Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lady Shiva has to be in. I don't know how they'd make a fight with her and do it justice though. It obviously has to be a one-on-one, close quarters battle; and it should be more intimate and detailed than the current combat system. Press 'Y' to dodge the best martial artist in the world just won't feel cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have no idea how they plan to do any of the 1 on 1 battles.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Just people going through Batman's Rogue Gallery, I'd imagine. Also, as long as Shiva is in, they can pick Batmite and Penny Plunderer for all I care.
It'd be pretty cool if a Mad Hatter encounter caused Batman to deal with Bat-mite.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Are you sure the game wont actually feature the mask fusing as a plot point?

It might, but I always thought that was a dumb plot point. It's hard to know whether or not Black Mask's mask is fused to him in Arkham City since he's only seen in the very beginning fighting off some Tyger guards.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Action Tortoise posted:

It'd be pretty cool if a Mad Hatter encounter caused Batman to deal with Bat-mite.

I foresee hallucinogens and a crazy Alice in Wonderland funhouse, with him taking Barbara Gordon captive or something. It can be that whole bro-building moment where Bats gets Gordon to trust him.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Fuzz posted:

I foresee hallucinogens and a crazy Alice in Wonderland funhouse, with him taking Barbara Gordon captive or something. It can be that whole bro-building moment where Bats gets Gordon to trust him.

The new trailer shows Batman fighting a crowd of Copperheads. Since Copperhead can't clone himself/herself, I'd assume that that's either Mad Hatter, Scarecrow, or Cheshire in action.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pixeltendo posted:

he appears on one of the early artwork banners where the bat symbol is made up of mooks and bosses.

This one?

I don't see him. :shrug:

Nevertheless, I too would bet on KGBeast showing up. When else is anyone going to use him?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It might, but I always thought that was a dumb plot point. It's hard to know whether or not Black Mask's mask is fused to him in Arkham City since he's only seen in the very beginning fighting off some Tyger guards.

In the comics during the No Mans Land Story line he actually removed the Mask. Which due to having been fused onto his face left it a black skull and I believe that's were the skull face design for him came from. Lots of writers forgot it and thought he was still wearing a mask however.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

redbackground posted:

This one?

Nevertheless, I too would bet on KGBeast showing up. When else is anyone going to use him?

Directly above Bats right shoulder (on your left).

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

redbackground posted:

This one?

Is that Lockup on the right side with the shoulderpads?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

That's Deadshot, you goose!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Timeless Appeal posted:

The numbers were just a pretty simple code for messages such as “Fear will tear Gotham to shreds.”

It'd be really awesome if there was some sort of fear gas mass event, so Batman would have to contend with everyone, including innocent civilians, making his no killing style of gameplay even more important.

I'm just picturing a sandbox where the entire public wants you dead.. but you're Batman. It could be amazing.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

redbackground posted:

That's Deadshot, you goose!

Oh. Well poo poo.

I was using this for reference, curses! :argh:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Now that Games for Windows Live is shutting down, what happens to arkham asylum and arkham city?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

Now that Games for Windows Live is shutting down, what happens to arkham asylum and arkham city?

They're getting it patched out.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

Lady Shiva has to be in. I don't know how they'd make a fight with her and do it justice though. It obviously has to be a one-on-one, close quarters battle; and it should be more intimate and detailed than the current combat system. Press 'Y' to dodge the best martial artist in the world just won't feel cool.

its already been confirmed that there will be enemies that will counter you in the game, so having people dodge the greatest martial artist in the world is gonna be in the game anyway. That being said, a battle between Batman and Shiva where two of the most highly trained fisticuff badasses in the DCU would kind of suck due to exposing some of the combat systems limitations.

Who is that to the left of Deadhshot? is that someone confirmed or am I to still hold out hope it's nobody's favorite insane one-handed Russian merc?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

MrJacobs posted:

its already been confirmed that there will be enemies that will counter you in the game, so having people dodge the greatest martial artist in the world is gonna be in the game anyway. That being said, a battle between Batman and Shiva where two of the most highly trained fisticuff badasses in the DCU would kind of suck due to exposing some of the combat systems limitations.

Who is that to the left of Deadhshot? is that someone confirmed or am I to still hold out hope it's nobody's favorite insane one-handed Russian merc?

If it was choreographed and animated well, I'd settle for a balls hard QTE.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

If it was choreographed and animated well, I'd settle for a balls hard QTE.

What about if her different attacks required different buttons to counter, and had no flashy tells? The first time she did an attack, the game would slo-mo and tell you which button would counter it, and from then on you would have to memorise the correct buttons and recognise the attacks based on animations alone.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

BreakAtmo posted:

What about if her different attacks required different buttons to counter, and had no flashy tells? The first time she did an attack, the game would slo-mo and tell you which button would counter it, and from then on you would have to memorise the correct buttons and recognise the attacks based on animations alone.

You mean hard mode? :smug:

But seriously, something like the Ra's fight where it alternates between conventional combat and QTEs would be pretty rad.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

You mean hard mode? :smug:

But seriously, something like the Ra's fight where it alternates between conventional combat and QTEs would be pretty rad.

Yeah, I did hear that hard mode removes the visual tells. Basically that combined with different buttons to counter different moves.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

Maybe just have her use all of the thugs' attacks, or variations on them. Like for example, she has a regular attack that you can just counter, a "knife" attack that you have to dodge or knife counter, a "stun" attack that you have to dodge, and maybe other stuff that they could add. That'd require you to mix up your defenses and rely on what you've learned from the normal fights.

And then to force you to mix up your attacks, maybe at times you'd have to attack her differently similarly to the thug variations. For example, maybe she'd go into different stances where you'd have to use an aerial attack or a beatdown or she'd just block or counter.

So basically just mixing up every single enemy type into one enemy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

I have no idea how they plan to do any of the 1 on 1 battles.

I know it's a cardinal syn of action game design to have the final level/boss use controls and gameplay that are alien for the rest of the game, but for something like this I wouldn't mind if each boss had a totally unique way to fight them. Like each boss fight could be an area of the game unto itself. A Lady Shiva fight should play exactly like Injustice but without projectiles, just lots of environmental stuff. For Bane you know they'll just recycle the fight with him from Asylum, barf. Deathstroke could be like a Yakuza bossfight with him switching back and forth between guns/melee and dramatic QTEs as the fight goes on.

Deadshot's could take place over a large area of the city and be like the End fight in MGS3 where you have to flush him out or otherwise track him down with lots of different methods while he's taking shots at you. Copperhead could be a more confined slow paced kind of thing where you have to not let her get the drop on you too much or poison you too badly. Firefly could revolve around a single building with lots of vertical space where you have to try to reach him or get him down to your level to pummel (the trailers seem like they're going in this direction anyway), etc.

I do hope there's a "joke" assassin in there somewhere though like Mysterio in Spider-Man 2 or Letz Shake in No More Heroes. :)

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 22, 2013

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btu72XOW4YE

Super hyper-detailed Gamescom trailer analysis if anyone is interested. I thought it was interesting as someone who has only seen the Batman films and played the Arkham games.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

You really don't want to completely change the gameplay for the final battle. I loved Space Marine but the final boss fight sucked for that very reason.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

BreakAtmo posted:

The average thug is pretty slow, has a massive grace period for counters and does not perform counters themselves. Shiva would not be any of those things. The regular combat could work quite well with just a much smaller window for mistakes and maybe an utterly frantic pace, with just the change that counter functions only as a block now, not as a block-counter-attack. Attacking her ,too overtly outside a window of opportunity, could prompt counter-attack from her however.

You can also do extra Batman-y things like having to use gadgets to throw her off balance (but a particular trick would only work once) or use the environment to create bigger openings.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

HenessyHero posted:

The average thug is pretty slow, has a massive grace period for counters and does not perform counters themselves. Shiva would not be any of those things. The regular combat could work quite well with just a much smaller window for mistakes and maybe an utterly frantic pace, with just the change that counter functions only as a block now, not as a block-counter-attack. Attacking her ,too overtly outside a window of opportunity, could prompt counter-attack from her however.

You can also do extra Batman-y things like having to use gadgets to throw her off balance (but a particular trick would only work once) or use the environment to create bigger openings.

So kind of like the Freeze fight where tricks only work once, but with more focus on a brawl? I can get behind that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

HenessyHero posted:

This would be cool but way too frustrating for the average gamer, so it'll probably never happen.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Looks like we got a new trailer for Blackgate. I'm hoping the transfer to 2.5D isn't awful like it was with the new Castlevania game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1vDe7Tf_g

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Starting today, you can get a code for Arkham Origins if you buy certain Nvidia graphics cards: http://techreport.com/news/25299/batman-arkham-origins-bundled-with-select-geforce-graphics-cards

I can't seem to find which digital distribution method it uses, but since it's not EA or Ubisoft, I'm going to guess (hope) that it's Steam.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

404notfound posted:

Starting today, you can get a code for Arkham Origins if you buy certain Nvidia graphics cards: http://techreport.com/news/25299/batman-arkham-origins-bundled-with-select-geforce-graphics-cards

I can't seem to find which digital distribution method it uses, but since it's not EA or Ubisoft, I'm going to guess (hope) that it's Steam.

The game is Steamworks.

I got Arkham City from a guy on ebay for £15 through the nvidia promotion for that game. :getin:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Azraden posted:

Looks like we got a new trailer for Blackgate. I'm hoping the transfer to 2.5D isn't awful like it was with the new Castlevania game.

I spotted Bronze Tiger, so I wonder if that makes him more likely to be one of the 8 assassins in regular Origins.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Azraden posted:

I honestly think this looks terrible. It's like someone made a bad licensed game based on Arkham proper. No amount of lovely motion comics is going to help, either.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I honestly think this looks terrible. It's like someone made a bad licensed game based on Arkham proper. No amount of lovely motion comics is going to help, either.

Felt the same. Was planning on getting it day one, but after that trailer I might wait and see critic reactions.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah it looks like a bad cash in... really not impressed, especially since the Vita, at least, can do waaaay better.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nGhrE4fs8

Video of PhysX effects in Arkham Origins. Looks good, although why the video is 720p and horribly compressed when it's trying to show off graphical effects is beyond me. Either way, I appreciate the improvements that have been made to the Arkham games on PC, and I'd love to see the PC versions ported to next-gen. An Arkham Trilogy disc for PS4/XB1 with the games looking like maxed-out PC versions (1080p60, PhysX, DX10 effects like tessellation, maybe even 3D). Likely very easy to port.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Achievements for Origins were leaked recently: http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/2013/09/batman-arkham-origins-achivements-leak-reveals-another-assassin/

Apparently, Edward Nygma will become/already is the Riddler in this game and Lady Shiva is the sixth assassin.

jscolon2.0 posted:

The new trailer shows Batman fighting a crowd of Copperheads. Since Copperhead can't clone himself/herself, I'd assume that that's either Mad Hatter, Scarecrow, or Cheshire in action.

Pretty sure that she just drugged him with poison.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 21, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Apparently, Edward Nygma will become/already is the Riddler in this game and Lady Shiva is the sixth assassin.

Not unexpected, but it's nice to get the confirmation.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty sure that she just drugged him with poison.

Occam's razor wise, you're right. Counterpoint, all those are cooler characters than Copperhead.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Apparently, Lady Shiva is the sixth assassin.

Oh good. I was hoping to see a decent representative of the League of Assassins it just wouldn't be right without one.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Ugh, multiplayer achievements. I loving hate multiplayer achievements. Often times, those are the only ones keeping me from 100%'ing games. I only work on achievements that help me enjoy every corner of the game, and as much as it was a chore sometime I got them all for AA and AC. Though, maybe the MP will be vastly improved from the beta impressions and it'll be a lot of fun to play. I can only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arkhamverse Forums posted:

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has announced that Batman: Arkham Origins will be receiving a season pass for downloadable content.

The Batman: Arkham Origins season pass includes the Gotham by Gaslight and Brightest Day Batman skins, as well as the New Millenium and Infinite Earths skins packs.

The pass also features Arkham Origins Initiation, a new mode where gamers will play as Bruce Wayne before he became Batman. This includes a "final test to prove himself worthy" in a battle against his teacher, Kirigi.

That explains where Batman got his detective skills. :v:

• Locked thread