Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
New Comic!

Tarquin's a cold blooded son of a bitch, but he's nothing if not pragmatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yowza.

The hits keep on coming.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ho-o-oly gently caress. :stare:

He actually did it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I just yelped holy poo poo loud enough that I woke my roommate up. Who is now beating me over the head with a pillow.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
That was an absolutely perfect response to what happened.

I love it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if Nale actually had something in mind for this or if he was just so stupid as to think that telling him that he killed Malick wouldn't gently caress him over.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's an interesting reversal at the start of this strip (and at the end of the previous one). Usually, it's the good characters trying to talk the evil/neutral ones into joining forces to save the world/universe/multiverse by pointing out they all lose if the world/universe/multiverse is destroyed or conquered.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Nale is/was an idiot. What did he think Tarquin would do? He got what he deserved. Finally, the Linear Guild is done.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Burlew is in the zone lately.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
I like how Tarquin really tried to give him every out he could, just Nale was too prideful and arrogant to take them. You get the sense that Tarquin really DOES care for his kids, but his goal takes precedence over everything.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Holy poo poo, now that is well done. He is trying to be a god father there - lord knows I've had near identical arguments with my dad. Fighting over stupid pride when love is at the core of it.

And then he reminds us that he is ultimately an evil villain.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I actually thought if anything would happen to nale it only would after they revealed what sabines deal was, so that caught me by surprise. I guess in one of those 20/20 hindsight things Durkon pointing out the linear guild was down for the count was a clue.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Sabine's going to be upset.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Thank God, I was ready for that about 400 chapters ago.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Sabine and V are watching this on the TV.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope Nale enjoys his afterlife as a Lemure. Just kidding he won't enjoy anything ever again only pain and the feeling of having your skin turned to mush because you're one of these.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

J Detan posted:

I like how Tarquin really tried to give him every out he could, just Nale was too prideful and arrogant to take them. You get the sense that Tarquin really DOES care for his kids, but his goal takes precedence over everything.
Me too; I liked the whole dynamic with Tarquin, Nale and Elan; Tarquin caring for his sons by considering Elan the hero and Nale as a protégé, but Nale was too stubborn and Tarquin had his limit and is ultimately still a lawful evil warlord.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Goddamn, main characters are dropping like flies. Durkon. Malack. Nale. Zz'Ditri.

Thog might be dead too (but we never saw the body so probably not).

I swear that everyone except Belkar has died!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The best part of this is the look of utter :smug: on Nale's face as Tarquin drags him away, like he thinks his father is going to give him a pat on the back and a lollipop for killing his best friend after failing at his objectives and then stopping just short of disowning him as his sire. The final ignominy is that Nale doesn't even rate being killed by a primary antagonist, let alone a PC.

I do wonder how Elan is going to take this. It's not like he's got much good history to speak of with his brother, but he's on the nice end of Good and all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:stare:

Well... uh... that was the last thing I was expecting.

Sabine is going to be pissed.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if Nale actually had something in mind for this or if he was just so stupid as to think that telling him that he killed Malick wouldn't gently caress him over.

A certain evil dwarven cleric is brought out of whatever closet she' been hiding in for the last 800 strips (probably not).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, it's... Nice(?) to have those occasional reminders of just why Tarquin is the leader of what's presumably the world's harshest country. Honestly, I'm surprised he gave Nale as many chances as he did as soon as the truth on Malack came out.

Now I'm imagining two scenarios: Elan goes from "never acknowledge dad as much as is possible" to "actively attempting to kill Tarquin" now, or he starts to get ready to fight Tarquin right on the spot, only for Haley to subdue him... And then telling Tarquin exactly where he can shove it. :v:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
What does Tarquin have to do to prevent Nale from being revived? Fire? Can you revive ash?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Yet another amazing Tarquin moment. The subtle details I really enjoyed this time was how Tarquin's face doesn't change at all after the reveal while everyone else is shocked, and how he loving keeps one hand folded behind his back while stabbing Nale.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, the question is, is this the final end for Nale?

Sabine could try and get him raised, or maybe even Elan could (Durkon does have the diamond for one cast of ressurection)

Of course, Tarquin might try and stop that.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Soylentbits posted:

What does Tarquin have to do to prevent Nale from being revived? Fire? Can you revive ash?

If you have a caster capable of casting True Resurrection, then lack of a body is no handicap, but it would prevent Raise Dead from being cast. The most sure fire way to prevent someone from being raised is to trap their soul, either with a spell or turning them undead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now officially the last time Nale and Sabine saw each other.

And look at the dialogue, too. She tells him "Don't do anything too rash and don't trust any of them", Nale proceeds to do both of these things back to back.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 21, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I guess Rich really is OK.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Soylentbits posted:

It actually pretty hard for Lawful evil guys like Nale with no real god to be raised as the Devils that get his soul can just hold onto it. Unless someone with a decent rank in Hell buys his soul and allows him to be raised it won't happen. (And the only devil we know that could do that is Lee and he may not care enough.)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I guess that since Nale didn't want any nepotism, then getting killed for murdering Tarquin's friend is really something he should've forseen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You know, ever since like, strip 100, like 8 years ago, I wanted this to happen.

And it's awesome. The fact that he couldn't think of anything to say makes it all the sweeter.

mmkay posted:

Well, I guess that since Nale didn't want any nepotism, then getting killed for murdering Tarquin's friend is really something he should've forseen.

He's a moron.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:golfclap: And the 'Republic Serial Villain' is finally put down.

Tarquin may think he's the villain of Elan's story, but Nale thought he was the main character. That always turns out well.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

And it's awesome. The fact that he couldn't think of anything to say makes it all the sweeter.

Or, alternatively, potentially being stabbed in the lung(s).

I'm wondering now if this'll end up biting Tarquin in the rear end by making the people of his country realize that he's an evil bastard only a step or two below Xykon that really will stop at nothing to see himself in power. I'd imagine a father-on-son murder (can't think of the exact -cide at the moment) is treated as badly as it is here in reality, if not moreso.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Regalingualius posted:

I'm wondering now if this'll end up biting Tarquin in the rear end by making the people of his country realize that he's an evil bastard only a step or two below Xykon that really will stop at nothing to see himself in power. I'd imagine a father-on-son murder (can't think of the exact -cide at the moment) is treated as badly as it is here in reality, if not moreso.

I doubt it. Nale is wanted dead or alive for murder here, after all: without Tarquin's protection I'd be amazed if a couple of members of that army didn't take the opportunity to pad out their salary a bit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Either that or: look at how hardcore our general is, brought his own son to justice, what a leader etc.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Nale was a wanted criminal in the Empire of Blood. His only lifeline was that he was the son of Tarquin. Given all the other atrocities Tarquin can get away with, all something like this does is show is how "just" Tarquin can be.
edit: beat twice.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Or, alternatively, potentially being stabbed in the lung(s).

I doubt that a simple case of filicide (:eng101:) is going to even faze the soliders of the Empire of Blood, whose official leader is an evil red dragon. Especially when the ones who just witnessed the event, just a moment ago overheard him loudly admit to killing their head priest.

The real question is what Elan's reaction will be.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
:slick:

This just makes me really curious about Sabine and Qarr, now. I guess both while shift towards the Devils for the final acts, serving as the third wheel like the Linear Guild and Tarquin was. (Assuming Tarquin actually does stay put like he says.)

I am actually kind of surprised in the about of change and shake up in the story, now. The party has been dramatically altered from just a few books ago, the antagonists all have had a big shake up (And in the case of the Big Evils, are moving to actively win.) and the point of everything is changing.

And, of course, Beklar is due to die.

Say what you will, but Rich can scribble a mean story.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Moddington posted:

I doubt that a simple case of filicide (:eng101:) is going to even faze the soliders of the Empire of Blood, whose official leader is an evil red dragon. Especially when the ones who just witnessed the event, just a moment ago overheard him loudly admit to killing their head priest.

The real question is what Elan's reaction will be.

Also the army knows that Tarquin is really in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who What Now posted:

I really like this strip because it illustrates the two most important things to Nale; 1)Having Sabine by his side, and 2)Being able to hear himself speak. It more or less shows the core of Nale's character in one shot. When Nale has everything important taken away from him, he doesn't know what to do and panics. He goes for a way distant third, his weapon, and pays for it when Belkar falls on him.

That's nicely put. I thought he lost his poo poo a little disproportionately, but you're absolutely right; it crippled him with great precision.

E: read the latest

Wittgen posted:

Burlew is in the zone lately.

Fffffffffffffffffffffyep. Yes, he is.

I just noticed that he stabs Nale just as he is saying "as you wish". That is some cold-rear end poo poo.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 21, 2013