Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
It's passing and comparably easy to miss (compared to for ex. Talisker) in the taste (will recheck this tomorrow with what Dalwhinnie I have left) but very noticeable in the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

kidsafe posted:

Haha I was going to mention Dalwhinnie is slightly peaty, but got sidetracked. And yeah Glenkinchie is quite safe, I think the combination of it being a Lowland and owned by Diageo makes it sound boring when it's actually pretty good. Glengoyne is a good way to find out if you like sherry bombs or not. :p

Are you getting Glengoyne confused with Glendronach or Glenfarclas?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe but if so it's good he did because it made me think of a heavily sherried glengoyne and I think I'm going to look for one.

Pellethead
Aug 12, 2013
Hmm, maybe my palate is so completely overwhelmed by the Islay malts that I don't discern the peat in Dalwhinnie. Very possible, but I just don't taste it there myself so my peat receptors are probably overloaded. After all, I tend to drink mostly Lagavulin, Laphroaig and even have a partial bottle of Infinity. I'll have to detox my taste buds and go back and retaste the Dalwhinnie.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

kidsafe posted:

Balvenie or Glenfiddich would be my suggested starter malt for most.

I would second starting with Balvenie. I really enjoy the balvenie double wood; though it's not cheap.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

biglads posted:

Are you getting Glengoyne confused with Glendronach or Glenfarclas?
My experience with Glengoyne has largely been based on the 17yr (it's dirt cheap in the US) and various single cask XX's Choice bottlings. Logistically speaking, it makes sense that the younger bottlings don't get the sherry treatment I guess.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

kidsafe posted:

My experience with Glengoyne has largely been based on the 17yr (it's dirt cheap in the US) and various single cask XX's Choice bottlings. Logistically speaking, it makes sense that the younger bottlings don't get the sherry treatment I guess.

Ah OK :)

I've had some sherried Glengoyne, but from memory most I've had/seen isn't especially sherried, unlike the other two Glens I mentioned.

Someone gifted me a bottle of the Balvenie Caribbean Cask earlier this week. I have a problem with Balvenie, and that is that when the bottle gets opened, it always get emptied quicker than pretty much anything else. I might put it up against a Rum finished Benriach over the course of the coming weekend.

biglads fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 16, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Having now tried the Dalwhinnie again, I can say there is a recognizable peat burn also in the aftertaste, noticeable compared to the tamer G&M Craigellachie 1993 I had next to it. Reviewing notes I made earlier this year from the first 1/3 of the liter bottle it's possible to miss the peat at least if you've had something else before it.

edit:
Last night I had another go at Highland Park Thor and wrote down these notes:
Thor has a fruity scent hanging over the turf, bark, heather base. Some bread. Feels more gentle neat, watering hops peat up to 11. Taste not very floral, rather fruity like pineapple/mango mix, dry instead of sweet. With water little traces of fireplace, leather and nuttiness instead of fruits. Water seems to take it out of balance instead of adding to the mix. In total a nice whisky but IMO not an upgrade in quality from the standard 18yo, just a tad different.

The bar stocking Thor also had the 2006 bottling of Highland Park 25 which in short owns bones. Rich wood tones from the cask. Much darker than the Earl Magnus and Thor I had before it, reminding me of PX casked stuff, but nose hasn't got much dates or raisins going on for it so I think it might be just age. Smell bends almost to aged grain whisky. HP peat, bark and coffee. Alcohol bites a bit on the tongue. The taste has dark chocolate, cherry, bark, peat and moss with a bit of floral character. Dill in aftertaste along with pepper and peat. Some water opens it up gloriously. Taste gets a kiss of pear, peat backs down to not-burning levels, mouthfeel smooths out. Class A stuff, better than the currently sold 30yo.

They also had Port Ellen 6th release which although good left me a bit cold as I remember the 7th being better. This one had vinegar/pickle notes I wasn't that fond of.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 17, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Crosspost from the cocktail thread:

I'm sipping another manhattan with scotch right now, and it's loving delicious. I'm using Glenfiddich 15 year old scotch since I'm in the process of killing the bottle. I like the taste, but here's the rub. I know for the price I paid, I really shouldn't be using it as a mixer. Yet when I drink it neat, I like it but after reading all the reviews on it I have to honest and admit I just don't get all the flavors they talk about. I get the general scotch taste, but to pick it apart beyond that, I'm clueless. I enjoy it more in a mixer, it makes a good Old Fashioned and a good Manhattan. But for the price, I feel like I'm kind of overpaying for a whisky I'll just be using as a mixer.

Which leads to my question: If I'm using it just as a mixer, what's a good blended scotch to try? I've read excellent reviews of Teachers, Black Bottle, Famous Grouse, White Horse and Chivas 12. I'd be using the scotch for Manhattan's, Old Fashioned, Sours, Affinity and even Scotch and Soda. All of the ones I've mentioned are pretty close in price around here between 18-25 a bottle.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

You are overpaying and there's absolutely nothing wrong with your tastebuds. While the 15yo solera vatted 'Fiddich was still available in small 20cl bottles here I used to buy one every now and then exactly because of its blandness: nosing anything else next to it kind of helps pop out the distinctive aromas of that other dram. Some people like it but to me at least the solera vat stuff completely lacks any personality whatsoever.

For mixers most blends will do. Chivas is IIRC among the sweetest of the common blends while Teacher's is somewhat creamier. I would not recommend Famous Grouse for things other than cleaning.

I could kiss a German right now. Some German ebay shop was selling off a few bottles of Port Askaig 25. I'd already given up hope of finding another bottle after my current one is done with.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 21, 2013

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rxcowboy posted:

Crosspost from the cocktail thread:

I'm sipping another manhattan with scotch right now, and it's loving delicious. I'm using Glenfiddich 15 year old scotch since I'm in the process of killing the bottle. I like the taste, but here's the rub. I know for the price I paid, I really shouldn't be using it as a mixer. Yet when I drink it neat, I like it but after reading all the reviews on it I have to honest and admit I just don't get all the flavors they talk about. I get the general scotch taste, but to pick it apart beyond that, I'm clueless. I enjoy it more in a mixer, it makes a good Old Fashioned and a good Manhattan. But for the price, I feel like I'm kind of overpaying for a whisky I'll just be using as a mixer.

Which leads to my question: If I'm using it just as a mixer, what's a good blended scotch to try? I've read excellent reviews of Teachers, Black Bottle, Famous Grouse, White Horse and Chivas 12. I'd be using the scotch for Manhattan's, Old Fashioned, Sours, Affinity and even Scotch and Soda. All of the ones I've mentioned are pretty close in price around here between 18-25 a bottle.

At that price range, Teacher's is a good choice.

Also, the drink is called a "Rob Roy."

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
So I impulse bought a bottle of Booker's in a cool looking pine box. Trip and taste report to fallow. I also didn't notice it was 127.3 proof.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Booker's is tasty as all gently caress.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Stultus Maximus posted:

At that price range, Teacher's is a good choice.

Also, the drink is called a "Rob Roy."

At my local liquor store Teacher's is 26.99 for 1.75l.

However I literally only have 25 bucks I can spend on booze for the next two weeks, so I went with a sure thing: 1.76L of Evan Williams for 19 dollars. It's not the best, but I can make a dozen drinks out of it easy, so I won't be bored for the next two weeks.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Hello whisky thread, only just stumbled upon you. I picked up the whisky bug about a year and half ago, and currently I'm trying to taste as many different whiskys as possible.

I have a new favourite bottle I think. Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or 12. It really builds on the great flavours of the normal Glenmorangie. It adds a level of complexity and depth with sweet and apple flavours. It also has a nice mouth-filling syrupy texture(which I assume is due to the higher proof than the whisky I normally drink)

I really recommend it if you like sweeter tasting whisky and having looked at expert reviews online since purchasing it, I can only assume I have great taste.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

StorrowS posted:

Hello whisky thread, only just stumbled upon you. I picked up the whisky bug about a year and half ago, and currently I'm trying to taste as many different whiskys as possible.

I have a new favourite bottle I think. Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or 12. It really builds on the great flavours of the normal Glenmorangie. It adds a level of complexity and depth with sweet and apple flavours. It also has a nice mouth-filling syrupy texture(which I assume is due to the higher proof than the whisky I normally drink)

I really recommend it if you like sweeter tasting whisky and having looked at expert reviews online since purchasing it, I can only assume I have great taste.

Have you tried some Islay's whisky already ? Because I love the smoke taste, but I doesn't tried a lot of them, only Bowmore mainly. So maybe there is some other ones which can be nice to taste.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Luminaz posted:

Have you tried some Islay's whisky already ? Because I love the smoke taste, but I doesn't tried a lot of them, only Bowmore mainly. So maybe there is some other ones which can be nice to taste.

Yes, I've tried Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin. I quite like them, but I find I have to be in the right mood and I find the peaty/smoky taste very overpowering. The missus hates me drinking them because they smell so strong.

I'll put Bowmore on the list of whiskys I'd like to try.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

So I impulse bought a bottle of Booker's in a cool looking pine box. Trip and taste report to fallow. I also didn't notice it was 127.3 proof.

It's real good stuff. Don't be afraid to add a tiny bit of water to open it up though - you miss a lot from the proof. (Even though I kinda love the way the alcohol burn with it unaltered makes a cinnamony wood taste)

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

StorrowS posted:

Yes, I've tried Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin. I quite like them, but I find I have to be in the right mood and I find the peaty/smoky taste very overpowering. The missus hates me drinking them because they smell so strong.

I'll put Bowmore on the list of whiskys I'd like to try.

I really like Bowmore Legend as a cheaper and not overpowering but still smoky/peaty Islay.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I really like Bowmore Legend as a cheaper and not overpowering but still smoky/peaty Islay.

I just tasted Bowmore Legend and it's very less smoky than a Bowmore 15yo. I was even surprized by the taste, maybe the cask they use for it also change the usual taste of bowmore.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Planning ahead for when I had some cash in a few weeks. I want to try babby's first smoky whisky, I'm getting tired of things that are way too sweet.

What should I get that is smoky? Laphroaig? Johnny Walker Black?

My logic is even if it's too smoky and I don't like it neat I'll make some Old Fashioneds, Rob Roy's, or Collins style drinks to dilute the smoke flavor so it doesn't go to waste.

Also my local liquor store has a load of Compass Box blended scotches for decent prices ie 30-35 dollars. Are any of them any good?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

rxcowboy posted:

Planning ahead for when I had some cash in a few weeks. I want to try babby's first smoky whisky, I'm getting tired of things that are way too sweet.

What should I get that is smoky? Laphroaig? Johnny Walker Black?

My logic is even if it's too smoky and I don't like it neat I'll make some Old Fashioneds, Rob Roy's, or Collins style drinks to dilute the smoke flavor so it doesn't go to waste.

Also my local liquor store has a load of Compass Box blended scotches for decent prices ie 30-35 dollars. Are any of them any good?

For a decent smokey blended, try Black Bottle. It's an Islay blended, and usually runs me about 20 bucks. You can try JW Double Black, as it's basically JW Black with a more smoke-leaning blend ratio.

For a single malt, starting out with Laphroaig is like buying an AK47 as your first gun. If you think you can handle it, more power to you, but it's a heavy hitter. If you're ready to just dive in there, pick up the standard Laphroaig 10 or the Ardbeg 10 and take it from there (my fave is the Laphroaig Quarter Cask). You'll know pretty quick if smoke and peat is your thing.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

rxcowboy posted:

Compass Box makes some pretty amazing stuff, and I could definitely recommend everything in their lineup. One of my favorites is their Great King Street blended whisky. It has a great deal more character and depth to it than a regular blended whisky (mostly due to its high proportion of malt to grain). It's not a heavy-hitter though, if that's what you're looking for. They also make the Peat Monster which, despite its name, isn't as monsterous as you would think. It is a very good, mildly smoky whisky which isn't as crazy as Laphroaig.

That being said, if you really, really want something smoky, it's hard not to suggest the two big boys: Laphroaig and Ardbeg.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Compass Box loves blending 3 malts for its particular house style: mainly Clynelish, some portions of Teaninich and Dailuaine. Peat Monster adds Ardmore. It's fantastic stuff aged in the finest quality wood casks.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

rxcowboy posted:

Start with Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 to determine if you like peat that punches you in the face or peat that offers you a slower more earthy intensity.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Start with Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 to determine if you like peat that punches you in the face or peat that offers you a slower more earthy intensity.

I'm guessing Laphroaig is the smoke monster, and Ardberg is the earthy one?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

rxcowboy posted:

I'm guessing Laphroaig is the smoke monster, and Ardberg is the earthy one?
They both punch you in the face. Laphroaig is sweeter and more medicinal, with a cleaner peat taste. Ardbeg peat is a bit grungier with a lighter, creamier spirit.

Peatiness from top to bottom for Islay house styles:
1. Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Kilchoman (three way tie)
2. Caol Ila
3. Lagavulin
4. Bowmore
5. Bruichladdich
6. Bunnahabhain

Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain have negligible peat, Bowmore is moderately peated. The rest are very peaty.

There are non-Islay peaty whiskies as well. Talisker has a very unique style. Ardmore is very similar to Laphroaig, perhaps a bit lighter overall. Highland Park is medium smoky, and the peat is nothing like the Islay style.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
The only whiskeys I cant stand are the peaty / smoky ones. I did happen to stumble into a cigar shop in Tampa, FL called the Cigar Castle. They had a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle, Pappy Vanwinkle, and Vanwinkle Family Reserve, as well as a bottle of George T stag and a hand full of other rare and stupidly expensive whiskeys and cognacs. After sampling the 3 from ORVW I had a $120 bar tab.....

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Littlemill 1992 20yo cask #11 (Berry Bros & Rudd 2013) 54,5%

Nose a bit grain-y with light turfy peat (far away from Islay), bookleather, roots, ginger, hay, pear and a bit more smoke with water, then a pungent, sandy berryjuice smell like in gummi candy that I can't place exactly. Taste complex, changing. Pear lemonade, then a wisp of smoke, assam tea and raw unsweetened cocoa powder. Once again lowland surprises with whisky that is characteristically light and easy to drink but also very unique and far away from for example the agreeable, sophisticated but very light Glenkinchie in both nose and taste yet very, very satisfying in total. Vegetablish, rooty fresh finish like turnip surprises at the tail of an admirably long woody and slightly dry aftertaste that feels old. Slight staleness in a positive way marking a mature product.

edit: Whiskyfun seems to have liked cask #10 of this series. I guess this stuff was peaking because Berry Bros seems to have put out a set of 20-22yo Littlemills from 1988-1992 with some variety but a good standard of quality between 2011-13. There are a few other casks in the series for which several folks at Whiskybase have given averages of 88-89 so they seem to continue the trend. Out of the several on offer I picked cask #11 because I didn't see any reviews or points for it and it was from 1992 which was Littlemill's last year.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 30, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So in a nice turn of events, I just discovered there is a scotch bar about a five minute walk from where I work. They have 120 single malts there, out of this list what should I try to get as diverse a picture as possible of the world of scotch?

http://www.abs.net/~scotchjh/scotch.html

I've had Glenfiddich 15 which was "nice" but to be honest it struck me a a bit of a bland, sweet drink with a muddled flavor profile. I want to try something that will smack me in the loving mouth. What on that list will taste like cold sea salt air, or smoke like all of you gents keep talking about?

My birthday is coming up, so I figure I could go here and sample, then splurge and buy a bottle of something I really like.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

For some reason this thread dropped off my radar, but I'm glad I found it again. :cheers:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

rxcowboy posted:

So in a nice turn of events, I just discovered there is a scotch bar about a five minute walk from where I work. They have 120 single malts there, out of this list what should I try to get as diverse a picture as possible of the world of scotch?

I've had Glenfiddich 15 which was "nice" but to be honest it struck me a a bit of a bland, sweet drink with a muddled flavor profile. I want to try something that will smack me in the loving mouth. What on that list will taste like cold sea salt air, or smoke like all of you gents keep talking about?

My birthday is coming up, so I figure I could go here and sample, then splurge and buy a bottle of something I really like.

I'm jealous! There is a lot on that list that I have yet to try. I recommend you give Highland Parks 12 a shot. It's very tasty, with a tiny bit of smoke. If you want to try something that will punch you in the mouth with smoke, try Ardbeg or Laphroaig. I'm partial to Ardbeg myself, but both are very good.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

rxcowboy posted:

For smack you in the mouth:
Ardbeg 10yr -- Welcome to Peat, Smoke, not too salty
Lagavulin 16 -- widely available, sort of a standard go-to for "Good" (above entry level but not super expensive) Islay scotch, like licking a campfire.

For other Varietiees/Good sample.
Glenmorangie Port (Quinta Ruban) -- Cleaner and more defined sweetness than the glenfiddich, my favorite of the glenmorangie double matured line
Oban 14 -- Nice smokey Highland, pretty widely available so good to know if you like it.
Talisker 10 -- A Pepper note makes taliskers pretty distinctive IMX, a little smoky.
At least one of Jura 10, Jura 16, or Ledaig 15 -- The small island malts have the most of the cold salt sea air feeling I think you're describing, but they won't smack you the way something more heavily peated will.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Had this last night.

:feelsgood:

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Went on a booze run today, decided to get the blended scotch so I could make some scotch cocktails on the cheap. I ended up getting Teacher's Highland Cream, because it's well reviewed and 1.75 liters cost me 25 dollars. For comparison, a 750 of JW Black was 23. Most days I hate living in Maryland, but then it comes time to buy booze and I get happy again.

To be honest, I had low expectations because so many review sites poo poo all over blended scotches. After tasting it however, I have to admit I'm enjoying this way more than Glenfiddich 15. The Glen tasted nice, but it was just a muddled blended of sweet flavors. Very nice, very easy to drink, but for 55 dollars, it just isn't something I would be buying again. The Teacher's though actually has notes I can distinguish. On the nose I can pick up an iodine note that has a Band-Aid like smell, smoke, a touch of hay and citrus, and an oceanic brine/seaweed smell. In the mouth it's heavy as gently caress and creamy. I mixed a scotch and soda because I wanted something light and simple while I was cooking dinner. But even with club soda cutting it, Teacher's had such a presence in my mouth. And it was very creamy, after I swallowed I still felt a silky coating feeling. It's not a very sweet taste, but I get malt, iodine, salt and "bacon fat" that other reviewers mentioned. The flavors sound discordant, but they all work really well together.

This scotch was almost a throw away purchase, when I went to the liquor store my goal was to pick up supplies to make some cocktails that I'd never had before like the Negroni. However I sort of just want to put making those cocktails off and throw a couple of ice cubes in a glass and go for the Teacher's.

I know this isn't high end stuff by any means, but at least now I sort of "get" what intrigues people with scotch, and I can't wait to explore more!

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

This was on the shelf of a bar I went to some time ago:

Mackinlay master blender Richard Paterson's attempt to recreate the taste of whisky left over from an expedition to the Antarctic a century ago. Since it was selling at $100 a pop and it's a blended whisky I'd not have bought a bottle but as the reviews I had read were very positive I thought I'd have a glass out of curiosity. Turns out this is a hell of a thing for blended whisky. I'd still not buy an entire bottle at the price it retails but Paterson isn't making GBS threads folks about being a master craftsman as this is far away from the blends I've drank in richness and persistence of taste.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

If you like it, gives Bakers a try. It's possibly my favorite bourbon.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

I've never tried any, so I'm looking to personally commemorate a special occasion with a good bottle of Japanese whisky for myself. In general I'm a much bigger fan of bourbon than scotch. I tend to have Old Granddad on hand for an everyday kind of drink, and Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace for something special. Any suggestions on something I might like? I've built up a list of suggestions from this thread to try out, but somehow skipped over everything Japanese.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

direspoon posted:

I've never tried any, so I'm looking to personally commemorate a special occasion with a good bottle of Japanese whisky for myself. In general I'm a much bigger fan of bourbon than scotch. I tend to have Old Granddad on hand for an everyday kind of drink, and Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace for something special. Any suggestions on something I might like? I've built up a list of suggestions from this thread to try out, but somehow skipped over everything Japanese.
Yamazaki 12 ($50) or 18 ($150) depending on your budget. You may find Nikka whiskies as well, but they are even more expensive and IMO generally inferior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

I'd suggest the Hakushu 12 instead of the Yamazaki but both are safe choices for getting introduced to Japanese single malts, one with more floral and fresh notes and the other with heavier wood tones. I wouldn't advise Hakushu 18 or Yamazaki 18 as first purchase as the bottles cost 1,5x/2x more than Scottish single malt of comparable age and quality, and at least to me neither bottling has managed to endear itself enough for a repeat purchase at the price they retail. I agree with kidsafe on the Nikka product line.

edit: Corryvreckan comparison

I opened a new Corry bottle some weeks ago that according to its tats is 2012 stock. I wanted to compare it to a sample of a bottle of the same stuff I'd had before and saved a 3cl sample from. I wanted to do this not only to compare between bottles possibly from different batches but also to see if the samples I save hold well in their bottles.

I was pretty sure the older bottle (bottled in 2011) looked darker in the glass. I swapped them around in my hands and looked at them in different lighting condintions but couldn't shake the effect so I decided to snap a photo to confirm it.

At cask strength I couldn't discern many differences, nothing at least that I could put down into notes except for the longer tail in the 2011 bottling's aftertaste, but with some water more things started to happen. There's an aroma and taste in the older bottling that's missing from the younger one. While both still give me that beautiful smell of a feast table laden with meaty dishes it's like there's a dish missing from the younger one. Something that has char and bitter sweetness that reminds me very much of Alligator. Like an entire batch of a certain cask finish is missing from the mix? Sips 2 and 3 confirm the impression. Even after I've added more water to the old one it still retains a richer palate.

While nosing at one point the older glass hit me with heavy burnt paper/gunpowder notes like the air on a new year's eve that I couldn't coax out of the younger one. It's like the 2011 bottling has everything the 2012 one does and then some.

The better bottle's code is L11 157.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 15, 2013