Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now officially the last time Nale and Sabine saw each other.

And look at the dialogue, too. She tells him "Don't do anything too rash and don't trust any of them", Nale proceeds to do both of these things back to back.
Quoting this because I'm bad at reading comprehension to add: of course he did, probably would have done so anyway because he was an arrogant idiot, but more pertinently in this case he couldn't hear her. And neither could he hear her tell him she loved him.

drat, Burlew. Stone cold. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Consider me pleasantly disproven :stare:

Goodbye hopefully forever Nale, you dumb bastard. I wonder how Thog will take the news :ohdear:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

My Lovely Horse posted:

Quoting this because I'm bad at reading comprehension to add: of course he did, probably would have done so anyway because he was an arrogant idiot, but more pertinently in this case he couldn't hear her. And neither could he hear her tell him she loved him.

drat, Burlew. Stone cold. :smith:

He's going to hell, she lives in hell. I don't think it'll be too much of an issue, potential backstabbing aside.

Given how irrelevant Nale is now, especially now that he's dead, I wonder if they'll give him to Sabine in return for her working with Qarr to keep doing...whatever with the Gates.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ursine Asylum posted:

He's going to hell, she lives in hell. I don't think it'll be too much of an issue, potential backstabbing aside.

Given how irrelevant Nale is now, especially now that he's dead, I wonder if they'll give him to Sabine in return for her working with Qarr to keep doing...whatever with the Gates.

This is a nice idea but I doubt we'll see Nale again for more than a panel. He's toast. Any further appearance would require an arc and that would eliminate the point of removing the character.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
It figures Nale finally gets offed right around the time he starts to get some interesting development.

I actually expected to hear a bit more about how Nale grew up under the tutelage of Tarquin and company before this happened. But I guess there isn't much to tell. The text as is establishes "Evil Dad and his rear end in a top hat friends tried their hands at parenting and hosed it up, Nale resents having his entire life steered by other people, becomes an impulsive vengeful dick" pretty clearly without any explicit stories about Malack being a bad tutor or whatever.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sebmojo posted:

I just noticed that he stabs Nale just as he is saying "as you wish". That is some cold-rear end poo poo.

That day, Nale was amazed to discover that when Tarquin was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
And when Nale said "..." He was really saying "Oww that was my lung you dick."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Capfalcon posted:

That day, Nale was amazed to discover that when Tarquin was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
"-but you are a petulant little poo poo who murdered my best friend, and then spit on the fact that I was willing to let it go."

Seriously, Tarquin deserves at least some credit as an Evil father here.

EDIT: How did I almost miss a Princess Bride reference? :doh: In my defense, I work nights and it's 7 AM.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 21, 2013

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
I see Rich is going with the "kill off people who have outlived their story usefulness" vibe, and I really love it. Nale was a really tired distraction IMO.

Capfalcon posted:

Good Post.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Haha god drat yes. "No way he'd kill of Nale." Go Tarquin.

Rich is great at the capital-E villains. The others were going to off Nale years prior if it weren't for Tarquin loving his son, but dumbass threw it all back into his face one too many times and got put down like a sick dog. Probably the best outcome for him really given what the others could have done.

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!
Hmm... any chance that Sabine will get Nale "raised" as a some kind of demon? It would follow the same arc as Durkon- revive a boring, "done" character with some serious power-up and a more direct connection to the lower planes. It feels to me that Nale will still have story usefulness as long as Sabine is involved; all those "we'll be together... forever" hints that Rich has been dropping about them.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I think they'll be together forever, but it will be in an ironic way, like Sabine will be personally put in charge of torturing the particular group of larva or lemures that Nale ends up in.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm mostly excited we finally got to see Tarquin show some character outside of the perfectly pragmatic overlord. He really wants his kids to like him, even if it doesn't lead to the best narrative or tactical actions.

Judging by the current trend of this book, I'd give Tarquin 20 more strips before he dies at most.

Also I doubt we'll see Nale return as a fiend. It's not really a common D&D trend, and for good reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ASMR Yodeling posted:

Hmm... any chance that Sabine will get Nale "raised" as a some kind of demon? It would follow the same arc as Durkon- revive a boring, "done" character with some serious power-up and a more direct connection to the lower planes. It feels to me that Nale will still have story usefulness as long as Sabine is involved; all those "we'll be together... forever" hints that Rich has been dropping about them.

Nale's character arc is basically defined as wanting to play with the Evil big boys but not having the skills or cunning to back it up. What exactly do you think is going to happen to him in a world filled entirely with centuries old Tarquins except they respect him even less? Hell is not a kind place to a wannabe, and powerful fiends earned it in the exact same way that Nale has consistently failed at in life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think it's kind of clear by Nale's final words that what he wanted all along was to be free, but that's kind of difficult to do when your dad's a lawful evil control freak.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's kind of clear by Nale's final words that what he wanted all along was to be free, but that's kind of difficult to do when your dad's a lawful evil control freak.

If he wanted to be free he could have just, you know, not come back to his father's empire. Or not started a coup in the first place so he wouldn't become a wanted criminal. Or not tried to kill Malack for no adequately explained reason. He doesn't just want to be free, he wants to prove to his father that he's worth taking seriously. And he got his wish.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I'm glad I was wrong about Nale. I thought for sure he'd be dragged out until the very end of the comic.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

Judging by the current trend of this book, I'd give Tarquin 20 more strips before he dies at most.
I could only really see Tarquin being defeated by either Elan or Xykon, and I don't think either of them would do so until the next book.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But Elan has a secret plan to win Vietnam defeat Tarquin.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Trapezium Dave posted:

I could only really see Tarquin being defeated by either Elan or Xykon, and I don't think either of them would do so until the next book.

I wasn't expecting Durkon, Malack, Z or Nale to die when they did, either!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

greatn posted:

But Elan has a secret plan to win Vietnam defeat Tarquin.
I think too much has happened recently for that to still be narratively cohesive, but I will be happy to be pleasantly surprised.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trapezium Dave posted:

I think too much has happened recently for that to still be narratively cohesive, but I will be happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Step 1: Durkon I'm going to need you to become a vampire, now bear with me for a minute...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

:slick: :slick: :slick:

Best thing that could have happened. Thank you, Rich.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

greatn posted:

Step 1: Durkon I'm going to need you to become a vampire, now bear with me for a minute...
Step 2: No matter what happens, make sure Belkar and Nale don't die.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

It would have had no narrative purpose to have existed at all if it wasn't going to come back into play.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The problem with Tarquin isn't defeating him - pretty sure the Order could swing it - but defeating him in a way that doesn't put him in the history books as Legendary General Tarquin. Or to put it another way, how to defy the man who has apparently calculated defiance firmly into his master plan. Been wondering how a cleric could help with that for a while now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Notice that Elan was trying for the exact same kind of prideful disobedience, until Nale beat him to it. Tarquin was letting him know just what the choices he had were.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Really I don't think it should matter to the order or Elan (and it probably doesn't) if Tarquin goes down in history. What's more important is if he is oppressing entire nation states in the present. The world's better of with him dead whether he makes the encyclopedia or not.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

greatn posted:

Really I don't think it should matter to the order or Elan (and it probably doesn't) if Tarquin goes down in history. What's more important is if he is oppressing entire nation states in the present. The world's better of with him dead whether he makes the encyclopedia or not.

He'll inspire another rear end in a top hat to do the same and then you're back to square one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't really understand one thing, which is; Tarquin isn't currently known. He's a power behind the throne. If he were to die right here, history would ignore him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

my dad posted:

He'll inspire another rear end in a top hat to do the same and then you're back to square one.
And he's fully aware of that, as well.

I'd argue about "not currently known." He is the army general. And knowing him he probably has some failsafe in place where, if dramatically killed by his son, someone goes out and reveals the truth about who really ruled all these empires.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

I don't really understand one thing, which is; Tarquin isn't currently known. He's a power behind the throne. If he were to die right here, history would ignore him.

Haha, his last words after someone points thus out should totally be "ohshi"

Another solution, if this were a more modern campaign would be to videotape him bragging about being the real power and the dragon queen being a fat buffoon or something, and reveal it to her.

Are there any spells like that? Like a reverse scrying where you broadcast an image?

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 21, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Something told me to scroll down row by row, since sometimes I accidentally read forward. I'm so glad I did - that was amazing.

They won't make one, but I'd buy a miniature of Tarquin. Dude is a well-rounded, badass villain.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, Nale can't see the writing on the wall when it's in 10 feet high flaming letters, can he? And I really like that Tarquin's group are also friends and not just opportunistic collaborators. All in all, this was a great strip.

The only thing I don't quite get is way Elan seem so distraught over Nale's death. Sure, he is his brother, but he came to terms with the fact that his dad is a giant rear end in a top hat, surely he must realize that Nale really was beyond redemption, too

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

As much as I think OotS as a whole wouldn't suit the medium, I really want to hear "If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, I get to be a legend." voiced, because goddamn it's good. I'm just not sure whose voice would do it justice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Penis Ouija posted:

As much as I think OotS as a whole wouldn't suit the medium, I really want to hear "If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, I get to be a legend." voiced, because goddamn it's good. I'm just not sure whose voice would do it justice.
Liam Neeson.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Penis Ouija posted:

Clancy Brown

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

e X posted:

The only thing I don't quite get is way Elan seem so distraught over Nale's death. Sure, he is his brother, but he came to terms with the fact that his dad is a giant rear end in a top hat, surely he must realize that Nale really was beyond redemption, too

He likely knows Nale is beyond redemption, but he still sees Nale as family that he wishes he could get along with even if he knows he can't, and is still a good guy that just saw his brother die by his father's hand.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Colonel Cool posted:

Yet another amazing Tarquin moment. The subtle details I really enjoyed this time was how Tarquin's face doesn't change at all after the reveal while everyone else is shocked, and how he loving keeps one hand folded behind his back while stabbing Nale.

This is something I've noticed about Tarquin -- when he's getting his way or things are under his control, he folds his arms behind his back. It's his tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ASMR Yodeling posted:

Hmm... any chance that Tsukiko will get Miko "raised" as some kind of blackguard?