Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i think for my purposes i'll just use the arduino autotune library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

are you afraid of c?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bloody posted:

are you afraid of c?

yes, i am afraid of c. i'm not afraid to admit it...

you guys know that the most coding i've ever done was html when i was like 9?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c is the simplest thing. i think everybody understands pointers at this bit, then its p much enums, structs and dont forget to break out of your cases. its just that ppl take a look at linux.c and freak out cause macros? idk.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you wanna actually learn from your idiot spare time project do it in c it won't be that bad and you'll learn a whole bunch

if you're using msp430s which i think you said you were then its quite easy

how to do embedded development:
10 read the datasheet
20 goto 10

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

if you wanna actually learn from your idiot spare time project do it in c it won't be that bad and you'll learn a whole bunch

how to do embedded development:
10 read the datasheet
20 goto 10

sometimes i browse datasheets for random chips

ive discovered a lot of nifty ICs that way

or ill find one member of a new line of chips and go look up the whole line, see what it does

maxim and analog devices make some cool poo poo

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bloody posted:

i was gonna go for the atmega328p

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i really want to be cool and awesome and etch my own pcb and surface mount everything cause i deserve the best techmology has to offer. :c00lbutt:

i had the idea of adding an rfid reader and labelling my sealed food with rfid stickers so you could just tap the sticker on the machine and it would set itself to the right temperature.

one can dream... :allears:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

WorkingPeer posted:

i was gonna go for the atmega328p

oh okay. also a reasonable choice, also pretty harmless in c.

WorkingPeer posted:

i really want to be cool and awesome and etch my own pcb and surface mount everything cause i deserve the best techmology has to offer. :c00lbutt:

don't bother etching your own because getting good-looking pcbs done elsewhere is insanely cheap and the results are way better than you can do yourself, particularly when you need SMD tolerances. also, soldering smd by hand really is not difficult, the only bits i avoid are 0201s, packages without leads (eg QFN), and physically inaccessible packages (eg BGA). pretty much everything else is really not particularly difficult even with lovely equipment. surface tension is kinda magical.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh cool we're onto electronics projects

i had an idea for a big ol' button i could whack to make a noise. searched the internet and all i got was a bunch of idiot makers "hacking" a radio shack voice recorder into a staples easy button. what's the easiest/smallest/cheapest way to make a small circuit that just plays back a sound file

Dec 26, 2012

WorkingPeer posted:

i had the idea of adding an rfid reader and labelling my sealed food with rfid stickers so you could just tap the sticker on the machine and it would set itself to the right temperature.

one can dream... :allears:

pcb etching is super easy and p cool if you wanna do that. you can get everything you need from as common a place as radio shack

but yeah like bloody said its a bit unnecessary and you can get everything elsewhere easily

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh and i also found this which actually looks like it fits the bill but who uses a PIC in the year 2013

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
more python graphics stuff:

i modified the langton's ant algorithm so that the trail would fade slowly, which was interesting but it always still ended up in the same pattern

so then i added random cell activations to disrupt that

i call it "ant in a rainstorm"

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bloody posted:

don't bother etching your own because getting good-looking pcbs done elsewhere is insanely cheap and the results are way better than you can do yourself, particularly when you need SMD tolerances. also, soldering smd by hand really is not difficult, the only bits i avoid are 0201s, packages without leads (eg QFN), and physically inaccessible packages (eg BGA). pretty much everything else is really not particularly difficult even with lovely equipment. surface tension is kinda magical.

yeah, i guess i'll stop short of etching it myself. although the hackspace does have a proper etching tank i wouldn't trust myself to be able to produce anything to smd tolerances.

we have a real reflow oven though, so that's good. none of this pid-controlled toaster oven bs.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i modified the langton's ant algorithm so that the trail would fade slowly, which was interesting but it always still ended up in the same pattern

can u make it draw goatse?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my dirt cheap board shop of choice is http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order because you get excellent quality boards for dirt cheap if you can sometimes wait a week or two

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bloody posted:

my dirt cheap board shop of choice is http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order because you get excellent quality boards for dirt cheap if you can sometimes wait a week or two

i'm onto you shill!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

this owns

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bloody posted:

dorkbodPDX? im in portland maybe ill just pop in :c00l:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mido posted:

dorkbodPDX? im in portland maybe ill just pop in :c00l:

no don't it's a hackerspace

u've been warned

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao it's literally an arduino and some rgb leds

Editor's Choice

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

hm okay clearly my ball collision algorithm needs work

i hate vector math

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

hm okay clearly my ball collision algorithm needs work

i hate vector math

i like your version of physics. it's more fun.

(by any chance did you design it so collision boundaries strongly repel eachother? because then if two boundaries are found to be intersecting at the end of a time step, the repulsion would force one ball into the other)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

i hate vector math

loving same

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

coffeetable posted:

i like your version of physics. it's more fun.

(by any chance did you design it so collision boundaries strongly repel eachother? because then if two boundaries are found to be intersecting at the end of a time step, the repulsion would force one ball into the other)

it's supposed to detect when the distance is less than (r1+r2) and then apply a force to each based on their velocities and masses

but i'm getting some weird negative numbers in a place that should only have positive numbers (i.e. under a square root) and i don't know if it's because i hosed up somewhere or because floating point handling in python is apparently lovely

this would be a lot easier if i just said that both balls have the same mass and made the system symmetrical but that's kind of boring

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

dur posted:

how much does it cost to go there and use their stuff?

$125 a month, classes are open to anyone tho, so i am taking all the safety cert classes before i join and sperg out on nerd projects

it's 175 month to month but 125 if you auto-renew

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 21, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

it's supposed to detect when the distance is less than (r1+r2) and then apply a force to each based on their velocities and masses

but i'm getting some weird negative numbers in a place that should only have positive numbers (i.e. under a square root) and i don't know if it's because i hosed up somewhere or because floating point handling in python is apparently lovely

this would be a lot easier if i just said that both balls have the same mass and made the system symmetrical but that's kind of boring

post yr code

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

hah it totally was just a sign that i had flipped, and also i'd forgotten to divide by 2 when figuring out the kinetic energy so it was doubling in energy upon every collision

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

yessssssss

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

nice balls

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

very well done

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NICE!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

looks cool if you add gravitational attraction between the two balls and then plot the paths too

awww yeahh sexy patterns

e:

ol qwerty bastard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 21, 2013

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

add gravitational attraction between the two balls

kerbal space balls program

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

kerbal space balls program

i knew it! im surrounded by kermans!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rip jebediah kerman 2013

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mido posted:

i knew it! im surrounded by kermans!

something something Kerbal Spaceballs Program DLC: The Search for More Money

eh

Dec 26, 2012

nice balls

nice balls

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i figured out that KSP only has such bad lag with big structures because the physics calculations on the unity engine only happen on one core. wish i was a big enough badass to come up with a workaround

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the workaround is to wait for them to port it to the newer version of unity (they are planning this for the next major update)