Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I read a couple strips from the link posted above, and Malacks dialog is really awesome in hindsight. Here, the second panel is amazing knowing what Malack is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!

Brannock posted:

Hmm... any chance that Tsukiko will get Miko "raised" as some kind of blackguard?

Slightly different circumstances.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You guys are forgetting that this story isn't about Tarquin. It's about Xykon, the gates, and the end of the world. Which means that he and the Empire of Blood are going to get left behind, just as the Azure City survivors and the Thieves guild were.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

MikeJF posted:

It would have had no narrative purpose to have existed at all if it wasn't going to come back into play.
Eventually yes but I'm not sure about right now.

Although I've forgotten what and when this comment was - does anyone have a link to the strip? I thought it was more along with "dealing" with Tarquin, which could be interpreted in a number of different ways.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Glory of Arioch posted:

This is something I've noticed about Tarquin -- when he's getting his way or things are under his control, he folds his arms behind his back. It's his tell.
He also takes that "eyes closed, head hung, *sigh*" pose out for a spin when he's made some important decision.

We never did get much of an idea why Nale hated Malack so much, did we? I always assumed it was because Dad left Nale early to go adventuring/empire-building with Malack - essentially choosing Malack over Nale - and that really stuck in Nale's craw, but that's still just supposition.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So the Linear Guild all just basically died... except for the Kobold. Wonder if that bureaucrat will somehow kill Belkar.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

J Detan posted:

New Comic!

Tarquin's a cold blooded son of a bitch, but he's nothing if not pragmatic.
Well! That escalated quickly.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ASMR Yodeling posted:

Slightly different circumstances.

Same bad idea. When Miko died, her story was over, showing us that there can be strife between the good guys, even if they are nominally on the same side. Bringing her back as a blackguard would not have been that interesting, because it would remove that conflict from her character.

It's the same with Nale. He had been played out after Elan beat him back in Azure City, the reason he worked in this arc is because Tarquin was thrown into the mix, giving the whole thing a very different dynamic. Sure, Nale would keep his own motivations, but it wouldn't really bring anything new to the story, because we already saw how it turns out. His story is over.

What could have been interesting was confrontation with his mother, but he'd have to be alive for that.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's kind of clear by Nale's final words that what he wanted all along was to be free, but that's kind of difficult to do when your dad's a lawful evil control freak.

Pretty much. Just a cog in one of Tarquin's schemes indeed.

I find it interesting that people still consider Tarquin a "goood" father or a "loving" father.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FMguru posted:

We never did get much of an idea why Nale hated Malack so much, did we? I always assumed it was because Dad left Nale early to go adventuring/empire-building with Malack - essentially choosing Malack over Nale - and that really stuck in Nale's craw, but that's still just supposition.

Nale grew up with Tarquin and his gang as surrogate parents. Malack was also implied to be his tutor. I'm pretty sure he had a pretty lovely childhood and Malack was likely the worst element.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hypocrisy posted:

Pretty much. Just a cog in one of Tarquin's schemes indeed.

I find it interesting that people still consider Tarquin a "goood" father or a "loving" father.

Lucius Junius Brutus, who executed both of his own sons for treason, has been a role model for millennia. Funny coincidence that Tarquin is named after his enemy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarquinian_conspiracy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

e X posted:

Same bad idea. When Miko died, her story was over, showing us that there can be strife between the good guys, even if they are nominally on the same side. Bringing her back as a blackguard would not have been that interesting, because it would remove that conflict from her character.

It's the same with Nale. He had been played out after Elan beat him back in Azure City, the reason he worked in this arc is because Tarquin was thrown into the mix, giving the whole thing a very different dynamic. Sure, Nale would keep his own motivations, but it wouldn't really bring anything new to the story, because we already saw how it turns out. His story is over.

What could have been interesting was confrontation with his mother, but he'd have to be alive for that.

Maybe, but Sabine's story is still going, and Sabine and Nale are inexorably linked. She must react.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just realized. Thog will replace belkar when he dies. Maybe. They fill the same party role precisely. Immature, melee oriented, comic relief evil characters. Thog even has a history of working with the order. Tarquin can't use a defeated arena champion. Thog lost his friends. The strip alluded to the fact that Belkar can't be replaced with just another halfling ranger.

It makes too much sense. The only reason it might not happen is that 5 protagonists is plenty.

ikanreed fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 21, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ikanreed posted:

I just realized. Thog will replace belkar when he dies.

No. Thog murdered several friends of Roy's girlfriend. Roy would kill him before he'd ever get a chance to speak.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

my dad posted:

No. Thog murdered several friends of Roy's girlfriend. Roy would kill him before he'd ever get a chance to speak.

Not if they're a man down and Thog's the only one who will/can help.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

MikeJF posted:

Maybe, but Sabine's story is still going, and Sabine and Nale are inexorably linked. She must react.

I'm feeling a cut to the fiends/V in a strip or two tops.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

my dad posted:

I think the whole "let's recruit vampire Durkon" thing effectively put the question to rest. Roy will recruit just about anyone as long as he thinks he can keep them in line or at least out of trouble. Hell it's basically the only reason he's kept Belkar around for so long. Thog isn't known for his smarts and Roy's already manipulated that trait to his advantage once before, who's to say he can't do it again.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ikanreed posted:

It makes too much sense. The only reason it might not happen is that 5 protagonists is plenty.
That and given the high body count of this particular arc that it isn't unreasonable to think Thog is dead under the rubble.

And the whole Roy hating him thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MikeJF posted:

Yeah this is why I'm 50/50 on if Nale will actually stay dead.

Sabine's central character arc right now is her obvious conflicting loyalty between her bosses and Nale. Nale just dying ends it... really anti-climatically.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not if they're a man down and Thog's the only one who will/can help.

thog hate talky man. thog not help talky man or not-nale.

EDIT:

Penis Ouija posted:

As much as I think OotS as a whole wouldn't suit the medium, I really want to hear "If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, I get to be a legend." voiced, because goddamn it's good. I'm just not sure whose voice would do it justice.

Christopher Lee, Alan Rickman, Samuel L "Mothafuckin'" Jackson...

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

Alan Rickman

What? No. "Legend" needs to be emphasised, not monotone.

Raúl Juliá would have been the best. :(

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah this is why I'm 50/50 on if Nale will actually stay dead.

Sabine's central character arc right now is her obvious conflicting loyalty between her bosses and Nale. Nale just dying ends it... really anti-climatically.

Having Nale under her control would solve that dilemma while allowing her to continue loving him. It suits the characters perfectly well and is interesting enough, I would say. Though I don't think they'd have a whole guild to go along with it. Probably just showing up when the fiends make their move. Her, Nale, V's body and the imp does not a Linear Guild make.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

terminal mehmet posted:

Raúl Juliá would have been the best. :(

Yes, that's the voice I've been hearing whenever I read Tarquin's lines. It fits soooo well.

:smith:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Having Nale under her control would solve that dilemma while allowing her to continue loving him. It suits the characters perfectly well and is interesting enough, I would say. Though I don't think they'd have a whole guild to go along with it. Probably just showing up when the fiends make their move. Her, Nale, V's body and the imp does not a Linear Guild make.

Well if she was in charge it would make sense the Linear guild would direcetly be working for the 3 fiends, whom seem to have some pretty good pull in hell. Their plan is so important that even gods are willing to allow massive duck ups (like killing a third of the black dragon). I'm sure they could get a spellcaster.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Well that happened. :suspense:

So what exactly happens to neutral evil souls when they die, anyway? If I remember right, lawful evil, you get turned into a lemure and have options for advancement, potentially even before getting turned into a lemure depending on how you play your cards. Chaotic evil, you get turned into a dretch and can advance if you're strong and cunning enough. But I don't remember WotC ever printing any material on what happens with neutral evil souls.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Well that happened. :suspense:

So what exactly happens to neutral evil souls when they die, anyway? If I remember right, lawful evil, you get turned into a lemure and have options for advancement, potentially even before getting turned into a lemure depending on how you play your cards. Chaotic evil, you get turned into a dretch and can advance if you're strong and cunning enough. But I don't remember WotC ever printing any material on what happens with neutral evil souls.

If you were particularly evil, you get sent to Carceri to be imprisoned and tortured. If you're clever enough to escape, you can potentially advance into a fiend. If you are only incidentally evil, you get sent to Hades, where you are stuck as a depressed shade until you collapse into plane-stuff.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Alchenar posted:

You guys are forgetting that this story isn't about Tarquin. It's about Xykon, the gates, and the end of the world. Which means that he and the Empire of Blood are going to get left behind, just as the Azure City survivors and the Thieves guild were.

But Tarquin doesn't realize that! That's his fatal flaw. He thinks, and therefore acts, as if he's the main villain in Elan's story. But we're really in Roy's story, and therefore Tarquin is just a secondary villain, and may get swept off screen at any moment.

Just as Nale's arrogance took him down here, I'm eagerly awaiting the same thing happening to Tarquin.

That said, Raise Dead is a thing. Sabine has less than 24 hours on her banishment, then can head back in and get to work on stealing Nale's body for that very purpose. Hell, Tarquin may be counting on that, knowing he has to kill Nale publicly in front of his army and Laurin to maintain his authority but willing to let Nale sneak out the back on the corpse cart to call it quits between them.

Or the next strip may see Tarquin applying his genre awareness and doing something to gently caress up Nale's chances at coming back from the dead to thwart that very thing.

On the other other hand, it occurs to me that Tarquin is the kind of father who thinks getting murdered and spending a few days in hell is the equivalent of being sent to your room...

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
he just said last strip that villain vs villain was too much of a tossup, he is plot aware enough to know that him going after Xykon wouldn't be a good idea.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

jng2058 posted:

That said, Raise Dead is a thing. Sabine has less than 24 hours on her banishment, then can head back in and get to work on stealing Nale's body for that very purpose. Hell, Tarquin may be counting on that, knowing he has to kill Nale publicly in front of his army and Laurin to maintain his authority but willing to let Nale sneak out the back on the corpse cart to call it quits between them.

You know before this post I was 100% in the "Nale isn't coming back to the land of the living" wagon, but this theory sounds about the way Tarquin would handle a situation.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

reignofevil posted:

You know before this post I was 100% in the "Nale isn't coming back to the land of the living" wagon, but this theory sounds about the way Tarquin would handle a situation.

Except Nale isn't in on it and would likely be pretty pissed at Tarquin after coming back. Tarquin isn't in the business of letting enemies that he doesn't have control over run free if he can help it. He is Evil after all.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

But he does have a soft spot for his children... and doesn't feel threatened by Nale anyway.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I see this as the final give up. Think of the situation where a family tries to help a drug addicted son or somesuch. They provide opportunities, look the other way, eventually the betrayal is too much and they need to wash their hands.

Tarquin reached that point with Nale, he didnt deal with Nale as a son, but man to man which is what Nale wished. Nale just didnt pay attention to his current situation. Plus he removed an obstacle from Elan's path which is still helping.

Narratively Tarquin killed Nale so Elan wouldn't be faced with that down the line; pragmatism again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

That and given the high body count of this particular arc that it isn't unreasonable to think Thog is dead under the rubble.

And the whole Roy hating him thing.

Thog is alive. They mention him here. Nale requests him to be returned but Dad said nope. Or at least my reading.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Thog is alive. They mention him here. Nale requests him to be returned but Dad said nope. Or at least my reading.

That strip always bothered me slightly due to Sabine's suddenly getting pushy about Nale being leader. It's like, they're completely at Tarquin's mercy (as that very strip shows with him talking down Malack), and she thinks it's a good idea to start giving orders? That's... Well, I guess it's Nale-level obliviousness, so, hm.

Also, you can read that that way re: Thog, but I see it more as Nale having hope that Thog's still alive and asking; Tarquin could be refusing to raise him as much as he's saying "sorry, no". Or just not telling Nale that Thog's dead; I don't remember if Nale ever actually saw that happen or not, so Tarquin could just be skirting the issue.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

That strip always bothered me slightly due to Sabine's suddenly getting pushy about Nale being leader. It's like, they're completely at Tarquin's mercy (as that very strip shows with him talking down Malack), and she thinks it's a good idea to start giving orders? That's... Well, I guess it's Nale-level obliviousness, so, hm.

To be fair they spent a month or two in hiding trying to make sure dear old dad doesn't find them and given how close they are I'm sure Sabine's heard how Nale feels about his Dad and vise-verse. Sabine's always been super protective of Nale, and it makes sense for her to instantly lash out against Tarquin if she thinks he's trying to do the poo poo Nale still hates him for. It's not obliviousness as much as it is passion.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just had a thought...

Could Sabine, say, strike up a soul splice deal with the Fiends to get unbanished right now and reave one hell of a bloody vengeance on Tarquin and his men? Or would she be incapable of that due to her physiology or whatever else might prevent it?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

greatn posted:

But Elan has a secret plan to win Vietnam defeat Tarquin.

It's only a plan to "yes, no, sort of" defeat Tarquin. Because the thing that inspired him was Roy saying "find a sense of family among your people who are good", I think that means he's going to ask Haley to marry him, and get Durkon to perform the ceremony.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Regalingualius posted:

I just had a thought...

Could Sabine, say, strike up a soul splice deal with the Fiends to get unbanished right now and reave one hell of a bloody vengeance on Tarquin and his men? Or would she be incapable of that due to her physiology or whatever else might prevent it?

She's only a succubus and I doubt the fiends would go for a soul splice unless it directly benefited them. And her throwing down on Tarquin is probably pretty irreverent to their plans.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Naramyth posted:

She's only a succubus and I doubt the fiends would go for a soul splice unless it directly benefited them. And her throwing down on Tarquin is probably pretty irreverent to their plans.

Of course there's that. I was more wondering if it's even possible for it to happen. Though I kind of wonder what Sabine could offer up as payment, considering she's already working under them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Of course there's that. I was more wondering if it's even possible for it to happen. Though I kind of wonder what Sabine could offer up as payment, considering she's already working under them.

No. She's hardlocked to her plane of origin till the Holy Ward wears off. Straight up Banished.