Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Now that SSD's are around, someone needs to make a black box for laptops. Something that constantly records the last 2 minutes of audio before loss of battery power combined with accelerometer data.

"What do you mean it's impossible? I totally can! --Oh poo poo *smash*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
The accounting department here uses Yahoo! Messenger.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

My previous company used AIM... in 2012...

We used SKYPE until 2010.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

nitrogen posted:

Still using Skype. The more tech-savvy use IRC for text chat, but everyone uses it for voice meetings.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

nitrogen posted:

We used Skype at my last job, though everyone worked remotely. If you're irresponsible enough to accept that a 3rd party you have no visibility into has access to your confidential business communications, it's really not a bad platform, and it makes it really easy to call/video chat with somebody if need be. It also (theoretically) uses end-to-end encryption.

E: Speaking of IRC, is there an SH/SC IRC chat?

E2: got it.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 21, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Google Chat or just walk across the office floor and go to the guy's office / cube, for us :shrug:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I had a great ticket today (not sarcastic)

"Hi Lum, we were trying to figure out how to do X and in the process broke Y on SERVER. Here is a list of everything we did to break it, here is what we've tried to fix it so far"

This guy is my new favourite customer. Took me 5 minutes to sort it out.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Dick Trauma posted:

Dropping your iPhone from a third floor balcony is a good way to make sure I don't approve replacement.

This was a few pages back but id add to this. I once witnessed when a friend did this by accident. We were sitting down on her balcony and she fumbled her phone out of her hand and it hit the floor, bounced and slid through the crack between floor/side of the balcony and fell 3 floors into asphalt. It didn't make it :(

No idea why the hell its standard to have those silly holes, almost all balconys have them here, potential draining from water or something?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lum posted:

I had a great ticket today (not sarcastic)

"Hi Lum, we were trying to figure out how to do X and in the process broke Y on SERVER. Here is a list of everything we did to break it, here is what we've tried to fix it so far"

This guy is my new favourite customer. Took me 5 minutes to sort it out.

I just got something like that the other day, very clear, concise explanation of the bug and what he was doing, provided useful screenshots. I want to PayPal him $3 for a beer just for not being an idiot :unsmith:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Perhaps some of you will recall from the previous thread my discussion about a new work machine that the company approved for me.

Asus has lagged such major rear end shipping it... We've had four HP Haswell-equipped desktops arrive since I ordered it. It has been almost five weeks since the order date and now they've pushed back the ship date to the second or third of next month!!! Week before last it was "It'll arrive around the end of august" now they've pushed that back.

Unbelievable. To top it off, I've had horrendous experiences hassling with their warranty support department trying to get an Ultrabook fixed. Two motherboard swaps, two display swaps. Delays and hassle and pigeon english out the wazoo.

I'd love to sever all ties with their organization but they do make a badass monitor that is gaining popularity amongst the workers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I just set up synergy to work across 3 computers using SSH tunneling. Not a huge accomplishment but still :feelsgood:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Sab669 posted:

I just got something like that the other day, very clear, concise explanation of the bug and what he was doing, provided useful screenshots. I want to PayPal him $3 for a beer just for not being an idiot :unsmith:

I wish I could get a beer for $3 around here... stupid country.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Where the hell do you pay more than $3 for a beer :stonk:
Most bars I know sell crappy stuff for $2 per glass or so. Can give a six pack for less than that per bottle/can.

My bottled drink of choice is $10 for 6, but eh.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sab669 posted:

Most bars I know sell crappy stuff for $2 per glass or so. Can give a six pack for less than that per bottle/can.

Your store prices aren't off, but bars and restaurants in cities only do $2 for BMC beers on special.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Sab669 posted:

Canada. S. Ontario specifically.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

drukqs posted:

Unbelievable. To top it off, I've had horrendous experiences hassling with their warranty support department trying to get an Ultrabook fixed. Two motherboard swaps, two display swaps. Delays and hassle and pigeon english out the wazoo.

Pray you never have to try and RMA something to them. Several of our Asus laptops broke while under warranty and it's been an absolute nightmare trying to get them RMA'ed. Asus seems to go out of their way to prevent you from doing so. We gave up and I'm currently using one as a Windows 8 client and trying to get it to play nice with our group policy settings.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
But then you're probably drinking really lovely beer.

Montreal's prices for beer is generally about $5-8 per pint for most microbrews. Well worth the expenditure.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Sab669 posted:

Here a bottle will normally run you $5-$7 a pint $7-$9 at a bar/restaurant

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

tehloki posted:

Canada. S. Ontario specifically.

To clarify, a 24 pack of decent beer here is almost 50 dollars.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Draft craft beer in DC is usually $6-8 for a pint. Domestic draft is $4-5. Happy hour may bring the prices down a bit.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

nitrogen posted:

The development team here uses Skype for interviews with remote clients which isn't a problem.

The company that bought us is obsessed with using Skype for weekly meetings (they're in another state). They have a protocol in place that says we have to send them a Speed Test result every time there's a call and confirmation that we're using the latest version.

:jerkbag:

Needless to say our VP of Ops told them to cram it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I can buy a six pack of long necks for 5-8$ depending on the brand.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Helushune posted:

Pray you never have to try and RMA something to them. Several of our Asus laptops broke while under warranty and it's been an absolute nightmare trying to get them RMA'ed. Asus seems to go out of their way to prevent you from doing so. We gave up and I'm currently using one as a Windows 8 client and trying to get it to play nice with our group policy settings.

Why are you guys using consumer grade stuff for work? Business class laptops from one of the big 3 (HP, Dell, Lenovo) is the only way to go. If your on a budget, the Vostro stuff from Dell is serviceable.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
When you combine Ontario's ridiculous liquor prices with the fact that I'm working for a CFL team and making about $20k less than my title is supposedly worth, I had to switch to mid-shelf whiskey (because everything but the expensive stuff is basically regulated to the point where it costs the same). Also I have to fall back on my Inborn Canadian Patience more often than into the warm soothing arms of mother ethanol.

skipdogg posted:

Why are you guys using consumer grade stuff for work? Business class laptops from one of the big 3 (HP, Dell, Lenovo) is the only way to go. If your on a budget, the Vostro stuff from Dell is serviceable.

I can't endorse this enough. I made the mistake in my first week at this job of letting somebody pick their own model of laptop, and they chose one of HP's $1500+ rounded-corners consumer grade "Envy" laptops. It's been punted around his department as a spare laptop forever because it's got the performance of a $200 refurbished 5-year-old laptop and the aesthetics/ergonomics of a smashed boulder.

user on probation fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 21, 2013

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

tehloki posted:

When you combine Ontario's ridiculous liquor prices with the fact that I'm working for a CFL team and making about $20k less than my title is supposedly worth, I had to switch to mid-shelf whiskey (because everything but the expensive stuff is basically regulated to the point where it costs the same). Also I have to fall back on my Inborn Canadian Patience more often than into the warm soothing arms of mother ethanol.
Have you tried Collingwood whisky? It's a blend aged in maplewood barrels, and it's great for the price they charge (~$30). Sold in a neat "oversized hip flask" style bottle, too.

tehloki posted:

I can't endorse this enough. I made the mistake in my first week at this job of letting somebody pick their own model of laptop, and they chose one of HP's $1500+ rounded-corners consumer grade "Envy" laptops. It's been punted around his department as a spare laptop forever because it's got the performance of a $200 refurbished 5-year-old laptop and the aesthetics/ergonomics of a smashed boulder.
My VP loves loves loves Eurocom, and got all of our consulting team 17-inch monsters when our old Dell Latitude D820s stopped being able to keep up with our horsepower requirements. The (then) new Eurocoms were powerful, but had a few driver issues - and a 17-inch laptop is a huge pain to travel with. We really find that we miss Dell's incredible same-day service, too...

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 21, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A remote session came in.

Customer's web application has "Best viewed in 1024x768" on it.

Hadn't seen that in a while.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Because I work for a small-ish non-profit. I've tried to push enterprise and business level hardware multiple times but constantly get shut down with "Well, I saw this at Best Buy that does the same thing and is several hundred dollars less so let's use that instead". We only recently switched over to Aruba access points and that was pretty hard. They wanted to spend less money on consumer grade d-link hardware with the "it's all the same" reasoning.

We do have a lot of Dell business grade hardware but our most recent purchase was a bunch of Asus laptops because they were $250/ea. Sadly, my hands are tied when it comes to making purchasing decisions, I can only suggest.

It's also great when other departments just buy tech stuff because they have cash burning a hole in their pocket. "We need someone to set up all these HP PhotoSmart printers we just bought!"

Helushune fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 21, 2013

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
I hate updating Server 2003. I have to do the whole voodoo dance to get that stupid shield to appear in the taskbar to let me install the updates that I know it's downloaded but gently caress you no you can't manually kick off the installation. I spent around an hour on one of our servers loving around with stopping/starting services and wuauclt. Finally I noticed a 'session 0' in the logs and discovered that a local user had logged in and stayed logged in, so it was displaying the Approve Install screen in their (locked) session rather than my remote one. At least I know for next time, but goddamn.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

In MA you can get beer pretty reasonable at the store, less then $1 if you want to drink bud, if you want ACTUAL beer like Stone or Dogfish head you'll pay $12-16 for a 4-6 pack. I can get dogfish head for $5 for a 22oz at my favorite bar, it's pretty cheap when a 22oz of bud will run you $3 there.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tehloki posted:

Echoing this.

For work, everyone gets Dell/IBM(Lenovo)/HP. Buy your own DIY whitebox special snowflake on your own time, not mine.

I've been burned so often by C-level types bringing in "I went out and bought this on my own to save you time" laptops it isn't even funny. My favorite was when the CEO brought in some bullshit tablet with Windows Vista Home Basic installed on it and told me to "get it on the network" and install office on it. And by the way, it runs slow so can you speed it up?

Yeah no.

I had to diplomatically tell him that Atom processors are for browsing the internet, not launching Visio and I would never, ever be able to get it to join our domain. He then asked me to install Windows 7 on it, but it didn't have driver support so that idea barfed. After spending three days on this turd I gave it back to him with a half-working Windows 7 install on it and told him to return it.

I then gave him one of our stock laptops with the corporate image and he was happy as a clam.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Fenrisulfr posted:

I hate updating Server 2003. I have to do the whole voodoo dance to get that stupid shield to appear in the taskbar to let me install the updates that I know it's downloaded but gently caress you no you can't manually kick off the installation. I spent around an hour on one of our servers loving around with stopping/starting services and wuauclt. Finally I noticed a 'session 0' in the logs and discovered that a local user had logged in and stayed logged in, so it was displaying the Approve Install screen in their (locked) session rather than my remote one. At least I know for next time, but goddamn.

FYI the microsoft update website still works for forcing updates in situations like this, cause it runs in an internet explorer window.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so one of my parts guys uses a volvo partner network page (vppn.com) to order parts for some of the stuff we buy. Turns out that the page uses embedded SVG that looks for adobe SVG support...that ended in 2009.

He has a brand new windows 8 computer and it isn't showing him the graphics. I cannot imagine a more rear end backwards catalog of parts. Anyone have any ideas in how I could fix that?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

pixaal posted:

In MA you can get beer pretty reasonable at the store, less then $1 if you want to drink bud, if you want ACTUAL beer like Stone or Dogfish head you'll pay $12-16 for a 4-6 pack. I can get dogfish head for $5 for a 22oz at my favorite bar, it's pretty cheap when a 22oz of bud will run you $3 there.

:( Ontario

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tehloki posted:

FYI the microsoft update website still works for forcing updates in situations like this, cause it runs in an internet explorer window.

All of my 2003 servers had a shortcut on my desktop to that link, because gently caress using that shield-thing.

And gently caress WUS on 2003 too, while we are at it.

And gently caress having to have a patch party once a month to update 400+ 2003 servers manually.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
So there has been a large DSL outage here since last Friday. All I can get out of the ISP is the following email updates every few hours:

quote:

21:00 Carrier update is the same. The carrier is moving customers to new equipment one circuit at a time. They don't have an estimated time they will complete these moves.
18:00 Carrier update is the same. The carrier is moving customers to new equipment one circuit at a time. They don't have an estimated time they will complete these moves.
etc...
All while clients keep calling and hassling me to fix it or ask when it will be working again. American ISPs truly are the greatest. :rolleyes:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tjl posted:

All while clients keep calling and hassling me to fix it or ask when it will be working again. American ISPs truly are the greatest. :rolleyes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57599488-93/cable-providers-isps-rank-dead-last-for-customer-service/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Surprise!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

so one of my parts guys uses a volvo partner network page (vppn.com) to order parts for some of the stuff we buy. Turns out that the page uses embedded SVG that looks for adobe SVG support...that ended in 2009.

He has a brand new windows 8 computer and it isn't showing him the graphics. I cannot imagine a more rear end backwards catalog of parts. Anyone have any ideas in how I could fix that?

Auto/bike shop software is the most retrograde, fly-by-night bullshit I ever dealt with at my old job, even if it comes from established manufacturers like Yamaha. Every single piece of it required some kind of combination of incredibly specific hardware configuration and installation order for the various unconnected modules on the CDs.

And forget ever getting support for them.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Agrikk posted:

All of my 2003 servers had a shortcut on my desktop to that link, because gently caress using that shield-thing.

And gently caress WUS on 2003 too, while we are at it.

And gently caress having to have a patch party once a month to update 400+ 2003 servers manually.
It's been a long while since I had to manage Windows servers but doesn't wuauclt /detectnow fire up the shield thingy after a minute?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

fivre posted:

A remote session came in.

Customer's web application has "Best viewed in 1024x768" on it.

Hadn't seen that in a while.

Heh, bonus points if it had an "Upgrade to Netscape Now" button on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

bort posted:

It's been a long while since I had to manage Windows servers but doesn't wuauclt /detectnow fire up the shield thingy after a minute?

It's supposed to. The fun is when it doesn't and trying to figure out why! When I first updated our WSUS to 2008 R2 I had 4 or 5 servers and 30-40 computers fail to get updates or even connect for a half dozen different reasons. The best one was probably where ~20 computers had the Automatic Updates service disabled. Still haven't figured out who did that or why. Good times.

I didn't know that the Windows Update website worked like that. I haven't used it since P2 was new, though, so that's not overly surprising. The next time I have an issue I'll have to try it out.

• Locked thread