Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Any Austin goons know of a good place to watch UFC fights south of the river? If not, I was thinking maybe Mr. Tramp's up north?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Warehouse Saloon and Draft Pick.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Halloween Jack posted:

Bob Sapp's in there too?!

Actually he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Fo3OsyF-I&t=59s

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Boregasm posted:

Warehouse Saloon and Draft Pick.

Sweet, thanks! I'll check them both out over the course of the next few events. :)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
The best video game representation of Bob Sapp is actually his Fire Pro Wrestling Returns doppelganger, "Sam Pop"; since FPR is from 2005 and made by Japanese people, he's one of the best MMA guys in the game.

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 23, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Just got around to the UFC 160 preview. Junior Dos Santos says his creatinine levels were elevated from the normal range of 250-300 to 1000-1400, evidence of overtraining and potential cause of decreased performance levels. Is that a generally known problem in sports? What about combat sports?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Rhabdo

Not very common in most sports. It's a thing in Crossfit though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Just got around to the UFC 160 preview. Junior Dos Santos says his creatinine levels were elevated from the normal range of 250-300 to 1000-1400, evidence of overtraining and potential cause of decreased performance levels. Is that a generally known problem in sports? What about combat sports?

Creatinine is a by-product of muscle fatigue.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Creatinine is a by-product of muscle fatigue.

But are metrics for its level a common part of modern sports training?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

But are metrics for its level a common part of modern sports training?

I don't know that all athletes have their levels checked unless they've had issues with it. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the bigger names like GSP had it checked often, or if it was part of a standard "athlete" blood panel, but I know some pro-wrestlers and endurance athletes have had dramas with it in the past. Some soldiers going for real hard special forces selection get it too.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Is there anywhere to look up who was judging a particular fight? The closest I found was mmadecisions.com but it only list the judges for fights that went to a decision.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Is there anywhere to look up who was judging a particular fight? The closest I found was mmadecisions.com but it only list the judges for fights that went to a decision.

If the fight you're interested in is on the same card as one that went to a decision on that site, it's the same judges.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

BlindSite posted:

If the fight you're interested in is on the same card as one that went to a decision on that site, it's the same judges.

For some reason I thought that judges changed from fight to fight much like the refs. There are usually only so many in attendance on a given night but I didn't think it was the same three people all night long. Seems like it would lead to worse judging later on in an event if that were the case.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xyretire posted:

For some reason I thought that judges changed from fight to fight much like the refs. There are usually only so many in attendance on a given night but I didn't think it was the same three people all night long. Seems like it would lead to worse judging later on in an event if that were the case.

Judges, like refs, change from fight to fight.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

BlindSite posted:

This doesn't help me at all, not to mention that it's incorrect. I'm was wondering if there is a list/database somewhere of fights and the judges who scored each each one and how they scored it, including those that didn't go to decision.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I'm was wondering if there is a list/database somewhere of fights and the judges who scored each each one and how they scored it, including those that didn't go to decision.

Not that I know about.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Belle Isle Tech posted:

This doesn't help me at all, not to mention that it's incorrect. I'm was wondering if there is a list/database somewhere of fights and the judges who scored each each one and how they scored it, including those that didn't go to decision.

Your best bet is to try googling around for a news articles that mentions the judges, although articles reporting who is going to be judging is not exactly a common thing, especially with undercard fights.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Has there ever been an instance of a fighter cornering someone and later fighting on the same card?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

-Atom- posted:

Has there ever been an instance of a fighter cornering someone and later fighting on the same card?

The closest thing to that I'm aware of was Mark Schultz at UFC 9.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

-Atom- posted:

There was some bullshit promotion out here a year or two ago where Karo parisyan cornered Carlos Newton and was fighting later on the card. Other than that I can't recall.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

BlindSite posted:

There was some bullshit promotion out here a year or two ago where Karo parisyan cornered Carlos Newton and was fighting later on the card. Other than that I can't recall.

I've seen this happen at local fights several times

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I've seen this happen at local fights several times

Yeah I cornered and fought on the same amateur card a million years ago, it's common on the local level but also dumb as hell

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

-Atom- posted:

I can't cite anything, but I swear this must have happened in the UFC. I'm thinking something like TAM (you always see Faber, Benavidez and Mendes) or the Gracie camp cornering one of their up and comers in the prelims and then fighting later on the main card.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

-Atom- posted:

I'm pretty sure Randleman cornered Mark Coleman at Pride 32.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Has PP ever had a Hulk Hogan or general "behind the scenes dirt" thread? There's an amazing amount of lying and manipulation brought up in the WCW Death thread based on Hogan's wacky autobio that I'd love to hear more about Hogan or that part of the industry.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

timeandtide posted:

Has PP ever had a Hulk Hogan or general "behind the scenes dirt" thread? There's an amazing amount of lying and manipulation brought up in the WCW Death thread based on Hogan's wacky autobio that I'd love to hear more about Hogan or that part of the industry.

The carnies thread is pretty close to that, yeah. The thread that this thread is modeled on is the wrestling questions thread which is also largely about that sort of thing. I don't recall a Hogan thread off the top of my head, but his bullshit is prominent in both of those.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Moderator Gendo was kind enough to make a Hogan thread for all your Hulk-aroo needs. But this article is, I believe, the definitive article about Hulk's hilarious lies.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
This has to do more with PSP but what's the story behind the blue-tinted avatars that some people had like the Paulo Fhilo and Ricardo Arona ones? Were they publicity pictures that PRIDE made (other than the Gray Maynard one that Fatherdog used to have)?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
They were all taken from the Pride Shockwave 2006 poster. Pride was cool.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
its funny to see MMA pictures where the dudes are smiling. Looks like a frat composite.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Xguard86 posted:

its funny to see MMA pictures where the dudes are smiling. Looks like a frat composite.

I miss my blue dumpy Fedor av.

That's right, I said it.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Captain Log posted:

I miss my blue dumpy Fedor av.

That's right, I said it.

It always blew my mind that Paul Pot of all people got the blue Coleman av.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Why do the smaller MMA weight classes have 10 pound ranges compared to 15 for most? The talent pool doesn't seem to justify splitting it in three instead of two.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Why do the smaller MMA weight classes have 10 pound ranges compared to 15 for most? The talent pool doesn't seem to justify splitting it in three instead of two.

The lighter the weight the more of an advantage each pound gives you. Guys stuck in the middle of the range would be at a bigger disadvantage.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
cutting is more difficult too since each pound is a greater % of body weight.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
With all of the recent uproar on Duane Ludwig's involvement with Team Alpha Male's string of wins, and nature of said wins. I've heard both Chad Mendes and Joseph Benavidez say in interviews that Duane isn't only a striking coach, but also a game planner who watches tape. The troubling bit about all of this is that both $ and Benavidez said this wasn't really a practice that took place before they hired on Bang, and that they essentially just trained not necessarily in a cavalier way, just not to the extent where they're currently at now. There's actual structure at this point.

I guess my question is, how can an established camp with veteran fighters and former champions operate in such a laissez-faire kind of way?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

With all of the recent uproar on Duane Ludwig's involvement with Team Alpha Male's string of wins, and nature of said wins. I've heard both Chad Mendes and Joseph Benavidez say in interviews that Duane isn't only a striking coach, but also a game planner who watches tape. The troubling bit about all of this is that both $ and Benavidez said this wasn't really a practice that took place before they hired on Bang, and that they essentially just trained not necessarily in a cavalier way, just not to the extent where they're currently at now.

I guess my question is, how can an established camp with veteran fighters and former champions operate in such a laissez-faire kind of way?

Lots of top fighters don't watch tape at all, and many more use it very minimally. It's not something that's universally useful to every fighter; it depends a lot on the way you react to things in the ring and your individual style.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

-Atom- posted:

With all of the recent uproar on Duane Ludwig's involvement with Team Alpha Male's string of wins, and nature of said wins. I've heard both Chad Mendes and Joseph Benavidez say in interviews that Duane isn't only a striking coach, but also a game planner who watches tape. The troubling bit about all of this is that both $ and Benavidez said this wasn't really a practice that took place before they hired on Bang, and that they essentially just trained not necessarily in a cavalier way, just not to the extent where they're currently at now. There's actual structure at this point.

Don't wear shirts, don't watch tape, don't win belts.

Just chill, bro, this is Team Alpha Male.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What a shock, a fight camp run by Uriah Faber, Master Thonglor, and Justin Buchholz might not have the best practices for training MMA fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
What is Master Thonglor's role in the camp now, anyway? Seems like Ludwig has things covered... Relegated to mitt holding only?