Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So at the start of the game are you meant to just dive into taking over the world, or is there meant to be some story event to kick things off? I talked to everyone I can at the start and then there's no mention of what I should be doing, so I start building and invading stuff on the world map, but the AI stomps all over me. It just drops guys off in my base and their units take over my buildings even while my units shoot them. I researched spoils of war, but half the time it doesn't seem to work and my guys just shoot my buildings instead of recapturing them. While this is going on the AI captures basically the whole map and sends a massive swarm to finish me off. I don't see what I am meant to do to stop this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
This being an RTS, you generally want to be building your own mans in sufficient quantities to gently caress up his mans. If you aren't saving up to summon the dragon in or a building you should be pumping out whatever, as long as your pumping out guys.

Also, aggressively claim neutral build spots at the start of any battle. Things might look grim with you facing off against superior numbers at the start, but if you can hold on your increased capacity to recruit and build troops should mean you can just steamroll the other guy in a shortish while.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Troopers are the weakest units in the game, they probably shouldn't be getting near enough that they can capture your buildings.

Do you spawn the dragon as soon and as often as you can? Using your (upgraded) dragon really is the key to winning the RTS maps. Rush to the neutral Construction Sites at the beginning of the game, build Recruitment Citadels as soon as possible, and spawn your dragon to help your units defend them. In the meantime, start pumping out more troops so that you can eventually go on the offensive. Also, don't be afraid to decrease the difficulty, I played the entire main campaign on Easy and I feel no shame.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I have plenty of mans, its just their mans caputure my buildings then I can't make more mans.

E: I literally can't spawn my dragon because they have captured my only recruitment citadel.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Troopers are the weakest units in the game, they probably shouldn't be getting near enough that they can capture your buildings.

Do you spawn the dragon as soon and as often as you can? Using your (upgraded) dragon really is the key to winning the RTS maps. Rush to the neutral Construction Sites at the beginning of the game, build Recruitment Citadels as soon as possible, and spawn your dragon to help your units defend them. In the meantime, start pumping out more troops so that you can eventually go on the offensive. Also, don't be afraid to decrease the difficulty, I played the entire main campaign on Easy and I feel no shame.

Which of the two high-level damage dragon powers (eye of the patriarch and flame pillar) is better? I suppose the answer is "get both" but they're expensive, I'm wondering if there's a clear winner in terms of which you should pick first. It does seem like between the two of them, you can essentially nuke the enemy army right out of the gate, which makes any initial numerical superiority they might have meaningless.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Managed not to get utterly stomped in combat, but now my sound crackles and skips when my generals/advisers etc. talk to me, any way to solve that?

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

I have plenty of mans, its just their mans caputure my buildings then I can't make more mans.

E: I literally can't spawn my dragon because they have captured my only recruitment citadel.

What difficulty are you playing on? I don't understand how you're having trouble with troopers (the only unit that can actually capture player built structures) actually getting close enough and successfully capturing your buildings while you're actively shooting them. Even a large blob of troopers is prone to being demolished by a small force of medium units, or your dragon solo.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Which of the two high-level damage dragon powers (eye of the patriarch and flame pillar) is better? I suppose the answer is "get both" but they're expensive, I'm wondering if there's a clear winner in terms of which you should pick first. It does seem like between the two of them, you can essentially nuke the enemy army right out of the gate, which makes any initial numerical superiority they might have meaningless.

Yeah it's best to have both, but I find eye to be a lot more fun just for the instant gratification of nuking a blob of troops. Pillar is decent for warding enemy advances and giving time for your other CDs assuming you have a good chokepoint.

year199X fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 15, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

Eye of the Patriarch is better.

And the story is explained in the beginnng game cutscene. There's no ingame discussion about what you're doing. poo poo's happened, you're there, you're doing it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's probably one of the biggest negatives for me, that the main campaign's narrative is so bare-bones. Your siblings' personalities and quirks don't get fleshed out at all, and you have no way of communicating with them. There is a ton of interaction with your councilors and generals on your own ship, but the outside world seems shut off from that. That's why I didn't find it very satisfying to reunite the empire, I was never really given the chance to start caring. The story seems to be little more than a convenient backdrop for the (admittedly great) gameplay mechanics.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Phlegmish posted:

That's probably one of the biggest negatives for me, that the main campaign's narrative is so bare-bones. Your siblings' personalities and quirks don't get fleshed out at all, and you have no way of communicating with them. There is a ton of interaction with your councilors and generals on your own ship, but the outside world seems shut off from that. That's why I didn't find it very satisfying to reunite the empire, I was never really given the chance to start caring. The story seems to be little more than a convenient backdrop for the (admittedly great) gameplay mechanics.
I agree with your points overall but I vastly prefer the bare bones story told between chapters verses what Blizzard has been doing lately by rubbing my nose in a lovely story every 30 seconds.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darkhold posted:

I agree with your points overall but I vastly prefer the bare bones story told between chapters verses what Blizzard has been doing lately by rubbing my nose in a lovely story every 30 seconds.

Uhh...it's an rpg. You can tell a story by doing stuff, dude, and people's reactions and feedback to it.
He's not asking for more cutscenes, he's asking for a fleshed out narrative.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I was really disappointed that the Generals [Act 3] have absolutely no reaction at all to you going from "total victory" to "on the brink of defeat". The game had been doing a good job of making them feel fleshed out, but when that act changes, a switch gets flipped, and the illusion is shattered irrevocably.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also, the generals only become mildly more respectful towards you as the game progresses. After I won the final battle, Edmund congratulated me on winning despite my 'mediocre intelligence'. Unfortunately, the game didn't give me the option to burn him to a crisp.

Darkhold posted:

The problem is that they don't give you a reason to care about winning on the strategic map. Your enemies are your half-siblings, you're supposed to be at least somewhat familiar with their personalities and the way they were before they became completely corrupted. 2013 Larian is absolutely capable of writing a good, non-cliché backstory for something like that. Instead, you wipe them out while barely even knowing their names or being able to tell them apart. In fact, I literally cannot remember their names except that Red was Khartam or something. As I said, it really contrasts with all of the options for interaction that you have on your own ship.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Also, the generals only become mildly more respectful towards you as the game progresses. After I won the final battle, Edmund congratulated me on winning despite my 'mediocre intelligence'. Unfortunately, the game didn't give me the option to burn him to a crisp.

The problem is that they don't give you a reason to care about winning on the strategic map. Your enemies are your half-siblings, you're supposed to be at least somewhat familiar with their personalities and the way they were before they became completely corrupted. 2013 Larian is absolutely capable of writing a good, non-cliché backstory for something like that. Instead, you wipe them out while barely even knowing their names or being able to tell them apart. In fact, I literally cannot remember their names except that Red was Khartam or something. As I said, it really contrasts with all of the options for interaction that you have on your own ship.

Yeah, I would have loved some way to communicate with them in between battles or something, just to give them a little personality. Even if it's just trash-talking letters or something like that, something to make them a little more interesting than "that one's blue"

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Drifter posted:

Uhh...it's an rpg. You can tell a story by doing stuff, dude, and people's reactions and feedback to it.
He's not asking for more cutscenes, he's asking for a fleshed out narrative.
Er what? This game isn't even close to an RPG. It's closer to a Tropico (politics/factions) and Total War (strategy map/RTS battles) hybrid than any RPG. I never felt the need for more story to either of those two games.

That said you'll note I did agree that a little more story and characterization would be good. It's just not needed and I'm glad it's not garbage I'm forced to wade through like Heart of the Swarm was.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Phlegmish posted:

Manual posted:

Eventually, their union bore an adored child. Spared
an untimely end at the hands of Sigurd’s spurned queen, the child was entrusted
to the wizard Maxos, who placed him in the care of a loving family. There, he
would grow up unknown to any enemies and unaware of the tragedies that
followed soon after his birth.

Nope, Larian Studios carefully wrote in a reason for you not to know poo poo about your family and opponents on the world map.

So, how does the characterization of your world map opponents compare to say, Advance Wars? More or less fleshed out than the whatever palette-swapped clone shows up next?

I'm just bitter because I haven't had the opportunity or energy to sit down and play past the one time I tried to dive in without reading the manual or finding a tutorial and failed miserably.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phlegmish posted:

I think that's just part of Edmund's charm- like Scarlett says if you take a certain decision, a nice Edmund is infinitely more unsettling than his normal disdain. To be honest, I agree with her, but maybe I'm just strange for liking Edmund as he is. The other generals also turn out much better if you finish their questlines right- Henry's your drinking buddy, Scarlett will be thinking of you always (not in that way, though), and Catherine will have complete respect for you, though her issues with dudes will still require working out. I think Edmund also respects you too, but his pride will never allow him to admit it outright without at least some snarkiness making it through.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Hey this game seems really, really cool. Not sure why, but I always thought this was just a Panzer Dragoon clone. Would anyone be interested in sharing a 4-pack? It would be $27 per since I get 10% for owning Divinity 2.

1) Resonance22
2)
3)
4)

Raze_Larian
Mar 31, 2013

Larian Studios

Darkrenown posted:

Managed not to get utterly stomped in combat, but now my sound crackles and skips when my generals/advisers etc. talk to me, any way to solve that?

So one turn/game it was fine, and then you suddenly started having sound problems?

If you start a new campaign, do you have the same problem?

Try emailing supportdc@larian.com, with a description of the problem and the report.zip file generated by the Dragon Commander support tool.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The co-optional Podcast (Total Biscuit, Dodger, Jesse Cox, Angry Joe) talked about Dragon Commander. They enjoyed it, despite agreeing with the general sentiment that the RTS elements were the weakest parts. (38:22 till 48:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXQZsekcg58&t=2300s

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Raze_Larian posted:

So one turn/game it was fine, and then you suddenly started having sound problems?

If you start a new campaign, do you have the same problem?

Try emailing supportdc@larian.com, with a description of the problem and the report.zip file generated by the Dragon Commander support tool.

The first time I just dived into the map/RTS ASAP to see what it was like (I had limited time), after that I restarted and listened to what people had to say. Once I start chatting to people on the Raven The first few lines sound fine, then it gets progressively more crackly, and yes, it is the same if I start a new game. I'll see what support say.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
New patch is live.

Larian QA posted:

Patch 1.0.40 contains the following changes:
- Major change: Return to lobby after game
- Major change: performance on raven for dualcore systems
- Icon distance multiplier available in options menu
- Several achievement fixes
- Transporters do not pick-up units when in kamikaze mode
- You can not create combat units anymore when you have retreated
- Charming back a unit is now possible
- Mines should explode once fuse is lit
- Close chatlog when ending combat
- Remove speed from immobile units
- Fix for units remaining after surrender
- Protect while cloaked fixed
- All bombardment should be on the ground
- Kamikaze Friendly Fire fixed
- Air turret got a reveal button
- Fix for kamikaze transport targetting air units
- Show aura skills correctly in loadout screen
- Restealth after transitioning to/from beetle
- Unit selection sounds when boxselecting
- Expanded description for battleship order imp fighter
- Fix for flares not stopping vertical bullets
- Beetles can be slowed down & speed tooltip update
- Custom campaign level pool fixed
- AI Fixes when loading the game (difficulty)
- Tooltip info in dragon loadout
- Drop down has been disabled for teams in custom campaign
- Several graphics settings don't require a restart when altering them
- Cam returns back to original position after going over a mountain
- Several AI improvements (in combat and strategy phase)
- Dialog fix (swapped 2 nodes for Oberon)
- Several UI updates

I really like that you can charm back units that were charmed by the enemy, that was one of the changes I requested in the beta. The performance improvement on the Raven is also really good. The AI seems to use Transports a bit more, but I'll have to re-play Chapter 2 or in a custom campaign to be sure.

If you want to be in the beta of test patches, you can do that.

Larian QA posted:

Note: The preview branch is meant as a beta-version of upcoming patches. It is not as stable as the default live branch.

How to activate the preview branch:
- go to your library in steam, right click on Divinity: Dragon Commander and select properties.
- You will see a tab BETAS on the top. Select it and enter the following code in the private betas section: W7QQVNWzQ8X8QRd6
- You should now have a "Preview" option in the dropdown list. Select it and wait for a moment as steam syncs to the Preview branch.
- If the preview does not appear in the list, or your game is not being updated, please restart steam completely by exiting steam and logging in again.
- If you want to change back to the normal version, simply repeat the steps above but select "NONE" instead of "preview" in the dropdown list

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
AI fixes when loading the game? Was it resetting it back to easy or something?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Did you guys catch the frontpage Video Game Article on Dragon Commander and Gone Home? Sounds like a fair assessment. Corin Tucker's Stalker has good taste, by the way, I actually found out about Divinity II thanks to his review of it a few years ago.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I overlooked it at first because the silly "they both have monster truck cover art" joke in the beginning lead me to believe that it would be an article full of jokes (which is fine for a comedy website of course) but upon closer inspection it's actually a solid and accurate summary of what makes the game fun and unique.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The AI is really smart. I tried to taking advantage of the fact that the AI was making masses of Troopers, and I planted mines. After the first group or two of units blew up on the mines, the AI actually wised up and started sending a single Hunter (with the reveal skill) in front of groups of Troopers to spot and kill the mines.

In some recent matches I've gotten into situations where I did base-trading (the AI comes to beat my base, I go and take over his base), which always keeps things interesting.

What are everyone's custom campaign/multiplayer settings? I'm starting to use double Recruit costs and double Dragon spawn costs (and increased starting recruits). That really changes the game and slows it down when you have so few units except what you brought. I also even tried triple recruit costs, but that was just ridiculously slow.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Resonance22 posted:

Hey this game seems really, really cool. Not sure why, but I always thought this was just a Panzer Dragoon clone. Would anyone be interested in sharing a 4-pack? It would be $27 per since I get 10% for owning Divinity 2.

1) Resonance22
2) Looselybased
3)
4)

Interested!

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Do you happen to know what is going on with GoG? They still haven't released the savegame fixing patch and now there is a new one. I have not been able to play since the bugs in the original version make it impossible, and i can't continue my savegames because GoGs only patch breaks it. Certainly not buying brand new games from GoG ever again.

Koboje fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 19, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Koboje posted:

Do you happen to know what is going on with GoG? They still haven't released the savegame fixing patch and now there is a new one. I have not been able to play since the bugs in the original version make it impossible, and i can't continue my savegames because GoGs only patch breaks it. Certainly not buying brand new games from GoG ever again.

I'm not sure. There seems to be some he-said/she-said going on. GoG says they're waiting for Larian to send them the patch, Larian says that they did. I'll keep an eye on the other forums to see what's going on.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Koboje posted:

I wouldn't be like that. Developers have to do certain things for every distributor and then sometimes there is some communication or other issue. Gog is a great site.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not sure. There seems to be some he-said/she-said going on. GoG says they're waiting for Larian to send them the patch, Larian says that they did. I'll keep an eye on the other forums to see what's going on.
Alright thanks for the response.

glug posted:

I wouldn't be like that. Developers have to do certain things for every distributor and then sometimes there is some communication or other issue. Gog is a great site.

GoG is great, i know, i have bought dozens of games from them and had no problem with any of them, it is just this one game and the fact that it is new and cool and i want to play the videogame :smith: It is also the first new game and the first really expensive game i have bought from them, i just don't want this to be or become the standard to expect.

Raze_Larian
Mar 31, 2013

Larian Studios
From the Larian forum:

ForkTong posted:

You can now download update 1.0.40 from the Vault. If you have the Steam version, you will receive it automatically.

GOG will put it online today.

We are testing out an autopatching system for the GOG and Vault versions so you don't have to worry about these anymore.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Good to hear about upcoming improvements to GOG for patching. Like Koboje, this was the first "new" game I purchased thru GOG that would need multiple patches and I haven't played too much waiting for said patch catch-up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Silverfire / Divinity Anthology jetpack instructions are going out now. Check your e-mail.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Larian got some coverage in G van Games, which is a free Belgian game magazine. You can read it, if you read Belgian, here.

I don't know Belgian, but here's the summary Google Translated:

quote:

Change the spice of life and does everything you crave for more. To Dragon Commander The somewhat unusual combination of genres works perfectly and the game is not boring quickly. If dragon cleave the air you never even get tired. However, we were sometimes a little sit on our hunger by the lack of depth in the different aspects of the gameplay. However, the dialogues do very much good and the difficult decisions you have to make ensure that you remain emotionally involved. Larian Studios Dragon Commander has shown that it has endured with a unique and entertaining concept. Switched to good indie developer

great
+ Dragons
+ [Genre] Combinations
+ Dialogues
- Few depth

As a bonus, I just beat Act 2. I took both citadels solely through the TBS battles because gently caress those citadel maps.

This is what the final battle movements looked like.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 22, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Are you being ironic or do you really think 'Belgian' is a language? It's in Dutch.

To avenge this grave insult I challenge you to a DC duel. As soon as my new computer arrives.

Edit: I read through the article, which makes the following points:

- Not everyone was happy with Larian's decision to step away from the aRPG formula for DC and D:OS (which I suppose is technically correct, though I haven't seen a lot of people complain)

- They thought the turn-based strategy portion was the weakest and most boring part of the game since your options are so limited, though they do like the fact that you can undo actions.

- They loved the music, graphics, dialogues and characters.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 22, 2013

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Are you being ironic or do you really think 'Belgian' is a language?

It's the suspicious mix of English, French, Dutch, Sign language and German spoken whenever a Flemish person meets a Walloon person and decide to have a conversation.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Phlegmish posted:

Are you being ironic or do you really think 'Belgian' is a language? It's in Dutch.

To avenge this grave insult I challenge you to a DC duel. As soon as my new computer arrives.

I ain't speak what words they say over in Belgia. :clint:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
In my game, it got stuck at the opening part of the lizards evolved from orcs bit, so for the rest of the game the dwarven ambassador kept spewing his line about the scientist and the general kept spewing his line about being offended over and over again. None of the other generals ever started their plotlines. In the end, it just felt like a boring political game tossed over a mediocre RTS. In retrospect, I probably should've kept my money for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Adventure Pigeon posted:

In my game, it got stuck at the opening part of the lizards evolved from orcs bit, so for the rest of the game the dwarven ambassador kept spewing his line about the scientist and the general kept spewing his line about being offended over and over again. None of the other generals ever started their plotlines. In the end, it just felt like a boring political game tossed over a mediocre RTS. In retrospect, I probably should've kept my money for something else.

That's so early on why wouldn't you just restart the game, or wait for a patch? Holy poo poo.

I realize it's frustrating, but I can't really bring myself to have any sympathy. At that point you just stop playing and wait for a patch or something. That's like saying "yeah, I went to see a movie but the screen went black and the sound cut out after the first 20 minutes, but I still sat in the dark and ate popcorn for the rest of the two hours. Man, I wish I hadn't gone to see the movie."

Like, I get, and somewhat agree that the storyline is absolutely shallow and undeveloped and the rts sections are probably best played against a non-AI opponent, but even so.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 22, 2013

• Locked thread