Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Captain Postal posted:

I absolutely agree. Let's generalize it.

Have there been any since WWII/Korea? Apart from Vietnam... And in Korea/Vietnam, CSG's didn't make the difference they did in WWII, because there was less need to operate away from land based support.

Half a century is hardly a long enough slice of time to make a sweeping generalization of the nature of war.

quote:

You've fought Afghanistan at least 3 times now: Once in Vietnam, once in Iraq III, and once in Afghanistan. Each time the US was unready for it. Asymmetric warfare is what the US is most likely to face because the groups who would attack you can't do so symmetrically.

How does Afghanistan differ from other guerrilla wars? (Serious question, not rhetorical.)

The problem with guerrilla wars is that the most consistent means of winning them is total warfare. If you're not willing to brutally suppress the region, you need to answer exactly the question you're asking. There are similarities, but every insurgency is unique...failure to understand that, and failure to understand the local situation is what got Che Guevara killed despite his experience in Cuba. Vietnam posed challenges to the US not just because it was a jungle and we hadn't fought in a jungle in decades, but because we've "evolved" to where we don't want to smash civilian populations to get to the real enemies. Contrast that with Pershing's efforts 70 years earlier. The solution to an insurgency is either brutality or politics, and we failed utterly even understanding the political situation in Vietnam until the war was already lost (which we didn't understand until later), and in Afghanistan we have the same fundamental problem: the only solution to the situation is one that's politically unacceptable to the US. Afghanistan won't support a western-style democracy. Vietnam could, but we shut down their elections when we realized the Communists would win. War isn't just about battlefield statistics, there are layers upon layers upon layers and unfortunately most of them matter.

quote:

I agree 100% that you can't plan the next war based on the last, but carriers striking 1000's of miles from any land base stinks of WWII to me, and the only reason I can see why any Admiral would suggest it as a real option is to justify their massive budgets so as to confirm their self-importance in Washington. Although I'm not in "the industry".

Ideally we'd plan based on reality, but that would offend people. So we war game against made up countries with fake names like Osteteria and Limnadia who use the weapons and tactics of countries that actually exist. And we try to come up with new ways to counter them. But at the strategic level that doesn't really work. Like it or not, there are possibilities for an armed conflict against China...not today, not next year, but 20 years down the road, yes. And with the length of time it takes to develop a new weapons system (HMMWV replacement? F-22? Aircraft carrier construction?) that's the minimum we need to be looking at.

quote:

Vietnam has runways that can launch tankers. Or strike aircraft. So does Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, Japan... If you're talking about positioning a CSG to make sure another superpower behaves or has their invasion force sunk from under them, why do you need carrier based heavy tankers?

It's real easy to take out a runway, and those are really close to China so yeah I wouldn't count on those at all to deploy anything strategically valuable. I'd put helicopters and poo poo up there, not tankers that can't be replaced for 10 years.

quote:

I don't question the value of having CSG's, only in expecting them to operate beyond support from land-based aircraft/tankers in an environment where the threat of anti-shipping attacks is so great they must stand-off 400NM from the coast. To me, the USN expecting to have to fight against such an enemy without USAF support is a bit like the USMC expecting to have to fight without USN support. So you end up with the F-35B and other monstrosities.

(And I do have an infantry-trained bias, but boots-on-the-ground is what wins a war. Sometimes. I can't think of any exceptions off-hand, except maybe Libya.)

Let's use a simple example for something ridiculous that impacted a military organization (and brings it back to airplanes). NATO's E-3 AWACS fleet is registered in Luxembourg. Because some of the -stans don't have official diplomatic relations with Luxembourg, NATO was unable to deploy their AWACS in support of ISAF for two years while they sorted it out. My point isn't that the US would abide by such a restriction (we'd likely overfly and deal with the reaction later) but that the stupidest goddamn thing can have a big impact. What if a KC-135 has a gear failure and shuts down the runway at McConnell or Fairchild AFB and cuts off 1/4 of the goddamn fleet from even deploying for a couple of days while they put out the insane fire and patch the runway? What happens if something cartwheels on the runway at Kadena and cuts off goddamn everything? The Navy needs to be able to support itself...not to the same extent that the AF can, obviously, but even with the improved range of the Super Hornet vs Hornet, it's a potential problem. But so's the F-16, so whatever.

Edit: There's a good military history thread in A/T, and I'm sure there are people who know more about the history of guerrilla warfare than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Interrupting war-talk with this cool video someone posted to the horror that is facebook.

Helicopter water drop action with an interesting water supply. Link is Liveleak if that matters to you.

http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=b287f9120299

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Locator posted:

Interrupting war-talk with this cool video someone posted to the horror that is facebook.

Helicopter water drop action with an interesting water supply. Link is Liveleak if that matters to you.

The only thing that could make this better is if be didnt ask, first.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

helicopters are loving awesome.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

The Locator posted:

:drat: If I didn't know, I would say he does this on this spot everyday for a living.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kerrow posted:

:drat: If I didn't know, I would say he does this on this spot everyday for a living.

Is it just me or is he pretty close to the shrubs above him?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

The Locator posted:

I want to watch how fast he has to dump the collective as that bucket empties.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Neckbeard (avid skywatcher) sees obvious distant aircraft with contrails mystery object during sunset. Calls news :supaburn:

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mystery-object-spotted-high-in-the-sky-above-waterloo-1.1419311

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

I wonder if they actually sent someone to knock on the door and ask if they could dip the water out of the pool or if its a case of "we're taking your water, deal with it/the alternative is letting your house burn to the ground."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Given the home's proximity to the fire, I bet the owners didn't mind.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I had the opportunity to be on the flight line at KSZL when Obama was in town a month or so ago.

Full set here

IMG_1802 by jg zkc, on Flickr

IMG_1791 by jg zkc, on Flickr

IMG_1843 by jg zkc, on Flickr

IMG_1884 by jg zkc, on Flickr

IMG_1891 by jg zkc, on Flickr

IMG_1946 by jg zkc, on Flickr

IMG_2040 by jg zkc, on Flickr

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Does AF1 use different engines than say a standard commercial 747?

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yes, GE CF6- 80C2B1 on that 747. Probably uprated to highest or higher than normal thrust for extra oomph.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OptimusMatrix posted:

It's 744 engines on a 742.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That's pretty neat. I've only gone out to see Air Force One once, and it was a while ago (early 2009, Obama had just been inaugurated.) Photos were total crap so I'm jealous of you.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Tree pruning, BK style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gti45xhgysg

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

PatrickBateman posted:

Yes, GE CF6- 80C2B1 on that 747. Probably uprated to highest or higher than normal thrust for extra oomph.

Also with core cowls and exhaust outer barrel polished a tad more than what you typically will find.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Understeer posted:

Also with core cowls and exhaust outer barrel polished a tad more than what you typically will find.

...At all.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

It's 744 engines on a 742.

They also have a hybrid -400 and -200 flight deck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wdarkk posted:

Is it just me or is he pretty close to the shrubs above him?

Perspective and distance can be tricky with a two dimensional image like in the pic of the DC 10 air tanker but yeah the blades look really close to that white wall thing. I'm guessing the blades are actually above but regardless the pilot is very skilled!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

On this date in 1961, a DC-8 exceeded Mach one. On purpose.
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/I-Was-There-Boeing-Will-Never-Try-It.html

(It's a day late. Oh well)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Watching them sloowwwwwly pump 12,000 lbs of fuel out of the helicopter because it needs to be weighed empty prior to the customer taking delivery of it.

Fuel that can't go back in an aircraft, so it winds up being sold to a utility to burn it in a peaking plant or something. Sort of makes me wish I drove a bigass diesel pickup so I could just grab every jerrycan in the state and fill them up.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Meanwhile, in Ze Fazerland, a Turkish bodybuilder sneaks aboard Angela Merkel's A319 wearing only his underpants and carrying a bag of weed and ecstacy. He then proceeds to have a one-man rave. I salute you, Volkan T., wherever you are now :patriot:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This is cool: SeaTac installed a central air condition system that pumps the cool air to planes at the gate so they don't have to run the APU, saving a bunch of fuel.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52749461/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/t/central-air-sea-tac-airport-expected-save-millions/

P.s. I noticed there is a second large AWACS at King County Airport now. I only saw it from the freeway but the two giant radomes are hard to miss.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

This is cool: SeaTac installed a central air condition system that pumps the cool air to planes at the gate so they don't have to run the APU, saving a bunch of fuel.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52749461/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/t/central-air-sea-tac-airport-expected-save-millions/

P.s. I noticed there is a second large AWACS at King County Airport now. I only saw it from the freeway but the two giant radomes are hard to miss.

I thought this was normal. What is the big yellow accordion tube thing for then?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

I thought this was normal. What is the big yellow accordion tube thing for then?

Most of the time it's just a big self-contained electric A/C unit hanging off the bottom of the jet bridge, instead of a central cooling system pumping cold water from somewhere else to the jet bridge.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Does it do heat, too? Seattle isn't exactly known for being a place you need air conditioning all year.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Does it do heat, too? Seattle isn't exactly known for being a place you need air conditioning all year.

even on a cooler day, especially if it's sunny, an aircraft can heat up quite a bit. 200+ IFE screens baking away, plus lighting can make things pretty uncomfortable.
Heathrow T3 only has a couple of gates with AC at the gate, and there's no mobile AC carts, and yet every single day this summer without fail, at least one crew will call over the VHF requesting the non-existent air conditioning cart/bridge air be put on. Some of them get really stroppy too when they get told there isn't any (especially if the APU bleed is U/S).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CharlesM posted:

If you can, a shot of the tails would be appreciated (strictly for curiosity's sakes, so if you can't it's still cool).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Meanwhile, in Ze Fazerland, a Turkish bodybuilder sneaks aboard Angela Merkel's A319 wearing only his underpants and carrying a bag of weed and ecstacy. He then proceeds to have a one-man rave. I salute you, Volkan T., wherever you are now :patriot:

Hahaha holy poo poo, that owns.

Godholio posted:

If you can, a shot of the tails would be appreciated (strictly for curiosity's sakes, so if you can't it's still cool).

Maybe in my copious amounts of spare time I can sneak over there to take some pics. Brown guy snipping pics from the perimeter fence always ends well :negative:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Linedance posted:

even on a cooler day, especially if it's sunny, an aircraft can heat up quite a bit. 200+ IFE screens baking away, plus lighting can make things pretty uncomfortable.
Heathrow T3 only has a couple of gates with AC at the gate, and there's no mobile AC carts, and yet every single day this summer without fail, at least one crew will call over the VHF requesting the non-existent air conditioning cart/bridge air be put on. Some of them get really stroppy too when they get told there isn't any (especially if the APU bleed is U/S).

I saw a DC-8 full of horses return to the gate once because the horses started passing out and dying from the heat, during the taxi to the active. A/C is important in an aluminum tube.

(DC-8s use turbocompressors, instead of air cycle machines, which means no AC until you're in the air. Bummer if you're a horse in Miami.)

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

loving :laffo:
Also, it's absolutely no surprise that this happened in Cologne of all places.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jealous Cow posted:

oh yeah I guess it is, I didn't really know that. I'm sitting in Atlanta airport and see those. I guess as mentioned a central plant for "conditioned air" is new?

Also next time I go to museum of flight / king county airport I'll bring a real camera :)

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

parrhesia posted:

loving :laffo:
Also, it's absolutely no surprise that this happened in Cologne of all places.
Mods, change my username to VOLKAN THE INTRUDER, tia.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I've been in my underwear with a bag of weed and ecstasy before, but never on a head of states plane. I need to step up my game.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

MrYenko posted:

The only thing that could make this better is if be didnt ask, first.

They tend not too- I know the Country Fire Service Act here in South Aus gives firefighters the power to commandeer any resources they need to combat the fire- including your pool's contents.

Its sooo much funnier when the bambi bucket drops and inflatable toy out of it as well as the water. But yeah, if your pool is closer than a dam or a lake, then its getting drained. After a big fire in our area we ran around for a week or two with our Bulk Water Carrier and filled up peoples pools and dropped more water into their dams for them to replace what had been taken out- in a rural area in a drought its a good publicity exercise

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ferremit posted:

They tend not too- I know the Country Fire Service Act here in South Aus gives firefighters the power to commandeer any resources they need to combat the fire- including your pool's contents.

That's how it works here in NZ too AFAIK.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Today while heading home in Renton I saw a pair of V-22 Osprey's flying North towards Seattle, I guess they must of been heading towards Boeing Field. Was a cool thing to see, just wish my phone hadn't ran out of power or i would of took a picture.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

ElBrak posted:

Today while heading home in Renton I saw a pair of V-22 Osprey's flying North towards Seattle, I guess they must of been heading towards Boeing Field. Was a cool thing to see, just wish my phone hadn't ran out of power or i would of took a picture.

I hope you altered your course to avoid being underneath them for any length of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Those AC units would have been so nice when I used to work there on IFE systems. Like was mentioned, after sitting for hours with the IFE system on and doors closed it's an oven in those things. Getting a breeze to blow through isn't quite feasible no matter how many doors are opened, too.

I work at Boeing Field. I'll try to see if I can get the registration on those AWACS when at work next.