Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sebmojo posted:

A fair point. (tips fedora)

Changing the subject a bit, how many dangling plot points are actually left? Let's see, we have Hilgya, Durkon's dwarves and the death and destruction that will be visited upon them, Belkar's death... Hm.

Haley's species ('I'm not exactly what you might call...') Elan's plan to defeat Tarquin...

Why the Order of the Scribble split up, the identity of the MITD, Durkon's dwarves, the fiends' plot, the nature of the Snarl...

I was thinking there weren't that many but now I list them like that I'm not sure that's right.

Haley's human that was about something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also: Roy's father finding a semblance of peace.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsterEnvy posted:

Go on? I agree it's a wacky fan theory she's half Celestial or something, but what do you think she was about to say?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There's also Jirix maybe being an evil dictator, the Azure city survivors stuff and (SOD related) the MitD being compelled to eat Red Cloak.

Anyways, it might be character development but I find good/neutral Belkar to be pretty boring, I miss evil Belkar.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I just remembered that since I rarely hesitate to point out when Rich stumbles on a sub-par page, I am obligated to also explicitly give him props when he outdoes himself. And the more I look at this strip, the more I am impressed by how it is masterfully executed in pretty much every way. (So was Nale, too.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

I just remembered that since I rarely hesitate to point out when Rich stumbles on a sub-par page, I am obligated to also explicitly give him props when he outdoes himself. And the more I look at this strip, the more I am impressed by how it is masterfully executed in pretty much every way. (So was Nale, too.)

I think Rich really enjoys writing Tarquin. It's like we're seeing his true evil puppet master colours.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Go on? I agree it's a wacky fan theory she's half Celestial or something, but what do you think she was about to say?

A good person.
An honest person.
A natural redhead.
A gifted lover.
A woman.
the very model of a scientist Solarian.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

CapnAndy posted:

No no no no no. This is the top strip.

This one is probably my favorite, because I've always liked Belkar and this page made him even better.

Seriously, the "I need to pretend to have character growth" cracks me up every time.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Was the theory about Ian Starshine being related to the Draketooths in some way and surviving due to Anti-Magic Field shenanigans ever actually debunked?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Niton posted:

Was the theory about Ian Starshine being related to the Draketooths in some way and surviving due to Anti-Magic Field shenanigans ever actually debunked?

It was not, although I find it somewhat unlikely. But you never know.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

Ian wasn't killed sooooo...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

No the idea behind that fan theory is that he managed to avoid being hit by the famlicide spell due to being in an anti-magic field where the spell couldn't hit him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Niton posted:

Haley was under no such Anti-Magic Field when the Familicide went off, so yeah, I'd say it's pretty well debunked.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

sebmojo posted:

Changing the subject a bit, how many dangling plot points are actually left? Let's see, we have Hilgya, Durkon's dwarves and the death and destruction that will be visited upon them, Belkar's death... Hm.

Haley's species ('I'm not exactly what you might call...') Elan's plan to defeat Tarquin...

Why the Order of the Scribble split up, the identity of the MITD, Durkon's dwarves, the fiends' plot, the nature of the Snarl...

I was thinking there weren't that many but now I list them like that I'm not sure that's right.

Nobody has realized yet that Haley's uncle was working with the Greysky Thieves' Guild, right? I bet that'll get a strip or two of denouement. Also, SOD spoilers, Redcloak has a niece out there somewhere, possibly raised by humans/non-evil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Haley was under no such Anti-Magic Field when the Familicide went off, so yeah, I'd say it's pretty well debunked.

The way the spell is phrased is that it bounces from person to person. It doesn't kill them all at once, it kills Mother and then Son. So (at least according to the theory), if it couldn't bounce off Ian then it couldn't get to Haley.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 22, 2013

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

besides, epic magic can cut through anti-magic fields like a hot knife through warm butter.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CapnAndy posted:

I disagree.

See, the spell seemed to me to work sequentially. It kills a direct relative of Mama Dragon, then a direct relative of that dragon, and then the next, and next, and so on. Presuming that the next relative in line was Ian, then Familicide could have gone for Ian and hit the anti-magic cell and stopped, thus sparing Haley (and any other of Ian's direct relatives to whom he was the link.)

Besides, without getting to spergy about the technical details of the spell, let's look at it from a dramatic standpoint. Assuming Ian (and the traitor Geoff) are headed to the Draketooths to hide out, either because they are related or because Ian just knows them, then what happens next? They appear in Windy Canyon, see the hideout destroyed and Tarquin's army on site and Haley and Tarquin's son just chatting it up! We already know Ian's a paranoid SOB, what's he going to think then?

Nothing good, hence the drama.

Also, though I can't seem to find it at the moment, I know there was a joke about Haley being part dragon because of the way she literally has her own dragon-style hoard, and Rich does love to throw out little bits of foreshadowing disguised as one-liners...

Vorgen posted:

besides, epic magic can cut through anti-magic fields like a hot knife through warm butter.

Don't you have to pay for that when you design the spell, though? Maybe the Necromancer was saving on design points since she was already blowing most of them on "anywhere in the world" and all. And anyway, who's to say that the anti-magic cells aren't Epic themselves? There's no proof Tarquin and company had anything to do with their construction. They may have inherited them when they conquered the joint.

All I'm saying is that it could be possible and possible is all Rich needs to make it that way if he wanted to, and I think there are good reasons to make it so.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cliff Racer posted:

Anyways, it might be character development but I find good/neutral Belkar to be pretty boring, I miss evil Belkar.

Belkar is still evil, he has simply developed personality traits other than hedonism and sadism.

Much like Tarquin and Malack had a deep, long-term friendship despite being continental villains.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Voyager I posted:

Belkar is still evil, he has simply developed personality traits other than hedonism and sadism.

Much like Tarquin and Malack had a deep, long-term friendship despite being continental villains.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-continental/n10786/

"Durkon, welcome to my study, would you like some bloodchamp-AG-na?"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Can you guys please not return to the anti-magic field does or does not argument? It's one of those ones that doesn't go anywhere. Please!

Also it's heavily hinted Belkar isn't all that evil anymore. He shows remorse, empathy and other weird non-Belkar traits.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Nobody has realized yet that Haley's uncle was working with the Greysky Thieves' Guild, right? I bet that'll get a strip or two of denouement.
Yeah, we don't know where they went to or what happened with them at all. We at least know why they're where they are but I agree, I think someone is going to figure something out.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The thing about the antimagic field debate is that the only points in favor of Ian being related to the Draketooths are "story over rules" and there being a joke that one time that Haley was part dragon because she likes treasure. On the other hand, we have word of god on how Familicide works, and Haley is alive. QED.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

sebmojo posted:

The truth about Mr. Scruffy.

This is a bit more speculative, but he noticed Z's scrying sensor, which implies high intelligence or alertness, things he wouldn't get from animal companionship or being a cat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Also it's heavily hinted Belkar isn't all that evil anymore. He shows remorse, empathy and other weird non-Belkar traits.

So did Malack, and he was still planning to march the whole continent into death camps.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Belkar is still evil. Just look how he treated his charmed kobold captive. He's just not one dimensional anymore.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

The truth about Mr. Scruffy.

This is a bit more speculative, but he noticed Z's scrying sensor, which implies high intelligence or alertness, things he wouldn't get from animal companionship or being a cat.

While I'm not sure noticing a disembodied eye really qualifies Mr Scruffy as intelligent, there's definitely been other occasions where he's acted a little too intelligently for a cat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sebmojo posted:

Why the Order of the Scribble split up

There was always tension between Soon and Girard because they were both alignment dicks, and then Kraagor died when he didn't have to and Girard blamed Soon for it. Lirian and Dorukan never actually split up. Serini's fate hasn't been touched on at all, but she might still be alive and would probably have been in touch with the others.

Which reminds me of a crazy theory I have: since Kraagor's Gate is Kraagor, he ends up being unpetrified when the gate is eventually undone, and ends up replacing Belkar on the last leg of the story. They both serve similar combat roles, they're both short non-humans and Kraagor is the least developed Order of the Scribble character.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The way that bit is told I always took it to mean Kraagor got eaten/unmade/whatever by the Snarl, and the others just erected a statue in his honor, rather than anything with petrification going on. Course, with the Snarl story unravelling the way it is, what really happened to him is anyone's guess. With the only account of his death directly involving the Snarl which to this day we haven't seen hide nor hair of, that puts his death as the catalyst for the Order of the Scribble split in some serious doubt, too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, yeah, I never even considered that, but it's quite possible. There goes that theory :(

Kraagor's death splitting the Order is alluded to in this strip, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moddington posted:

While I'm not sure noticing a disembodied eye really qualifies Mr Scruffy as intelligent, there's definitely been other occasions where he's acted a little too intelligently for a cat.

That kind of thing in that strip can probably be accounted for by the fact that he's now Belkar's Animal Companion, though.

I think that what he meant is that you have to have a high INT score or something to be able to see a scrying eye, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 22, 2013

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Moddington posted:

The thing about the antimagic field debate is that the only points in favor of Ian being related to the Draketooths are "story over rules" and there being a joke that one time that Haley was part dragon because she likes treasure. On the other hand, we have word of god on how Familicide works, and Haley is alive. QED.

Eh, the bigger problem from a rules perspective is that epic magic has a substantial(but not 100%) chance of ignoring anti-magic fields. Haley, on the other hand, was still under the protection of epic level abjuration when the spell was cast.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Apropos hanging plot threads, their is still Ian's escape from the dino. Since the Order apparently wont take any of tarquins resources, maybe the underground movement will help them out.

Also, between Tarquin, Ian and Eugene, this comic really has a theme of awful fathers.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 22, 2013

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

e X posted:

Apropos hanging plot threads, their is still Ian's escape from the dino. Since the Order apparently wont take any of tarquins resources, maybe the underground movement will help them out.

Also, between Tarquin, Ian and Eugene, this comic really has a theme of awful fathers.

As LOST reminded us, All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

e X posted:

Vaarsuvius may or may not count as well.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Spiderdrake posted:

Can you guys please not return to the anti-magic field does or does not argument? It's one of those ones that doesn't go anywhere. Please!
All I wanted was to see those plot railroading lizards get torn apart by a T-Rex, is that too much to ask?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

The way that bit is told I always took it to mean Kraagor got eaten/unmade/whatever by the Snarl, and the others just erected a statue in his honor, rather than anything with petrification going on. Course, with the Snarl story unravelling the way it is, what really happened to him is anyone's guess. With the only account of his death directly involving the Snarl which to this day we haven't seen hide nor hair of, that puts his death as the catalyst for the Order of the Scribble split in some serious doubt, too.

If there's a new, livable world on the other side of the Gates, Kraagor could still be alive there. He could have carved himself a nice little barbarian kingdom over the years.

The only eyewitness account we have of the Snarl killing someone and leaving a corpse is Soon's lady friend, waaay back here. And that account comes second-hand.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yeah the whole Snarl/Soon/Order of the Scribble story is seriously suspect. Okay, we know Soon and and the others actually existed, but really the time frame between the Scribble events and the current story just doesn't add up. I think it's safe to say that the Order(and us) know very very very little actual evidence/facts about the rifts.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah the whole Snarl/Soon/Order of the Scribble story is seriously suspect. Okay, we know Soon and and the others actually existed, but really the time frame between the Scribble events and the current story just doesn't add up. I think it's safe to say that the Order(and us) know very very very little actual evidence/facts about the rifts.

I think that one of the major running themes to the comic is that the OotS knows virtually nothing about what they're doing. They're so far out of their intellectual league that I think it's as much by luck as it is sheer force of will that they manage to accomplish anything. Not to mention the ineptitude of past villains (which has so sweetly been rectified finally!).

I also get the feeling that Hinjo's uncle knew more about the situation than he let on. I don't have any evidence of it, but I get the feeling that hard-nosed as he might have been, Soon and his allies might have known more than they've passed on to their descendants who protect each gate. For example, the Sapphire Guard obviously knew little more than "rift bad, gate good, protect or die (or both)". In all their travels, including finding and harnessing the ability to seal the rifts behind gates, you don't think they might have glanced into them? We saw the rift in AC had a whole world in it, and recently that the rift in WC had an ocean in it. I think it stands to reason that not all 5 of the adventurers would miss that easy of a spot check. If that's the case, then they withheld the information intentionally? I don't really know, I'm just kind of brainstorming.

It could be that the fiends think that the world on the other side of the rift is ripe for culling? And their angle is that they're trying to get people (the OotS) to destroy the gates willingly. The gate protected by the woods was burned by Redcloak, Dorukans gate was destroyed by Elan, AC gate was destroyed by Miko, and WC gate was destroyed by Roy. With the exception of the gate Redcloak destroyed (by magical fire) they've all been destroyed by someone in an attempt to keep it out of evil's hands. And I think that the gate Redcloak destroyed has only been alluded to (I don't have the books/extra strips) and so the specifics of that situation are unknown to me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mcswizzle posted:

In all their travels, including finding and harnessing the ability to seal the rifts behind gates, you don't think they might have glanced into them? We saw the rift in AC had a whole world in it, and recently that the rift in WC had an ocean in it. I think it stands to reason that not all 5 of the adventurers would miss that easy of a spot check. If that's the case, then they withheld the information intentionally?
I think the whole situation implies rather heavily that that's the case. The most info we got about the whole gates business is second hand from Shojo. Soon's ghost and Girard's illusion talked about it but - without having gone back and checked - I'm comfortable claiming that what they said was in line with Shojo's story but just ambiguous enough to be able to fit a completely different story. Much like Malack's talk about his children, actually.

For example, from Girard we know that Kraagor died in the rift, but if we discount Shojo's story, that's one man's vague statement. Could be Kraagor survived on the other side and Girard simply thought he was dead - characters operating on their own flawed knowledge rather than stating truth is another big thing in OotS. Hell, so is Rich giving out subtle clues. Maybe Kraagor did die in the rift, but Roy spelled out how that could easily happen when he said he wasn't about to go through a rift that led to the middle of an ocean in heavy armor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

mcswizzle posted:

It could be that the fiends think that the world on the other side of the rift is ripe for culling? And their angle is that they're trying to get people (the OotS) to destroy the gates willingly. The gate protected by the woods was burned by Redcloak, Dorukans gate was destroyed by Elan, AC gate was destroyed by Miko, and WC gate was destroyed by Roy. With the exception of the gate Redcloak destroyed (by magical fire) they've all been destroyed by someone in an attempt to keep it out of evil's hands. And I think that the gate Redcloak destroyed has only been alluded to (I don't have the books/extra strips) and so the specifics of that situation are unknown to me.

Lirian's gate was covered in Start of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Redcloak heard a similar story from the dark one though. And that guy doesnt have that much of a motivation for lying to his own high priest.