Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ehhhh screw all that. Play as Venice and build banks everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait, you can build forts on top of resource nodes? Why have I never tried that before? Probably because I've never had a truly defensive campaign until Shogun 2. It was all ATTACK EVERYBODY WHO ISN'T ME OR ISN'T ALREADY SUCKING MY KING'S DICK.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Well, I've joined the blood pack crew. Here's hoping it's at least 80 cents worth of enjoyment!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
There is a mod that removes the weird 4th wall breaking splash on the screen, but the Blood Pack is hilarious and makes Shogun 2 a lot more enjoyable.

I hope there is one for RTW2 and other games in the future.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Jack Lusted's Macedon playthrough, pt. 1. Screenshots and text. They Egyptians hate you at the start of the game (no word on the Seleucids yet). It's like starting the game in Realm Divide, except with Alexander's empire instead of Japan. You can choose between different bodyguard units: cavalry, elite pikemen, elite hoplites, and elite peltasts. I like that they went to the trouble of giving the Thracian generals their own style of helmet.

Discussion thread on TW forums her-

quote:

Great work so far guys, well done!

My only complaint here is about the Greek/Macedonian officer faces in the campaign. Why do they have so rough and dark skin?
Sorry but they look ugly imo.

quote:

Setrus,where will you import your slaves from ? Mine will come from the depths of Ethiopia.

EDIT: This isn't the Rome II thread. :saddowns:

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 21, 2013

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

SHISHKABOB posted:

My favorite M2TW campaigns are the ones where the Pope goes out of control.

Here's the first glimpse I got of the Papal States after I bribed them into a ceasefire to stop their crusading doomstacks:

And here's the map 88 turns later:

The most horrifying part of it is that according to the military ranking thing, I've got like 45% the military that the pope has got. Thankfully I've got elephants.

They just called another crusade on Antioch though, so I think it's time for a break.

Is that the New World on the western edge of the minimap? Is it accessible? What mod are you playing with?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

brozozo posted:

Is that the New World on the western edge of the minimap? Is it accessible? What mod are you playing with?

The New World is a part of vanilla M2TW.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The New World is a part of vanilla M2TW.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that. Shows how long it's been since I played M2TW.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

brozozo posted:

Oh man, I totally forgot about that. Shows how long it's been since I played M2TW.

Well, by the time it shows up most players would have either quit or steamrolled the game anyways. Not hard to forget under those circumstances.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The New World was pretty meh from what I remember, unless of course it was that campaign from Kingdoms.

Also goons, now is the best time to pick up any of the Total War games as that big STEAM sale is still on going.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

By the by, here's the Rome 2 thread in case anyone else missed it.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait, you can build forts on top of resource nodes? Why have I never tried that before? Probably because I've never had a truly defensive campaign until Shogun 2. It was all ATTACK EVERYBODY WHO ISN'T ME OR ISN'T ALREADY SUCKING MY KING'S DICK.

Step one: Find a resource and send a general to it!

Step two: Build a fort. If you positioned it right, the fort will say Trade Resource worth X when you click the fort itself.

Step three: Move as many merchants as possible into the fort.

Keep at least one unit in the fort so it doesn't disappear, since units live forever until killed or disbanded you only have to pay the cost of upkeep for the unit. Get a unit of militia or peasants down to just a few men and you can maintain the fort for a pittance. You can fit up to 20 merchants in a single fort. On gold, ivory, dye, and slaves you can make insane amounts of cash per resource, but you'll need enough markets to actually recruit the merchants. For a 1 star merchant, a gold mine gives something like 150-200 gold per turn. So even with crappy merchants this will pull in 3000-4000 gold per turn for a stack of 20 merchants in the fort.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The new world is pretty great for trade resources like gold and chocolate, but in vanilla m2tw it takes ages to get there by boat, so it's not very effective to ship merchants over there. You have to conquer the territories and then build them up enough to produce your merchants over there, which is a bit of a pain. I haven't bothered to do it yet with my Timurids because :effort:

That fort trick is amazing. I knew you could do it with a unit, but a fort makes it sound so much better, oh man.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Discussion thread on TW forums her-

EDIT: This isn't the Rome II thread. :saddowns:

Why are seemingly so many of the hardcore totalwar forum posters horrible racists?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I guess spergy obsession over your own country's wars throughout history breeds nationalism.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

concerned mom posted:

Why are seemingly so many of the hardcore totalwar forum posters horrible racists?

You should have seen the reaction over some of them assuming there was a black Roman general in Egypt in one of CA's demonstrations. Because all Romans were white as snow you see, and nobody gets a tan in Egypt. :downs:

e: And then there's this gem http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?615081-So-were-there-black-legionairs

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 22, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

peer posted:

I guess spergy obsession over your own country's wars throughout history breeds nationalism.

Please don't associate those interested with history as fascist nationalists.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I didn't say being interested in history means you're a nationalist, but there's a difference between "having an interest" and "obsessing over minor details like the skin colour of your pixel macedonians".

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I can't remember if I mentioned this last, but CA is allowing people to get the multiplayer beta for Empire: Total War again, which was the only reason I bought the game in the first place. Any idea how long it will take them to send out a key. I've been waiting probably a week so far.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Please don't associate those interested with history as fascist nationalists.
I have a degree in history and I can confirm that people that focussed on national history or military history were either spergs or fascists and often both.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Also, I assume it's popped up in the thread before, but is there a fix for that whole clusterfuck that is installing Shogun 2 from the DVD? It just won't work, even when I try the "lol i dunno try this" method CA and Steam have posted on their website.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Can you stick the CD key in Steam and just download it from there?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I literally was just skimming the thread and saw something like this, and opened it up to see if it was something silly. Maybe it'll help? http://steamcommunity.com/app/34330/discussions/0/828924672611924049/#c828925849203828720

Also, all the total war games are on sale today, I broke and picked up the complete Napoleon collection, and also M2TW complete because I lost my Kingdoms CDs somewhere and really want to try some Stainless Steel. The word on Napoleon is it's way better than Empire, right?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretty much, you might not be able to conquer North America or India but Napoleon pretty much beats Empire down with everything else.

R. Mute posted:

I have a degree in history and I can confirm that people that focussed on national history or military history were either spergs or fascists and often both.

I hope you one day meet nice people in the field, for now stop reading TWC it brings out the bitterness in everyone.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Minarchist posted:

Let the cities revolt then slaughter them all? But if things are stable as is then there's no point.

They counter unrest in your cities and cause it in others iirc.

I'm not sure if your spies directly counter unrest but if you have random unrest in a city it's almost always a spy or maybe a ton of spies. It's not too uncommon for me to move a handful of spies into a town that I'm having unrest problems with and, on my enemy's turn, out pops 3+ enemy spies who are cast out of the city onto their asses or flop over dead.

Spies also seem to help you keep your family members safe from assassin-happy factions when they're marching abroad. Always have a spy or two in your army stacks. You'll at least see them coming with a good spy nearby.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

R. Mute posted:

I am cool mute, its just literally every other guy studying in my field!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Mute posted:

The military history thread has zero fascists and small degrees of sperginess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mans posted:

The military history thread has zero fascists and small degrees of sperginess.

The heavy moderation of these forums helps against the nationalism/fascism/racism, methinks. Sperginess comes with the territory, I guess.

I just finished Borderlands 2 co-op with my co-op pal.
I'm considering buying a duplicate copy of either Napoleon or Fall of the Samurai for him during this Steam sale to use while we co-op and conquer together.

Which one has the better co-op campaign/functionality? My understanding is that if me, Player 1, brings a stack of dudes to a battle against an enemy AI, my partner can control some dudes of my choice in FOTS. Does that functionality exist in Napoleon?
I like both campaigns equally, I guess, but I want to choose to buy just one of them to play together (because I'm not made of $3.74 and $7.49, respectively) Which one is the better experience for multiplayer co-op?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Be warned that in Shogun 2 me and my buddy were only vary rarely able to get the co-op to work. More often that not it would fail to connect or desync to the point of impossibility to play. I don't know if Napleon is any better or if my experience was rare, but there it is.

I never really had any other serious technical problems with the game but the coop just does not want to work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Be warned that in Shogun 2 me and my buddy were only vary rarely able to get the co-op to work. More often that not it would fail to connect or desync to the point of impossibility to play. I don't know if Napleon is any better or if my experience was rare, but there it is.

I never really had any other serious technical problems with the game but the coop just does not want to work.

We'd be playing on a LAN. Would that matter?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

canyoneer posted:

We'd be playing on a LAN. Would that matter?

We had LAN capability (same room) but bizarrely online usually worked better because LAN would almost never even connect. Online we could connect, but it would usually desync, crash, get stuck processing a turn, or simply not load a battle within five minutes.

It got to the point where the fact that coop was completely broken was mundane to us. What was flabbergasting was the sheer amount of distinct ways that it could fail.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chomp8645 posted:

We had LAN capability (same room) but bizarrely online usually worked better because LAN would almost never even connect. Online we could connect, but it would usually desync, crash, get stuck processing a turn, or simply not load a battle within five minutes.

It got to the point where the fact that coop was completely broken was mundane to us. What was flabbergasting was the sheer amount of distinct ways that it could fail.

:raise: Er, what? I've played over two dozen co-op games, both online and LAN. Online can get a bit spotty depending on how Steam feels, but I've never had LAN crap out on me. Might want to check your cables, or your router. The only time I've ever had desync issues was when I played a co-op game that was 200+ turns long (don't ask), and even then that was close to two years ago and I believe they patched that problem.

I believe you that you had problems getting co-op to work, but that's not at all the general experience to expect with Shogun 2 multiplayer.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

:raise: Er, what? I've played over two dozen co-op games, both online and LAN. Online can get a bit spotty depending on how Steam feels, but I've never had LAN crap out on me. Might want to check your cables, or your router. The only time I've ever had desync issues was when I played a co-op game that was 200+ turns long (don't ask), and even then that was close to two years ago and I believe they patched that problem.

I believe you that you had problems getting co-op to work, but that's not at all the general experience to expect with Shogun 2 multiplayer.

I'm not an idiot. I don't know what the cause it but it definitely isn't anything to with our network. And I never was claiming that these problems were typical, just that we have never been able to get the coop campaign to work.

Truth be told even if the connections worked it's the game itself that fails more often that not. Usually because battles fail to load it hangs on turn change or some such nonsense. The regular multiplayer works perfectly however, never had an issue. And I played a LOT of online multiplayer. It's just the coop that's hosed for us.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

Can you stick the CD key in Steam and just download it from there?
I can and that's what it does by default, but I'm not really feeling downloading 12+GB when I have the entire game sitting right there on a DVD.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope you one day meet nice people in the field, for now stop reading TWC it brings out the bitterness in everyone.
I doubt TWC has any actual historians. I also forgot to diss historians who focus on monarchies. They're also poo poo.

Davincie posted:

I am cool mute, its just literally every other guy studying in my field!
You're not a military historian, right? Get with the program, Vincie.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
People assume I love the Confederacy because I like Civil War history. People are stupid.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

R. Mute posted:

I can and that's what it does by default, but I'm not really feeling downloading 12+GB when I have the entire game sitting right there on a DVD.

Execpt that you will have to download at least twice that in patches if you install off the disk. Just stick the CD key in steam and install like a normal game.

Rudi Starnberg fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 23, 2013

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

R. Mute posted:

You're probably going to have to download a significant part of that on updates anyway.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Heeey let's talk about something besides generalizations related to people who are into history.

Like these poor Polish knights who put up one last valiant attempt to charge me.

They were reinforcements for a Polish stack, which I had completely annihilated as they just sort of slowly walked over to my army.

I felt like the picture looked pretty spooky and ominous what with the storm and the elephants off in the distance.

This was taken an instant before they routed.

They almost made it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm honestly hoping with Rome they fix the really spotty issues with co-op campaign play. For now just do it online and if you have issues share your save games and cross your fingers really.

ClemenSalad posted:

People are stupid.

Agreed. Lets settle this right here with that statement and move on.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Back to my original question: It's safe to say that the co-op play is better implemented and more likely to work in FOTS than Napoleon, right?