Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Without my puppy updates I am not happy enough to work. This is affecting production!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Without my puppy updates I am not happy enough to work. This is affecting production!

Time for a temporary boost in productivity!

Seriously though, what happened to Packet?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I still don't quite understand how a puppy ends up tied up and abandoned in a data center. Did I miss something?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Jeez.

Do the needful bothers me so much, i'd love to move for it to become a probatable phrase.

In other stupidity, I am currently playing a game of Hot Potato with internal IT. I am onboarding a new customer who has their own DNS servers and own internal zone. I am trying to get stub zones set up for this in our internal corporate DNS so the support folks can get to these servers.

I I just sent it to the 3rd team i've been asked to send it to, who just asked me to send it back to the first team.
I have rights on all these boxes, I'm just going to do it myself and get yelled at, I think.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

toe shoes posted:

One of our social media people just had their Twitter account hacked. For the second time in 3 months. If I find out that it was a phishing attack someone is going to need to lose their job.

Here, send them to this site: http://www.ismytwitterpasswordsecure.com/

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
About 30 tickets and an email came in:

Our development at the place I've worked at for 3-4 months now goes in cycles. 1-2 weeks of prep time(figuring out what needs done, who is doing what, etc), 1 month of development, 1 week for developers to test on a regular server, then 1-2 weeks for our testers to test.

One of the biggest changes for this cycle was assigned to a developer who as it turns out was looking for another job, and left at the very end of the development window. As far as everyone knew, he had finished his work with the exception of a few small things. I volunteered to take care of those since I was done with my stuff. I fix those, thinking everything is done because that is the impression I was given.

Over the testing cycle it came to light that he had actually done extremely little of the work before he left, and as the person who volunteered to fix the one thing we knew about, I got the privilege of all the bug reports for the stuff that was missing. I spend the next couple weeks scrambling to figure out what is even supposed to be happening and fixing it as quickly as I can given that I know nothing about the part of the application this is happening in. While also working on my own stuff.

Today I get an email from my boss, that I will paraphrase as: "It has come to my attention that over the past couple weeks you have been assigned nearly 30 logs that are supposed to be finished with all testing by the end of this week, and yet you have still been working just 40 hours a week. You should have been working (unpaid) overtime to get these done."

My silent response: gently caress you, maybe it is time to look for another job already if that is going to be the expectation, that I work ungodly hours to fit 1.5 months work into 2 weeks because some rear end in a top hat decided to silently leave work undone and leave. One of the team leads said the other day that this should have been pushed into the next cycle when it became obvious that almost none of the work was done.

The local university, which has the best benefits I've ever seen, has an open developer position that pays $10k more than I'm making working here...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

Today I get an email from my boss, that I will paraphrase as: "It has come to my attention that over the past couple weeks you have been assigned nearly 30 logs that are supposed to be finished with all testing by the end of this week, and yet you have still been working just 40 hours a week. You should have been working (unpaid) overtime to get these done."

My silent response: gently caress you, maybe it is time to look for another job already if that is going to be the expectation, that I work ungodly hours to fit 1.5 months work into 2 weeks because some rear end in a top hat decided to silently leave work undone and leave. One of the team leads said the other day that this should have been pushed into the next cycle when it became obvious that almost none of the work was done.

Were you communicating with him what was going on? His response would be really reasonable if he figured all the bugs were from code you were working on the entire time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

nitrogen posted:

Do the needful bothers me so much, i'd love to move for it to become a probatable phrase.

Any phrase can be abused, but it literally means "Please do what needs to be done (which I shall leave up to you to determine), (with thanks)."

What is wrong with it? Similar phrases exist in other languages as well.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

The local university, which has the best benefits I've ever seen, has an open developer position that pays $10k more than I'm making working here...

Regardless of the preceding story (but especially because of it), you should apply for this post-haste.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sonic Dude posted:

Regardless of the preceding story (but especially because of it), you should apply for this post-haste.

Normally I wouldn't just because it wouldn't look awesome on my resume to only be here for 4 months, but given that email...

As for whether I was keeping him in the loop: He is generally a very hands off manager, and doesn't even really pay any attention to the details of what we are doing. The team leads knew what was going on.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Khisanth Magus posted:

Normally I wouldn't just because it wouldn't look awesome on my resume to only be here for 4 months, but given that email...

As for whether I was keeping him in the loop: He is generally a very hands off manager, and doesn't even really pay any attention to the details of what we are doing. The team leads knew what was going on.

But the question is did the Team Lead give him the full skinny on what was going on? There's a big difference to "doing the work you were assigned" and "doing the work that nobody had any idea that wasn't done."

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Not a CV that popped into my in-box, but I figure this image was too good to leave stuck in "PYF Awkward, Ugly, and Gross"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

psydude posted:

Doesn't twitter have two factor authentication now?

It does? Huh, I should look into that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Kaspersky blocked this website because it's a "phishing website" :downs:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

ookiimarukochan posted:

Not a CV that popped into my in-box, but I figure this image was too good to leave stuck in "PYF Awkward, Ugly, and Gross"

Good god, that person would get an instant disqualification from any sane place. That is hardly a professional resume to be submitting for a job.

Not to mention ousting yourself as a Brony is PROBABLY not a good idea.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RadicalR posted:

Good god, that person would get an instant disqualification from any sane place. That is hardly a professional resume to be submitting for a job.

Not to mention ousting yourself as a Brony is PROBABLY not a good idea.

I suppose it's a sure way to ensure that the unemployment checks keep rolling in.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

My Work Email posted:

3. Relaxation of Tie rule:
The formal dress code including the tie rule was collectively decided toward our commitment to professionalism. Based on feedback from many of you there is a change in the dress code guidelines. Ties will have to be worn only one day a week, on Mondays. Everyone will share responsibility of abiding by the revised dress code.

...aaaand don't forget. Friday is Hawaiian shirt day!

:negative:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
What a fuckin' nightmare.

I would like for you to know that I wore flip flops and an Against Me! shirt to work on Tuesday.

I think I like my job too much to be in this thread.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

gently caress that. I work from home and I'm in my bath robe right now. And I'm more productive than any of my coworkers.

:colbert:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

You're being a bad communicator. It's reasonable that you didn't keep him in the loop before he sent that email, but he imposed himself upon the loop. Fill him in instead of silently mumbling to yourself about it. You deserve to be defended, and sometimes you have to do it yourself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My current dress code is t-shirt, blue jeans, and Bugs Bunny slippers. Telecommute 4 Lyfe.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I can choose between any slack clothes I want or go all the way up to full white doctor clothes + a loving labcoat.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
:yotj: I think

Following up on my last post, went to interview today and it went amazingly well. I feel like they had already intended on offering me the position before I even stepped in the door. It will be a much broader scale than where I am now, servicing local archdiocese schools and any archdiocese associated offices. Some driving, some remote, I'm praying it's more remote than anything. Miles comped, issued an iphone and a "mobile device" of my choosing (Macbook air, tablet, netbook), +25% pay increase. Since it's the archdiocese, it's stable and no shortage of money or budget.

I'm going to wait a week to give them an answer. It's probably a yes, but I will talk with my current boss regarding it as I like this job well enough, it's just an issue of money. Still having some anxiety over the idea of potentially telling my current employment I will be on my way out. After some drinks, boats, and beach time this weekend, I should be feeling better.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I got laid off my last gig, and I landed here after they offered me a 23% raise. On the surface it seemed like an awesome opportunity as they were putting together a team to do a multimillion dollar infrastructure overhaul with me as the team lead.

But then after they hired me, the gig fell through and now I've basically been adrift in this massive bureaucracy for months. Every day I feel a little bit more of my soul and free will die. </EN>

This is basically a paycheck until the wife and I can figure out our collective next move, so I guess I can put up with it for a few months, but holy poo poo. I realize that jeans and a T-shirt as the uniform of the day and working for a smaller, dynamic organization is an absolute requirement for my professional happiness.

My last gig had me goofing off with my friendstelecommuting on Fridays, wandering into the office and leaving whenever, taking two hour lunches to go for my long runs and busting my rear end to get my work done after hours when the kids went to sleep and the office was closed for the day.

My then-boss was a moron, but he left me alone and trusted me to get my work done. It was a pretty sweet situation in hindsight.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

How have I never found this thread before

I'll type up a long post about my current job when I have more time, but will leave you with this titbit

On my VERY FIRST day, one of the HR people handed in a USB stick they had borrowed. My boss started scanning it, only to collapse in laughter, and beckon everyone in the room over to take a look. It was full of naked photos of the HR person with their boyfriend :|.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Alctel posted:

How have I never found this thread before

I'll type up a long post about my current job when I have more time, but will leave you with this titbit

On my VERY FIRST day, one of the HR people handed in a USB stick they had borrowed. My boss started scanning it, only to collapse in laughter, and beckon everyone in the room over to take a look. It was full of naked photos of the HR person with their boyfriend :|.

Well now. Guess we know who's the top dog in THAT agency now. (Seriously, why would you do something like that!?)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress that. I work from home and I'm in my bath robe right now. And I'm more productive than any of my coworkers.

A true fact. I don't think I even wore a tie to my last job interview (which resulted in job). So long as the relevant naughty bits are covered who cares?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Alctel posted:

I hope you reported it to HR.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

so one of my parts guys uses a volvo partner network page (vppn.com) to order parts for some of the stuff we buy. Turns out that the page uses embedded SVG that looks for adobe SVG support...that ended in 2009.

He has a brand new windows 8 computer and it isn't showing him the graphics. I cannot imagine a more rear end backwards catalog of parts. Anyone have any ideas in how I could fix that?

I had a similar problem in our office. Our primary software uses SVG to display a lot of diagnostic information. Never could get it to work on my Win7 x64 install, but it did work from a XP Mode window.

Laptop broke and they switched me to a Win7 x32 machine, and it works beautifully now. So I think the key is that SVG viewer only works in a 32-bit environment.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I was bitching a couple of weeks ago about a new DB system our cops are getting. And the more and more I (and they) work with it we are finding out that it just seems to be a series of cobbled together ideas with a poo poo UI.

Our court clerk is an older lady and as such doesn't have the best vision. We've gotten around this in the past by lowering the resolution on the monitor. I hate the way it looks but she likes it so whatever. I get a phone call one day telling me she needs a bigger monitor. Why? One of the screens she needs to use in this application has a fixed vertical resolution of 768, she has her monitor set at 800x600 so she can see. If we switch it to 1024x768 she has trouble. Clearly the solution to this problem is to buy a bigger monitor so she can see her icons at 1024x768 and not to make the goddamn window re-sizable and add a scroll bar. We're just loving made of money over here.

I've been working on setting up remote access so the cops can use it in the field. Today I grabbed one of the laptops, connected it to a VPN I set up and tried to load the app. It won't launch. Here's his explanation.

"You cannot run over just a vpn.

To big. The program is not designed to have a local copy of the EXE’s and then get data over vpn.

Rather run from server, which is why you need RDP as it is running inside the LAN"

gently caress everything about this.

Edit: I think I want to get out of IT work.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 22, 2013

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
A ticket came in...

[JIRA] Created: (IT-1103) Be a Rockstar on Facebook

Now I have an excuse to hang around on facebook all day. :)

(This is actually an issue with our email-to-ticket configuration on the IT queue that I need to fix, but isn't high enough priority to actually care yet)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ookiimarukochan posted:

I hate people like this, this is why I get drunk and dress up as Dan from Dan vs. and yell at people at con's. It's funny because they think I am in character.

But for actual content, Why do people feel the need to over complicate network designs? I still have no idea of why people shove or reconfigure things making stuff way more complex than needed.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 22, 2013

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

But for actual content, Why do people feel the need to over complicate network designs? I still have no idea of why people shove or reconfigure things making stuff way more complex than needed.

A little knowledge can be a bad thing. I was once on a site that had six VLANs configured on their switch. For an office of ten people. Nevermind feeling the need to have a managed L3 48-port switch in the office in the first place. For I think it was fifteen devices or so. I think some consultant guy came in and spent some cash, gave them a mongo bill for services rendered and left.

They had vlans set up for:

1. Corporate Servers (three servers: 1 DC, 1 File server, 1 utility server)
2. Wireless (maybe a half-dozen laptops and a few BYOD)
3. Guest Wireless (maybe one guest per week)
4. Printers (one network printer)
5. Workstations (I think six or seven)
6. Development Environment (nothing)

I can see having a guest wireless vlan, but none of the vlans were segregated in any way. The switch had no ACLs configured so one IP address was as good as another.

I proposed using a single class C subnet and putting all static devices (all four of them. well, five including the router.) below .100 and making a DCHP range of .101-.200 to simplify things.

The response?

"No. This way is better so that when we grow we'll have the infrastructure in place."

Yes, but if you grow to a point when you have 70+ DHCP addresses in use and/or a hundred static devices, you will have outgrown this office space and will have had to move to a new building (with its ensuing network changes) anyways.

I don't even

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 22, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Making your network design simple is important if for no other reason than 95% of people are retarded and will break it within 30 seconds of touching it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

psydude posted:

Making your network design simple is important if for no other reason than 95% of people are retarded and will break it within 30 seconds of touching it.

And the last 5% will jack it up when it's 4am and they're so tired they can't think straight.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm slightly guilty of that, I help a company of about 12 out with their IT stuff now and again and they have 3 VLANs, but that's for IP cameras, phones, and everything else, so I'm going to claim that it's justified.

It's also written down exactly how it works.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Caged posted:

It's also written down exactly how it works.

Jokes on you, people don't read documentation! It's an unwritten law that when it exists, the user won't check or read it. When it doesn't exist, the new responsible party will curse the previous party and his children's children for a lack of documentation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Can I brag? Because, while sitting in my bathrobe, my boss called me up and offered me an additional $22k/year with only a minor shift in responsibility. The shift is good (less of the stuff I don't like, more of the stuff I'm good at), and I'll have a chance to delve into some new tech I'm not familiar with.

I took on several big projects in the last six months and now I'm getting rewarded for it.

Hell yeah!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Using multiple VLANs is fine if you actually plan on using control lists for logical separation. The problem is that people never do this, and so you wind up with a situation like where I work where there's dozens of VLANs because we use /24 blocks of addresses rather than dabbling in the black magic that is variable length subnet masks. Or, you know, larger block sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Khisanth Magus posted:

About 30 tickets and an email came in:

Our development at the place I've worked at for 3-4 months now goes in cycles. 1-2 weeks of prep time(figuring out what needs done, who is doing what, etc), 1 month of development, 1 week for developers to test on a regular server, then 1-2 weeks for our testers to test.

One of the biggest changes for this cycle was assigned to a developer who as it turns out was looking for another job, and left at the very end of the development window. As far as everyone knew, he had finished his work with the exception of a few small things. I volunteered to take care of those since I was done with my stuff. I fix those, thinking everything is done because that is the impression I was given.

Over the testing cycle it came to light that he had actually done extremely little of the work before he left, and as the person who volunteered to fix the one thing we knew about, I got the privilege of all the bug reports for the stuff that was missing. I spend the next couple weeks scrambling to figure out what is even supposed to be happening and fixing it as quickly as I can given that I know nothing about the part of the application this is happening in. While also working on my own stuff.

Push back and tell your boss that you won't do the work of two people unless he feels like paying you to do the work of two people. Tell him that if he disagrees, it might be best to set up an action plan with HR.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I would like to point out that there has not been any update or resolution on the puppy in the data center issue. This is unacceptable. If this were PI there would be many people expressing concern about Puppy Explosion Syndrome. Please do the needful.

I am also waiting for an update here.

• Locked thread