Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bring back the Magic tournaments, but only if they put this guy front and center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYuF3T7s7XY

And then afterwards, we can have a panel segment with Skip and Stephen A. debating if Francis is an "elite" player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Season needs to start so these guys are back on tv (minus shaq) :swoon:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://web.archive.org/web/20081221144629/http://www.thephatphree.com/features.asp?StoryID=3725&SectionID=15

There was a really good piece written up by a site that used to feature Mike Polk (factory of sadness guy), about the problems that ESPN was facing.

Keep in mind this was 2007..when this was made. Here some important tidbits in case the link fails. I wouldn't recommend googling this stuff, as the site is now apparently filled with malware.

This is mainly stuff from pt. 4, and I think the writer

quote:

What it (ESPN) should be: Early morning SC replays are fine. The afternoon schedule should be blown up. Three and a half hours of commentary shows is way too much. There is no reason we should be subjected to a televised radio show (Mike and Mike), Jim Rome's juvenile ranting, or anything featuring Skip Bayless (1st and 10). If you lose those three shows and cut one of the morning SC replays, you could show an unedited replay of the prior evening's primetime event starting at 1:30PM (I know I am still short a half hour, but we'll make that up in a second). This would be particularly good when games run late like the NBA Western Conference games and West Coast MLB games always do. Cut the 6PM SportsCenter back to 60-minutes and start it at 6:30. You can cut the human interest story and one worthless segment of analysis just like you do for the late night SCs. Then you have the evening's live event, the 90-minute 10PM SC, and the seasonal sport recap show(s). The back-to-back late-night SCs are also fine, but there is no reason to edit the replay of the game at 3AM. What time constraints do you have exactly? Is there some reason it is necessary to show five SC replays instead of four? Show the whole game at 3AM.

What it (ESPN2) should be: ESPN2 should become ESPN West. Shift everything to PST, and produce West Coast versions of all the good commentary shows--Around the Horn West, PTI West, NFL Live West, etc. Then show a West Coast event in primetime. The pre-recorded SportsCenter segments could be shared, but the coverage should be West Coast biased.

I know the fans out West would love it if the 6PM SportsCenter was actually on at 6PM instead of 3PM when they are stuck in their goddamn cubicles. Not to mention that not hearing about the Yankees and Red Sox every day would be a welcome relief. East Coast ex-pats like me would still be able to watch ESPN, and most die-hard fans would watch a lot of both (thank you TiVo).

I know ESPN tried to do this in the late '90s, but lost some key broadcast contracts to Fox Sports and had some trouble getting cable carriers to commit to the channel. Now that ESPN2 is almost ubiquitous on cable and satellite (since both are desperate for HD channels) and the 10-year contracts negotiated by Fox in '98 are expiring, it's time to make this happen.

What it should be: 24-hours of unedited, classic games put into context with a breif introduction and followed by any interesting post game interviews and a wrap up of the impact of the game.

There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to flip on ESPN Classic at any time and see a great game. Old NCAA tourney games, NBA playoff games, great NFL games, old NFL films specials, classic MLB playoffs, etc. Show old NASCAR races during the day (NASCAR fans don't have jobs anyway), and second tier sports like Tennis, Golf, and Boxing at night.

You've got 50 years of sports to choose from. You can promote the great games your scheduling on ESPN and ESPN West, and if you choose the games wisely, they should tie into what's going on right now. In the wake of the Suns-Spurs suspensions, why not run the Heat-Knicks playoff fight from '98? After hearing people talk about it for the last two days, I know I'd like to see Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning flail at each other again.

ESPN Classic should be the most fun channel to program, but somehow it's like a bastard child in Bristol. If they had no intention of running properly, why did they buy it?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All remaining tapes of any Heat/Knicks game from the mid to late 90s should be destroyed for the good of all mankind.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

One of my best friends was a Magic pro back when it was on ESPN2. The one time I asked him about it, he told me a story of how a notable player was going to be on TV the next day for the Top 8 or what have you, so the night before he basically got shanghaied from his hotel room and forced to cut his hair and shave his giant neckbeard in a women's restroom so they could show him on TV.

So what I'm saying is we definitely need more Magic on ESPN2.

That definitely happened. It was Zvi Mowshowitz. He was also locked in an NYC gaming store overnight on Christmas Eve one year because he was sorting cords off in a back corner somewhere when they closed for the night.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mob posted:

That definitely happened. It was Zvi Mowshowitz. He was also locked in an NYC gaming store overnight on Christmas Eve one year because he was sorting cords off in a back corner somewhere when they closed for the night.

This is like peak goonery

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Carwash oval office posted:

Putt Putt Golf and the National Putters Association did make it it to ESPN in 2000, but this is all I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yUwsskwZA

Mini-golf should be great 3 AM programming, but how dare do they have a championship without a windmill or a tire loop?

This is kind of bizzare to see, I've played at that mini-golf course when my dad was stationed at Augusta.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

With the proliferation of youtube and such I don't think a classic sports network can work anymore. It didn't help that a while back ESPN successfully offered to make ESPNU more available to subscribers at ESPN Classic's expense.

Also, to put in perspective how Sportscenter operates in comparison to Fox Sports 1's show, here's a rundown of what was covered on each show last night in order:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/08/22/Media/FS1-ESPN.aspx

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This might be the start of Cable Armageddon... ESPN preparing to sell streaming rights to their channels for people without a cable subscription:

quote:

ESPN is reportedly considering making all of their channels available on an Internet TV service for a fee, according to The Verge. The online provider would pay for all of the channels under the ESPN umbrella as well as for access to Watch ESPN at a comparable rate to what cable companies like Comcast and Time Warner pay. ESPN is talking to Sony, Apple, Intel, and Google about the package.

This is the domino that's been waiting to fall for years now and the fallout from the cable providers is going to be spectacular.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

This might be the start of Cable Armageddon... ESPN preparing to sell streaming rights to WatchESPN for people without a cable subscription:

This is the domino that's been waiting to fall for years now and the fallout from the cable providers is going to be spectacular.
Can't the cable providers just cap us at 200GB/mo or something similarly ridiculous?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

With the proliferation of youtube and such I don't think a classic sports network can work anymore. It didn't help that a while back ESPN successfully offered to make ESPNU more available to subscribers at ESPN Classic's expense.

Also, to put in perspective how Sportscenter operates in comparison to Fox Sports 1's show, here's a rundown of what was covered on each show last night in order:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/08/22/Media/FS1-ESPN.aspx

It'd really help if the NFL, NCAA (I know, lawsuits), MLB wouldn't be so stingy sometimes about uploading games. (Formula 1 too, though I don't think anyone in this thread gives a poo poo about that)

Look, if you're not going to air them anywhere, and it's not for profit, why bother blocking them?

I mean, if you made say, the "1986 Cleveland Browns" season available for purchase, it's not like I'd be all that hesitant to buy those up. But it's not up for purchase, and god forbid HermanFontenotfan28 uploads them, why should you complain about it?

Furthermore, you should be tracking these people down, and thanking them. A lot of the footage of old games have been deleted/lost, and it'd sure as hell be good to have a couple of amateur Steve Sabol's on hand with the tapes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Can't the cable providers just cap us at 200GB/mo or something similarly ridiculous?
Most already do, actually. Xfinity's cap is 250GB here.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Or they could block or throttle traffic, net neutrality is far from settled

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

One of my best friends was a Magic pro back when it was on ESPN2. The one time I asked him about it, he told me a story of how a notable player was going to be on TV the next day for the Top 8 or what have you, so the night before he basically got shanghaied from his hotel room and forced to cut his hair and shave his giant neckbeard in a women's restroom so they could show him on TV.

So what I'm saying is we definitely need more Magic on ESPN2.

It's forever immortalized in this article:

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/print.php?Article=20529

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rest assured anything they can possibly do to curb this, they will do.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Even for First Take, this is ridiculous:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stop watching First Take you loving moron.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MourningView posted:

Stop watching First Take you loving moron.
That's what ESPN2 put up during a rain delay in tennis :colbert:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So change the channel. Everyone already knows that first take is stupid. It is designed to be intentionally stupid. You are not breaking new ground.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Speaking of breaking ground, ESPN released this video of what their new Sportscenter set is going to look like. It's big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MVidglMLk

And for those racing people who complained about the end of Speed, this is for you

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/august/speed-fans-are-angry-about-fox-sports-1.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The exact moment I knew to never watch ESPN again (save for live sporting events) was when they literally aired a "First Take Special Edition" in prime time, to discuss...Tim Tebow.

gently caress Disney.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

Speaking of breaking ground, ESPN released this video of what their new Sportscenter set is going to look like. It's big

This seems ridiculously silly to me. I have never chosen to watch a sports program based on how much money they spend on their set. Heck, I'm fine with that cramped area they used for ESPN Goal Line. Is bigger really better for a sports highlight/analysis show?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

And for those racing people who complained about the end of Speed, this is for you

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/august/speed-fans-are-angry-about-fox-sports-1.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
And to think, they literally laid off Howie Schwab and others to fund this.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I was more than willing to give FS1 a shot, until they got to a Regis Philbin hosted talk show where they just brought up relegating the bottom three MLB teams and promoting the top three AAA.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Apparently Fox Sports 2 is going to be airing Aussie football after all.

quote:

@fangsbites 11m Aussie Footy fans, Adelaide Crows vs. Melbourne Demons. Fox Sports 2. Friday night. 11:30 p.m. ET. Be there.

You snooze you lose ESPN :smug:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I checked the listings and they also have an Aussie game 2:30 Sunday morning. But from the sound of things, they are both meaningless late season games.

Also, there's a couple of NRL Rugby games on that channel, if that means anything.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
This is the best news that could ever be posted in this thread.

He's coming back his 65th season.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ishin posted:

I was more than willing to give FS1 a shot, until they got to a Regis Philbin hosted talk show where they just brought up relegating the bottom three MLB teams and promoting the top three AAA.

That would be awesome though.

Yes, I know logistically it makes no sense and is impossible. I don't care.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Ishin posted:

Uh that owns and would stop bullshit like the Pirates a few years ago throwing games.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

MaoistBanker posted:

This is the best news that could ever be posted in this thread.

He's coming back his 65th season.

I don't care that he's lost a step or two over the years, the man is basically the embodiment of a baseball radio broadcast.

Also, I miss Ron Santo. He was 70, but had the blind enthusiasm for his team that rivaled that of a 7 year old.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

Also, I miss Ron Santo. He was 70, but had the blind enthusiasm for his team that rivaled that of a 7 year old.
So does Hawk Harrelson. This does not a good broadcaster make.

Not that Santo wasn't good from time to time. And his Brant Brown call was infinitely more entertaining than any petulant silences from the Hawk.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Uh that owns and would stop bullshit like the Pirates a few years ago throwing games.

Pro/rel is completely unfeasible for North American sports and talking about it as a serious solution is a waste of time

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

e- Am I the only one that feels like for all the love FOX gave FS1, they seemed to do an equally bad job of promoting FS2? It seems like some people forget it was also launched.

I like AA, but that article got under my skin. "Let's pull all the comments from pissed off rednecks about how their channel was turned into FOX's ESPN and tell them 'but you got several hours of air time on its first day, so shut up'".

I can do without the racing studio shows and even stuff like Truck Series practice, and the scripted reality that infected Speed toward the end like R U Faster Than A Redneck was horrific, but when there's an unusual race on one of the most popular tracks on the circuit on a Wednesday (Whelen Modified Series at Bristol), pre-empt your football talk show so we can get our fix without having to pay $9 extra a month for one channel. Then, when the Truck race ends surprisingly early and you have an hour to fill, don't show the same football show over again. Air the Modified race, which I guess only lasted 1:20.

If nothing else, air it at 3am, because there's no sense whatsoever to have 14 hours straight of FOX Sports Live (this happened).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 23, 2013

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

ElwoodCuse posted:

Pro/rel is completely unfeasible for North American sports and talking about it as a serious solution is a waste of time

That's what they said about black players in baseball. :colbert:

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
I've always imagined American promotion-relegation being done on a regional basis--say have your top two divisions split along East-West lines, promote the 2nd Division East/West winners and relegate the bottom of 1st Division East/West. Maybe even extend it another division or two and split it into four regions, with E1 and E2 winners playing to move up. Only way it could work IMO.

AceFace905 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 23, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gonna requote this, for this.

Josh Lyman posted:

Even for First Take, this is ridiculous:

http://deadspin.com/how-espn-manufactures-a-story-colin-kaepernick-edition-1185400028

How ESPN makes it sausage.

God, gently caress Disney.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is this the thread where I angrily denounce the pile of poo poo that is FOX SPORTS 1??

Because it's bad. REAL bad.

I was sooooooo looking forward to an alternative to ESPN. I mean, you couldn't possibly do worse even if you tried. Right? RIGHT???

Nope. They did it. It's like some sort of experiment to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Just where is the bottom of the pit that is terrible sports news programming? FOX SPORTS 1 won't rest until they find.

Their 5pm EST show with Regis and some annoying British lady and a couple of nerds seriously makes Skip Prosser and first take look like the Walter Cronkite CBS News of Sports. It's that bad.

FOX SPORTS 1 is so godawful and such a letdown. NFL Network is fantastic, but it's only NFL. I'm still stuck with the festering pile of dog poo poo that is ESPN for everything else, because the geniuses behind FOX SPORTS 1 have somehow managed to lower the bar.

To be fair, there is one show that I have seen that was OK - the 6pm football show. Everything else is atrocious.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Skip Prosser on First Take would be a notable improvement

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Am I the only one that feels like for all the love FOX gave FS1, they seemed to do an equally bad job of promoting FS2? It seems like some people forget it was also launched.

I think this was somewhat intentional. They wanted all of the focus on FS1 to make sure it drew an audience the first week. This was the network they were making promises to advertisers on and were trying to get big bucks from cable companies for (and failed on that one...) They didn't want to create brand confusion and do much with FS2 off the bat. I think they'll do more to hype it up in a couple months, maybe in conjunction with the next FS2 exclusive UFC event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Stealing from the journalism thread, but in news that should surprise nobody the New York Times is reporting that ESPN cancelled its partnership with Frontline on the concussion documentary because the NFL basically went "That's a nice TV deal you got there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it."