Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Hey kids, you like Wario? You'll love this LP then.

Who's Wario?

Wario is a character designed by Hiroji Kiyotake, the original character designer for Samus Aran. Wario was originally made for Mario Land 2, serving as the main villain and final boss of the game. After Mario Land 2, Wario gained a lot of popularity. Thus, he promptly was cast as a villain again in Mario and Wario. After Mario & Wario Nintendo released the last installment in the Mario Land series; Wario Land. Wario Land was successful enough to end up spawning a popular franchise that's still loved to this day.

Now as for Wario himself, as a character he is simple, he's lazy, he's greedy, he's kind of a jerk and he loves garlic, that's about as much depth he has and will ever have.

So who are you four jerks and what's your plan?
We're FutureFriend and Holidae (and from Mario & Wario onwards KillerEmcee and a_raving_loon) and we plan to LP every game with Wario in the title.

Now for some of the side-games we think are a bit too boring to fully play through, we'll do one video of them, just to show them off and so you can get a idea how to play them.

We intend to be as fully comprehensive as possible in our LP and gather every optional thing, but because of the way some of the games in the series work we will not show off everything if we can't.

So, without further ado, let's play some Wario.

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

:siren:Click on title of game for a link to the videos of the respective game:siren:

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 15, 2013

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

kalonZombie has found out Wario's one wish.

ElTipejoLoco shows us what Waluigi's formative years were like.

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 31, 2013

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?
Greed is good.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
This was one of, if not THE prime gameboy game of my youth, and the first game to spoil me for secrets and multiple endings. I honed my skills upon it and, despite being, like, eight years old, got pretty dang good at it! I managed to find all the treasures and collect enough coin for the ~special~ ending, even.

It's really an excellent game, and I'll be following along on your Let's Play of it with interest, not least of all because it's the only Wario game I ever got around to playing!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I remember having this game on my big blue brick Game Boy. I used the cheat to get the super-special ending, which I think is very much in the spirit of Wario's character.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I played this game in some hacked Chinese cartridge that held a crap load of games...which had the unfortunate draw back of making you UNABLE TO SAVE. Looking forward to seeing levels beyond the first couple.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Waaaa!

Here's hoping you get farther than the last Wario series thread, I love these games.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I remember playing this game in an Arizona hotel room while our little Italian sportscar we were touring the country in was in the shop. I probably still have the game and the Game Boy I played it on.

Also the ceiling stick move with the Viking helmet is awesome and I will brook no argument on this matter. :colbert:

...I will admit it is not entirely useful, however.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wario Land is amazing and only bested by the second and third games. Can't wait till you get to those.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
Someone keep a running tally of how much jail time me and FutureFriend are getting for being accomplices in Wario's crime spree.

I hope you guys are ready to hear my audio quality constantly change because every mic I own keeps breaking within a week of me owning it.

Holidae fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 22, 2013

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I had a Gameboy Color as a kid but not a console. The second Wario Land game has more nostalgia for me than any of the Mario games. They're drat good games in their own right, too, I still play Wario Land 2 and 3 on occasion.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:allears: Anyone know how to replace the battery that holds the saves? only thing keeping my from plugging in my wario cartridge in my GBA and hammering out some sweet sweet garlic induced lucre.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've only played 2 Wario games, Wario Land 3 on the GBC(got stuck as that game is confusing at times), and Wario World on the GameCube(100%, really fun game). Can't wait to see you get there. :3:

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Overflight posted:

I played this game in some hacked Chinese cartridge that held a crap load of games...which had the unfortunate draw back of making you UNABLE TO SAVE. Looking forward to seeing levels beyond the first couple.

Same here. I had a 81-in-1 cart (that was actually 21-in-1) that didn't have a save battery. I still beat it once on a long bus ride though.

Anyway, nice to see a wario games thread, all of the gameboy games are amazing.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Oh man, I love Wario stuff. This will be good :allears:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I have very fond memories of wario land II since it had about what 10 different paths to an ending?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The original 3 Wario Land games are the best portable games ever, especially the third. I will hear nothing to the contrary. :colbert:

It's a shame it went all downhill from there.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Eagerly awaiting the best Wario game: Wario Blast (Featuring Bomberman)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oh man, I remember playing this on my old purple gameboy color. Good times. Can't wait to nostalgia it up when you get to that furnace place that took me forever to beat because of THAT ONE LEVEL.

AtomikKrab posted:

:allears: Anyone know how to replace the battery that holds the saves? only thing keeping my from plugging in my wario cartridge in my GBA and hammering out some sweet sweet garlic induced lucre.

Only try this if you know your way around a soldering iron, because you could gently caress it up beyond repair if you don't.
Basically you make a little cut in the label to get the screw out. (Buy a gamebit of appropriate size or melt a pen's tip and press that in there to create your own makeshift one.)
Unsolder the old battery and solder in a replacement of the same voltage. It can be bigger, as long as it'll fit in there. Make sure the legs of the replacement line up with the old one's.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You know you can move around during the bomb-throwing minigame, and that you don't have to hit the first enemy that appears, right? That's why you have a timer. You may also be able to hold the button down so that you can delay your throw until releasing it, but I can't say for certain.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

C-Euro posted:

You know you can move around during the bomb-throwing minigame, and that you don't have to hit the first enemy that appears, right? That's why you have a timer. You may also be able to hold the button down so that you can delay your throw until releasing it, but I can't say for certain.

Literally 15 years of owning this game and I never knew I could actually do that. I'm kind of a idiot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hey cool, Wario. I was never any good at these games, mostly because they look like a mario, but they don't play like a mario. Totally always threw me off. I think I have a problem....

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

The original 3 Wario Land games are the best portable games ever, especially the third. I will hear nothing to the contrary. :colbert:

It's a shame it went all downhill from there.

4, Master of Disguise, and Shake It! are all good games. :colbert: Plus you have the always good Wario Ware series.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

I am quite excited for this, especially for the Wario Land series. In fact, my first Mario Land game was Wario Land. Looking forward to future parts of the game. The fedora/Friend Zone bit had me in stitches.

Also looking forward to when you guys get up to Wario World, because that game is seriously underrated and just does not get much love at all. :colbert:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
No joke, Wario Land is my favorite Game Boy game ever so I'll be following the gently caress out of this thread just for the simple fact that you opened with it.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I never played past the third, but I'll be paying attention to this thread anyhow. The first Wario Land was by far the best in my opinion...but then, that's probably my inner child reminding myself that I spent a fuckload of hours playing through it, getting every treasure/secret, and unlocking the endings...and it was still fun to pick up and do all over again.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Are the Warioware games included?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Are the Warioware games included?

Yeah, I'm planning to do the WarioWare games but I'm probably not really going to do them straight for the most part. I'll talk more about that later when I'm getting even somewhat close to those games.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I've played the fir$t Wario game, the GBA one, the Gamecube one and the Wario ware game$. Enjoyed every one of them! Looking forward to $eeing you tackle the franchi$e!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I know it's not a Wario game, but could you do maybe a short video of the last level and boss fight of Super Mario Land 2? It was Wario's video game debut after all. It all started there.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

AtomikKrab posted:

All the Wario Land games are on the 3DS Virtual store for download, so do it, do it now.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Laputanmachine posted:

I know it's not a Wario game, but could you do maybe a short video of the last level and boss fight of Super Mario Land 2? It was Wario's video game debut after all. It all started there.

I'll be a bit busy with stuff but I'll do this as a bonus video sometimes soon. It's been years since I played it, though and I think even as a kid I never beat it or came close to the final level.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Super Mario Land 2 is ridiculously easy besides the final level. Also, hitting select at the file screen turns on easy mode, which makes things a little less painful.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, glad to see this. 2, 3, and 4 are definitely some weird inventive platforming games and I loved 'em. Although I will say 3 could get a little obtuse at times.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Wario Land is one of the few games where I ever cared about 100% completion. Dunno, I just played the poo poo out of it as a kid, and still find it to be a really good game. The visual design has a cool style to it, and most of the levels are interesting in one way or the other. Also everyone should love greedy Wario, he's cool.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Since Laputanmachine asked for it, I did a quick bonus video on my own showing off the final level of Super Mario Land 2 and Wario's first appearance:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
...Was Wario flipping Mario the bird when shooting fireballs?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Aw man, I got an inordinate amount of nostalgia from watching that. Wario Land 3 will be an outright nostalgia bomb for me if we finally get there (and it's a really good game in general, too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
While I'm thinking about it, here's Wario in the SMBL2 commercial. For such an old character his look has changed a minimal amount outside of the Wario Ware biker outfit. I'm glad they ditched the higher-pitched voice and added more "WAAA!"s to his vocabulary.

• Locked thread