Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Cirosan posted:

Anything I should be aware of for Shadowrun Returns? I'm a total neophyte to the franchise who only has the Kickstarter page info and 20-ish pages of the primer to go on.

Keep calm, watch your accuracy, and never, ever deal with a dragon.

On a serious note: If it's your first time playing, use one of the pre-sets at the bottom of character creation to get a feel for the character, and build up on what they have. The way characters are made allows for a lot of flexibility, so find what you want to try in the first few levels, then hunker down on those skills to become novahot on what you want. You can always hire up a runner to fill in gaps (I often hired a mage with heal magic to compliment my assault-rifle decker).

Make sure to do every sidequest before you leave an area, as the main story is somewhat railroaded and you can't go back to do other stuff once it's passed. Talk to everyone, inspect everything.

Make sure to keep some cash on hand to hire a runner in case something comes up. That new assault rifle might be sheen, but hiring an extra Street Samurai to help on a run can make the difference between a breeze and a nightmare.

If you're playing a magic user, don't get cyberware. You have a stat called 'essence' that dictates quite a few other stats, like magic resistance and the like, that goes down when cyberware is installed. For characters that don't rely on magic (hacking Deckers, drone-control Riggers, etc.) can be good with a couple of pieces, but as a magic user it will tank your effectiveness.

Races have stat caps, so find out what they are and plan your character around them.

Healing spells only heal the last amount of damage received. So if someone takes 15 damage, then 3 damage, it will only heal 3 damage. Keep medkits handy.

USE COVER! Use Cover whenever possible as it helps your aim and reduces your chances of being hit.

Overwatch is worth it. It uses 1AP, so use it at the end of a round. But if any enemies move into your range, you get a free hit and they lose an action.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Any advice for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (other than cutitcutitcutitcutitcutit)? I'm only a little ways in but it feels like something hasn't quite "clicked" with me yet.

As everyone else said here, take the time to learn the basics. Head to the V.R. missions and learn how to parry, lock-on, sidestep slash and slide attack. These four moves are incredibly versatile and can make the difference in large fights.

Parry: Practice until you got it, and remember that each difficulty has a different 'window of opportunity' for perfect parrying. if it doesn't glow orange, it can be parried. This even means Geckos, GRADs and other large enemies. A perfect parry will either stun your opponent, break off their armor or (in most cases) set you up for a Zandatsu.

Lock-on: Though not essential (I didn't know it existed until my second play through), lock-on helps out immensely against bosses and larger enemies.

Slide attack: Ninja Run, then fast attack button creates a slide attack that has a follow-up. The best part of this, though, is going into blade mode while in slide. You can get an easy Zandatsu on weaker enemies using it, giving you a chance for some healing when the chips are down. It also serves as the fastest method of clearing out weaker enemies, which becomes essential for time runs.

Blade Mode: Learn it. Love it. It's freaking great, and becomes vital to exploiting weaknesses later on.

Some learned techniques you should get:

Sidestep Slash: with lock-on, this will be your go-to attack to dodge those orange attacks. In close enough you can get behind enemies, allowing for a quick combo to take them out. Very helpful.

Lightning Kick: Flying enemies suck. Using the anti-air weapon is a pain. This makes both problems much less aggravating.

Get the collectibles. They have very useful bonuses that you earn for collecting certain amounts, including new weapons and accessories.

Lastly, get the soundtrack. Because RULES OF NATURE!

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Does anyone have any good tips for Final Fantasy Tactics A2, or Dragon Quest IX? Im a couple of hours into both, still in the tutorial part really.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kruller posted:

Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion

The standard SoaSe game tips should work out, since Rebellions feels like a standalone expansion pack.

Focus on getting and building trade ports early game to ensure a strong cash flow.
Build two scout ships/set them to autoexplore at start of game. Build a few more scout ships every 10mins or so to keep a eye on enemy progress.
Don't get caught up in a bidding war on Pirate raids. The money you spend on pirate raids is generally better spent elsewhere (fleet capacity upgrades).
Use the games time-speedup/slowdown feature for huge game maps.
Each racial faction has a different tech path & requirements to unlock LRM frigates, siege frigates, point defense frigates, etc. Don't go random race at game start unless you know the tech path requirements or enjoy learning on the fly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

Healing spells only heal the last amount of damage received. So if someone takes 15 damage, then 3 damage, it will only heal 3 damage. Keep medkits handy.

In case you have trouble keeping track of this on the fly, the game actually tracks this information for you: mouse over a character who has recently taken damage and you'll see a debuff that says "Wounded: X". The "x" is the amount of damage they took in their most recent attack, and how much health you'll get back if you heal them (it took me a while to put two and two together here).

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Brasseye posted:

Does anyone have any good tips for Final Fantasy Tactics A2
How to brutally shatter FFTA2:

About five or six of the plot missions into the game, the Auction Houses will open up. These consist of a funky bidding minigame with various coins (and you can purchase more with the CP you've been getting from missions). You also get extra coins as bonuses for using enough coins in auctions, making later auctions slightly easier to win.

At first, the auctions are for territory, with each house being responsible for three or four areas. However, if you win all of the territories in one house, you are declared champions for life. At this point, future auctions are no longer for territory, but for items. The trick here is that the items in the auctions are literally the best equipment in the game. End- and post- game equipment can be farmed easily from the auctions (and there is another extra prize if you win all the auctions in one house). The auctions are held once a year, so what you can do is get to the auctions, win all of them, rest at the hut in the mountains or the witch's place until the next auction comes around, win them all again, etc. You can then outfit everyone with the best gear and learn some incredibly powerful and difficult to acquire abilities.

Some other notes: The two new races (if you played FFTA) are interesting. Seeq can be picked up pretty early, though most of their options are pretty terrible, but they do have one incredibly useful combo - Mirror Item, which reverses the effects of items, making potions deal damage instead of healing, and Item Lore - just have them spam X-Potions on enemies and laugh. Gria, the other race, are insanely good, but also can't be recruited until around halfway through the game, which is infuriating. They're stupid fast, they fly, and they hit like monster trucks, especially Ravagers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Aratoeldar posted:

For the game Torchlight, I have downloaded the mod that automatically identifies all of the equipment. However there is no readme-instructions on how to install the mod. How do I install the mod?

I actually just did this the other day, go to your Torchlight folder and find the shortcut for "Application Data". Open that, then find the "runic games" folder and open it. Open the "Torchlight" folder and there should be a Mods folder in there. Just drag the contents of that mod into that folder.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

What should I know before I play Corpse Party for the PSP?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

What should I know before I play Corpse Party for the PSP?

Keep backup saves for when you inevitably miss something and end up getting bad ends.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

theshim posted:

How to brutally shatter FFTA2:

This is perfect, thanks a lot!

from what I've read it seems dragon quest ix is a lot more forgiving than FFTA2 and you can basically play it however you like.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'd neglected the thread right up until the end boss of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance started a big ol' speech, and it turns out I knew less than 50% of the tips posted. I am bad at videogame :smith:

A couple things I learned on my first run that weren't mentioned:
  • There are Desperado terminals and items (and at least one time, an enemy hiding in a box) hidden all over the place that don't show up in AR Mode. Usually, if you look at an area and think "it looks like Raiden can get up/over there," there's treasure to be had. Don't just rely on AR Mode to show you where all the loot is. The stages are pretty small--take your time and look around. Pay special attention to suspicious-looking cuttable crates, especially when they're up against walls.

• As with most of the other Metal Gear games, talk to everyone, all the time, especially after important events happen.

• Picking up an item when you are already at max capacity for it will give you some BP.

• If you're playing the game just for the story, don't be afraid to play in Easy/Auto mode. With some notable exceptions (MONSOOOOOOOON!), you can just mash the attack buttons and the bad guys will all get cut up.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Brasseye posted:

This is perfect, thanks a lot!

from what I've read it seems dragon quest ix is a lot more forgiving than FFTA2 and you can basically play it however you like.

That would be difficult. The non-optional content of FFTA2 is super easy even if you never do the auctions early, exploit any of a dozen amazingly broken combinations (zero-cost 2-radius AoE heal with mass resurrect is on the low end), or stat optimize your characters. You can easily just pound through with standard characters using haphazard ability loadouts and be fine through all the story stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you're playing the game just for the story, don't be afraid to play in Easy/Auto mode. With some notable exceptions (MONSOOOOOOOON!), you can just mash the attack buttons and the bad guys will all get cut up.

This is how I played it my first time through, and while it presented absolutely no challenge at any point whatsoever, it was still a hell of a lot of fun. I recommend trying it at some point, it's a good stress reliever.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Shin Megami Tensei 4 - do I need to play obsessively with a guide to get everything like the Persona games or can I do my own thing without missing content?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 4 - do I need to play obsessively with a guide to get everything like the Persona games or can I do my own thing without missing content?

You're going to have to play through the game 3 times if you want to 100% the game so a guide might be useful for some of the challenge quests.

If you're just going to play normally then no you don't need a guide.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Just got Remember Me from GameFly and there is nothing on the wiki. I'm mostly interested in knowing about crappy skills/abilities I should avoid and missable collectables/achievements. What should I know?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Anything for Paper Mario (N64)? I'm not looking to make the game easier but anything to make it as enjoyable as possible would be nice.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

owl_pellet posted:

Just got Remember Me from GameFly and there is nothing on the wiki. I'm mostly interested in knowing about crappy skills/abilities I should avoid and missable collectables/achievements. What should I know?

Combos are completely static, as you'll find out. Really the combat in general is super clunky. It's basically the freeflow combat from Batman with none of the freedom.

When you do memory remixes, there's usually some incorrect way to do it that will net an achievement. Chances are you'll stumble across it before you find the actual solution.

Make liberal use of your special abilities, especially when droids are involved. Some of the enemies are super bullshit. There's one that you literally can't hit without taking damage.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yip Yips posted:

Anything for Paper Mario (N64)? I'm not looking to make the game easier but anything to make it as enjoyable as possible would be nice.

Use Goombario's ability on everyone, he has funny things to say.

There's a character in town called Chet Rippo who will boost one attribute by 2 but decrease the other two attributes by one. This might sound like a bad deal but use this to upgrade your BP early which is the most important stat in the game.

In one of the Koopa houses is a radio. If you switch the channel a few times you can play a sidequest that's easily missed. Also Koopa Koot's sidequests seem pointless but they do payoff.

Unlike most JRPGs status effects are really good. Any ability that gives you dizzy or paralyze is super powerful.

Upgrading your partners is up to you but get to know their quirks. Lady Bow has the highest raw damage potential fully upgraded but each individual attack only deals 1 damage so she's useless against enemies with protection. Sushie is kind of weak starting out but fully upgraded she has the highest damage attack-all ability.

Talk to major characters after each chapter chiefly Luigi, the postal worker, the fortune teller, and the notice board. There's a lot of new events and unique dialog that pops up every chapter.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Yip Yips posted:

It's pretty easy as-is. But:

- Bomb attacks and a later helper's regular attacks ignore defense (you pretty much need this to beat rock monsters).

- Power Bounce is really broken if you can get the timing down and charge up Mario's attack power for a few rounds with the Charge badge.

- Don't waste all your Badge Points on HP/FP-Up badges.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 21, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I bought Saint's Row 4 and have a tip:

Early in the game, after you fully unveil "The Simulation," and the game opens up, your homies will start to give you optional missions that you can start from your "quests" tab on the hud. The second (I think) set of missions that Keith David gives you rewards you with Infinite Stamina, so it's worth beelining his missions to that point if you're into that.

This is a great thing to have, because your Super Sprint costs stamina to use, and infinite stamina pretty much makes it so that you never need a car. It's also good to know ahead of time, because if you know that you're going to get it, you won't waste any money or upgrade points on improving your stamina, like I did :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpazmasterX posted:

There's one that you literally can't hit without taking damage.

Regen Pressens are the only thing that work on them without hurting you, but that first combo-starting neutral strike will still cause you damage.

owl_pellet posted:

There's not much that isn't readily obvious. Just know that the game goes downhill in quality as it progresses and if you enjoy that first Memory Remix, the rest don't turn up until the last quarter of the game. Also hits take a second or two to complete, so don't buttonmash your way through a combo. And abuse your S-Pressens. They recharge pretty fast (and faster still with the right Pressen strikes in the right place in a combo), so there's no reason not to.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I bought Saint's Row 4 and have a tip:

Early in the game, after you fully unveil "The Simulation," and the game opens up, your homies will start to give you optional missions that you can start from your "quests" tab on the hud. The second (I think) set of missions that Keith David gives you rewards you with Infinite Stamina, so it's worth beelining his missions to that point if you're into that.

This is a great thing to have, because your Super Sprint costs stamina to use, and infinite stamina pretty much makes it so that you never need a car. It's also good to know ahead of time, because if you know that you're going to get it, you won't waste any money or upgrade points on improving your stamina, like I did :(

Well, it's not a complete loss. Gliding takes Stamina, too. Until you get the upgrade that makes it not cost Stamina anymore.

Dammit. I just wasted a lot of cache, didn't I?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Any tips for NBA2K13, particularly the mode where I create my own player, how not to have my guy be a total scrub? Assume I have only a passing knowledge of basketball.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Quiet Python posted:

Well, it's not a complete loss. Gliding takes Stamina, too. Until you get the upgrade that makes it not cost Stamina anymore.

Not really. Like the last two games, once you start getting stuff done your hourly cashflow along with the later challenges and missions will be more than enough money as you go.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Quiet Python posted:

Nah, it's still wasted cache, since infinite stamina applies to gliding, too.

But it ultimately doesn't matter that much, it's not like Saints Row is a terrifically cerebral game where you have to think ten steps ahead at all times. You can buy a bunch of useless poo poo and still be fine, it's just a nice thing to know about is all.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nah, it's still wasted cache, since infinite stamina applies to gliding, too.

No it doesn't. I got infinite stamina early on and it still costs stamina to dash and glide.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Really old but anything for Shining Force?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

mcvey posted:

Are you playing the Genesis or GBA version?

In the GBA version, there are 3 new characters introduced in little between-chapter vignettes, as well as a reward and card system. The card system can be used to break the game, but it's totally unnecessary as the game isn't that difficult.

There are no random encounters, so the only way to gain experience is through the limited number of battles in the game. If you want to grind, have Max (or whatever you named your leader) cast egress near the end of a battle to retreat to HQ and start over.

Spells do a fixed amount of damage/healing (more or less) that does not increase with the caster's level. For example, Blaze 1 will always do 6-8 damage.

If a character seems really weak when you get him, he'll PROBABLY be extremely useful once he gains a couple levels. Hans will never be useful.

In Guardiana (where you get Anri), search the castle. You will find a statue with a Domingo Egg inside. Later, in the caravan town, someone will be able to hatch the egg for you, and Domingo will join your team. He's a more durable caster than the other two you'll have at the time, but he has no promotion.

You can promote your units at level 20, but if you want to min/max then hold off until they reach level 40 (or just promote whenever, it's not a hard game).

When a unit gets promoted, it takes a slight hit to stats, but its level is reduced to 1, so it ought to gain levels quickly and be back to fighting strength.

Bleu is awesome in the Genesis version. Not so much in the GBA version.

Guntz hits like a tank, but he also moves like one, unfortunately. If you want to use him, give him a quick chicken and running pimento AFTER you promote him.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

mcvey posted:

The level after you get Guntz, you find a Running Ring. Give that to him and then let him join the party. He's the best character once he has move 6.

Experimenting with characters is a lot of fun for new players. There are some that are always going to be top tier for most of the game (Guntz, Zylo), some that can turn out powerful or useless depending on randomness (Bleu, Kokichi), and some that will always be pretty drat useless (Lowe, Gong). Have fun finding out which one is which!

There are a lot of characters you can miss. The hardest ones to find are Yogurt, Mushashi and Hanzou, which you may want a guide for. The others aren't too bad to find on your own.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Cirosan posted:

Anything I should be aware of for Shadowrun Returns? I'm a total neophyte to the franchise who only has the Kickstarter page info and 20-ish pages of the primer to go on.

Etiquettes are completely useless. I took Socialite and it appeared once in the game. Shadowrunner is the best because it will get you more cash.
Be careful about spending all your money before a mission, you may not be able to hire anyone worthwhile if you do.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cliff posted:

You can promote your units at level 20, but if you want to min/max then hold off until they reach level 40 (or just promote whenever, it's not a hard game).
That's Shining Force 2, unless the GBA version changed it up. In Shining Force 1, you can promote at level 10, but if you want to sperg it up and go for maximum stats, you can hold off until level 20. But you can still beat either game easily enough if you promote immediately.

The reasoning behind it is that promoted level 1 treats you the same as far as how much XP you get for killing things no matter how long you put off promoting. But if you put off promoting until later, you end up with higher stats when you do promote.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 23, 2013

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey guys, finally getting around to Knights of the Old Republic II. Any good tips to save some frustration?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Id be much obliged if anyone has any advice for The Last Remnant on PC. It looks really confusing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys, finally getting around to Knights of the Old Republic II. Any good tips to save some frustration?

1- The Sith Lords Restoration mod adds a ton of cut content in an almost seamless manner. I'd suggest adding it if its your first time playing.

2- Every character has an influence level with you that if you raise high enough you unlock more dialogue options and other things. It's pretty easy to figure out for most, and can be easily unlocked through regular dialogue, but some of the NPC's have to be present during specific moments when you give a response in order to get enough influence points for them to progress. If you really want to see everything it's better to just play the game once and then use an influence editor to see the extra content.

3- The game is extremely similar to Kotor 1, and if you haven't played it, uses 3rd ED D&D rules. Since its an Obsidian game, there are a lot more potential solutions based on skill checks rather then direct combat.

4- Pick either dark or light side and go all the way. You get insane stat bonuses once you reach enough light/dark side points.

5- If you don't know how the leveling system works the 'recommended' button is decent but not great. Once you figure it out you can easily min/mix.

6- Save frequently and often. Don't rely on the autosave, you might want to go back and change a choice once you see the final outcome, or just go back and see other outcomes.

7- The light side ending is much different from the dark side ending. You can either play it twice, or youtube it, but it's not something you unlock by a final set of choices near the end.

Holy poo poo there's no article for this game on the wiki. It really needs a better write-up then this. I've played the game 5+ times but I played it right after it came out so I have nostalgic fondness for it.

Brasseye posted:

Id be much obliged if anyone has any advice for The Last Remnant on PC. It looks really confusing.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Last_Remnant
Check the wiki. It's got a great breakdown of the difference between the PC and console version.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GuavaMoment posted:

The level after you get Guntz, you find a Running Ring. Give that to him and then let him join the party. He's the best character once he has move 6.

Guntz? And I thought Butz was an unfortunate name.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So my buddy and I just picked up Halo 4 and we're doing split-screen co-op through the entire Spartan Ops mode. The only FPSes I've played before are RPG-type ones (Deus Ex and Borderlands serieses) and class-based ones where I can avoid having to actually be a gunfighter (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory). What do I need to know in order to not be a horrible burden on my co-op partner? I assume a lot of it is just gonna be "You'll suck initially, but you'll figure out a feel for when and how to engage" territory, but are there specific things to the franchise that'll serve me well?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Brasseye posted:

Decide quickly whether you want to finish the game or complete it. If you're not interested in 100% then you can ignore most of the advice below; the game difficulty (mostly) scales with your level.
  • Save often.
  • Be aware that the game includes many player-abusive JPRG tropes.
    • It's possible to lock yourself out of optional quests, and even entire optional areas, permanently if you do things in the wrong order.
    • Important game mechanics, abilities, tactics, etc... will be absent until you advance the plot far enough to reveal them; the early section of the game is a pseudo-tutorial which you're forced to run through on every subsequent playthrough. If you start grinding early, then it's possible that you'll give up in frustration before the game has revealed its full set of features.
    • It's possible to reduce the effectiveness of your characters by failing to specialize them properly. It isn't possible to truly gimp them, unless you deliberately disable ALL of their weapon skill and mystic arts.
    • There are hidden statistics and counters for factors such as skill progression, rare enemy spawns, companion weapon upgrades, etc... As a consequence, many gameplay outcomes feel highly random and you may be forced to replay sections (grind) if you're trying to achieve something specific.
  • If you have a sufficiently-large union (4 members?) all using magic attacks, and they're the correct magic attacks, and everyone has enough AP, then the individual attacks get replaced by a ridiculously-powerful AoE attack (such as Blackout).
    • Very rarely, enemy unions will accidentally trigger the same effect (since they use the same gameplay mechanics as your unions). The result is usually a Game Over.
  • I'd recommend switching the QTE triggers to automatic. The core aspect of gameplay is tactical; you'll see the various attack animations so many times that you'll probably stop paying attention to them (I sometimes found myself taking my hands off the keyboard entirely after pressing "Go"), and if you're using manual triggers then you'll probably miss them and get annoyed.
  • Spend a few minutes on the wiki to learn about status effects. Stuff like poison can usually be ignored (since characters won't reliably clear it even when ordered to use recovery abilities, the per-round damage is low enough that you can usually finish the fight normally, and it clears automatically when the fight ends). "Cursed" is a much more serious problem.
  • After major plot developments, you'll sometimes find that your union capacity has been increased. If you're powergaming, then you'll probably want to deploy as many unions as possible (but with fewer members in each). Large unions are more likely to be flanked, but they have a deeper HP pool which makes them more forgiving (incoming damage is partially divided among members, so the entire team tends to remain standing until the union HP falls below ~30%). Either way, be sure to recruit any highly-skilled mercenaries or special characters that you run across.
  • Special characters will use their special ablities only when assigned as union leaders. You can organize your team however you want, of course. But if you're looking for "Limit Break" stuff then let the voiced characters take command.
  • The crafting system is a giant pain-in-the-rear end. Last time that I played, I just used a memory editor to give myself 99 of each component. I don't regret doing so. gently caress grind forever.
  • If you manage to capture an enemy alive (usually because you used the Knockout effect, but it sometimes happens randomly when dealing lethal damage) then you'll get an option at the end of the battle. "Split" means "split the monster open and harvest its rare components." "Keep" means "take it with us so that we can subsequently sell it to a chef for lots of money." This isn't a moral choice; the monster is going to die either way. Just decide whether you want the components or the cash.
  • By default, party members manage their own inventory while you can equip only the protagonist. You can upgrade party equipment by performing incredibly tedious fetch quests for them at randomly-triggered moments. At other random times, they'll offer to replace their current weapon with something selected at-random from the party inventory (and you're not allowed to open the inventory to make a comparison; you're given only a Yes/No prompt!). gently caress that noise. You're a PC gamer, you have text editing powers. Assume direct control.

Advice from Gerblyn
  • Your battle rank goes up as you kill monsters, and certain enemies and fights will scale up with your rank. I only had trouble with one fight because of it though, so it's not a big deal.
  • If you're having trouble with a fight with lots of monsters, try putting Dave in charge of a union. Occasionally he pulls a special move that will literally kill everything on the field. Similarly, a few other leaders get special moves that they only use when in charge of a union.
  • A huge number of areas and quests in this game are missable. The only real way to make sure you don't miss something important is to visit every Pub and speak to everyone with a red bubble on their heads before you go to advance the plot. Every time you advance the plot. With a couple of minor exceptions, there's almost never a reason to talk to anyone without a red bubble.
  • Characters get better at using arts by using them. Even if the attack is queued and never fires, the character will still get some XP for it. This means you should never just choose straight attack, always get your guys to use arts, regardless of how weak an enemy is. Note that the union leader is far more likely to use arts than anyone else.
  • Choose a weapon type for Rush and stick with it, just about everything works, though sword and board or dual wield seem best for an all rounder.
  • This game has the most ridiculously overcomplicated crafting system I have ever encountered, you will end up with literally hundreds of different components. Many components will only be dropped after you get a particular magazine as a quest reward for completing a guild task.
  • If a character explicitly asks for a component, that means it is somehow possible to get it without advancing the plot. It may not be worth the hassle however of explicitly looking for it though, since occasionally the characters change their minds about the items they want for no apparent reason.
  • Look out for rare monsters (they have green names when you select them) early on they may obliterate you, but it's always worth trying to kill them. Many union tasks require you to kill rares and trying to get them to spawn deliberately can be an amazing pain in the rear end.
  • Look out for the characters you recruit hanging round in the town you recruited them in. If you find one, then speak to them, go back to the world map and then go speak to them again. Repeat until you feel your sanity beginning to crack. After a while, they'll show red bubbles, and after enough red bubbles you'll get a special stat bonus for them. Sometimes they'll give you a quest first, and you need to speak to them again after doing it to get the bonus. Also, sometimes you'll need to advance the plot to a certain point before you can get their bonus/quest. For a couple of people, doing their quests will unlock their supermoves.
  • If you're a completionist, you will need this website:
    The Last Remnant Guide
    You'll also need the patience of a saint and vast amounts of time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Brasseye posted:

One thing that people haven't really gotten into is the general flow of the gameplay. It's not like your average JRPG where your party just mashes into the monster line - you have to think a little differently about who you should attack.

Effectively, you need to take into account what fronts you're fighting on - attacking an enemy unit will effectively lock you into frontal combat with that unit, and most of the game is about manipulating and properly maintaining these engagements. If there's only one enemy unit, then your first unit will lock it and any further ones are free to attack its flank or back. If there's multiple enemy units and you don't lock them all, one of them will be free to flank attack one of yours instead. If you need to pull back one of your units to heal, then you really have to have a spare unit on 'standby', ready to come in the same turn - if you don't, they'll advance straight into your retreating line and tear them to shreds.

As such, when you're fighting a major enemy, the best tactic is usually to establish a rotation - one union locks the boss, the others support. When the main union needs to heal, bring your 2nd one in, when they need to heal, bring your 3rd one in, when they need to heal, bring your 1st one in again.

When you're fighting random battles, it's usually best to have your unions lock each of the enemy unions, rather than try to gang up on something. Leave flank and back attacks for when you've run out of enemy unions to lock.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Jonny Angel posted:

So my buddy and I just picked up Halo 4 and we're doing split-screen co-op through the entire Spartan Ops mode. The only FPSes I've played before are RPG-type ones (Deus Ex and Borderlands serieses) and class-based ones where I can avoid having to actually be a gunfighter (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory). What do I need to know in order to not be a horrible burden on my co-op partner? I assume a lot of it is just gonna be "You'll suck initially, but you'll figure out a feel for when and how to engage" territory, but are there specific things to the franchise that'll serve me well?

If it's anything like the earlier Halo games, as long as you're shooting dudes and avoid dying while your partner is dead, you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonny Angel posted:

Basic Stuff (ie; this applies to any Halo game)

Plasma weapons (mainly the Storm Rifle) do nasty things to shields. A Plasma Pistol might not seem all that useful, but a fully-charged shot will take down an Elite's shields (it'll also EMP a vehicle) and give you a clean shot at killing them before they recharge. Generally you want a plasma weapon and a projectile one as your carried pair.

Whenever possible, don't use the basic Assault Rifle - use either the Pistol (make sure you've got a good weapon other than this, because it's not good for anything BUT shooting weaker enemies in the head), the Battle Rifle (three-round burst) or the DMR (semi-automatic rifle with a 15-round clip). Grunts (the little dwarf dudes with gasmasks) and Jackals (the ones that look like lizards or featherless birds) both go down to a single headshot from any those weapons. You need to learn to headshot them (and hold onto something to do this with) so you can clear them out quickly and give yourself breathing room for the real threats - Elites (the armored dudes about your size with an energy shield like your own). Elites will also die to a single headshot once their shields are down, incidentally. As a side-note, if you see a Gauss Rifle don't bother with it - you can hold gently caress-all ammo for it and it's rare enough that it's never worth using.

Also, Grunts might look comical but they will gently caress you up if there's enough of them (hence headshotting ASAP). Some of them come packing Fuel Rod Guns (basically rocket launchers, and well worth making use of yourself) and they will ruin your day if you're not careful. The Birthday Skull is really worth having active while you play, simply because you'll know when you've shot a Grunt in the face from the little puff of fireworks and children shouting "hurray!" (Never gets old, I swear). Also Plasma Grenades EMP vehicles, so be careful if you're driving something around near Grunts.

Also, it's not stated anywhere but you can hijack Wraith tanks. Kill the gunner, jump aboard if you dare when the prompt appears (careful that it doesn't ram you down), then ignore the prompt to plant a grenade and start pressing the Melee button instead. Even odds that the pilot dies before the Wraith does. If you can pull it off, get in and enjoy the best vehicle in the game.

Forerunner Stuff
The Forerunner pistol's overcharge is largely worthless. It's only real use is the same as the Marine Pistol - headshots. Crawlers (the dudes on four legs) go down in one hit if you can shoot them in the face, and that's just what you should do. The Scattershot (Forerunner shotgun) is an insanely powerful weapon at close range. If you can get ahold of one, it'll put the hurt on Knights (the Forerunner version of the Elite). Just remember to take out their little flying buddy first if they deploy one - those fuckers can heal their partner Knight and have a bunch of nuisance tricks to protect them from you.

Incidentally, are aware the main story campaign has full co-op too?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 23, 2013