Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Gindack posted:

I was so excited for this past weekend, packed the night before, got to bed early with a smile on my face. When I wake up my allergies have decided to launch a preemptive strike on my plans for fun and I cant clear my ears for the life of me. Even after taking sudafed I was still stuffed up so I had to thumb it.

Guess the good news I don't have to pack for the next trip out.

More awesomely I am doing the underwater clean up at Lake Travis in September. Going with my LDS and we are assigned to where the party barges normally go take customers, so hoping I find someones sunglasses or wallet.

But with my luck Im gonna find a bright lime green dildo.

Large Marge at devil's cove? Its going to be straight beer cans out there and super lovely murky water. You'll probably find already bagged cans that party barges just dump overboard. LCRA had to send out two trash boats out to us because we pulled out so much poo poo. I doubt you'll find any wallets/sunglasses since most of those are out at starnes island (lake travis scuba charters), but you might get lucky. The party at carlos and charlies after is pretty fun, just get there ASAP as parking gets unbelievably lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Also, guys, its finally happened. 8 student class tonight? All Chi Omegas. In such a good mood right now.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

Crunkjuice posted:

Large Marge at devil's cove? Its going to be straight beer cans out there and super lovely murky water. You'll probably find already bagged cans that party barges just dump overboard. LCRA had to send out two trash boats out to us because we pulled out so much poo poo. I doubt you'll find any wallets/sunglasses since most of those are out at starnes island (lake travis scuba charters), but you might get lucky. The party at carlos and charlies after is pretty fun, just get there ASAP as parking gets unbelievably lovely.

Yup we are working Starnes Island, unfortunately I have to work the night before so after I get off I will have enough time to get ready and meet at the marina before the group heads out. Hopefully I will be awake enough for the after party.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

macado posted:

Had a great weekend of diving in Rhode Island.
Sounds like a good weekend. I really want to dive one of the U-boats off of the east coast. I'll probably get to the one in NC first but I ultimately want to dive the U-who from the book shadow divers because that book got me into wreck diving and it seems appropriate that I go see it. It is pretty far off shore though so I'm guessing only a couple of charters run the occasional boat to it. I'm going through diving withdrawal. I thought I'd have time in my schedule to go do a week or so of solid diving this month but real life had to get in the way. I just gotta tough it out!

Crunkjuice posted:

Also, guys, its finally happened. 8 student class tonight? All Chi Omegas. In such a good mood right now.
As you well know if you've done one of those college discover scubas before, they all wear their spring break bikinis to the pool session too. I really should have taken SCUBA for credit in college.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 22, 2013

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

As you well know if you've done one of those college discover scubas before, they all wear their spring break bikinis to the pool session too. I really should have taken SCUBA for credit in college.

It was as magical as i expected it to be. During their orientation the instructor apprently "forgot" to warn them off bikini's tangling hazard so they were as skimpy as you'd expect. I also told them after our friday night class its tradition for the class to go out for drinks.

I'm shameless.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

What size hood and gloves should I be looking at for NE diving? I have a 7mm Farmer John now and wondering if I can go down to 5mm gloves and hood. The 7mm has pretty restricted movement and was hoping I could use some smaller gloves.

I'd mostly be messing around Dutch Springs in PA with this suit. I think it's in the low 50's down deep.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

micron posted:

What size hood and gloves should I be looking at for NE diving? I have a 7mm Farmer John now and wondering if I can go down to 5mm gloves and hood. The 7mm has pretty restricted movement and was hoping I could use some smaller gloves.

I'd mostly be messing around Dutch Springs in PA with this suit. I think it's in the low 50's down deep.

Most tec guys I know thin down gloves for dexterity for valve drills and such. I know a few who dive 5mm with some fingertips cut off.
Its all a comfort/dexterity tradeoff that you'll have to figure out what's worth it to you. If you're warm in your suit/hood, I'd say its worth it to glove down and have better dexterity.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

micron posted:

I've used 3mm down to 6 celcius which is 42 of your moon units. It was alright but 45 minutes was about as long as i'd like to go

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So..... GoPros are good for video, I get that. However, I want to start taking better still pictures underwater and I don't think a GoPro will do it, based on what I've read. What do I buy? We're diving the Keys next week and I would love to dry run something before the blue hole trip.

Varashi
Sep 1, 2006
THE MAN is limiting my BANDWIDTH :argh: [belgian goons]
So my fiancé and me are planning on going to the Maldives in May 2014 for our honeymoon.

We both are SCUBA divers, me CMAS 3* and she CMAS 1*, we have our own gear.

Any recommendations regarding hotels/diving centers/general locations that are good for diving there?
We'd like to go without a guide whenever possible. Just get tanks & weights, then go in on our own.
Or do some boat dives if they're worth the cost.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I'm going to be visiting Miami in late October for a few days - is there any MUST SEE diving while I'm out there? I'm really intruiged by the Atlantis Memorial Park, so I'm going to try to do that - any other advice? I've been eyeing the Spiegel Grove but it seems a bit too deep for my comfort level at the time.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.

micron posted:

A good fitting 5mm hood and 5mm gloves are standard here in New England.

I use a Fourth Element 7mm hood with a lavacore hood underneath for longer dives but I'm a cold water wimp.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I have no financial self-control.

I got my Knighthawk in March this year, done about 40-ish dives on it. Liked it just fine, was comfortable with it.

This morning my friend sends me a message, he's got me a great deal on a Halcyon Infinity because he knows the folks at local Halcyon importer/GUE training place. The great deal price applies to both the regular black bladders and the limited edition digital camo version.

I ended-up stepping of out of the office for a few hours and walking out of the DC with No. 25/80 of the digital camo version, plus some trim pockets and a pouch thingy (geez the prices of the Halcyon bits and bobs!). All in all it cost me just a little more than what a regular infinity setup with no extras would cost.

lovely cellphone pics:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm going to be visiting Miami in late October for a few days - is there any MUST SEE diving while I'm out there? I'm really intruiged by the Atlantis Memorial Park, so I'm going to try to do that - any other advice? I've been eyeing the Spiegel Grove but it seems a bit too deep for my comfort level at the time.

My advice would be to drive north or south to do your diving. Miami itself does have diving, but the better diving is either up in the Fort Lauderdale to Jupiter area or down in the Key Largo to Key West area. If you want shallow reefs, Key Largo all the way. If you want some easier smaller wrecks, go up to West Palm. The downside to the stuff to the north is that there's usually a fair amount of current.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Varashi posted:

So my fiancé and me are planning on going to the Maldives in May 2014 for our honeymoon.

We both are SCUBA divers, me CMAS 3* and she CMAS 1*, we have our own gear.

Any recommendations regarding hotels/diving centers/general locations that are good for diving there?
We'd like to go without a guide whenever possible. Just get tanks & weights, then go in on our own.
Or do some boat dives if they're worth the cost.

I am going to Maldives in December! It will be my first time however, so I can't give too much advice. From what I gather it's mostly liveaboards, which is fine by me. I'm going with http://explorerventures.com/ as the boat looks really nice. I booked the trip on a whim ($2k for a 7 day liveaboard and $1k for airfare, why not?) and didn't really do too much research, there probably are diving resorts that would work for the kind of vacation you're after. I'd recommend picking up a lonely planet guide, the one for maldives looks to be well reviewed and recent. If possible head to a scuba show/convention, based on the one I went to it'll be 75% tour operators / resorts / etc and you'll likely be able to get info from both a number of companies from the maldives, and travel agencies that book all over.

e: I just remembered, I think it's mostly liveaboards because many of the dives are drift dives in channels, which I don't think would be good for shore diving.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah, it's not like Bonaire where they'll give you a tank and tell you to gently caress off. It'll be mostly boat based dives, and a vast majority will be liveaboards. That's what I did when I went. I used http://www.maldivesdivetravel.com/ to find a suitable liveaboard. I can't remember which boat I took, I think it was the Dreamcatcher II.

Unless you stay at a resort, there's not much to do other than dive. Male is a small island and you'll see most of it in a day or two (less really). Diving is about the only thing.

Also remember that it's a Muslim country so you won't find any alcohol outside of resorts or boats. Make sure your trip doesn't accidentally coincide with Ramadan, otherwise you'll find yourself quite hungry throughout the day (my buddy has done this THREE times, the lunkhead).

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

jackyl posted:

So..... GoPros are good for video, I get that. However, I want to start taking better still pictures underwater and I don't think a GoPro will do it, based on what I've read. What do I buy? We're diving the Keys next week and I would love to dry run something before the blue hole trip.

Olympus is going through a lot of hardware refreshes and I scored an Olympus E-PL1 and Housing for 399 combined a while back. I saw a similar deal on one of their Pen Minis not too long ago as well.

You can get the housing for 250 and probably the camera for < 200 somewhere.
http://www.adorama.com/IOMPTEP01.html?gclid=CNnJn8eLlLkCFSdk7AodemQALw

Cru Jones fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 23, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

raffie posted:

I have no financial self-control.
I own a lot of Halcyon stuff and yeah it is overpriced but the quality is always good. If you are looking into more Halcyon stuff make sure to check what Scubapro has as well because a couple of the regulators, knives, and probably a few other things are the exact same, as in came off the same assembly line, one just has an H on it and costs more.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 24, 2013

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just noticed this thread, as I don't venture into A/T terribly often. I live in Wilmington, NC and we have a ton of wrecks in shallow water that aren't far offshore. Our main charter company here (that I know of, at any rate) is Aquatic Safaris, and I'm going with them to a wreck in mid September. The ship is only sitting in ~60 feet of water, and a bunch of the old superstructure is still intact (and covered with all sorts of colorful wildlife). Best part? It's only 3 miles offshore. I'm just now getting back into diving (having lived in AK for almost 3 years and just getting back here last fall) so this is going to be a good trip. We went to this same wreck back in June, and it was gorgeous :)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Cru Jones posted:

Olympus is going through a lot of hardware refreshes and I scored an Olympus E-PL1 and Housing for 399 combined a while back. I saw a similar deal on one of their Pen Minis not too long ago as well.

You can get the housing for 250 and probably the camera for < 200 somewhere.
http://www.adorama.com/IOMPTEP01.html?gclid=CNnJn8eLlLkCFSdk7AodemQALw

Awesome, thanks. This looks really attractive, but the strobe is.... $600? Is that really what they cost?

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

jackyl posted:

Awesome, thanks. This looks really attractive, but the strobe is.... $600? Is that really what they cost?

Sad face, depends on what you're looking for. You could get some manual strobes that go for way less. But now we're getting out of my depth. Started to get into photography a couple years ago, and just making the transition to the underwater world.

Hey let's combine two of the more expensive hobbies you can have into ONE!

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just noticed this thread, as I don't venture into A/T terribly often. I live in Wilmington, NC and we have a ton of wrecks in shallow water that aren't far offshore. Our main charter company here (that I know of, at any rate) is Aquatic Safaris, and I'm going with them to a wreck in mid September. The ship is only sitting in ~60 feet of water, and a bunch of the old superstructure is still intact (and covered with all sorts of colorful wildlife). Best part? It's only 3 miles offshore. I'm just now getting back into diving (having lived in AK for almost 3 years and just getting back here last fall) so this is going to be a good trip. We went to this same wreck back in June, and it was gorgeous :)

I dove the Hyde and Markem about a month ago with ScubaNow. My Inlaws live in Carolina Beach and I'm down there quite a bit. Those Megalodon tooth hunts look pretty fun.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Icon Of Sin posted:

Glad you found us! How is the water temp around there this time of year? I've gotten conflicting opinions on what type of thermal protection you need to have to dive NC wrecks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I went with a 3/4 wetsuit, 3mm on my last dive and got a little chilly. This time I'm going with a full wetsuit (still 3mm) so should be better off (granted we're only going to about 60ft down). On the surface the water was only slightly chilly, and it was borderline comfortable even in a 3/4 wetsuit once I started kicking around and otherwise moving. This was barely offshore (only ~3 mi), near Wrightsville Beach, in late June though. Our SCUBA club here (UNCW) recommends full wetsuits, 3-5mm depending on how easily you get cold. I lived in interior AK for almost 3 years before coming back here so being cold is essentially a non-issue for me :v:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Cru Jones posted:

Sad face, depends on what you're looking for. You could get some manual strobes that go for way less. But now we're getting out of my depth. Started to get into photography a couple years ago, and just making the transition to the underwater world.

Hey let's combine two of the more expensive hobbies you can have into ONE!

Yeah, I knew upgrading from my point and shoot wasn't going to be cheap, but I got all fired up when I saw your post and then I looked up the strobe and holy poo poo! It was more than the camera and housing. I did some digging and there may be a couple more options.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Bishop posted:

Glad you found us! How is the water temp around there this time of year? I've gotten conflicting opinions on what type of thermal protection you need to have to dive NC wrecks.

NC is kinda weird seeing the gulf stream swings close to shore. At 30 miles out you could see an increase in water temps. We dove in 3mm's at 80' and were more then comfortable.

Question,
So I have an older dacor first stage and it "looks" to have 1/2" couplings. My new BC has a 3/8's adaptor for the hose. Do I just buy one of these?

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aquhab/12-male-to-38-female-regulator-adapter

My new BC:

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-swdax/sherwood-axis-bcd

I'll measure it tomorrow but I'll assume its a common part.

loldor
Jul 4, 2008

Never knew we had a SCUBA thread, should've figured.

Me and my SO typically only dive when on summer holiday (we're from Holland). We got our PADI AOW 2 years ago and probably do 6-8 dives per year. I know this isn't a lot, but we're both quite comfortable when in the presence of a guide. This week I'm leaving for Malta. We'll be looking to do 2 dives per day on 3-4 days. We've done about 15 dives before in Malta and it's a small island. How do you get the most out of your dives on a holiday location if you've already done a couple before?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

IDateBois posted:

Never knew we had a SCUBA thread, should've figured.

Me and my SO typically only dive when on summer holiday (we're from Holland). We got our PADI AOW 2 years ago and probably do 6-8 dives per year. I know this isn't a lot, but we're both quite comfortable when in the presence of a guide. This week I'm leaving for Malta. We'll be looking to do 2 dives per day on 3-4 days. We've done about 15 dives before in Malta and it's a small island. How do you get the most out of your dives on a holiday location if you've already done a couple before?

Have you done any night diving? It 100% makes a familiar dive location feel like an alien planet. Night diving is my absolute favorite thing to do when travelling. If you haven't taken up photography, that could also be a cool thing to try on a familiar dive site. If there are any wrecks of Malta (no idea), getting wreck certified would be very worthwhile.

If all else fails, find a new place to dive ;p

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 28, 2013

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
For those of you interested in a GoPro it looks like Apple has them on sale for $329.99 atm, while they are still $399.99 on GoPros website.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
Finally got around to fiddling with some of my pictures from the Mabul/Sipadan area that I took in June. Most of them are really disappointing since my flash wasn't working, but we saw too many cool things not to share any of them.

Cuttlefish

Blue spotted stingray

Some kind of nudibranch

Green sea turtle with remora

Black lionfish (is this a different species than the normal one?)

Giant frogfish

Ornate ghost pipefish #1 and #2

Porcelain crab

Peacock mantis shrimp

Leaf scorpionfish (I saw so many of these but it's impossible to get good angle to photograph them, they really are as thin as leaves almost)

School of barracuda

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oakland Martini posted:

Black lionfish (is this a different species than the normal one?)

I think it's different, the ones I've seen at our aquarium here were more white. Here's a pic:

Their info plaque had them as invasive (to the east coast of the US), aggressive, predatory, and very poisonous.

Oakland Martini posted:

School of barracuda

:stare:

e: just signed up for an advanced open water class. It's tomorrow night :eyepop: Going to do the dives next month. This class is going out this weekend, but I had already made plans to be out of town :(

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 30, 2013

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished packing our gear and we land in EYW tomorrow evening! More pictures coming in a week or so. :getin:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How do you guys hold crap with bp/wings? Like a waterproof wallet or something.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

TLG James posted:

Clip stuff to the D-rings with snap bolts. For a water proof wallet I'd probably clip it to the butt D-ring. Alternatively, Dive Rite has pouches that you can attach to the waist strap: http://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pockets.shtml

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

TLG James posted:

Drysuit/Wetsuit pockets.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

TLG James posted:

What all do you need to hold? My BCD is pretty minimal, it only has two tiny pockets and the only thing I put in there is a pair of gloves in case the current is ripping and I need to hold onto poo poo. Anything else, lights, gauges, safety sausage, etc I clip into D-rings.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

There are also some companies that make dive shorts with pockets on them. They look like cargo shorts you wear on top of your wetsuit.

I also had a crazy experience with a student last night i've never seen before. She was already pretty anxious and was needing extra attention on every skill. During the manual inflation for hovering underwater, she had a crisis. During the swap between power inflator and regulator, the zipper pull on her wetsuit managed to get between her regulator and her mouth, so when she inhaled water was pouring in and she started to cough. I was maybe 3 kicks away from her and by the time she got there she was in active panic if i've ever seen it. I got her to the surface and she was bawling and asked to leave. After a good long talk she decided to stick with it and join another class the next week. I've seen some crazy problems happen to students but this was a new one.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Well, not that I needed another reason to, but that's a good reason for tucking the zipper pull into the back of the neck hole. I just do it so it's not floating around or getting tangled on my gear when I try to take it off.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Like other people said, put bolt snaps or an equivalent on just about everything and clip it to you, or wear it in a hip pocket. I even bolt snap the stuff (backup spool, backup SMB, bacup mask, and wetnotes) onto nylon rings inside of my pocket so nothing else floats away when I'm trying to deploy something.

Crunkjuice posted:

There are also some companies that make dive shorts with pockets on them. They look like cargo shorts you wear on top of your wetsuit.
The ones I've seen are called "x-shorts" and they look pretty well made. I considered getting a pair once but I end up wearing my wet-suit on almost every dive.

quote:

I also had a crazy experience with a student last night i've never seen before. She was already pretty anxious and was needing extra attention on every skill. During the manual inflation for hovering underwater, she had a crisis. During the swap between power inflator and regulator, the zipper pull on her wetsuit managed to get between her regulator and her mouth, so when she inhaled water was pouring in and she started to cough. I was maybe 3 kicks away from her and by the time she got there she was in active panic if i've ever seen it. I got her to the surface and she was bawling and asked to leave. After a good long talk she decided to stick with it and join another class the next week. I've seen some crazy problems happen to students but this was a new one.
Eeek. For someone experienced that would have been an easy fix but I can see how that would freak the hell out of a new student. That's a crazy one, also a good reason to tuck your zipper into your suit.

e;f;b: somehow missed Rockcity's last post there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Crunkjuice posted:

Maybe you trained too long ago, but nervous/anxious/uneasy partners are probably the most stressing part of a dive course for a student.
Overachievers and self confident idiots who keep breaking line of sight in their first open sea dive come a close second.