Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I just installed the long war mod and what the gently caress? I only get one shot per magazine? And maps have like twice the number of aliens?

That means you installed it wrong.

Cosmic Afro posted:

What is more puzzling, however, is that unless they've added Infiltrator ships again in this mod from the original game, but an abduction and UFO shot down mission later, Japan retreated from the XCOM project.

At 1 Panic. With a Sattelite over it. I'm based in Asia.

Now, I've read that's because they have an Alien base over there, now, if I read the MOD documentation right, but that still strikes me as kind of wholly /too/ random. Argentina and Nigeria are the ones at 4 panic, after all. It may be because of that Large UFo that I had to allow let go, more due to the fact I couldn't SCRATCH the fucker, mind you now that I think about it. Still.

One country randomly pulls out early in the game in order to unlock base assault missions or something. The first time it happened I flipped out cause I had just completed a very difficult mission in Mexico who promptly left the XCOM project immediately afterwards. I went to the mod page to complain but turns out it just chooses a country at random to leave a specific date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Flippycunt posted:

Oh good, I'll fix it after work then.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

gannyGrabber posted:

Guys murder street is the easiest mission in the world, what is the issue here?

It depends on when you get it. A while back I was playing a marathon game, and Murder St. was my first terror mission map. Luckily I'd managed to get a full 6-guy squad, scopes and other early tech, but basically everyone just had bullet throwers and little to no health. Of the ~18 aliens on the map, all of 3 were floaters, the other ~15 (and rising since I was playing on classic and the RNG was against me) were cryssalids and zombies! While I was lucky enough to have two heavys above squaddie level at that point (holy poo poo rockets! fire all the rockets NOW!) and somehow managed to end that mission without casualties (basically everyone was in the infirmary for the rest of the month though) due to the floaters being taken out by one rocket to allow everyone else to RUUN! I could easily see that map going a different way with a few more aliens with guns and a few less rockets at a player's disposal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

dud root posted:

Bulletswarm Double Tap
Rapid Shot Double Tap

edit: Rapid Shot Bulletswarm Double Tap Assault :stonk:

You'd run out of ammo so fast.

Squadsight Snapshot Sprinter. Never worry about a clear line of fire ever again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does dashing reduce enemy overwatch accuracy or is that a myth?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It does reduce accuracy, but I couldn't tell you by how much. I think its mentioned in the tutorial

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Rinkles posted:

Dashing gives -20% to hit, so dashing into overwatch is -40%.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Well, the number of shots per mag means it's installed wrong. The increased number of aliens.....:xcom:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Well, the number of shots per mag means it's installed wrong. The increased number of aliens.....:xcom:

I still got past the first 4 missions with one shot magazines, on classic :colbert:

I did feel like it was bullshitting me after I ran into 6 drones on that one UFO though. But it looks like I didn't read the install instructions about editing files.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's the wrong guy :rolleyes:

JC Denton is just immune to panic, instead responding to everything with a 1000-yard "What a shame".

And after having one of his comrades killed, he also adds "He was a good man. What a rotten way to die." :cheeky:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I did feel like it was bullshitting me after I ran into 6 drones on that one UFO though. But it looks like I didn't read the install instructions about editing files.

The only reason to go messing with files is if you don't want the game to auto-update and break the mod that way. As long as you only run XCOM while Steam is in offline mode, Long War will work fine.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Mech soldier has flashback attack and kills rest of crew; Skyranger crashes into ocean.
I really don't want to know what happens when your mech gets mind controlled or if aliens start to use panic instead. Perhaps they're highly resistant like berserkers and chryssalids?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I don't understand why there's this thought that there must be an ideological clash between genetic enhancement and mechanical enhancement. Why would that lead to splinter factions? They're both trying to achieve the same thing and in very similar ways.

Psychic powers, though, that's a big one. I'm gonna have a genetically enhanced cybernetic psychic supersoldier solo run and nobody can stop me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'm looking forward to turning critically injured troops into mechs.

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SERVE

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
But can you repair MEC soldiers with the arc thrower?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I finished normal and I'm trying out an Classic Ironman run. Going okay except I couldn't get my satellites/uplink done until the day after the first council report, so my funding for month 2 was like 47 space bucks. Am I totally hosed or is it salvageable if I take the cash rewards for the next few abduction missions?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Hulk Krogan posted:

So I finished normal and I'm trying out an Classic Ironman run. Going okay except I couldn't get my satellites/uplink done until the day after the first council report, so my funding for month 2 was like 47 space bucks. Am I totally hosed or is it salvageable if I take the cash rewards for the next few abduction missions?

It's always salvageable. Never surrender!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've failed two missions in the first month I the long war mod already. gently caress whoever felt outsiders needed 10 health, extra armor and a self repair ability.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere on getting through the first few months on classic IM? I think the one thing I was told was that if I lost any guys in the first three missions and couldn't get an Officer Training School by the end of the month to go ahead and start over.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

gannyGrabber posted:

Probably still med kits and yet...

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I've failed two missions in the first month I the long war mod already. gently caress whoever felt outsiders needed 10 health, extra armor and a self repair ability.

Outsiders are perfectly manageable if you enter the UFO from 2-3 sides and get loads of flank shots. Just take it slow and steady and they will die easily.

Unless a stray shot takes out a wall and exposes them early on :xcom: Then your best best is to spam explosives and hope for the best.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

The Rat posted:

I'm looking forward to turning critically injured troops into mechs.

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SERVE
The mod would not be complete without adding voices for "My life for Aiur!" and "I have returned."

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Hulk Krogan posted:

Oh yeah, totally doable. Getting satellites first month isn't necessary, it's just $200 extra or so.

gannyGrabber posted:

Oh what, "Hold still, I'm going to electrocute your butt"? I'm thinking no.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere on getting through the first few months on classic IM? I think the one thing I was told was that if I lost any guys in the first three missions and couldn't get an Officer Training School by the end of the month to go ahead and start over.

I don't see how you could get the OTS and satellites going in the first month. I sold my entire first UFO plus a decent chunk of alloys and weapon fragments just to get an uplink and two satellites, plus the workshop I needed to get enough engineers for the uplink.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't see how you could get the OTS and satellites going in the first month. I sold my entire first UFO plus a decent chunk of alloys and weapon fragments just to get an uplink and two satellites, plus the workshop I needed to get enough engineers for the uplink.

You'd only want to get OTS and one satellite in the first month. I don't think you start going for 3+ satellites till mid April-ish.

EDIT: Digging through the old thread, I found this effort post that's pretty helpful as well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508281&perpage=40&pagenumber=395#post408751257

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 23, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Ok, I've figured out a new fun way to play: Coin flip on rank up. Hopefully this makes for another fun run before the new game!

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Coolguye posted:

Murder street's difficulty is inversely proportional to how many explosives you have on the scene.

The same could be said about the game at large though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Also true for squadsight snipers

Murder Street is really, really rough if it's your first or second map, it's not so bad after you have some experienced guys

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

How the hell did I not know about this game?

http://playwhatyoulikesrpgreviews.wordpress.com/tag/x-com/

It was made by Julian Gollop himself!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A lot of us knew about it. Just a shame it missed the DS.

You know Gollop did the early 3DS Ghost Recon game too, right?

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

A lot of us knew about it. Just a shame it missed the DS.

You know Gollop did the early 3DS Ghost Recon game too, right?

I never owned any portables. Guess I'll have a very interesting weekend with emulators.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
As a colorist on Axe Cop, I managed to sneak in a covert reference to Xcom.

The colors were actually eyedroppered from the commander view in the original xcom's world globe. :allears:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How does The Long War play with Slingshot?

edit: nvm found it. Guess I'll give this one a go while waiting for the expansion, it looks like a solid update to the game.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 23, 2013

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Still waiting on modding tools for the OS X version to be able to try out some Long War goodness. :smith:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Hey guys, great news:

http://n4g.com/news/1338684/xcom-enemy-within-will-be-even-harder

"XCOM: Enemy Unknown has a reputation for being a bit of a toughie, especially for those players who played on ironman mode and who tried the game's higher difficulty levels.

In fact, that difficulty level was a source of praise for the critically acclaimed strategy game and completing it on higher levels became something of a badge of hounour for those who managed it.

Fans will be pleased to hear then, that the recently announced DLC for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM: Enemy Within, will not be watered down in that respect. In fact, lead designer Ananda Gupta told NowGamer that XCOM: Enemy Within will be even tougher."

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Oh dear. There goes my sanity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ananda seemed pretty on the ball in the video, but that could just be marketing speak. It's hard for developers to judge difficulty anyway in my experience.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Ananda seemed pretty on the ball in the video, but that could just be marketing speak. It's hard for developers to judge difficulty anyway in my experience.

I'm OK with it. They seem to be aware that the game gets progressively easier. If they do something to address that I'll be happy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Any word on naming SHIVs yet? I want R2D2 and Johnny-5 scouting for my team of Alex Murphy, JC Denton, Alita and Hue.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Spacedad posted:

This moment is the point in your life where you should really sit back, relax, and think "Man, I am such a cool guy".

Andre Banzai posted:

Fans will be pleased to hear then, that the recently announced DLC for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM: Enemy Within, will not be watered down in that respect. In fact, lead designer Ananda Gupta told NowGamer that XCOM: Enemy Within will be even tougher."[/i]
Knowing XCOM's way of changing difficulty, I presume that means... Sectoids will have Thin Man aiming. Thin Man will have Squadsight. Rookies will have 1hp. All countries start at Level 4 panic. Unseen enemies can now teleport two squares away from your guys.

(Nah, I'm just joking. I quite like the way XCOM increases difficulty. It's genuinely tougher, but still fair. ...Except for Thin Men, anyway, they cheese it up on Impossible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Spacedad posted:

The colors were actually eyedroppered from the commander view in the original xcom's world globe. :allears:

You are a good person.

• Locked thread