Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The GIG posted:

A video with FFXHD's new music compared to the old music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym9WyzSQ2oo

I actually wasn't super into it until the guitar kicked in, after which point it just came together really well.

I never really had a problem with that battle theme in the first place, though the synth has just aged terribly. Nor the boss battle music from 10, which some also disliked, but even though it doesn't stand out among others from the series, it fit really well atmospherically with the big horrible creatures you usually ended up fighting.

Now, that special boss fight music, like from the Yunalesca battle, that they better have given due diligence, considering how much it owned already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I've been replaying FF6 for the first time in years. I've been in an art slump so I decided to draw some of the enemies and thought you guys might like to see

from this guy:

I've been playing a challenge run to make it more interesting.

1. No shopping (except for 1 dried meat for Gau and a single sprint shoes)
2. Any item equipped by a character can never be equipped to another character, including magicite and relics.
3. If a weapon/armor/relic has any elements associated with it, a character can't use it unless you know at least one spell/lore to match each element. Exception: if a character knows NO elemental spells at all, then they don't have this restriction.
4. No farming XP or items.

Floating continent was a bit hairy with only 6 fenix downs!

Definitely keep posting art, that one's great

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Renoistic posted:

and I don't want to hear Kimahri take a poo poo every time he uses an overdrive.

It would certainly give him more personality than ANYTHING else he's done.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The GIG posted:

Does anyone know if you can select witch soundtrack to use? That video didn't really sell me on the new remixes, especially if the approach they are using is "add more stuff so it sounds different" even if it fits the song or not.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm starting a fresh run of FF12 IZJS and I put Vaan in Samurai because why not. I have forgotten almost everything about vanilla FF12 - is there anything I can accomplish early game to make my life slightly easier?

I'm thinking about a team of:

Vaan - Samurai
Penelo - White Mage/Red Mage
Balthier - White Mage/Breaker
Fran - Uhlan/Monk
Ashe - Knight/Uhlan
Basch - Knight/Hunter

Some of those choices are just archetypical (Basch being a Knight) but I'm wondering how much synergy these classes have. I do want to do all the extra content this time through since I never did in Vanilla. I know it's said you can do anything in the story with any party but I'm wondering which of my multiple choices would be better for each character in the end.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
ANYTHING improves the poo poo-tastic regular battle theme in FFX. And I see no problem with the remaster. Sounds ten times better than the original did.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 23, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Levantine posted:

Fran - Uhlan/Monk
Ashe - Knight/Uhlan
Basch - Knight/Hunter

I'm pretty sure you want to avoid duplicates because certain things are gated by specific Espers, so having both class ideas for Ashe overlap with other people probably isn't the best way to think about it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People hated the regular battle theme from FFX? I actually really love it.

New version sounds great, too.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Wasn't a huge fan of the new FFX battle theme until the guitars kicked in. Other than the "TOO MANY INSTURMENTS" in the opening of the song, it actually sounds pretty great.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Levantine posted:

I'm starting a fresh run of FF12 IZJS and I put Vaan in Samurai because why not. I have forgotten almost everything about vanilla FF12 - is there anything I can accomplish early game to make my life slightly easier?

Vaan - Samurai
Fran - Uhlan/Monk
Ashe - Knight/Uhlan
Basch - Knight/Hunter

Some of those choices are just archetypical (Basch being a Knight) but I'm wondering how much synergy these classes have. I do want to do all the extra content this time through since I never did in Vanilla. I know it's said you can do anything in the story with any party but I'm wondering which of my multiple choices would be better for each character in the end.

You probably want to have it more like:

Vaan - Samurai
Penelo - White Mage
Balthier - Hunter
Fran - Red Mage
Ashe - Knight
Basch - Breaker

That's a fairly optimal setup given the jobs you want to use.

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm pretty sure you want to avoid duplicates because certain things are gated by specific Espers, so having both class ideas for Ashe overlap with other people probably isn't the best way to think about it.

Not sure if I'm reading this right but you can't have duplicate jobs anyways.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Azure_Horizon posted:

ANYTHING improves the poo poo-tastic regular battle theme in FFX. And I see no problem with the remaster. Sounds ten times better than the original did.

You take that back, FFX had a great battle theme. :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

drat the game looks quite nice, way better than I expected.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey, maybe if they make an FF12HD, they'll make all the music in that game not painfully dull.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

Hey, maybe if they make an FF12HD, they'll make all the music in that game not painfully dull.

FFXII really could have used some sort of dynamic music thing, where it ramps up near enemies or something.

Though I think Sakimoto's music tends to be pretty sleepy in general (though still good).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanfy posted:

You take that back, FFX had a great battle theme. :colbert:

If you mean the aeon battle or Jecht battle themes, sure. The rest of them were rear end, though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The GIG posted:

Yikes, that opening. The rest is okay, I guess.

I hope they do :human being:'s theme well. I don't really have much of an opinion on FFX's OST otherwise.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I liked the boss theme that sounded like someone sitting on a train skipping through a breakbeat mixtape.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Endorph posted:

One can only hope.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Best song in FFX by a country mile

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I like the original battle theme, but the new one sounds fantastic. Has a really nice energetic and fun feel to it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Those trumpets in the new theme really make me wish for an RPG with music that's just Mariachi as poo poo. Huge trumpet blasts and guitarron strumming out the wazoo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

No I think this is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5lyc2gLri4

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Sorry, did you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KghyAnqy5Q

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

poo poo man you miss clicked that. I've got your back though

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnT2Xu_3N0

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I was expecting all of those to be FFX-2's chocobo theme.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I was thinking more of Crazy Chocobo from XIII-2.

E: vv That makes two of us, then. vv

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 23, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I was expecting all of those to be FFX-2's chocobo theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fByFORDcNLA

:shepface:

(I actually like this song please don't kick me out of the cool club)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Any answer for best track on FFX's OST that isn't Wandering Flame is the wrong answer. It's the track that made me believe in Hamauzu's brilliance.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

poo poo-tastic is probably a bit strong, but FFX does have one of the weakest regular battle themes in the series. My problem isn't with this remaster, I was just hoping they were actually remastering the music and not remixing it, if you get what I mean.
Imagine buying a re-release of a classic album only to find out the guy in charge of the remastering added some dubstep to random songs. It might be cool, but you'd rather listen to the original. That's why I was wondering if you could choose soundtracks.

E:VVVVVV Well, because Square, I guess...

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 24, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I just don't see why people are hesitant or cautious considering it's Hamauzu remixing/remastering the tracks; this is the man who contributed to the majority of FFX's soundtrack and created most, if not all, of its best themes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
They should have used this version :rock:

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

I fully support this.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Congratulations on having bad taste in music.

Also, when the gently caress is FFV coming to Android? I really don't want to play it on my old iPhone if I can get it for my Nexus 7.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Levantine posted:

Vaan - Samurai
Fran - Uhlan/Monk
Ashe - Knight/Uhlan
Basch - Knight/Hunter

Do you only want to stick to the options you presented for those characters? If so, I'd probably go with the ones I bolded, which gives you magical offense (Red Mage, backup with Uhlan), magical healing (White Mage, backup with Knight and Red Mage), item healing (Hunter, backup Uhlan), and blocking (Knight and Hunter, and to a much lesser extent, Red Mage). You're more than set on the physical offense front with 4 attackers, and even Red Mage can do some good physical damage.

Now if you're willing to mix those jobs up a bit on who gets what, it could probably be slightly more optimized (say, Hunter Balthier, Uhlan Ashe, and Fran and Basch fighting for White Mage and either Breaker or Knight), but you're looking at very minor improvements at that point.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Schwartzcough posted:

Do you only want to stick to the options you presented for those characters? If so, I'd probably go with the ones I bolded, which gives you magical offense (Red Mage, backup with Uhlan), magical healing (White Mage, backup with Knight and Red Mage), item healing (Hunter, backup Uhlan), and blocking (Knight and Hunter, and to a much lesser extent, Red Mage). You're more than set on the physical offense front with 4 attackers, and even Red Mage can do some good physical damage.

Now if you're willing to mix those jobs up a bit on who gets what, it could probably be slightly more optimized (say, Hunter Balthier, Uhlan Ashe, and Fran and Basch fighting for White Mage and either Breaker or Knight), but you're looking at very minor improvements at that point.

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. I wanted to do Monk somewhere but I think that class' utility is really locked behind summon gates so I'm not sure I can make it fit. I'm still very early in the game so I think I'll go with this then:

Vaan - Samurai
Penelo - Red Mage
Balthier - Hunter
Fran - White Mage
Ashe - Uhlan
Basch - Knight

That should put me in a position to tackle all the content?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty much any combo of jobs can beat everything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

But what combo will soothe my inner sperg?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

But what combo will soothe my inner sperg?

I don't know of any combo that will do it for me, but thanks everyone for the advice.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Levantine posted:

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. I wanted to do Monk somewhere but I think that class' utility is really locked behind summon gates so I'm not sure I can make it fit. I'm still very early in the game so I think I'll go with this then:

Vaan - Samurai
Penelo - Red Mage
Balthier - Hunter
Fran - White Mage
Ashe - Uhlan
Basch - Knight

That should put me in a position to tackle all the content?

You should be good. If you do want to use Monk, I'd switch it out for Knight, since they're both physical attackers with White Magic backup. Poles actually have a pretty good parry rate, so Monks aren't terrible at blocking, and Monks can hit flying enemies with Poles while Knights are virtually helpless against flyers. But as you pointed out, Monks require a ton of Espers to unlock their full ability set, and don't get any White Magic until nearly the end of the game, when they can get most of the top-tier white magic (but at the cost of some nice abilities for your other guys, like an extra 310 HP and Greatswords for your White Mage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I made Balthier a Monk and have no regrets. Played through the original with a gun, got that out of my system.

He just looks... goddamn stylish with a pole. Dude's awesome and he knows it.