Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Am I the only one that feels like for all the love FOX gave FS1, they seemed to do an equally bad job of promoting FS2? It seems like some people forget it was also launched.
Fox Sports 2 shows Aussie Rules Football. It is now the only channel I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Chris Christie posted:

Is this the thread where I angrily denounce the pile of poo poo that is FOX SPORTS 1??

Because it's bad. REAL bad.

I was sooooooo looking forward to an alternative to ESPN. I mean, you couldn't possibly do worse even if you tried. Right? RIGHT???

Nope. They did it. It's like some sort of experiment to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Just where is the bottom of the pit that is terrible sports news programming? FOX SPORTS 1 won't rest until they find.

Their 5pm EST show with Regis and some annoying British lady and a couple of nerds seriously makes Skip Prosser and first take look like the Walter Cronkite CBS News of Sports. It's that bad.

FOX SPORTS 1 is so godawful and such a letdown. NFL Network is fantastic, but it's only NFL. I'm still stuck with the festering pile of dog poo poo that is ESPN for everything else, because the geniuses behind FOX SPORTS 1 have somehow managed to lower the bar.

To be fair, there is one show that I have seen that was OK - the 6pm football show. Everything else is atrocious.
I wish they had gone with some more serious daytime programming but it is kind of funny.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I thought Skip Prosser was a Wake Forest BBall coach who died a couple years ago.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So It Goes posted:

I thought Skip Prosser was a Wake Forest BBall coach who died a couple years ago.

You're right

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ever wondered how The Worldwide Leader creates and manipulates your favorite NCAA football team's schedule in an attempt to generate money, ratings, hype, and drama?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/college-footballs-most-dominant-player-its-espn.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Stanford/Oregon this year, along with the Classics to start the season, are ESPN creations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

So who are people talking about? Was Skip Prosser a notorious pundit before he got into coaching or something?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He meant Skip Bayless and made a typo that people have subsequently made fun

I mean dang, dude, there are not that many grown men going by "Skip" out there.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Only because I happened to read this thread, do I now know Fox Sports 2 exists. Is it only a non-US thing? I literally had not heard of it, no do I know where to find it. I do know that:

Speed > Fox Sports 1
Fox Soccer Plus > FXX
??? > Fox Sports 2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fuel became FS2, I believe.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Fuel became FS2, I believe.

Yep, same tiering and everything for most cable networks (read: if you don't pay for the super-sports package, you probably don't get it).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I get it on FIOS, and I have the middle package.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ever wondered how The Worldwide Leader creates and manipulates your favorite NCAA football team's schedule in an attempt to generate money, ratings, hype, and drama?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/college-footballs-most-dominant-player-its-espn.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Stanford/Oregon this year, along with the Classics to start the season, are ESPN creations.

It's hard to believe that decades ago tv was only allowed to show a couple of college games a week. This Supreme Court ruling set the stage for all the realignment/contracts we have now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_v._Board_of_Regents_of_Univ._of_Oklahoma

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well then that's a good job by ESPN because those games loving rule. So much better than everyone starting against cupcakes.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Crazy Ted posted:

gently caress yeaaaah, love me some AFL.

They just need a channel dedicated to all codes of football.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wow. :roflolmao:

I wonder how many people have no idea what AA is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"It did not make me spontaneously burst into flames" raves MourningView of Sports Argument Stadium

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Most of the AFL is still on Fox Soccer Plus though which is kind of infuriating, but they're going to milk that channel until it's dead I guess. There's...I think two or three matches listed in the next week. The thing I REALLY want on FS2 is National Rugby League.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

FuzzySkinner posted:

It'd really help if the NFL, NCAA (I know, lawsuits), MLB wouldn't be so stingy sometimes about uploading games. (Formula 1 too, though I don't think anyone in this thread gives a poo poo about that)

Look, if you're not going to air them anywhere, and it's not for profit, why bother blocking them?

I mean, if you made say, the "1986 Cleveland Browns" season available for purchase, it's not like I'd be all that hesitant to buy those up. But it's not up for purchase, and god forbid HermanFontenotfan28 uploads them, why should you complain about it?

Furthermore, you should be tracking these people down, and thanking them. A lot of the footage of old games have been deleted/lost, and it'd sure as hell be good to have a couple of amateur Steve Sabol's on hand with the tapes.

MLB should get a lot of poo poo for a lot of things, but putting baseball games on the internet is not one of them. You do have to be a subscriber, but they put up all the broadcasts for every game, all the radio broadcasts, highlight packages and condensed games. They also have like a "greatest games" section where you can just go watch incredible old baseball games. They're doing an excellent job putting the best version of their product out there so you don't have to hunt through youtube for it.

I don't disagree that the NHL and NBA have far more seriously embraced the instant highlight packaging that youtube and other upload sites allow, however.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Badfinger posted:

MLB should get a lot of poo poo for a lot of things, but putting baseball games on the internet is not one of them. You do have to be a subscriber, but they put up all the broadcasts for every game, all the radio broadcasts, highlight packages and condensed games. They also have like a "greatest games" section where you can just go watch incredible old baseball games.

:doh: Yeah, you're right. My bad.

Some really interesting news about ESPN, Turner Sports and NASCAR:

quote:

ESPN and Turner Sports are talking with NASCAR about getting out of their broadcast rights agreement a year early, a move that could allow Fox Sports and NBC Sports Group to become the sport’s broadcasters next year.

It’s unlikely that the four TV companies will be able to reach a deal, sources say. But the fact that these types of talks are occurring is precedent-setting in an industry where live sports rights are held sacred. For at least the past decade, no rights holder has exited a major media agreement with a property early.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/08/26/Media/NASCAR-TV.aspx

It's really bizarre to see this happen because I recall during the early 2000's how much of a hot commodity NASCAR rights were for all involved. To the point where FOX went all in, created a whole bunch of shows devoted to the sport on Fox Sports, and even retooled Speedvision (now FS1) to become NASCAR-centric.

Also weird because Turner Sports used to be a tremendous broadcast partner for NASCAR (one of the first actually), which had the rights for the Coca-Cola 600. Same with ESPN, who had the rights to some of NASCAR's most historic races, and could be credited with turning it into a billion dollar empire it is today.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Badfinger posted:

I don't disagree that the NHL and NBA have far more seriously embraced the instant highlight packaging that youtube and other upload sites allow, however.

On the other hand the NBA League Pass is seriously way behind MLB.tv and other services.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In a perfect world, we'd see more "debate" shows more so like OTL/Olbermann, in studio radio shows like Dan Patrick and the highlights show more like Jay and Dan for Fox Sports Live.

There's your formula.

Needless to say, I've enjoyed Olbermann thus far.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What's the NFL streaming package like? Or is that only available overseas?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I like the FS1 version of SportsCenter. Sort of a throwback to the early 90's SportsCenters where they would show highlights from all the games.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Niwrad posted:

I like the FS1 version of SportsCenter. Sort of a throwback to the early 90's SportsCenters where they would show highlights from all the games.

Fox Sports Live is really enjoyable so far, although I have to wonder if the panel segments are going to become untenable since one has to wait sometimes up to 7-9 minutes to see highlights. If they decide that's the case, it's hardly going to be worth paying Andy Roddick the money to sit and chime in once an hour. However, the highlights ARE far superior to SportsCenter. They show everything, whether it be horse racing, UFC, La Liga matches - they even had a goddamned KHL (Russia's NHL run by criminals) fight highlight.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

LordPants posted:

What's the NFL streaming package like? Or is that only available overseas?

The overseas one is spectacular. Great quality, NFL Network and Redzone, and archives. Even Redzone broadcasts are archived.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

MaoistBanker posted:

Fox Sports Live is really enjoyable so far, although I have to wonder if the panel segments are going to become untenable since one has to wait sometimes up to 7-9 minutes to see highlights. If they decide that's the case, it's hardly going to be worth paying Andy Roddick the money to sit and chime in once an hour. However, the highlights ARE far superior to SportsCenter. They show everything, whether it be horse racing, UFC, La Liga matches - they even had a goddamned KHL (Russia's NHL run by criminals) fight highlight.

The only thing I don't really like about Fox Sports Live is all the stuff they try to pack onto the screen. I guess they're trying to be different from other highlight shows, but I wouldn't mind if they went to just a "rundown" on the side and a ticker at the bottom. I can do without all the factoids and poo poo.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

BIZORT posted:

The overseas one is spectacular. Great quality, NFL Network and Redzone, and archives. Even Redzone broadcasts are archived.

It is somewhat ironic that my friends who were living in Japan and Korea had better online viewing packages than of those available for me in the states.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

I usually pay attention to Onrait and O'Toole and read during the panel poo poo. The one thing I will say for the panel is that Gabe Kapler is really, really loving good.

Gookzilla
Apr 3, 2003

Hate motivates
Slightly different type of Sports Broadcasting, but the Glickman documentary debuted last night on HBO and it was phenomenal. A lot of his story has been well documented, but the sheer volume of prominent figures who volunteered to contribute their thoughts about him is what really makes the piece and gives you an understanding of just how important and innovative Glickman was.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

Jon Ourand posted:

Overnights (rounded to single digit) from 11pm-midnight last night: SportsCenter (0.6), Olbermann (0.4) Fox Sports Live (0.0).

I don't know a whole huge ton about overnights ratings/calculations, even after working in TV for a few years. But I DO know you really don't want a 0.0.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

warheadr posted:

I don't know a whole huge ton about overnights ratings/calculations, even after working in TV for a few years. But I DO know you really don't want a 0.0.

This proves that Fox has a long way to go, if for anything else, the typical person is used to putting on ESPN (and related networks) by default.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

warheadr posted:

It happens: http://deadspin.com/espn-news-and-nba-tv-both-aired-shows-two-weeks-ago-tha-452317414

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

FuzzySkinner posted:

In a perfect world, we'd see more "debate" shows more so like OTL/Olbermann, in studio radio shows like Dan Patrick and the highlights show more like Jay and Dan for Fox Sports Live.

There's your formula.

Needless to say, I've enjoyed Olbermann thus far.

Has Olbermann turned down the smugness at all? That's the main reason I stopped paying attention to anything he's been doing over the past few years.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Vertical Lime posted:

This proves that Fox has a long way to go, if for anything else, the typical person is used to putting on ESPN (and related networks) by default.

FS1 is 10 days old. The fact people are even discussing it as an eventual potential challenger to ESPN is already a huge success for FOX.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The video posted earlier in the thread where the announcers read various Tweets was pretty funny, but for the love of all that is holy FS1, please do not integrate Twitter into your shows to the point where guests/hosts have to come up with their own "clever" hashtags for things. Twitter is fine for breaking news and things like that but ESPN over uses it sooooooooooo loving much and it is awful.

It is comical to hear 50 and 60 year old men try and act like they know what Twitter is, though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

haljordan posted:

Has Olbermann turned down the smugness at all? That's the main reason I stopped paying attention to anything he's been doing over the past few years.

No but I thought it was decently harnessed last night. Smug but in a less douchebag way.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

It seems like every tv program now has some sort of twitter reminder. They're just going with the flow.

As for what constituted a 0.0 for the time in question:

Steve Lepore posted:

Last night at 11 ET: SportsCenter - 633,000 viewers, Olbermann - 319,000, FS Live - 44,000. 147,000 of Keith's viewers were in 18-49s.

Fox Sports Live did double its audience to 99,000 at midnight, worth noting.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

What got me into ESPN in the first place was that it was a dumb sports network that didn't take itself seriously. If any other challenger did this then I'd put it on and leave it on in the background at home almost all of the time like I did as a teenager in the 90s with ESPN

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Vertical Lime posted:

It seems like every tv program now has some sort of twitter reminder. They're just going with the flow.

As for what constituted a 0.0 for the time in question:

The fact that FS1 doubled it's audience from 11 to midnight is a good enough sign. They weren't going to crush SportsCenter right out of the gate. They're doing fine so far.

If we're still looking at 633,000-44,000 in SportsCenter's favor in 6 months though, then you can start talking failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Fox Sports knows its not going to dethrone ESPN any time soon. I've talked to a friend who works at Fox Sports right now. It's a marathon not a race and they're still definitely working the kinks out of shows and figuring out what people respond to.