Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Levitate posted:

edit: basically you want *something* underneath you that provides insulation and isn't being compressed to the point of uselessness by your body weight

Yeah this is key. I use a 3/4 length foam pad under me and my sleeping bag as a quilt with a foot box. But I also don't sleep in my hammock in very cold weather. If he has a backyard or porch he should do a couple test nights with a hammock and his pad to see if it will fit well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My brother-in-law just finished his AT through hike today, must be pretty weird to go back to "normal" life after all summer on the trail

If anyone is/was on the trail and ran into a short guy with a huge red beard named Roadrunner, that was him. Pulled out some 30 mile days at the end to fInish on time apparently

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

krispykremessuck posted:

I wouldn't get one for something like that, but if you're in the market, I'd recommend the McMurdo FastFind 406 PLB. Someone said something about weight, and that's not really the issue. High quality PLBs are expensive as hell, but they'll be worth it that one time.

I wouldn't worry about having a PLB along unless I was roping up for glacier travel or going on a major expedition into backcountry.

That's what I'm thinking. I've been on trips where I was off-trail and at least 4 days from any roads, so another guy I was with brought a sat-phone and a PLB.

Without a PLB the worst case scenario would involve sending someone for help (max 2 days), or trying to get cell reception at the top of a mountain.

Thanks for the recommendation.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Scottw330 posted:

That's what I'm thinking. I've been on trips where I was off-trail and at least 4 days from any roads, so another guy I was with brought a sat-phone and a PLB.

Without a PLB the worst case scenario would involve sending someone for help (max 2 days), or trying to get cell reception at the top of a mountain.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Take a course in wilderness navigation, and get a decent GPS and bring extra batteries. You can kind of forego the wilderness nav course if you have at least a GPS and know how to use it AND aren't planning off-trail excursions. It's really easy to lose you way in the hills/mountains, especially if you're dozens of miles in.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Levitate posted:

I just bought an Enlightened Equipment RevX, but haven't used it (have a trip coming in 2 weeks that I'll use it on), but from everything I've read they review really well and are great for the price. That said, the price is going up in September because of rising material costs

Basically the idea is that with sleeping bags, the insulation that you sleep on (the bottom of the bag) is actually pretty much useless because you're compressing all of the down (or synthetic insulation) and you don't get any insulation when it's compressed. So a quilt does away with the bottom part and is ultimately a little more flexible because you can regulate temperature more easily, move it around, etc. You get all of your insulation from the ground through your sleeping pad, and most quilts have a strap system that go under your pad and hold it in place

upsides, usually lighter because it's less material, and they can be had for cheaper, more versatile because you can leave it like a blanket, or close the footbox and use it more like a bag and attach it to your pad. Downsides, sometimes you can get drafts if you haven't worked out the system to hold it in place, and they don't have a hood either.

So, bags can be better for really cold temps or if you just like being really really snug in your bag. Quilts can be better if you move around a lot, want more versatility, etc

I was coming ask about this. I move a around a lot, by morning I'm usually at least half off my sleeping pad. I also tend to over heat, my bag more often than not all or most of the way open. Years ago I bought an extra long mummy bag so I could have extra leg room, but still find it pretty restrictive. I should have just gotten a regular bag, now I'm thinking about one of these.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Well I'm leaving for Wyoming on Saturday so in two weeks I'll let you know how it works!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

Take a course in wilderness navigation, and get a decent GPS and bring extra batteries. You can kind of forego the wilderness nav course if you have at least a GPS and know how to use it AND aren't planning off-trail excursions. It's really easy to lose you way in the hills/mountains, especially if you're dozens of miles in.

Also learn how to use a map and compass. And use them. Batteries run out, poo poo breaks.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Anybody know if Marmot makes good tents? My dad's old LL Bean tent I've been using finally bit the dust :sigh:

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

tofes posted:

Anybody know if Marmot makes good tents? My dad's old LL Bean tent I've been using finally bit the dust :sigh:

I have a 12 year old Equinox that has seen a fair amount of use including two Two week stretches on the AT, one with a big dog. Its heavy as hell by todays standards, but I can put it up by myself in less than two min in the dark. It has a ton of mesh which I like and the rain fly goes all the way to the ground. I would happily buy another one. I would still be using it if my gf didn't demand a larger tent.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dukket posted:

I have a 12 year old Equinox that has seen a fair amount of use including two Two week stretches on the AT, one with a big dog. Its heavy as hell by todays standards, but I can put it up by myself in less than two min in the dark. It has a ton of mesh which I like and the rain fly goes all the way to the ground. I would happily buy another one. I would still be using it if my gf didn't demand a larger tent.

Yeah, I haven't actually owned a marmot tent but knowing their reputation and their warranty I'd say you probably can't go wrong with any product from Marmot.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I decided not to go with the Marmot since it only has a door on one side, and then I found out my mom has a LL Bean gift card she doesn't want so I think I'm gonna go with one of their tents http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72837?feat=1096-GN2&page=microlight-fs-2-person-tent&attrValue_0=Pewter&productId=1217293

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

tofes posted:

I decided not to go with the Marmot since it only has a door on one side, and then I found out my mom has a LL Bean gift card she doesn't want so I think I'm gonna go with one of their tents http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72837?feat=1096-GN2&page=microlight-fs-2-person-tent&attrValue_0=Pewter&productId=1217293
Looks a whole lot like a rebadged Big Agnes Copper Spur, but I don't know of Big Agnes doing that sort of thing. Who knows if it's of similar quality.

Some of the hardware is different upon close inspection, but it's obviously an inspiration.

IceColdFreezie
Aug 24, 2013

I HAEN THE LOERST
Nothing super crazy, but I bushwhacked to the top which was fun.
Thunder Mountain near Kirkwood, CA

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

tofes posted:

A buddy has one of these and it's only been car camping, but did shrug off a 5 minute hail storm with decent gusts. We also both brought our own tents, but it looked like 2 people would be very friendly inside, especially in the foot end. Reasonable vestibules on both sides though.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Climbed Lost River Peak today, sixth tallest mountain in Idaho, my 12th mountain summitted this summer.

It had the most godawful scree field I've encountered all year. Several times I'd take a step only to end up back where I started or sometimes further back. The one redeemable thing about it was being able to haul rear end down that slope.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I just did 10 miles in toe shoes, through dirt and rocks. No socks, those non-treaded toe shoes. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

If I were to get a dedicated pair of toe shoes for hiking, which would be recommended?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Dukket posted:

I was coming ask about this. I move a around a lot, by morning I'm usually at least half off my sleeping pad. I also tend to over heat, my bag more often than not all or most of the way open. Years ago I bought an extra long mummy bag so I could have extra leg room, but still find it pretty restrictive. I should have just gotten a regular bag, now I'm thinking about one of these.

I own and use an EE RevolutionX. I love mine--so adaptable to temperature and the way I sleep. Search this thread for "quilt" and you'll find a number of posts discussing the pros and cons of backpacking quilts. You sound like you'd be a prime candidate for a quilt, based on your post. Interestingly, I tend to stay on my pad better with a quilt; I think it has something to do with (depending on how loosely I'm bundled) being able to simply stick my leg out if I'm asleep and hot, instead of kicking around inside a bag and pulling it off the pad.

If you think you'll be doing any below-freezing camping, you should keep the long mummy bag. Not only do they work better than quilts at low temps (due to the hood and closed body/footbox), but the extra length is great for sleeping with gas canisters, batteries, gloves, socks, etc., to dry them out and keep them warm. Inner boots, too, if you're mountaineering or skiing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend a trail in Estes park that won't be packed with tourists.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

I own and use an EE RevolutionX. I love mine--so adaptable to temperature and the way I sleep. Search this thread for "quilt" and you'll find a number of posts discussing the pros and cons of backpacking quilts. You sound like you'd be a prime candidate for a quilt, based on your post. Interestingly, I tend to stay on my pad better with a quilt; I think it has something to do with (depending on how loosely I'm bundled) being able to simply stick my leg out if I'm asleep and hot, instead of kicking around inside a bag and pulling it off the pad.

If you think you'll be doing any below-freezing camping, you should keep the long mummy bag. Not only do they work better than quilts at low temps (due to the hood and closed body/footbox), but the extra length is great for sleeping with gas canisters, batteries, gloves, socks, etc., to dry them out and keep them warm. Inner boots, too, if you're mountaineering or skiing.

I hadn't really thought about the confinement of my bag as the reason for slipping off my pad, but that makes sense. Thank you, that was a helpful post.

My sister is a master seamstress and quilter, I'm half tempted to show her some pictures and see if she'd be willing to try her hand at it. Most of her gifts to me over the last 15 or 20 years have been hand made and I have enough quilts, throws, blankets and pillows for a lifetime, perhaps for camping gear is in order :)

QUESTION: We're headed to the Porkies (Western UP) in early Oct for some car camping, does anyone have a favorite camp ground or trails? I would like to hit the NCST - there is something like 23 miles of it in the park with several entry points.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I just did 10 miles in toe shoes, through dirt and rocks. No socks, those non-treaded toe shoes. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

If I were to get a dedicated pair of toe shoes for hiking, which would be recommended?

You could just call them Vibrams or FiveFingers you know. And the Spyridon are the hiking version of those.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Call them Five Fingers. Vibram is a rubber company.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Levitate posted:

My brother-in-law just finished his AT through hike today, must be pretty weird to go back to "normal" life after all summer on the trail

If anyone is/was on the trail and ran into a short guy with a huge red beard named Roadrunner, that was him. Pulled out some 30 mile days at the end to fInish on time apparently

I hike 2 years ago, he is probably in for a period of depression and mopieness while he realizes that the real world sucks compared to the trail.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation for an iOS app that reads .gpx files?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'd recommend more of me. I'm the greatest. Maybe wear toe socks too because otherwise your feet will stink.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

Speleothing posted:

Call them Five Fingers. Vibram is a rubber company.

And it's pronounced "Veeb-ram", not "Vibe-ram" (though unless you work in footwear you probably say it the wrong way and it won't affect your life in the slightest.)

tofes posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an iOS app that reads .gpx files?

Motion-X GPS - it's only a couple bucks, can cache maps for offline use, read and create GPX files and even offers realtime google maps-based tracking for friends / family (like you find on the SPOT beacons) as long as you have a cell signal. It's one of the best and most used apps I have ever purchased.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Anyone here familiar with Pine Creek Gorge, aka the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?
If so, can anyone recommend a 2-3 day trail?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Ropes4u posted:

Can anyone recommend a trail in Estes park that won't be packed with tourists.

This is probably too late if you were looking for somewhere to go yesterday, but head down Hwy 7 to Wild Basin. Some great hikes with water features there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

beefnoodle posted:

This is probably too late if you were looking for somewhere to go yesterday, but head down Hwy 7 to Wild Basin. Some great hikes with water features there.

Agreed. This is where I was on my trip a few weeks ago. Its only about a 30 minute drive at most to the WIld Basin area from Estes park, and its a pretty beautiful part of the park while being somewhat empty (relatively compared to the rest of the park)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Speaking of Wild Basin, that's where I spent part of my weekend. On Saturday, I hiked up to Thunder Lake where I camped and did some fishing. On Sunday, I hiked up to Lake of Many Winds, scrambled up to Boulder Grand Pass (Continental Divide), then continued down and west to Grand Lake. I'd never been on the west side of the park, other than driving through on Trail Ridge Road. The climb up to the pass and bushwhacking through downed trees to get to the East Inlet trail were pretty tough, but it was a very rewarding hike.

The pass from the Lake of Many Winds, about 400' above me:

A small album here: http://imgur.com/a/ulP9g/all

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

Speaking of Wild Basin, that's where I spent part of my weekend. On Saturday, I hiked up to Thunder Lake where I camped and did some fishing. On Sunday, I hiked up to Lake of Many Winds, scrambled up to Boulder Grand Pass (Continental Divide), then continued down and west to Grand Lake. I'd never been on the west side of the park, other than driving through on Trail Ridge Road. The climb up to the pass and bushwhacking through downed trees to get to the East Inlet trail were pretty tough, but it was a very rewarding hike.

The pass from the Lake of Many Winds, about 400' above me:

A small album here: http://imgur.com/a/ulP9g/all

I was just there, but I'm way too lazy to get to my photos. Also, the last time I went to RMNP I took hundreds of photos with my big DLSR, this time I only took about 50 photos tops because it was raining a lot, a pain in the rear end to keep pulling it out, and when we hiked up to Boulder Grand Pass, I didn't want the extra weight but I will upload my gopro videos of the scramble up.

Its a fun and sort of grueling scramble up that loose poo poo but the view from BGP is awesome.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

i_heart_ponies posted:

And it's pronounced "Veeb-ram", not "Vibe-ram" (though unless you work in footwear you probably say it the wrong way and it won't affect your life in the slightest.)

Motion-X GPS - it's only a couple bucks, can cache maps for offline use, read and create GPX files and even offers realtime google maps-based tracking for friends / family (like you find on the SPOT beacons) as long as you have a cell signal. It's one of the best and most used apps I have ever purchased.

Awesome, thanks!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

i_heart_ponies posted:

Can anyone recommend something similar for Android?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

Can anyone recommend something similar for Android?

I tried a few different offline map apps for droid and then just realized that I was getting terrible battery life, the gps was really spotty, and I eventually just went out and bout a $200 Garmin Etrex unit.

Some of those apps can be nice for short walks or whatever, but I would never rely on it. Between the spotty GPS signals and battery drain, I found that my battery would be dead before the end of a decently long day hike.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Using a cached GPS map on a phone is great for traveling into the backcountry in your car, but it'll die pretty quickly in the field. You could pick up a solar battery recharger, but it'd still be pretty inefficient.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

tofes posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Motion-X is really a pretty rad app... now if only the iPhone5 battery life was better than like 4 hours with location services enabled life would be pretty good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Any recommendation on breathable waterproof pants? I plan on using them for winter camping but if possible in the summer during storms too if at all possible.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been happy with gps essentials for android, but generally use a garmin. It lets you do offline maps.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

tofes posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Motion-X is really a pretty rad app... now if only the iPhone5 battery life was better than like 4 hours with location services enabled life would be pretty good.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Verman posted:

I tried a few different offline map apps for droid and then just realized that I was getting terrible battery life, the gps was really spotty, and I eventually just went out and bout a $200 Garmin Etrex unit.

Some of those apps can be nice for short walks or whatever, but I would never rely on it. Between the spotty GPS signals and battery drain, I found that my battery would be dead before the end of a decently long day hike.

Kaal posted:

Using a cached GPS map on a phone is great for traveling into the backcountry in your car, but it'll die pretty quickly in the field. You could pick up a solar battery recharger, but it'd still be pretty inefficient.

Yeah I was thinking more for checking my location periodically (double checking versus map navigation). Phone would be off most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I use my phone the same way. Only gets turned on if I'm totally unsure about something. It's fine.