Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I dunno, they padded the gently caress out of this last episode. But I guess 6 more episodes is a good chunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
Theres also the fact that action scenes take up less time when animated than dialogue. I would have liked the anime to end with the introduction of Monkey Trouble/Mike dying just for some extra wtf, but it seems that the chances for that happening are pretty much 0.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yeah, you can tell they're aiming for the Annie capture and wall reveal as the end point. The pacing seems just about right.

Edit: Jesus just had to triple check I wasn't in the Anime thread.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I have a really dumb question, but i am trying to read this manga on my tablet (first time) using the site linked in the OP and it is a nightmare. Is there somewhere i can buy/get the translated manga and just download it as an ebook?

coathat
May 21, 2007

You can buy it for the kindle, nook, and iBook apps.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

coathat posted:

You can buy it for the kindle, nook, and iBook apps.

I am ether an idiot but i don't see it anywhere on the Kindle store, attack on titan, and Shingeki no Kyojin show up with no results.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Here's the kindle edition of the first volume: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CCOO1HA

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

UberJumper posted:

I am ether an idiot but i don't see it anywhere on the Kindle store, attack on titan, and Shingeki no Kyojin show up with no results.

I tried searching the Kindle books section of the Amazon US site with "Attack on Titan" and it came up with results. Here's a link to the first volume. I could also see it when searching the Amazon UK Kindle store.

Edit: Ah, beaten to it.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Autumncomet posted:

Here's the kindle edition of the first volume: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CCOO1HA

Gives me an error with "This site does not currently support the purchase of this item."

Van Dine posted:

I tried searching the Kindle books section of the Amazon US site with "Attack on Titan" and it came up with results. Here's a link to the first volume. I could also see it when searching the Amazon UK Kindle store.

Edit: Ah, beaten to it.

I tried this, but when i go to buy it, it says "Item not avaliable for this device type." And lists my android tablet.

*EDIT* Fixed it bought first Volume from Amazon. Is there supposed to be a blank page following each page of the comic? I don't see this on mangareader's version.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 25, 2013

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

PowFu posted:

Theres also the fact that action scenes take up less time when animated than dialogue. I would have liked the anime to end with the introduction of Monkey Trouble/Mike dying just for some extra wtf, but it seems that the chances for that happening are pretty much 0.

With a bit of editing we could still get that.

21 Eren loses Round one to the Female Titan

22 Annie focused opening and the springing of the trap, time gets eaten up by Eren's indecision and ends on him biting his hand.

23 Eren vs Annie round 2, end on Wall Titan

24 Annie, Wall Cult fallout, news of Wall Rosa falling hits, we end on the Christa Historia reveal (maybe don't keep that hidden for so long to build suspense)

25 Wall Rosa "falls", Titans attack, end on monkey Titan looming over the commander.

That's at least how I'd love for this to all go down, I don't really think they could easily stretch the Annie titan fight out for 5 more episodes.

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
I was thinking they'd end episode 21 or 22 on the cliffhanger of Armin (or was it Mikasa?) calling out Annie on being the female titan to her the face. It'd be agitating enough for everyone to wait a week for.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm guessing something like

21 end of fight
22 Another chatty episode for debriefing and planning poo poo
23 More chatter, end with Eren, Mikasa and Annie's little walk
24 Fight again
25 End fight and wall titan reveal.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
If they really wanted some padding, they could shuffle a few things around and address the wall cult before the wallbro shows up. In the manga they were just kind of there in the background as your obligatory Catholics, until the reveal.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I'm guessing something like

21 end of fight
22 Another chatty episode for debriefing and planning poo poo
23 More chatter, end with Eren, Mikasa and Annie's little walk
24 Fight again
25 End fight and wall titan reveal.

21- Titan Fights Team Levi
22- Eren Fights Annie, Mikasa saves him, though that could extend to the next episode
23- Chatty debriefing
24- Tense chatty
25- Big fight
26- End of big fight, Annie captured, Wall Titan reveal

anime seasons tend to be 13 or 26 episodes so we have an extra episode to work with

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 30, 2017

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

If they really wanted some padding, they could shuffle a few things around and address the wall cult before the wallbro shows up. In the manga they were just kind of there in the background as your obligatory Catholics, until the reveal.

I think this would be a good choice. They've already shuffled around some things, and moving the discussion of the wall cult would definitely help to establish that plot thread a bit better.

Actually, they might end with wall Rose being breached, that seemed like a more dramatic point in hindsight.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

of bees posted:

Actually, they might end with wall Rose being breached, that seemed like a more dramatic point in hindsight.
I'm kind of hoping they can mush chapters 33 and 34 together to get both cliffhangers in the last episode.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm hoping they get 34 in just to head off the Reiner and Bert are titans speculation. The way it ends seems to "clear" them.

Also, I just want to say that last night I had a dream about AoT and suddenly it all made sense; the titans in the wall, the sasquatch titan, the wall cult; I figured out how it all went together. Then I woke up and now I can't remember. I'm sure it was some crazy thing that only made sense in dreams but boy it's annoying to not be able to remember.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's already been confirmed to be 25 episodes (and apparently an Ilse Langner OVA).

Who's that? Is she the one that a Titan mistook for Ymir?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

Who's that? Is she the one that a Titan mistook for Ymir?

Yes.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's already been confirmed to be 25 episodes (and apparently an Ilse Langner OVA). And while we're at it,

21 - Levi Team fight + First part of Titan-on-Titan smack-tion
22 - Second part of Titan-on-Titan smack-tion + Mikasa and Levi fight
23 - Tense chatty + Eren's hesitation
24 - Eren's hesitation/Debrief flashback + final fight and Wall Titan
25 - Breather debrief + cliffhanger that's rather poor in retrospect

I wish they'd have gone for 24 episodes, because that could've shaved an episode off the end of the Trost arc. And while the Wall Titan reveal would be a great cliffhanger, they'd really have to stretch out the pacing for it.

Oh ok then

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

onepixeljumpman posted:

Not Isayama. If they take it wholesale from the LN, its written by Ryo Suzukaze, the guy who apparently created the original concept for Demonbane. Isayama's only credited for original concept.

Darth Walrus posted:

So higher odds on weird fanservice, then?

Ryo Suzukaze only wrote a Demonbane OVA. Demonbane was created by Nitro+ and was mainly written by Jin Haganeya, who incidentally IS one of the three Nitro+ guys writing some bonuses included with some of the BD releases of the anime (with artwork by Namaniku ATK who drew the end card for episode 17).

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Whoops, my mistake. Accidentally flipped "original story" and "original work." If Japanese Wikipedia is leading me right, Suzukaze specifically wrote a novel version of the first Demonbane game, and Haganeya gets "original work" credited for that.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I just remembered that when The Angriest Titan was getting cannibalized in Trost, Ernie and Annie were the first to suggest helping it. Man, the little touches. :3:

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

I just remembered that when The Angriest Titan was getting cannibalized in Trost, Ernie and Annie were the first to suggest helping it. Man, the little touches. :3:

Read through the manga again and you'll notice that Bert, Ernie and Annie are practically glued to each other's sides and a lot of their dialogue has extra meaning.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Azzents posted:

Read through the manga again and you'll notice that Bert, Ernie and Annie are practically glued to each other's sides and a lot of their dialogue has extra meaning.

Yeah, I noticed this alot while watching the anime after having read through the manga.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013
I'm not sure how the timing works out but I imagine that the end of season cliffhanger is going to be that the wall maria(?) has been breached rather than ending on "THERE'S DUDES IN THE WALLS"

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked

Winky posted:

Yeah, I think a big part of it was that Annie failed to capture Eren and now that she was found out and Ymir revealed herself as well it was only a matter of time until they were found out too (that graduating class was about to go under a metric gently caress-ton of scrutiny). They were basically in the best position they were ever going to be to steal Eren (already standing right on the edge of titan territory). Even if it weren't for the fact that Reiner has already been shown to be kind of mentally broken off from reality, they might as well have tried to get Eren to come quietly before transforming and just taking him even if it was incredibly unlikely to work.

I mean, let's face it, it's kind of a good deal. "We won't shatter the remaining walls and make humanity go extinct if you just come with us", I'd take that trade. Granted, Eren had absolutely no reason to take them on their word whatsoever and is also commonly consumed by incomprehensible rage and regularly shown to be highly irrational.

I don't think they know Annie got busted yet. According to their conversation they talk about leaving the walls with her, which would be kind of hard with her in a cell encased in crystal.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Finally caught up with the thread. Unless this is a poor translation, I don't understand why there is any confusion over Ymir eating a (titan?)-human causing her to regain sentience/transformation (from the last release):
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/6
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/7

(Paraphrasing)
Bottom of page 6: She ate Berik, right?
Top of page 7: But, precisely because of that her position is obvious. She was able to become human again.

From the current issue:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/48/18
Stealing the "Titan's Power" from their comrades. Depending on what she means by a "long time" this could be the recent ability to transform or her original transformation. I'm leaning more towards her saying she originally became a titan by stealing their titan power... which would tie in with the "failing to remember" when transforming conversation, but it doesn't explain why her titan form is so twisted. It doesn't mean that Bert and Ernie have to be really old - their comrades don't have to be their current pals - just their team.

Something that didn't seem to be mentioned much was that certain titans could function at night - those apparently made by Sasquatch - and certain ones could not. It seems to me that there are "natural" titans and "artificial" titans... maybe all of the artificial ones were from the "titan's power" and lost control, or... it's a bit hard to come up with a full workable theory, but there's definitely a clue in the night-time functioning statement (this was back during the attack on Utgard, I believe, although I don't have the chapter at hand).

In any case, now I have to agonize like everyone else for more installments.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

thegodofchuck posted:

Finally caught up with the thread. Unless this is a poor translation, I don't understand why there is any confusion over Ymir eating a (titan?)-human causing her to regain sentience/transformation (from the last release):
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/6
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/7

(Paraphrasing)
Bottom of page 6: She ate Berik, right?
Top of page 7: But, precisely because of that her position is obvious. She was able to become human again.

It's not so clear-cut if you include the full text of what Bert says. To my eyes, he brings up Berik as a reason not to trust Ymir, as an example of how dangerous she is. Can we trust her -> She could kill us -> And isn't she the one who killed our friend?

(The full exchange)
Bert: Reiner... Do you really trust Ymir? Her titan is small, but incredibly fast. If we don't restrain her properly, she could probably defeat us in an instant. ...... Actually... she... ate Berik, didn't she?

Reiner: Exactly. But... precisely because of that, her position is obvious. She was finally able to become human again, she must have just wanted to play her cards right and live, right? Until she met Christa... She met someone she considered more important than herself... enough to go flying into a swarm of titans for her sake.

The latter part of Ernie's lines are pretty clear as answering Bert's question of trust. When she became human she just wanted to stay in hiding and live -> Until she met Christa and was willing to risk her life for her -> So we can trust her because we both want Christa safe.

That tricky first part though, I'll give you that it could turn out just as you say. Another interpretation: Yes she's the one who killed him -> But because of that she had to go into hiding or she'd be killed -> Christa etc.

This is a lot of analysis for a few lines, but unless I'm mistaken it's what the whole theory stands on, so it's worth looking at closely. My verdict: I don't know, and I don't think we're supposed to know yet. This'll only be settled in future chapters.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
My issue is if a regular titan can become a shifter by eating one why didn't we have Shifter Jerry Garcia instead of Eren? Compared to the licensed copies the manga scanlators do an absolutely poo poo job so I'll wait for confirmation on that line.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elotana posted:

My issue is if a regular titan can become a shifter by eating one why didn't we have Shifter Jerry Garcia instead of Eren? Compared to the licensed copies the manga scanlators do an absolutely poo poo job so I'll wait for confirmation on that line.

Maybe we did? :tinfoil:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elotana posted:

Jerry Garcia gave birth and got stomped on like a few minutes after devouring Eren.

I don't think devouring other titans returns it to human form. I think it's just a power you have to learn to control. Eren's father specifically said that your titan powers are something you can master, and Eren already had a nightmare dream state like Ymir that Armin broke him out of without needing to devour anything. But then, that could have been what the injection was for.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 27, 2013

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Elotana posted:

I think - if we suppose eating a shifter lets a titan regain their humanity - that the devouring part has to kill the shifter, and Eren didn't die. But that is a lot of supposition. Whoever it was that said this reminds them of Lost was dead on, at least in terms of the insane speculation. I'm still in awe of all the awesome hidden clues, it's so nice to see a plan in place.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I wonder if Bert's power is dissipating, because I haven't seen him transform properly in some time, even when he was on the wall it was incomplete like Eren's cannonball block™, and he keeps asking Reiner if he's still a warrior? Like there are classes of titans. Perhaps he's losing his Colossal Titan ability, and Eren is gaining ( I can't remember if Titan-Eren has eaten any Titans?). Maybe destroying mankind is no longer necessary for them because Eren can gain strength without eating people, would fit with Ymir's level up after eating Reiner and Bert's bro.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I don't think it's a huge stretch to assume that whatever Eren's dad did to him is completely different from how the other titan shifters get their power, which is probably the reason they want to capture him so badly. I don't think Bert and Ernie are dumb enough to really believe he will want to be on their side after they talk to him for a while, so what other explanation could there be?

Toadsniff posted:

I wonder if Bert's power is dissipating, because I haven't seen him transform properly in some time, even when he was on the wall it was incomplete like Eren's cannonball block™, and he keeps asking Reiner if he's still a warrior? Like there are classes of titans. Perhaps he's losing his Colossal Titan ability, and Eren is gaining ( I can't remember if Titan-Eren has eaten any Titans?). Maybe destroying mankind is no longer necessary for them because Eren can gain strength without eating people, would fit with Ymir's level up after eating Reiner and Bert's bro.

The colossal titan is like a siege engine, it's basically immobile because of it's size/weight which is why it's primary defense is the steam, if it tried fighting like other titans it would be a sitting duck, that's why Bert hasn't transformed since the wall.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 27, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Toadsniff posted:

Well- Bert was on top of the wall, he wasn't in a very good space to get the full length of his titan form- and I mean let's face it he didn't need his legs at that point. Maybe he's just so heavy he can't walk at all. When he asks Reiner if he's a Warrior I'm pretty sure he's asking what mental state he's in.

Reiner's guilt has shattered his mental stability and he's become the mask. When Reiner is a soldier he's an ally of the recon corps and when he's a warrior he's an enemy of mankind. If you read through the chapters you'll notice that Bert has a "What are you doing?!" face directed toward Reiner when he's being inspiring or friendly toward his comrades.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c038/8.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c038/9.html

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 27, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Another spinoff manga got announced. This one's supposed to focus on Levi's backstory. It's being written by one of Nitro+'s spinoff/adaptation guys and will run in a shoujo magazine.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Another spinoff manga got announced. This one's supposed to focus on Levi's backstory. It's being written by one of Nitro+'s spinoff/adaptation guys and will run in a shoujo magazine.

This series is being milked to death before we even get to Eren's basement, good grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jonjonaug posted:

If it's run in a shoujo magazine, this means that the story will involve a love / romance element. Given that this is set in the world of Shingeki no Kyojin, I surmise that Levi's backstory is that he used to have a boyfriend or girlfriend who ended up being eaten by a Titan.