Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shai-Hulud posted:

Ive seen this on a car for a charity rally. On one of the RWD Volvos. 740 or 940 or something like that. They drove it from Germany to Jordan and then gave it away to someone down there who needed a car but couldn't afford one.
That seems cruel to me. "Hey guys, keep buying tennis balls."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This auction sponsored by Penn.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

It was a powertorque nfw1050. No vibrations, went together like cake, fit perfectly, drove well, then the first time it got stressed, it went everywhere.

That looks like a Sachs part number. Is Powertorque the name brand of the whole kit or just the clutch separately?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Not so bad compared to the recent stuff here, but I just went to see if the air filter in this car I just got needed the crap blown out of it and uhhh...

I guess it's time for a new one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This is the one time the "increase your horsepower by up to 20% by changing your air filter!" claims made by Iffy lube may be accurate.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Jesus I thought that was a cracked brake pad or something at first glance.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It looks like you smooshed your face into it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Where the gently caress was this when I was looking for an avatar?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
P0171, you say?

:stonk:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

zundfolge posted:

P0171, you say?

:stonk:

It looks like a Volvo brownie :stonk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gently caress.

No engine damage, but it won't keep time thanks to that crack.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 25, 2013

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
The button on my stickshift lever shot out of the housing in my '94 Thunderbird. After taking it apart, I soon found out why:

Here's what the back looks like unbroken, for reference:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I can only surmise that this was some type of fuel system failure. The car looks like it was recently restored and doesn't have tags. I just saw this 15 minutes ago on I-10 westbound in Baton Rouge.

The fire truck was just getting there as I rolled past so I hope the driver was ok.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Paul Boz_ posted:

I can only surmise that this was some type of fuel system failure. The car looks like it was recently restored and doesn't have tags. I just saw this 15 minutes ago on I-10 westbound in Baton Rouge.

The fire truck was just getting there as I rolled past so I hope the driver was ok.

drat, I actually like those too....

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hate seeing a nice elco die :(

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

thylacine posted:

I guess that's one way to do... something.

I have seen those screw type OEM jacks fail on multiple occasions. If they get the smallest bit of twist to them then they turn and collapse. This is likely to happen if you have any incline and you did not expect the car to start pushing on the jack. They are very dangerous.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Citycop posted:

I have seen those screw type OEM jacks fail on multiple occasions. If they get the smallest bit of twist to them then they turn and collapse. This is likely to happen if you have any incline and you did not expect the car to start pushing on the jack. They are very dangerous.

but looking at it- its square to the ground and looks wound all the way down. Either the jackscrew nut failed, or they've deliberately lowered it down like that.

Or theres another jack under there somewhere!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Or the owner fully epitomizes that license plate.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Ferremit posted:

but looking at it- its square to the ground and looks wound all the way down. Either the jackscrew nut failed, or they've deliberately lowered it down like that.

Or theres another jack under there somewhere!

I'm thinking they lowered it so it didn't fall over.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Just passed a beater sitting in the suicide lane with a cop car parked behind it, lights flashing, and three teenagers on the side of the road looking somewhat unhappy.

Didn't get a picture but the right front wheel was turned over 90 degrees and shoved back into the wheel well. Must have been a pretty scary moment...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On the way to work I saw a softroader (think it was a mitsi outlander) that was stuck on one of those two-foot boulders they use to stop people driving on the grass. One of the front wheels was in the air. I have no idea how they managed to gently caress up coming out onto the road so badly that they wandered all the way into the grass median AND mounted this giant fuckoff rock.

Depressingly this is the second time I've seen this in the vicinity of my work. loving Auckland.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

:psyduck:

Goddamn that is catastrophic.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
What was that? Looks like a wet-sleeve diesel dropped a valve.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

flacoman954 posted:

Porsche GT2: Aftermarket Turbo dweeb... Pegged out his MAF and leaned out ... to the point where it pushed combustion out the sleeve, out the block, and almost through the body of the car.

Imgur album of destruction: http://imgur.com/a/v8QIf#3

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

flacoman954 posted:

According to /justrolledintotheshop its from a Porsche GT2

e. hah.. welp.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Broke down the motor on my WRX today. The rod bearing on the left was ok, the other 3 were not so happy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Paul Boz_ posted:

:psyduck:

Goddamn that is catastrophic.

Gasses just wanna break free.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

flacoman954 posted:

Yeah I was all, "Ah, just drop in another piston/sleeve kit and call it good!" Then I noticed the head gasket had three holes and got confused.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had a HG do that, but it was just a crummy fiber/composite gasket in an engine that's known for pooping out gaskets, not a quality MLS gasket in a good engine. #6 cylinder (on an I6) spat out the gasket and suddenly all I could hear through my earplugs was the deafening hammering of 22:1 compression ratio and a turbo the size of my head stuffing air and diesel through the hole directly onto the firewall.

I think I've posted the pic before, but here it is:

Also, have a copper head gasket failure from a funny car: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cadillac_v16/4486767932/

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Re:T hat Mazda I posted was back on the road the next day with normal wheels, so I guess it didn't hurt anything.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

E36 diff bolt. It was 10.9, so it looks like it has been replaced before. Guess I'll go with 12.9 and get the bushing replaced.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 29, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crustashio posted:

E36 diff bolt. It was 10.9, so it looks like it has been replaced before. Guess I'll go with 12.9 and get the bushing replaced.

At least it isn't the e28/34 medium case design where the front bolts come down though the diff and you have to undo with a spanner because there's only a few inches of clearance to the body.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
so this happened

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Sudo Echo posted:

This album has convinced me to never, ever ever consider buying an Audi product. Timing chain madness.

Crustashio posted:

so this happened

Try again

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
VREEEEEEWHOMPCRASH

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Sudo Echo posted:

Wow, I missed this first pass, that W12 :gonk: and 4 timing chains?? what the gently caress, VAG?

otaku69
May 18, 2003

i had an srt-4, and i had no idea about that hidden one, it was never talked about on the other forums i went to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Das Volk posted:

Wow, I missed this first pass, that W12 :gonk: and 4 timing chains?? what the gently caress, VAG?

Just remember you're King rear end in a top hat if you have the audacity to claim that VW/Audi make lovely cars.