Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
She builds meter the fastest (huge) and her level 1 is really great for clearing the screen, her ex lasers are great, and her level 2 is one of the better ones when spammed (and Marisa will spam them). Level 3 and 4 honestly do not matter, the only time they are going to be used is to panic bomb.

For what it's worth she puts up some of the best results in Japanese tournaments, though I haven't looked at those recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Marisa's L1 is the second strongest in the game (right behind Youmu) and has incredible utility, her unique ability is that her gauge charges faster, her EX attacks combined with her spells are near/at Merlin levels of area denial, she's reasonably fast, and her scope is one of the more useful ones. She's completely ridiculous, and the only reason Reimu/Eiki are better is because they're custom made to be absolute horseshit.

EDIT: Well that's what I get for stopping to go check the wiki.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Zun tweeted tonight that he's considering the overseas market:
https://twitter.com/korindo/status/371114738916147200

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would hope he'd try to go with Steam first. That'd be the most logical way to go about releasing in the west.

It'd never happen, but I wish he'd let Carpe Fulgur handle the localization.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Captain Invictus posted:

I would hope he'd try to go with Steam first. That'd be the most logical way to go about releasing in the west.

It'd never happen, but I wish he'd let Carpe Fulgur handle the localization.

CF doing the translation would be pretty fantastic. They pretty much excel at localization.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If this happens, I can't wait for the official translations to set off a massive shitstorm.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BlitzBlast posted:

If this happens, I can't wait for the official translations to set off a massive shitstorm.

I can't imagine that anyone who managed to get their hands on the license wouldn't be extremely aware of what they're dealing with. Heck, they might even reference the existing fandom to find favored translations. Of course that won't stop a shitstorm since we get shitstorms just among ourselves anyway, but I can't really see it being much worse.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, the goons would be fine with it, but I can hear the pooshlmer crew frothing incoherently already.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
In a way I'd be glad that there would finally be "official" translations to use, plus I would be stoked to finally give ZUN money. I've been meaning to buy Grimoire of Marisa or Symposium of Post-Mysticism at some point to give him :20bux: or so, but the shipping costs have stopped me at the moment. Buying the official games at some point would be way better.

Even if it means losing "Bitch, get out of the way!" :colbert:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

PerOlus posted:

Wasn't there some sort of issue with American copyright laws? I wouldn't want the games over here if it meant losing fanworks. Official translations and spellings would be cool though. Even if they conflict with whatever's popularly accepted.

ZUN'll probably say something about it when he shows up at Anime Weekend Atlanta.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
So much potential for tears. Imagine if NIS America got the localization rights.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Do it, ZUN. I would pay you :20bux: for every single Touhou game.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If all the Windows games went on Steam I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Doubly so if there was a discounted bundle package.

Hell I'd buy a few extra copies of IN to gift to friends. I'd be broke but happy.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
ZUN character art as steam profile backgrounds. Make it happen.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Cernunnos posted:

If all the Windows games went on Steam I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Doubly so if there was a discounted bundle package.

Hell I'd buy a few extra copies of IN to gift to friends. I'd be broke but happy.

I'd gift Ten Desires to people, if I had to pick one. I think it would be a better intro to the series.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Cernunnos posted:

Touhou steam achievements?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kheldragar posted:

Touhou steam achievements?

Bitch, get out of the way!
The bitch got out of the way.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HellCopter posted:

Wasn't there some sort of issue with American copyright laws? I wouldn't want the games over here if it meant losing fanworks.

Same here; I don't think it'd be too absurd to say that Touhou wouldn't have gotten as big as it did if it weren't because of the fans. I know I'd be all :stonk: without Morrigan and Tutti Sound doing their thing.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
CHEEEN time:

http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/640

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

PerOlus posted:

I see his Asahi reserves are running low.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Gamma Nerd posted:

I see his Asahi reserves are running low.

You mean the breweries are nearing capacity?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

As a Sailor and a Guy who has been drunk before 11AM I must say ZUN posts a hilarious amount of alcohol to his twitter account.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So what's the status on the English patch for the latest fighting game? I've been kind of out of the loop and might have missed some of the chat in the previous pages.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DrSunshine posted:

So what's the status on the English patch for the latest fighting game? I've been kind of out of the loop and might have missed some of the chat in the previous pages.

a cartoon duck posted:

A while ago the guys who usually do translation patches came in here and said they don't feel like translating and patching Hopeless Masquerade because they not only really dislike the game, TasoFro's code is also so labyrinthine and shoddy they don't wanna expend the effort for a game they don't actually like. So short of someone else rising up to the challenge you can wait a long time for a translation to come out. Just look at the translations on the touhou wiki and that touhou endings wiki if you need to know what the characters are saying.

Looks like it's not happening for the foreseeable future. The wiki will work fine in the meantime.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Last I checked there was a group on some forum are trying make it. It's taking a while, but someone is working on it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

More importantly, what about the translation for Double Dealing?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

More importantly, what about the translation for Double Dealing?

Use the one from the patch center. http://thpatch.net/wiki/Touhou_Patch_Center

I think I remember you saying you didn't like it or didn't trust it or something, but give it a shot. I've been playing with it all week and it works brilliantly. Spell card names, stage names, music titles, music descriptions, the manual, endings, interface and score numbers, pretty much everything's there now. Only stuff missing is ancilary stuff like the title on the title screen and a few images from the credits maybe.

It had a couple of rough spots (first time I fired it up with the full version it was a buggy mess that crashed constantly), but a few revisions later (particularly with the 8/20 revision if you haven't tried it since then), it's pretty solid, and will only get better. They're working on a GUI, and support for Vsync and other goodies.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
Yeah, you have to use the auto-patcher for DDC. It works fine now that they've dealt with all the bad bugs.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
So there's English, British English, and Yorkshine English, which is good?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Nyaa posted:

So there's English, British English, and Yorkshine English, which is good?

One of the cool things about the Patch Center is that the translations are fed directly from the Wiki. This means first of all that anyone can contribute and try to improve any translation. Second of all, it means that you can see all of the translations readily from the wiki. So I'd say just check out the ones you're interested on the wiki, and pick based on that.

Now, having said that, Yorkshire English is clearly the correct choice.

code:
Kagerou: I guess I'll have to be trouble!
Reimu:   I don't show any mercy to rampaging youkai!
vs.
code:
Kagerou: De'ar's no otha choice bur ta mek eur gabble?
Reimu:   Ah won't 'ave enny mercy on youkai makin' eur gabble!
EDIT:
Man, now I'm really digging into the Yorkshire patch. It's beautiful!
code:
Sekibanki: Skeg upon mi noggin' 'n despair!
Touhou Thread 7 - Skeg upon mi noggin' 'n despair!

Justus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 26, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
ZUN has always been a huge inspiration to me, artistically, and one of the things I really admire about his work is his ability to take a short melody and mix it up, time after time.

Theme of Eastern Story is such a short, simple melody that I wanted to mess around with it a bit, and this is what came out. Hope you like it?

博麗の追憶 ~ Theme of Eastern Story

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Someone's doing a a Klingon version? My god. We've reached Nerd Singularity. :psyboom:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Justus posted:

Now, having said that, Yorkshire English is clearly the correct choice.

speaking as someone who spent seven whole years living int t'yorksheer, Holy poo poo. :stonklol:

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

ZUN has always been a huge inspiration to me, artistically, and one of the things I really admire about his work is his ability to take a short melody and mix it up, time after time.

Theme of Eastern Story is such a short, simple melody that I wanted to mess around with it a bit, and this is what came out. Hope you like it?

博麗の追憶 ~ Theme of Eastern Story

Just wanted to comment on this as I think it's great anytime a Western fan contributes music. There's plenty of fan art and such from the Western community but fairly little music.

That being stated, you've got some work ahead of you. I'd say spend some time focusing on your harmonization. I listened to some of the other work you've posted and it's a bit of a consistent issue. It kind sounds like you're coming up with your harmonization by just plinking around until you can go "well that's ok I guess". I think until you get more experience, you might wanna stick to basic homophonic principals like ZUN tends to (that is, a singular strong melody laid over a clear chord structure) instead of attempting melodic polyphony like you're doing.

I hope saying that isn't too mean or discouraging. For real, keep it up!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Justus posted:

Just wanted to comment on this as I think it's great anytime a Western fan contributes music. There's plenty of fan art and such from the Western community but fairly little music.

That being stated, you've got some work ahead of you. I'd say spend some time focusing on your harmonization. I listened to some of the other work you've posted and it's a bit of a consistent issue. It kind sounds like you're coming up with your harmonization by just plinking around until you can go "well that's ok I guess". I think until you get more experience, you might wanna stick to basic homophonic principals like ZUN tends to (that is, a singular strong melody laid over a clear chord structure) instead of attempting melodic polyphony like you're doing.

I hope saying that isn't too mean or discouraging. For real, keep it up!

Dude, that's totally fine. I'm only 18, I got plenty of time ahead of me to learn new things, and criticism like this is good. I appreciate this a lot more than a flat "hey sounds good man!"

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It was only a matter of time until this happened, with a character named Alice, but it's still definitely worth checking out. See how much you find familiar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCOvbDfE6vc

Edit: Reminds me of Sound Horizon's Story albums/concerts. Here's Snow White, which I wish I could find the live concert version. Instead, have Moira, a concert about Thanatos. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, at least watch the second video.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 27, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Onean posted:

It was only a matter of time until this happened, with a character named Alice, but it's still definitely worth checking out. See how much you find familiar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCOvbDfE6vc

Urgh. Did they really have to use the horrifically unfuckingreadable Disney font? Thankfully it's only in the beginning, but god, that puts me off almost right away. I'm normally not the type to bitch about typeface, but when it makes subtitles harder to read, then you're defeating the entire point of subtitles. :rant:

EDIT: Glad I sat through it past that, though, as it's really... something, indeed. You'd think more things like this would be around in Touhou fanworks, though I suppose getting that many singers working in unison is a lot of trouble. The thing that really stood out to me was the art, though; is there anywhere on Pixiv or the like where it's all together outside of the video?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 27, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

KataraniSword posted:

Urgh. Did they really have to use the horrifically unfuckingreadable Disney font? Thankfully it's only in the beginning, but god, that puts me off almost right away. I'm normally not the type to bitch about typeface, but when it makes subtitles harder to read, then you're defeating the entire point of subtitles. :rant:

EDIT: Glad I sat through it past that, though, as it's really... something, indeed. You'd think more things like this would be around in Touhou fanworks, though I suppose getting that many singers working in unison is a lot of trouble. The thing that really stood out to me was the art, though; is there anywhere on Pixiv or the like where it's all together outside of the video?

Yeah, I didn't really appreciate the Disney font either, but at least it's only used in the beginning and end for the most part. As for the art, it's all individual, unrelated pieces which can be found on Pixiv. If you give me a little bit I'll see if I can find it, most of the stuff I recognized from other videos and I probably have bookmarked.

Edit:
From around the 3 minute mark, there's しきみ.

Couldn't find this specific image and had to grab it from somewhere else, but it's the correct artist.

Edit2:
First image I couldn't find with a quick Google image search. Unless there's a way to search Pixiv by image, you're probably not going to have much luck unless someone else recognizes it.

Edit3:
I'm a dumbass :saddowns:
It seems like all of the images are from the same artist, who is also known as keegy. Looks like not all of the images are up on pixiv or the other site, but they are from the same person. shuushuu seems to have a larger selection, but I've never heard of the site and there's some terrible comments spread out in the search results, so your results may vary.

Final edit:
vvvvvv
Of course someone would beat me before I finish double checking Edit3.

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 27, 2013

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Onean posted:

Yeah, I didn't really appreciate the Disney font either, but at least it's only used in the beginning and end for the most part. As for the art, it's all individual, unrelated pieces which can be found on Pixiv. If you give me a little bit I'll see if I can find it, most of the stuff I recognized from other videos and I probably have bookmarked.

The art is all from the album (あの日の夢のアリス) that track originated from. Artist has also done art for a newer album (Paraiso/パライソ) also released under Shinra-bansho. Quite a few of the tracks on the Alice album mix non-Touhou music into the arrange. Also Paraiso as well I guess.

Have some fun super robot touhous music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzA0QLk-_qA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Man, DDC Lunatic is really crushing me. I thought EoSD Lunatic was legit but I'm lucky to even get through Cirno with all my resources :shepface:

At least I think I'm getting the hang of Extra, ie. get an enormous amount of resources and bulldog through the boss like I do with every other game. It's a bit tricky getting to the PoC for the last streaming section though.