Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Tarq posted:

After a few hundred hours of playing X3 I'm immune to bad voice overs.

No aim.

I'll see you on the other side! Aaaggggh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You want split?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
As a huge Freelancer fan back in the day, I always enjoyed that game's tradelane system for speedy travel. I haven't watched a ton of Rebirth preview stuff, but I hope the Rebirth system is as convenient, quick, and fluid as Freelancer's was.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hakkesshu posted:

The character models look so freaking bad the game would be improved by their absence. Otherwise I think that looks rocking.
I actually like them, in a early-2000s nostalgia kinda way. I mean, they're not good, but they've got an aesthetic that works with the low detail models. Personally the x-verse's slightly cartoony style of humans & aliens is a plus, it helps take the edge off the all-business gameplay.

The facial animations, or lack thereof, are the horrible part.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Watching the video...man that flight model.... I really hope it's modable but I seriously doubt it.

Game had everything going for it and then I see that :(

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why would you doubt it? These are the crazy Germans we're talking about, they do state that they will have full mod support, just that they can't put up any documentation until the game is released.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ship mod released within the first month.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Man, I saw all these complaints and was worried, but I think it looks great! Epic enough to be, well, epic, but just quirky enough to be an X game. I'm getting really excited for this except for the part where it bends my computer over its knee.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The flight model in the X games has always been kinda wonky and not very realistic.

Samolety posted:

Man, I saw all these complaints and was worried, but I think it looks great! Epic enough to be, well, epic, but just quirky enough to be an X game. I'm getting really excited for this except for the part where it bends my computer over its knee.

My only concern is a very buggy release. I bought X3 Reunion the day it came out and it was a total mess that crashed a lot. I was so excited for that game though and I loved it anyways. Was willing to be patient for the patches that eventually fixed the game, but it was frustrating.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
What the hell happened to the Khaak between TC and AP?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Slickdrac posted:

What the hell happened to the Khaak between TC and AP?

There was a plot in TC where the Argon made a taskforce to fight them, their staging grounds were destroyed and they have since disappeared.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Which is good because Khaak beam weapons were the most terrible idea ever and made combat a horrible unfun losing proposition with them.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I don't even understand what peoples expectations for flight model are in a space shooter. Certainly realism is not desirable...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

I don't even understand what peoples expectations for flight model are in a space shooter. Certainly realism is not desirable...

I can't think of any space shooters that get even the basics of space flight correct. It would be really unfun if they did to be honest. Like just one example out of many; if you made coming to a stop in space be realistic, you know how much of a nightmare it would be? It's super simple in the X games, and uses some sort of magic to make it happen, you can't do that in reality.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

I'm in this camp as well since I can't say that I care much for the newtonian models that some goons seems to crave in their space games.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Flight model looks fine. Are people having problems with the ship auto-aligning to the ecliptic plane after you let go of the controls or something? Because that's how Freelancer did it and anything that hews closer to how silky smooth ship control was in that game is aces in my book.

Plus, all you have to do is look at how close that Katana was able to maneuver next to the capital ship in the Gamescom demo without crashing to see how much flight AI has improved; that ship would've been paste in X3.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Independence war was pretty good in that sense. I think most people would mean a model that recognises there is no atmosphere and that once you start moving you don't stop unless a reverse force is applied, kind of like mini-KSP with lasers. It would be crazy awesome if there was gravity from planets, stations or capitals but that's probably not as big a game changer in terms of the flight experience.

edit: wrong quote

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

I can't think of any space shooters that get even the basics of space flight correct. It would be really unfun if they did to be honest. Like just one example out of many; if you made coming to a stop in space be realistic, you know how much of a nightmare it would be? It's super simple in the X games, and uses some sort of magic to make it happen, you can't do that in reality.

Since there's very little gravity, there's also very little g-force. There's also no need for any aerodynamics since there's no aero to be dynamic in. Ships in space are able to move extremely quickly and could accelerate with little effort because of that. Since militaries have a silly habit of going with function over form when it comes to killing dudes, all the fancy designs and racial (or country) tweaks aren't going to be very prominent. Real battles in space will likely involve a mass of blobs firing high energy projectiles instead of making a bunch of pew pew noises while firing their lasers. The energy required to make a rock hurt like hell is just way more efficient. Modern shuttle handling and physics isn't necessarily a good benchmark because they're space taxis that have to break free of gravity, relatively at least.

Asking for realism in a space game is kind of silly because, just like any other realistic simulator, it's going to have niche appeal instead of wide appeal.

I'm not trying to argue with you since I agree completely. I just like imagining what the future of space will be like compared to what we think would be funner. It's like how medieval games generally need to throw in a bunch of dragons and elves and people are dying young because of something a lot worse than a fever.

That said, a realistic space shooter would be awesome.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 26, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm fine with fighters/drones feeling a bit arcadey (or even just feeling like an aerofighter instead of being in space), because otherwise they're kind of pigs to fly. It would be nice, though, if bigger ships had a bit of weight to them.

In the demo video the entire ship seems to turn immediately no matter where you're waggling it, which doesn't feel right given the size of the ship you're flying. Freelancer did this better where you'd move the mouse where you wanted to be pointing and the ship would turn at its own pace to align with that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Realistic physics would be awful. When I press Z to take the throttle to zero, I want my ship to do what a boat would do and slowly come to a stop. I don't want to have to apply the perfect amount of reverse thrust juuuuust right to do the same thing. Same goes for turning. I want my ship to bank like it's being turned by ailerons on the wings of a plane, so when I let go of the stick, it stops turning.

vvv Having little thrusters on the ship doing that as just an animation thing would be fine with me too, so long as I didn't have to actively control them.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 26, 2013

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GreatGreen posted:

Realistic physics would be awful. When I press Z to take the throttle to zero, I want my ship to do what a boat would do and slowly come to a stop. I don't want to have to apply the perfect amount of reverse thrust juuuuust right to do the same thing. Same goes for turning. I want my ship to bank like it's being turned by ailerons on the wings of a plane, so when I let go of the stick, it stops turning.

A non bad way to do this is explain the AI is doing it and have animations for the thrust. I don't think any human will ever be expected to ease the thrusters if humanity ever gets to the point of people traveling around space in personal ships.

Basically it would control the same but an animation would demonstrate what is actually happening.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Doesn't Evochron Mercenary have Newtonian physics which you can turn off, having your ships fly more like the X ships do, only taking thrusters to kill extra motion as you turn?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

GreatGreen posted:

vvv Having little thrusters on the ship doing that as just an animation thing would be fine with me too, so long as I didn't have to actively control them.
Little thrusters would look sweet, off course we're viewing everything from the cockpit which happens to be the forward most thing at the front of the ship, meaning that the Albion Skunk could have thrusters all over and we'd never notice. I'm pretty sure most of the smaller X3 craft had animated manoeuvring thrusters all over, which were more apparent as we were viewing everything from an external camera.

The seemingly instantaneous response of the ship is understandable given the flight environment we'll be thrust into, but did strike me as a little weird as well.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I guess AP is just as stable as TC and Reunion ever were with a few mods added on. At least I only invested a week this time before it become unplayable from crashing every time I tried to have a battle with something bigger than an M6.

I can't even find the crash log file.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Many of the fighters in X3 have exactly that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DancingMachine posted:

I like the X3 one a whole lot and I am sad to see that they are now defining up and down.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Didn't X3 already have up and down defined? I swear there's an option to automatically orient your ship to be "upright" when you're idling, but it's turned off by default.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Slickdrac posted:

I guess AP is just as stable as TC and Reunion ever were with a few mods added on. At least I only invested a week this time before it become unplayable from crashing every time I tried to have a battle with something bigger than an M6.

I can't even find the crash log file.

It's hard know whats causing crashes once you start adding multiple mods. Anything listed in the OP should play nice together, but there are some mods that conflict and some that are just plain broken.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Unimpressed posted:

Independence war was pretty good in that sense.
Yeah, Iwar is the only space sim that I've ever felt did semi-newtonian that was playable and fun. Iwar 2 got it just right. Even with the "pilot aid" turned on you could still feel that your ability to bank depended on your momentum, and the bigger ships had some inertia to them in a steep turn.

Real newtonian physics are just totally incompatible with the space dogfighting game that 99% of people want. I can think of a great idea for a space sim that's got realistic newtonian physics, but it'd play a lot more like submarines than airplanes.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Didn't X3 already have up and down defined? I swear there's an option to automatically orient your ship to be "upright" when you're idling, but it's turned off by default.
In X3:R there's the up and down defined by the y-axis of the sector grid. AI ships tended to fly with +y as "up", and that's how you were oriented when you popped in through a gate. I don't specifically remember an option for auto-leveling, but maybe I just never turned it on. When they added the mouse control interface for TC, the auto-leveling was turned on for mouse control. The new controller flight system has the same problem as the mouse does: there's no convenient input for roll.

I'd predict that if you are playing Rebirth with a 3-axis joystick with a hat switch, it will play exactly like previous X games. Pitch, yaw, roll on the stick, and either use the hat for directional strafe or WASD keys.

My real question is if the AI can use strafe now, or at least do better at predicting shots when the player is strafing.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I don't really have anything that would effect IS combat besides MARS.

All I have on there is Bounce, Improved Races, MARS, Cheats, Complex Cleaner, Free Jump, and a complex hub mod.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

3 posted:

Are people having problems with the ship auto-aligning to the ecliptic plane after you let go of the controls or something?

It does take away some of the charm of a space game, in my opinion. Hopefully there will be some way to disable it.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Slickdrac posted:

I don't really have anything that would effect IS combat besides MARS.

All I have on there is Bounce, Improved Races, MARS, Cheats, Complex Cleaner, Free Jump, and a complex hub mod.

Just to make sure, you're using this version of improved races, right? There are a bunch of versions and the older ones might be problematic.

Other than that I doubt its any of those mods or scripts giving you problems. I have all them except for free jump installed and don't get crashes very often. You might have better luck posting about this on the Egosoft forums, they are pretty helpful.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Yeah, it's that version. I don't even have that actually enabled yet since I'm still going through plot. I think it's something weird going on with ships blowing up to large AOE missile explosions. There's no chugging, all is smooth and then it just freezes all at once.

I'm going to try enabling/disabling a few things. I have a save that's crashing me within a minute or two fairly consistantly. I thought there was some log file dump that could be checked out though? That'd make things easier.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

GreatGreen posted:

Again: I-War did it right. You could enable autopilot-support which would fire the thrusters automatically to achieve that effect. You could also disable that and do it all manually. Only game I know where you could fly in a corkscrew path :allears:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
X2 had 0 inertia, and wasn't a fun dogfighting model for it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was amazing for strafing runs of large ships though.

The worst realistic space physics experience I had was with Frontier, where I bought a supermassive freighter, tiny engines and tried to slowboat it between trade hubs, except my lovely ship could never plot a decent intercept path nor had enough power to catch up with an orbiting planet. :doh:

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
There was a space game that used a standard Newtonian physics model: Terminus.

Was a pretty fun game but there were certainly lots of crutches/systems in place to help you control poo poo. The cool part was you can turn all that off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Having computer compensation to explain why your ship handles like an airplane is also a good explanation for having a general speed limit - the computer has a "soft" speed limit beyond which it can't keep control of the ship adequately.

Of course if you turn it off you can accelerate well past that - but good luck changing course without slowing down first!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

orphean posted:

There was a space game that used a standard Newtonian physics model: Terminus.

Was a pretty fun game but there were certainly lots of crutches/systems in place to help you control poo poo. The cool part was you can turn all that off.

Elite. You spent a week boosting at 20g's to intercept a ship and then combat consisted of zooming passes at each other while you painted lasers on each other's hulls.

There are a variety of flight models you can go for in a space sim and all of them are valid depending on the kind of atmosphere you are going for. None of them can be described as 'realistic'.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Aside from the auto orientation, I don't see that much of a difference from the other space games like Tie Fighter and Freelancer. Didn't the AI also auto orientate in the older X3 games anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

LP97S posted:

Aside from the auto orientation, I don't see that much of a difference from the other space games like Tie Fighter and Freelancer. Didn't the AI also auto orientate in the older X3 games anyway?

Yea, for the capital ships. After awhile fighters would be aligned all sorts of ways.

• Locked thread