Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Post-release of the first BioShock game Ken Levine and the gang at Irrational were already piecing together plans for another BioShock game. There may have even been scraps of Infinite around the studio while BioShock was under development but never the less, something was brewing. Immediately after release they began working on "Project Icarus", a codename used in their studio to avoid potential leaks. The worked on what would become Infinite for more than two years before making any sort of announcement. Soon, though, in 2010 they had finally announced the game. Fast-forwarding to early 2012, Irrational had announced a Fall 2012 release date and then over the course of 2012 had to continually push back the release date as they weren't happy with the state of the game. Irrational were luckily given complete freedom to work on their game for as long as necessary which likely contributed to how polished the final product feels.

One of the reasons BioShock Infinite not only looks so great in and of itself but also very different from previous BioShock games is because they essentially had to re-design assets from the ground up. Having moved to a new engine (Unreal 3) and having developed custom lighting and physics (like how Columbia is constantly bobbing up and down for example) and thus Infinite looks leagues better than BioShock 1 and 2 did while still maintaining that same visual flair known to the BioShock series.

During development Ken Levine worked closely with voice actors Troy Baker (Booker) and Courtnee Draper (Elizabeth) to develop their characters and ultimately to develop parts of the narrative. A practice known to be uncommon in games development. A lot of scenes in game were improvised and fleshed out through long recording sessions with the three of them. I'll get in to this more in another post but their close working leads to some extremely well done dynamics between characters rather than having actors in on separate days recording lines in solitary, much of it was recorded together, reacting to each other and acting out scenes rather than just recording a batch of lines.

:siren: DO NOT DISCUSS AHEAD WITH OR WITHOUT TAGS. Not story stuff, not character stuff, not music stuff. Nothing, please. :siren:
- If you must discuss the previous games and their DLC, do so respectfully and use tags where possible. Usually I would be okay with discussing games far past release but these are games worth experiencing blindly and so I'd like to preserve that for those here who haven't played the Shock games.

- For now please do not link to YouTube videos featuring music from the game specifically. It tends to lead to related videos that may spoil things and there is a lot of wonderful music in this game that should be heard in the context of the scenes in game.

- The same goes for concept art or any imagery in general. I have plans to post plenty of cool stuff from the game as well as concept art and music but I will do so when I feel comfortable that it isn't going to ruin the game for anyone.

Brainamp made a fantastic LP of the first BioShock: http://lparchive.org/Bioshock/

Table of Contents
BioShock Infinite - Update 01: Hallelujah (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 02: Raffle & Fair (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 03: Murder of Crows (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 04: Siphon (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 05: No, he DOESN'T dance (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 06: The Boardwalk (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 07: En Route to the Hall of Heroes (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 08: Skyrim Reference! (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 09: Giftshop (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 10: The First Lady (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 11: Fortunate (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 12: Chen Lin (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 13: Shantytown (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 14: The Martyr (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 15: Fitzoy (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 16: Storm (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 17: Lady Comstock (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 18: Footsteps (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 19: A Prophet-able Bank (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 20: Her Mother's Daughter (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 21: Where We Lie (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 22: The Hand of the Prophet (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 23: Caged (Thread Post)
BioShock Infinite - Update 24: AD (Thread Post)

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Booker DeWitt
Booker is the player character and protagonist of Infinite. Before coming to Columbia he spent his years as a private investigator based in New York, drinking and gambling away his money. How he came to meet the strangers rowing him toward the lighthouse and why he was taken to Columbia remains a mystery.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth is, so far as we can tell, the girl Booker was sent to find and bring back to... whoever... to wipe away the debt Little is known about her right now.

Zachary Hale Comstock
Comstock is the perceivably benevolent leader of the denizens of Columbia. Often revered and shown great deals of unabiding love and idolization from his followers. A very successful business man and later politician. Took to the skies with the founding of Columbia and left America in the dirt, believing Columbia to be the pinnacle of American Exceptionalism.

Rosalind & Robert Lutece
A pair of brilliant minds. The greatest scientists the world or at least America may have ever been graced with and yet very little is known about them as of yet. Booker has met them a couple of times throughout Columbia. They seem to speak in riddles and quip and tend to finish each others sentences. With a penchant for the peculiar, I'm sure we'll get to hear a lot more from the odd couple.

Daisy Fitzroy
Pegged by Comstock as, at least one of, the enemies of Columbia. As far as we can tell she is the leader of the Vox Populi ("Voice of the people"), a revolutionist/rebel group within Columbia presumably set on dismantling Comstock's reign of control over Columbia and his sensationalist ideals.

Songbird
Little is known about what Songbird is. We do know that it seems to be on the side of Comstock or has been tamed enough to work along side him without much trouble.

Jeremiah Fink
A rich and powerful man in Colbumia. Seems to be responsible for much of the technology and structures as well as many high grade and consumer products within Columbia. Monopolized the use of things such as the Sky-Hook which has lead to him becoming a very successful and influential man.

Cornelius Slate
Slate is a known veteran of various battles including the Boxer Rebellion and Wounded Knee. He claims to have been in close proximity to both Booker and Comstock in the previously mentioned battles. Seems obsessed with having a 'soldiers death' and seeking revenge for Comstock's lies and false tales of battle.

Character bios will be updated as more information is revealed through the story or voxophones.

Possession
Posession allows you to, well, possess things. We haven't gotten to it yet but we will be able to upgrade it to where it allows us to possess actual humans but for now it's solely used to possess machinations such as turrets.

Devils Kiss
Devils Kiss' primary attack is somewhat like a grenade. It explodes on impact of a person or surface and can be quite deadly. When charged the project then becomes a trap and is deployed wherever it lands (roughly where you aim it) and will then trigger when stepped on by an unsuspecting bad guy.

Murder of Crows
A truly horrifying power wherein the poor soul this may be inflicted on is attacked and pecked to near death by a swarm of Crows. The Crows are friendly to inclusion and may well attack other unsuspecting and nearby victims after they have finished scoring the flesh of their prime target. A deadly magick if wielded by the right hands.

Bucking Bronco
Easily one of the most useful powers in the game. Ever wanted to make a room of bad guys float so you can blast them away with a shotgun or worse, douse them in a swath of crows or fire? This is your guy.

Shock Jockey
While Shock Jockey can be used offensively, very effectively in fact, it is also extremely useful for accessing areas that previously you could not. Fink has created a series of switches that can be activated by zapping it with Shock Jockey and these switches tend to open doors to areas that might have interesting goodies for you to get your hands on.

Charge
Like a raging bull, you can use Booker's finely groomed head and stylish hair to charge noggin' first in to enemies and deal mucho-damage.

Undertow
Dude it's slapping people with water. I need not explain further.

Return to Sender
It's kinda like if you're Ken Levine's designers and you run out of cool powers and try and come up with the most boring, useless power. In fact it's not kinda like that, it just is.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 26, 2014

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Due to the way I went about testing this in the sandcastle, I have two updates here. I'll just lump them in to this one post to save cluttering the first page with my posts. I should also say that the first video is considerably less talky than the second, so keep that in mind if you feel the first video is lacking!

Also thanks to Bobbin Threadbare for the title suggestion!

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 20, 2013

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
In your third post, both links go to the first video.

But I like it so far otherwise!

Seer235
May 13, 2011

Man, Bioshock Infinite has fast become one of my favorite games. Glad to see you're doing well by it so far, it deserves a great LP.

A few things I'd like to toss in (none of these should be spoilers, but let me know if I'm going too far):

Columbia is inspired, both in design and philosophy, by the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. The design is simple enough to see

And in philosophy, the World's Fair was a strong inspiration for the American Exceptionalism movement, which is an underlying belief of Columbia as seen in much of the background dialogue in the first video.

Regarding the combat, there is one additional aspect that you could technically experience now--vigor combination. There are eight different vigor combinations you can perform in the game. The first of which is Possession+Devil's Kiss. If you set fire to a possessed enemies, he will ignite others nearby, adding some extra damage around. It doesn't add too much, but there are some later combinations that let you deal out huge amounts of damage. Unfortunately, the game never actually tells you about vigor combinations, so it's something you can easily missed. I never found out about it until I started looking into achievements for Infinite (there's an achievement for using all eight combinations

You can also use Possession to make vending machines spit our some cash, something I got a habit of doing all the time because of how expensive everything is in this game.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I will not argue that this is a bad game, it isn't. I would just like to say that this is most definitely a game where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. This game does have some pretty impressive environments, but that is marred when you actually go up for a closer look and discover that they did use some pretty low res textures. Of course I played it on a console so maybe it just has something to do with memory, or it's just the unreal engine showing it's age and honestly graphics don't really matter as much as they used to I think. Also why doesn't Booker have a reflection or even feet? The former is only noticeable really during that first part so it isn't much of a issue, but that latter is kind of weird when you consider that they mad quite a number of animations for Booker's hands when he interacts with things like buttons and levers. Again it's probably just a memory thing so it's understandable.

Also some fun things I noticed, the bluegrass bands animations don't synch up with the song and their instruments don't have shadows. Also there are several areas where you can jump on top of peoples head and just bunch off of them, it's not really important but it's just something stupid that you can do if you're bored.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I've heard some things, but I won't mention anything specific, since I don't want to be definitively spoiled on this game. What I want to ask though... Is this game a bit softer with it's science fiction than the last game? Like, not just more futuristic by comparison, but actually kind of... Fantastical?

Yes or no answers to this are fine.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
I don't care what you others think. Barbershop quartets are the badasses of the music world and should be treated as such.

I've got a soft spot for the music track, old scratchy records, that ol' time parlor music feel...makes me feel happy to be tooling around this paradise in the clouds.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, my, I have been waiting for an LP of this game for so long. Like Sundowner, I have to severely bite my tongue at a lot of what we see, because there is SO MUCH I want to say, but it would pretty much be, if not a crime, an unfortunate thing for new folks to not experience the game as intended. So I'll do my best to keep mum about spoilers.

I do want to say, though, that I love, love, LOVE the opening parts before the action. Already, veterans of the first Bioshock can see some similarities between the two, namely that we begin in a lighthouse, but go up instead of down. But that's really where the similarity ends; unlike Rapture, which is pretty much dead and worsening as soon as you get there, Columbia is alive and thriving, with obvious activity everywhere you look. While a lesser game might start out with action from the word go, BI allows us to chill out and just drink in the atmosphere of the city; I myself spent about an hour just looking around at everything, because god drat, is this place gorgeous... It's just so perfectly paced too: you go through the gates, take in the shops, posters and kinetoscopes, spend some time fooling around in the fair, think to yourself, "Hey, this place is a little weird, but it's pretty chill," and then... BAM. The Raffle, which is just such a perfect amalgam of American tradition married with exceptionalism, racism, and Biblical savagery. So good.

I'm also with Sun on the use of music in this game; the soundtrack is just phenomenal and the use of sound is amazing too. I totally hear about the satisfaction of the sound of the Skyhook on a head. (Not that I ever had much opportunity to hear it, as I mostly used guns, but still.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Gensuki posted:

I've heard some things, but I won't mention anything specific, since I don't want to be definitively spoiled on this game. What I want to ask though... Is this game a bit softer with it's science fiction than the last game? Like, not just more futuristic by comparison, but actually kind of... Fantastical?

Let's just say it toys around with theories that are beyond our current ability to prove or disprove. It can be hard to follow at times, but assuming you keep up, it does stick to a certain internal logic.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Honestly, this is my favorite Bioshock game of the series. Not QUITE the story quality of the original, not QUITE the gameplay quality of the second, but definitely a better product overall than it's predecessors. I'll be following this thread despite the fact I've played the game twice already.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'm just excited to see how much this game supposedly critiques America. Columbia is doing a drat good job of it, as is the whole Vox Populi and religious cult.

Jesus gently caress at that raffle. :(

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 26, 2013

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm a sucker for the ginger twins. They're such a great literary reference.

President of Space
Mar 30, 2012
This was the most interesting narrative game I've played since, well, probably the original Bioshock. Unfortunately it will be a very long time before I can talk about the core theme they develop, which is unfortunate since I think they do an excellent job making sure everything ties back into it, so in the meantime I'm going to enjoy seeing Columbia through someone else's eyes.

Gensuki posted:

Yes. I'd argue you're doing yourself a disservice if you focus on trying to dissect the science-fiction aspects of the story as they're really not what it's about. A lot of people seem to get caught up with technical questions e.g. "how do the buildings stay in the air?", and never seem to realize that it just doesn't matter for the purposes of the story. Much like Bioshock, the various bits of super science we run into are effectively magic with science-y names, it's just that for this kind of setting (America at the turn of the 20th century) bullshit mad science fits better than outright sorcery.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Bioshock Infinite! It's:

• Pretty drat fun
  • A pretty great videogame
  • Not nearly as clever as it thinks it is.

Please don't think that third one takes away from the first two.

Here is some heartfelt advice from me to anyone watching this LP blind (or playing the game blind, for that matter): Speculate. Try and second guess everything. Overthink and extrapolate the poo poo out of every little thing you see. Go Full Sherlock™ on that poo poo. Lord knows the LP format is perfect for this! I guarantee - this game's plot is far more enjoyable if you try and out-think it at every turn. I mean, it's pretty good anyway, but this is better.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

This game. I was awaiting this game for a couple of months when I pre-ordered it and was so excited when I picked it up.

I have a massive Bioshock Infinite poster on my wall. The collector's edition gave me an artbook and a neat keyring and other goodies (like the soundtrack, oh my god the soundtrack). I have the shirt. I love this game and can't wait to read everyone's responses. In short, I really liked the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm just excited to see how much this game supposedly critiques America. Columbia is doing a drat good job of it, as is the whole Vox Populi and religious cult.

Jesus gently caress at that raffle. :(

It's a fair reminder that the game takes place fifty five years before Loving v. the State of Virginia, so Columbia was regrettably not alone in that sort of attitude.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

Bioshock Infinite! It's:

• Pretty drat fun

Here is some heartfelt advice from me to anyone watching this LP blind (or playing the game blind, for that matter): Speculate. Try and second guess everything. Overthink and extrapolate the poo poo out of every little thing you see. Go Full Sherlock™ on that poo poo. Lord knows the LP format is perfect for this! I guarantee - this game's plot is far more enjoyable if you try and out-think it at every turn. I mean, it's pretty good anyway, but this is better.

I like this advice. Bioshock Infinite is a smart game, but it likes to think of itself as a genius game, which is a bit much.

Looking forward to seeing people's reactions.

PizzaThief
Sep 22, 2006

Traveling through time AND space?

Green Intern posted:

Fun fact: At the "Heads or Tails" bit, parts of their dialogue and the exact number of ticks on the board are verbatim from the opening of Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead. As an actor and theater guy, that made me happy.

That said, I love this game. It is incredibly well executed and the acting is phenomenal. I'm looking forward to the rest!

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
The recurring man and woman remind me strongly of the two gophers from Looney Tunes with their back-and-forth and the way they bounce off each other's sentences.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DukeofCA posted:

The recurring man and woman remind me strongly of the two gophers from Looney Tunes with their back-and-forth and the way they bounce off each other's sentences.

Glad I'm not alone in that.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008
I've been waiting for this LP for a while. I don't really buy that many games, and recently when I had the opportunity to get one I eventually chose Hitman Absolution over Bioshock Infinite. I can see already that was an enormous mistake. Well, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the LP, and maybe getting a used copy somewhere if it continues being this good.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PizzaThief posted:

Fun fact: At the "Heads or Tails" bit, parts of their dialogue and the exact number of ticks on the board are verbatim from the opening of Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead. As an actor and theater guy, that made me happy.

That said, I love this game. It is incredibly well executed and the acting is phenomenal. I'm looking forward to the rest!
I'm a theater person...and I totally missed that one. :aaa: Then again, it's been nearly 8-9 years since I've read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

DukeofCA posted:

I also see a little of Statler and Waldorf in them, seeing as how they seem to provide side commentary on the action in the game. Just with reduced amounts of snark.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So people who haven't read Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead can understand the reference, its a play following the perspective of two minor characters in Hamlet, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. But instead of playing the perspective straight, R&G are somewhat aware that things are...off. The two essentially wander through the events of Hamlet as the major characters of that play briefly intersect with the parts that R&G played as occurred in Hamlet. Its a heavily meta play and touches on themes of fate, insignificance, and the line between art and reality. The coin flipping is a reference to an event from the beginning of the play where the two are betting on coin flips and every single time the coin comes up heads.

I'M SURE THIS WILL HAVE NO RELEVANCE TO THE PLOT OF THE GAME MMM YES

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Green Intern posted:

No, you see, they're a literary reference.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Oh thank god, there's finally an LP of this. I played it, and even beat it, but after awhile I got so frustrated with the combat that I stopped enjoying the game entirely. I liked the story, by and large, but maybe I'll like it even more if I'm not really pissed at how bad I am at shooting people.

And to share a moment of stupidity - despite how incredibly alike they look, I thought the twins were a married couple at first. Boy did I feel like a moron. They're the best characters in the game, bar none though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
(edit) Actually never mind, getting a bit spoilerish, even if vague.

The coinflip twins are great, anyhow. I wish there was more of them in the game, but that would make them feel a bit less special I suppose.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 26, 2013

Seer235
May 13, 2011

Man, I have a fair bit to say about the combat in this game. It's probably my biggest criticism, originally that it wasn't that good, but since I played the combat DLC the criticism has changed entirely. I've learned that the game actually does have a pretty good combat system and a bunch of clever things you can do, but you'll never really learn them just playing through the game so you miss out on a lot and tend to approach the combat from a really sub-par angle. It makes all the combat a lot more frustrating than it needs to be and it's all because the game fails to teach you anything useful in terms of the combat.

PizzaThief
Sep 22, 2006

Traveling through time AND space?

1stGear posted:

So people who haven't read Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead can understand the reference, its a play following the perspective of two minor characters in Hamlet, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. But instead of playing the perspective straight, R&G are somewhat aware that things are...off. The two essentially wander through the events of Hamlet as the major characters of that play briefly intersect with the parts that R&G played as occurred in Hamlet. Its a heavily meta play and touches on themes of fate, insignificance, and the line between art and reality. The coin flipping is a reference to an event from the beginning of the play where the two are betting on coin flips and every single time the coin comes up heads.

I'M SURE THIS WILL HAVE NO RELEVANCE TO THE PLOT OF THE GAME MMM YES

Thank you for elaborating on this, I had posted the earlier post from my ipad and its tiny tiny keyboard.
For anyone who wants to read it, the play was written by Tom Stoppard (who also wrote the amazing ARCADIA). For those too lazy to read, there is also the movie with Gary Oldman. Seriously guys, check it out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

1stGear posted:

A perfectly ordinary lighthouse rocket-transport. But today Booker DeWitt found himself not taken to a holy Paradise on Earth. Today, this capsule took him on a one-man trip, to the Twilight Zone.

And yeah, R&G are Dead is an incredible bit of theater full of humor and wordplay and metahumor and philosophy and absolutely marvelous.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Seer235 posted:

Regarding the combat, there is one additional aspect that you could technically experience now--vigor combination. There are eight different vigor combinations you can perform in the game. The first of which is Possession+Devil's Kiss. If you set fire to a possessed enemies, he will ignite others nearby, adding some extra damage around. It doesn't add too much, but there are some later combinations that let you deal out huge amounts of damage. Unfortunately, the game never actually tells you about vigor combinations, so it's something you can easily missed. I never found out about it until I started looking into achievements for Infinite (there's an achievement for using all eight combinations

You can also use Possession to make vending machines spit our some cash, something I got a habit of doing all the time because of how expensive everything is in this game.

I'll be showing these things off in due time. The Possession+Devils Kiss one is pretty fun tough I have a personal favorite combination that we'll get to sometime later.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Fedule posted:

Bioshock Infinite! It's:

• Pretty drat fun

Well I've never played Bioshock Infinite, though I did play the first two, and I know nothing of the game whatsoever beyond the fact that it came out to massive, thunderous hype, to which some felt it lived up and some did not. I also know that it's a Bioshock game and so the plot will be labyrinthine and clever and make no loving sense in retrospect. So assuming that it's kosher to do so, and since several people have asked us newbees to provide our reactions as they come, I am going to do so. In detail. And I may be wrong and I may be right, but that's the way it goes. That said, Sundowner did ask for no spoilers and no discussing ahead. I can't spoil what I don't know, but I could get spectacularly lucky and guess right. So if I shouldn't be doing this at all, then please let me know and I'll edit out the entire thing.

So here goes, as things come to me:

1. The opening quote speaks of metaphysics and false memory. My immediate assumption is that the protagonist will be unreliable and unsound of memory. I assume this because that's exactly how Bioshock 1 worked (the sequel simply rendered your memory irrelevant), and because like Bioshock 1, you are here starting in the middle of the ocean with a vague premise that would do for any other game but not for a Bioshock game, under circumstances you do not understand. I look forward to finding out that you were a genetically-modified gopher in a robotic human body the whole time...

2. The man and woman you row in with never address you the entire time you are with them, not even in response to direct questions. Maybe they don't exist, and are a figment of your imagination? No, then they would only talk to you. Maybe you don't exist? Not sure how that would work

3. Odd that the protagonist speaks this time round. I'm rather used to silent protagonists from Bio/System shock. I suppose there's probably a good, meta reason for it all.

4. An interesting note on the conversation between the man and woman in the rowboat. The repetition of he doesn't row, with the emphasis on that word. What does that mean? In the context of the rest of their conversation, wherein they discuss the protagonist's actions as though he weren't there, does this mean he is an automaton of some sort who is not programmed to row, as Jack was in Bioshock 1? An object not endowed with sentience? Or maybe this is some kind of meta-thing, wherein they're referring to the fact that the character literally isn't programmed to row, because that's not what the game is about? Other explanations may come to me, but I'm certain that line is important somehow. Of course this is secondary to the question of who these two solipsistic maniacs actually are.

5. Mysterious notes on the lighthouse door. How the hell did it get here in the first place? Who is the dead man and why is he dead? The note on his body would seem to indicate he was left here for us to find, but by whom? And who exactly does "C" want stopped, and once more by whom? Is that another message to us? Or is it in reference to us? I'd assume the latter, but assumptions defeat the purpose of the game here.

6. Do the symbols and the tones (and the sequence) of the bells mean anything?

7. I'm getting a very strong Close Encounters of the Third Kind vibe from the interplay between the lighthouse chimes and whatever is above the clouds. Full disclosure, I do know that the game takes place on a flying city (I think everyone who saw an ad for Infinite knows that much. Perhaps this is a reference to alien contact? I'm probably way-overthinking things at this point, but hell, that's half the fun.

8. The end of the rocket-chair ride is a bit obvious parallel to Rapture's reveal in Bioshock one.

9. Okay, this has nothing to do with the plot, but I'll say this, the music in that underground, water-covered temple-church-cathedral-whatever is hauntingly beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this landing (the scripture and whatnot) in any game before. To return to the plot, we're barely a minute in, and I'm getting a very strong Church-of-Latter-Day-Saints vibe from this whole thing. Like we're entering some kind of Mormon Tabernacle.

10. Very strong. This Comstock guy even looks kind of like Joseph Smith. But for analysis: Comstock was the name of the silver lode in Colorado that was discovered in 1859, the one that George Hearst and the Bonanza Kings used to make their fortunes. It's also the name of a lot of other stuff, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. The Comstock lode was the biggest mining strike since the California Gold Rush, and helped sustain the western drive of American Expansion. I know from the rest of the thread that such themes are involved in this game, so perhaps this is a reference of import.

11. The "Lamb" will lead us to salvation sounds awfully like the entire premise of Bioshock 2. In fact it sounds so alike that there's no way it's a mere "reference" to the other game. I would at this juncture posit that this game and Bioshock 2 (and by extension 1) are connected intrinsically (not much of a leap given that they're in the same series). A prequel then, to Bioshock 1/2. But I'd assume at this point this Lamb has both something to do with the Girl we're looking for and with the major players of Bioshock itself.

Wildly unsupported theory #1: Given the timeframe here, is the Girl we're rescuing Sofia Lamb, from Bioshock 2? If it's 1912 now and Bioshock 2 takes place in 1970, I think, then if the Girl is an infant now, she'd be 58 at the time of Bioshock 2. A little older than Lamb is portrayed, I think, but then Lamb can be assumed to have spliced herself with enough Adam to retard the aging process. I'll rate this at least theoretically possible.

12. Several interesting elements in the preacher's conversation. Comstock fought at Wounded Knee, which they're portraying here as a glorious victory. Wounded Knee was in 1890, 22 years before present. He then apparently led people to a new heaven/temple/whatnot, with heavy religious overtones. The surface is described as 'Sodom', aka sinful. The LDS parallels are now immense. I wonder if there's a direct connection. Other matters are less clear. A reference to defeating the "Orientals", which sounds reasonably disturbing. In connection with what? Chinese railroad workers? Why would they need to be beaten? The Boxer Rebellion of 1900? What connection would that have with a neo-Mormon revivalist prophet? Need more info. Also, something about casting out the Vox Populi. Vox Populi is latin for "Voice of the People", usually an idiom meaning the will of the populace. Does this mean he seized direct control over the city in defiance of some democratic government? Is this his personality cult? Sure looks like it.

13. Baptism memory-scene. So Booker has some debt, that much was referenced in the note on the lighthouse door. His office door indicates he's an private investigator. Works fine. But then he opens the door and finds a city (New York?) being attacked by airships. Okay... so is this a real memory or a fake one? Is the backstory of this world that New York was attacked by a fleet of airships and blown up? That might well be enough to spur all the techno-insanity of the Bioshock series. But then were the airships from Columbia (I'm guessing that's the name of the city from the use by the parishioners) or from somewhere else. It might just be me, but the city looks a bit... advanced... for 1912. Too many skyscrapers. Maybe he's remembering things weirdly. Let me do some research.

14. Yeah, something's completely off here. I paused the video and in the middle of that flashback you can plainly see the distinctive top of the Chrysler building as well as something I think is the Empire State building, which were built in 1930 and 1931 respectively. So he's remembering something that happened, at the earliest, 19 years after the events of the game. Which means time fuckery is going on. Or alternately that his "memory" is actually the events of the game, and that the "flashback" is his present reality. Great, because things weren't complex enough yet...

15. Okay, so we wake up in a garden where people are worshiping George Washington, Ben Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson as saints. Flaming sword across the Delaware indeed. This... sort of fits into the Mormon theme I was sensing before, not that those guys are literally worshiped, but it is Mormon doctrine that the US constitution is a divine document written by enlightened prophets. Again, I don't think these people are literally supposed to be Mormons (though that's certainly a possibility), but merely that any sort of indigenous Revivalist Christian American religious establishment is going to probably bear the Mormon stamp, especially if it was established in the context of the 1800s. Second Great Religiousness and all.

16. An impressive city, no doubt, but I'm more interested in some of those conversations. One woman mentioned the Vox Populi again, and this time it seemed to be a thing, or at least a term in common use. Another woman mentions some sort of story regarding marrying "a" Vox Populi. An... affiliation? Political? Religious? Maybe the plucky underdogs out to topple the evil cult leader? Seems a little obvious, but hey.

17. Gotta say, it's nice to see a working city for once in these games, though I assume we're going to be significantly altering this situation soon enough. A question though, why is nobody stopping Booker? The priest instantly discerned that he was from 'Sodom', yet he keeps talking like he needs to not get 'made' as being an outsider. Isn't it obvious that he's an outsider? It was to the priest.

18. It sounds like that conversation in the shoe-shine shop should be portentous, but I can't for the life of me think of how. I'll file it away for memory.

19. More Mormonism references in the Dictaphone things (I forget their names). The Archangel (Columbia?) reveals wisdom to Comstock, who like Joseph Smith (and Moses) protests that he is unworthy as he is not holy or righteous. Old story, but a very close parallel to LDS mythology. Though so far, nothing absolutely concrete.

20. All right, something's completely wrong here. That Barbershop Quartet was singing God Only Knows, which was written by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys in 1966. An anachronism this obvious can only be intentional, which means something weird is going on here. Maybe time travel? Of what sort? Is Columbia from the future? That would explain how the city stays aloft, I suppose, but then why the throwback to 1912-era clothing and cultural mores?

Wildly unsupported theory #2: The Prophet Comstock is a time traveler from the future who came back in time bearing advanced technology and founded a religion based on Mormonism while using his advanced technology to construct the city of Columbia. Such technology was then later used to construct Rapture via a connection between Andrew Ryan and Comstock that has not yet been established.

21. The telegram warns Booker not to alert Comstock to his presence. Well how the hell's he supposed to do that when everyone knows who he is? Forget the priest, the messenger boy (who has an awful voice actor) knew his name. How's Comstock not gonna know? As to "do not pick 77", I must assume that is in reference to the raffle we've heard about. But that means either the raffle is rigged, or there is more time travel insanity, wherein someone knows that picking 77 will result in disaster.

22. Returning for a second to the conversation between the woman and man in the boat before. When he mentioned that Booker "Doesn't" row... could that mean the man knew ahead of time that Booker was not going to row? If so, maybe he is a time traveler (and the woman with him). But then why did they drop him off at Columbia? How the hell did he meet them in the first place? I don't mind a mystery, but we're being denied vital information here that the protagonist has to know as to what the hell's going on. This annoys me, as it's less a mystery and more an idiot plot, with us as the enforced idiots.

23. I took that gigantic angel thing to be a cloud formation when Booker first approached the telescope. Is that supposed to be a building? It's the size of the Empire State Building. If it is, then obvious inference is that the "Lamb" is inside it. All right, so we will no doubt have to storm it by force at some point, only to meet some unexpected plot twist. Wonderful. I am of course assuming that the girl we were sent to bring to New York is the Lamb referred to in the propaganda about. But hell, if that a wrong assumption, then I'm completely lost.

24. Pretty crap magnification on those telescopes. Period-accurate I suppose

25. The barker advertising the Vigors (Plasmids by another name, I assume) mentioned they came from Jeremiah Fink. A lady in an earlier conversation mentioned something like "Finkertons", which I assume is an analog for the Pinkerton Detective Agency, a leg-breaking organization most famous for quashing mining strikes in the late 1800s. So this Fink is some kind of industrial magnate with a private army? I would assume we'll be running into them before long.

26. Just before the first video ends, I spotted a carnival booth at the fair titled "Hunt down the Vox". My previous theory regarding freedom fighters against Comstock seems somewhat vindicated. Presumably we'll be helping them raise the revolution against their oppressors or something.

That was, believe it or not, merely my thoughts for the first video. I'll watch the second video and comment on it presently, unless of course this rambling set of thoughts and assumptions and overthought speculation is either threadshittingly bad or inappropriate vis-a-vis the no-spoiler, no-future-discussion policy. I have no idea if these predictions of mine are accurate or not. There is, I suppose, a chance that they are. In any event, if anyone thinks I should not do this, I will delete this entire thing and post no more supposition. But if you wanted to know what a newbie thought looking at this game for the first time, here it is.

GenHavoc fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 26, 2013

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

^^^ holy poo poo ^^^

Glad to see this being LPed, I really enjoyed playing through it but it's always great seeing it through another person's eyes. I don't think I ever used any vigors except one, which still isn't going to come up for a few updates.

I always preferred to think of the whole game as the hallucination of a man dying of cerebral edema stemming from being rocketed up 15-20k feet in just a couple seconds.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

The "Lamb" will lead us to salvation sounds awfully like the entire premise of Bioshock 2. In fact it sounds so alike that there's no way it's a mere "reference" to the other game. I would at this juncture posit that this game and Bioshock 2 (and by extension 1) are connected intrinsically (not much of a leap given that they're in the same series). A prequel then, to Bioshock 1/2. But I'd assume at this point this Lamb has both something to do with the Girl we're looking for and with the major players of Bioshock itself.

Wildly unsupported theory #1: Given the timeframe here, is the Girl we're rescuing Sofia Lamb, from Bioshock 2? If it's 1912 now and Bioshock 2 takes place in 1970, I think, then if the Girl is an infant now, she'd be 58 at the time of Bioshock 2. A little older than Lamb is portrayed, I think, but then Lamb can be assumed to have spliced herself with enough Adam to retard the aging process. I'll rate this at least theoretically possible.

Lots of interesting speculation, but to cut this one off at the head, B1 (and Infinite) and B2 were made by two different studios. There are no references or connections between B2 and Infinite.

Oh, and piece of advice for anyone who wants to stay unspoiled: do NOT look up the trailer for the upcoming story DLC. It doesn't directly give anything away, but it implies an awful lot.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Infinite might not be as clever as it wants to seem, but you really can't blame it for trying, and going well above the norm when it comes to details and world building. This post is a good example of just how many little things the intro sequence already has.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Also, Comstock's religion was apparently not intended to reference Mormonism, but when you go for a splinter sect with an American Exceptionalism focus there's going to be some similar themes. Whether that's true or "don't piss off the Mormons" marketing spin is up to the viewer. That said, when I reached the baptism my first words were "oh poo poo, I'm in Mormon Stepford."

The bit before the baptism, "if he had done this and had not done the other thing it would have been enough," does anyone know if this is general Christian liturgy? I know it as Dayenu, a song Jews tend to sing at Passover dating from the Middle Ages, but the style is so strong I wouldn't be surprised if it's been appropriated and adapted outside of this game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

GenHavoc posted:

So assuming that it's kosher to do so, and since several people have asked us newbees to provide our reactions as they come, I am going to do so. In detail. And I may be wrong and I may be right, but that's the way it goes. That said, Sundowner did ask for no spoilers and no discussing ahead. I can't spoil what I don't know, but I could get spectacularly lucky and guess right. So if I shouldn't be doing this at all, then please let me know and I'll edit out the entire thing.

[twenty six-point treatise]

Be reassured: the general assumption with SA LPs (so, unless stated otherwise) is that speculation is fine and generally encouraged from anyone who's watching blind.

And yes, this is exactly the right approach to be taking with this game's plot! Admittedly I didn't think this much stuff would come in one post but hey.

And and!

Attestant posted:

Infinite might not be as clever as it wants to seem, but you really can't blame it for trying, and going well above the norm when it comes to details and world building. This post is a good example of just how many little things the intro sequence already has.

Quite. Just because it's not nearly as clever as it thinks it is does not mean it is not, in fact, quite clever. It's quite clever! There is a metric fuckton of attention to detail and allusions and allegories and symbolism and metaphors and maybe the occasional bit of stupid poo poo.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Speculation is absolutely fine and honestly I encourage it as it's what I've done for every BioShock game so far when playing. Here's where I draw the line: Don't confirm or deny speculation.

If you've beaten this game and see someone get pretty close with their speculation then don't tell them their psychic or that they are correct (or even wrong). Wait until the game clears up their speculation, whether accurate or not, because at that point it does become a spoiler.

It's tough not to just pour out tons of info on just what we've seen in the first hour and why it's important but that ruins it for everyone here who hasn't played the game.

Edit: Although GenHavoc's post is great, I'm surprised this much could be drawn and speculated upon from the opening hour but I guess that's also why the opening sequence is so great. When I first played I was so caught up in the experience of exploring Columbia that I didn't even have time to think about it until a little later in to the game where things started to click.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 26, 2013

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Fedule posted:

Quite. Just because it's not nearly as clever as it thinks it is does not mean it is not, in fact, quite clever. It's quite clever! There is a metric fuckton of attention to detail and allusions and allegories and symbolism and metaphors and maybe the occasional bit of stupid poo poo.

I think the game does very well for most of it's duration. It only -really- does dumb things near the very end.

Also I am so glad about this LP. Now I get to see the story again from a more clear perspective, without having to go through it again myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

1stGear posted:

Lots of interesting speculation, but to cut this one off at the head, B1 (and Infinite) and B2 were made by two different studios. There are no references or connections between B2 and Infinite.

Oh, and piece of advice for anyone who wants to stay unspoiled: do NOT look up the trailer for the upcoming story DLC. It doesn't directly give anything away, but it implies an awful lot.

There's... no connection? But I was so sure...

Goddamn. That's highly disappointing. I had this whole theory forming up that I now have to scrap. Curses. It also seems rather lazy of them to have no connection at all between the immediate sequel to Bioshock and this, especially if they're going to use the same imagery.

Bruceski posted:

Also, Comstock's religion was apparently not intended to reference Mormonism, but when you go for a splinter sect with an American Exceptionalism focus there's going to be some similar themes. Whether that's true or "don't piss off the Mormons" marketing spin is up to the viewer. That said, when I reached the baptism my first words were "oh poo poo, I'm in Mormon Stepford."

The bit before the baptism, "if he had done this and had not done the other thing it would have been enough," does anyone know if this is general Christian liturgy? I know it as Dayenu, a song Jews tend to sing at Passover dating from the Middle Ages, but the style is so strong I wouldn't be surprised if it's been appropriated and adapted outside of this game.

I can't believe I didn't recognize Dayenu right in front of me, but I don't believe it exists in christian liturgy, at least in any one that I've heard of. Which leads to another interesting point. In Dayenu, the song is in praise of God for having delivered fifteen different blessings to the Israelites, any one of which would have been enough. In Infinite, the preacher is praising Comstock for his gifts, which is a heck of a promotion, even for a so-called "Prophet".

Fedule posted:

Be reassured: the general assumption with SA LPs (so, unless stated otherwise) is that speculation is fine and generally encouraged from anyone who's watching blind.

And yes, this is exactly the right approach to be taking with this game's plot! Admittedly I didn't think this much stuff would come in one post but hey.

Sundowner posted:

Speculation is absolutely fine and honestly I encourage it as it's what I've done for every BioShock game so far when playing. Here's where I draw the line: Don't confirm or deny speculation.

If you've beaten this game and see someone get pretty close with their speculation then don't tell them their psychic or that they are correct (or even wrong). Wait until the game clears up their speculation, whether accurate or not, because at that point it does become a spoiler.

It's tough not to just pour out tons of info on just what we've seen in the first hour and why it's important but that ruins it for everyone here who hasn't played the game.

Edit: Although GenHavoc's post is great, I'm surprised this much could be drawn and speculated upon from the opening hour but I guess that's also why the opening sequence is so great. When I first played I was so caught up in the experience of exploring Columbia that I didn't even have time to think about it until a little later in to the game where things started to click.

Thank you, that actually is a great reassurance. I'd hate to ruin the thread before it even begins by accidentally spoiling the ending or something, and I certainly wouldn't want to go against your wishes here. Of course none of the theories I've posited above are mutually intelligible, and one has already been tossed as flat out wrong. Still, I wanted to be sure and check before barraging everyone with this much speculative crap.

And if you think that's a lot, I'm drat certain there's massive amounts of portentous stuff in that first video that I missed. One of which came to mind just as I was editing it, specifically:

• How did Booker get from the baptismal font to the garden with the statues of the founders? And for that matter, why did the priest baptize Booker twice? What did he say before the second baptism? "This one isn't clean yet"? What does that mean? What sins has Booker committed that are greater than those of ordinary people, and how would that be apparent to the priest? Or was the entire baptism sequence some kind of fever dream? Did Booker take the rocket-chair up to Columbia and land in the garden directly, and the baptism sequence was just another suspect memory?

Wildly unsupported theory #3 Booker never was in the rowboat or on the lighthouse at all. Booker lives in Columbia and for some reason, walked into the garden of the founders, fainted, and woke up with a memory of strange events leading him here. This explains why the newsboy recognizes him, and why nobody seems put off by his (presumably) different clothes or accent. It does not explain how the money he acquired in his fever dream became real, but perhaps that was money he happened to have with him at the time of him passing out. Or perhaps he was placed there by someone.

Anyway, if this sort of thing is both kosher and slightly interesting, then I'll go ahead and watch the second video and post my thoughts there as well.

GenHavoc fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 26, 2013

• Locked thread