Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Oh okay, it was really the UI that was putting me off. It looks like an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disco Nixon posted:

Oh okay, it was really the UI that was putting me off. It looks like an iPhone.

Yeah, you can fix the UI. Windows 8 also has a lot of features that make it consume less power than 7, so you'll get more battery life. These are good things.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, you can fix the UI. Windows 8 also has a lot of features that make it consume less power than 7, so you'll get more battery life. These are good things.

Is it still terrible for games?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

When was Windows 8 ever terrible for games?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

AxeManiac posted:

Only if the game irrationally hates it like Shogun 2 or some of steam's install of GFWL that come bundled with games.

e: Hell, out of all games Saints Row 2 likes Windows 8 more than Windows 7 and on most computers runs at the proper speed

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

W7 and W8 use the same driver model, shouldn't be an issue.

I'd wait on doing the 8.1 upgrade for a few weeks to a month before upgrading, software takes time to patch and there will likely be some driver weirdness for a few lucky people, especially if you're rocking a Sony "we don't need no stinkin' driver updates" model laptop.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm not understanding the Sony hate around driver releases. Dell and HP do their updates in a similar manner, and you're usually better off relying on the part manufacturer (Intel, Broadcom, AMD, etc) for updates anyway. I've already moved away from all of the Sony drivers on my Duo 13 and seeing better performance. I had the same experience with my last 2 Dell XPSs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
On older Sony models you couldn't always use the generic drivers

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Boner Slam posted:

Latitude is not a good Dell? Is that not their top range ?

Latitude E6xxx series can outperform Thinkpads in durability tests (drop tests, and the like), but you'll see plastic seams not lined up correctly. They're often better in other ways, for example the E6430 had a quad-core CPU option but the T430 didn't.

Goober Peas posted:

I'm not understanding the Sony hate around driver releases.

I think it's mostly applicable to graphics cards, because with what other component would somebody feel angry about having an older driver version?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amazon only has the base model of the Haswell Ativ 9. Samsung said it will have upgrade options.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What would be my best bet if i'm looking to get a Laptop strong enough to run Dota 2 at max settings, and some other modest (but nothing super insane) gaming? Probably not looking for something super bulky, a 14" or 15" screen at 1920 would be perfect. Budget is 900-1200. Is this doable without any major cons? I've never owned a laptop where any type of gaming has been possible in the past, so I don't know how quickly some level of video card performance really eats into battery life/raises the cost/makes the machine too bulky, etc.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
Notebookcheck.com has a review of the Thinkpad S440 in German.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Interesting that they sent them an i7 model for the Haswell unveiling

All the Ivy Bridge demo models were i5, something that's been sorely lacking so long as your name isn't Apple

website posted:

Disappointing , however, is the increase in performance of the dedicated AMD graphics that can score only slightly in games compared to the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400th

Yeah see I dont get this. Very strange that Lenovo would go down this route. Maybe having discrete graphics rated higher in some marketing poll? At least it still has an aluminum/magnesium frame, still.

Note: S440 != T440s

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 25, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Muffiner posted:

Notebookcheck.com has a review of the Thinkpad S440 in German.

ahaha it looks like an ideapad uuuuughhh

edit: Jesus Christ the lid doesn't even close anymore fully
http://www.notebookcheck.com/typo3temp/_processed_/csm_37_Kopie_d24c179d45.jpg

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah see I dont get this. Very strange that Lenovo would go down this route. Maybe having discrete graphics rated higher in some marketing poll? At least it still has an aluminum/magnesium frame, still.

The T430s was sort of the same - the NVS5200 isn't much faster than the HD4000

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I'm looking to replace my old Asus Eee PC Netbook now that its battery is shot and the keyboard is toast I figure I have an opportunity to replace it with a better option. I liked my old netbook for its portability but I figure that a 15" laptop will still fit in my backpack when needed. Recently the lack of computing power from my old netbook was getting to me as running more than one program simultaneously would put the brakes on it.

For a new laptop I figure that I want something with good battery life and maybe decent graphics. I expect that most of the school related use is going to involve statistic software packages and maybe some CAD but that isn't super likely. Other than that mostly just web browsing and document creation. I would like to be able to run World of Tanks at decent settings but that game scales well so it will probably run on whatever I pick up. I'm hoping to spend $700-$1100.

After reading some of the thread I gather that I should wait until early September when new Haswell based chips will hit the market? I like the Thinkpad series recommendation I live in the SF bay area, is there anyplace local that might carry the Thinkpad series so I can try one out? Do we have more exact release dates on these so I have an idea of when to start looking around more seriously?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

does anyone know of a permanent way to remove the touch keyboard toolbar icon from windows 8? you can shut it off but it always reappears after the computer goes to sleep (but, oddly, not when it reboots). i've searched and searched but it doesn't appear anyone has found a permanent fix. i've disabled the touch keyboard service but all that does is make the button functionless.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
OK so serious suggest me a laptop post: So if Haswell is the best option for people who want to get into anything that's processor-intensive, what's the best for someone who isn't going to be doing much that's processor intensive, and just wants the best battery life? Is Haswell also going to be what I want for that? I am looking hard at getting a new laptop, right now I have a Nexus 10 and a bluetooth keyboard, but if I run into anything that requires me to run scripts in excel I'm boned. What I will likely need for upcoming classes is Excel with scripting, Word, and Eclipse IDE. Beyond that I just want the most battery life possible.

I don't mind small, I am used to typing on an Alienware m11x : http://i.imgur.com/yVdtl2m.jpg

Just having difficulty nailing down what my power needs are

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I was thinking about getting a new Thinkpad, but that review, yeesh. Maybe I'll stick to the chromebook.

Never wait for anything. :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mutation posted:

I was thinking about getting a new Thinkpad, but that review, yeesh. Maybe I'll stick to the chromebook.

That review was for the S440, not the T440s.

So it's yet to be seen if they turned the T series into glorified ideapads or whatever.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

With a T430 with the mini displayport I could just get a cable like this to hook to the HDMI cable I already have, right? Although that looks like a Mac specific device I guess the reviews say it works for windows devices. Unless anyone has other recommendations?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mutation posted:

The review itself says that the "S" line is just the current "Edge" model re-branded. That's not really an X, T or W series at all. It even looks exactly like the current Edges. (Aka crap, but slightly better than ideapad crap)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

signalnoise posted:

OK so serious suggest me a laptop post: So if Haswell is the best option for people who want to get into anything that's processor-intensive, what's the best for someone who isn't going to be doing much that's processor intensive, and just wants the best battery life? Is Haswell also going to be what I want for that?

Haswell isn't much of a boost to power: it's a massive boost to battery life and a moderate boost to GPU. You absolutely want Haswell.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

For every day use how small is too small? I was looking at 13 inch ultra books, but maybe i can be ok with a 12 or even an 11? Anyone have experience sizing down? Is 11 just too small resolution wise?

I do some online stream watching and have been fine with a 14 inch screen, but i will probably just start connecting to a tv.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 25, 2013

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ok, I think I am looking at something like
IdeaPad Y510p: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/
or something from MSI? They are apparently known for 'gaming laptops', to which some of the bells and whistles might be too much for my needs. They also have way too many models, which confuse me.
Example Model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...#productDetails

Once again, I want something that isn't too bulky (not quite a "desktop replacement"), can handle moderate gaming (like Dota 2 or your latest MMO/skyrim type game) preferably on higher settings, has a 15 inch screen (not higher nor lower), handles heat well, and will get some OK battery life when not used for gaming. The y510p looks like an excellent choice, but I have heard the battery is it's weakest point. I would also lean towards getting the dual gpu version, which might lead to other inconveniences.

Any input/recommendations/stuff I should look at or avoid? I might just bite the bullet for the Y510p if I can't find something comparable that will handle some of the factors I listed better. Budget: $1000 give or take a few hundy

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BabyRyoga posted:

or something from MSI? They are apparently known for 'gaming laptops', to which some of the bells and whistles might be too much for my needs. They also have way too many models, which confuse me.

Once again, I want something that isn't too bulky (not quite a "desktop replacement"), can handle moderate gaming (like Dota 2 or your latest MMO/skyrim type game) preferably on higher settings, has a 15 inch screen (not higher nor lower), handles heat well, and will get some OK battery life when not used for gaming. The y510p looks like an excellent choice, but I have heard the battery is it's weakest point. I would also lean towards getting the dual gpu version, which might lead to other inconveniences.

Any input/recommendations/stuff I should look at or avoid? I might just bite the bullet for the Y510p if I can't find something comparable that will handle some of the factors I listed better. Budget: $1000 give or take a few hundy

Don't bother with the dual GPU, they get so hot that they throttle and you'll see marginal gains in performance and you lose your optical drive. For about the same money as the dual GPU option you can buy a SSD, swap that in, then put the 1TB HDD in a caddy in the optical bay. Switching to SSD for your main will show you a way way bigger performance improvement than the dual GPU (gimmick)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Haswell isn't much of a boost to power: it's a massive boost to battery life and a moderate boost to GPU. You absolutely want Haswell.

Thanks for this

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DoesNotCompute posted:

Don't bother with the dual GPU, they get so hot that they throttle and you'll see marginal gains in performance and you lose your optical drive. For about the same money as the dual GPU option you can buy a SSD, swap that in, then put the 1TB HDD in a caddy in the optical bay. Switching to SSD for your main will show you a way way bigger performance improvement than the dual GPU (gimmick)

Maybe a comparable MSI machine that uses a single (but slightly more powerful) GPU, and has a much better SSD option (big plus) at a similar price point? The Y510p without the SLI graphics might be just under what I would want in terms of GPU power by a slight margin. These are all fairly new machines, and reading random reviews usually leaves me indecisive.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

havenwaters posted:

That review was for the S440, not the T440s.

So it's yet to be seen if they turned the T series into glorified ideapads or whatever.

After a long fight with myself I was almost ready to accept the hinge changes and the lack of nipple buttons, but I swear to god if they gonna have this lovely non-clamshell open dustcollector/wobbleshit of a display I am never going to buy a thinkpad again. drat. This is so essential I don't even know. My current tp is what, 4 or 5 years old. The hinges are properly hosed, after all those years of abuse, but I know I can still throw that bastard into my bag or whatever because if it is closed it loving stays closed and I also don't have to worry about poo poo getting between the keyboard and the screen, which is important. But this? gently caress you Lenovo.

edit: I know it ain't the T440 I just like to freak out preemtively

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

OK so serious suggest me a laptop post: So if Haswell is the best option for people who want to get into anything that's processor-intensive, what's the best for someone who isn't going to be doing much that's processor intensive, and just wants the best battery life? Is Haswell also going to be what I want for that? I am looking hard at getting a new laptop, right now I have a Nexus 10 and a bluetooth keyboard, but if I run into anything that requires me to run scripts in excel I'm boned. What I will likely need for upcoming classes is Excel with scripting, Word, and Eclipse IDE. Beyond that I just want the most battery life possible.

Yes; Haswell laptops tend to have a significantly better battery life than equivalent Ivy Bridge laptops. My guess is that an i3 Haswell would be what you want (but we have to wait for more laptops with these and i5s and i7s and no dGPUs to actually come out)

Russian Bear posted:

For every day use how small is too small? I was looking at 13 inch ultra books, but maybe i can be ok with a 12 or even an 11? Anyone have experience sizing down? Is 11 just too small resolution wise?

I do some online stream watching and have been fine with a 14 inch screen, but i will probably just start connecting to a tv.

Do you have a store in your town that sells laptops? You can probably go see for yourself how an 11-inch screen feels. Personally I think they're fine

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

I would strongly suggest that you consider the Y410p instead. It'll be less bulky and will actually run games better (smaller screen resolution on the same hardware) than the y510p, and it's cheaper. The difference between a 14" and 15.6" screen is hardly noticeable.

The $829 y410p model is what you'd want, and then buy your own SSD and slap that in there. If you need more disk space, put the 1TB 5400RPM drive into your optical bay (the enclosures cost around $10-15, and if you badly need to be able to read DVDs then external DVD drives are around $30). It'll meet basically all of your requirements, but yes, battery life on the y-series hasn't been the greatest (~4-5 hours). This is the trade-off of having a dGPU and only a 6-cell battery.

Do not ever get a dual GPU laptop. This has always been a bad idea.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

QuarkJets posted:

It'll meet basically all of your requirements, but yes, battery life on the y-series hasn't been the greatest (~4-5 hours). This is the trade-off of having a dGPU and only a 6-cell battery.

With the Optimus thing nvidia drivers have now, couldn't you put it on the (integrated) HD4x00 when on battery, and eke out some more battery life that way? Assuming you're not gaming on battery, because who does that

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Battery life on the y410p is around 4 hours with it running on HD4600. I imagine the battery life would be a lot worse on the 750m.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

QuarkJets posted:

I would strongly suggest that you consider the Y410p instead. It'll be less bulky and will actually run games better (smaller screen resolution on the same hardware) than the y510p, and it's cheaper. The difference between a 14" and 15.6" screen is hardly noticeable.

The $829 y410p model is what you'd want, and then buy your own SSD and slap that in there. If you need more disk space, put the 1TB 5400RPM drive into your optical bay (the enclosures cost around $10-15, and if you badly need to be able to read DVDs then external DVD drives are around $30). It'll meet basically all of your requirements, but yes, battery life on the y-series hasn't been the greatest (~4-5 hours). This is the trade-off of having a dGPU and only a 6-cell battery.

Do not ever get a dual GPU laptop. This has always been a bad idea.

What exactly would I have to do to replace the 1TB with a 240gb+ SSD drive, and use the 1TB in the optical bay as storage if I were to get a y410p or y510p? It would be a very basic and easy install, and I would probably need to reinstall the OS and stuff onto the SSD, right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How is the build quality on Chromebooks?

My father is looking for a machine solely for browsing, office work which could be done on Libre Office or even Google Docs, and streaming video. If Chromebooks have solid build quality and the CPU is enough to stream Hulu and similar services, then a Chromebook is go. Otherwise the best option I see is a Thinkpad X-series. Priorities are portability, under 13" size, good build quality, and battery life of 5 hours with moderate usage. A DVI, HDMI, or DP output is also required as it will be used plugged into external monitor and KB+M when plugged in. He's open to spending the ~$700 needed for a basic X230 or X240, but really has no need for that much CPU & GPU power. Solid build quality is very important, he has complained to me that all of the laptops except the T-series and Latitude 6xxx he's dealt with at work are cheap plastic junk. Budget has a hard line at $750, with a strong preference to spend less.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Weinertron posted:

How is the build quality on Chromebooks?

My father is looking for a machine solely for browsing, office work which could be done on Libre Office or even Google Docs, and streaming video. If Chromebooks have solid build quality and the CPU is enough to stream Hulu and similar services, then a Chromebook is go. Otherwise the best option I see is a Thinkpad X-series. Priorities are portability, under 13" size, good build quality, and battery life of 5 hours with moderate usage. A DVI, HDMI, or DP output is also required as it will be used plugged into external monitor and KB+M when plugged in. He's open to spending the ~$700 needed for a basic X230 or X240, but really has no need for that much CPU & GPU power. Solid build quality is very important, he has complained to me that all of the laptops except the T-series and Latitude 6xxx he's dealt with at work are cheap plastic junk. Budget has a hard line at $750, with a strong preference to spend less.

The Acer Chromebook has 3 USBs, a VGA, and an HDMI. So basically it's perfect for your dad.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
This Acer Chromebook feels amazingly well built for it's price. Heck, even the trackpad feels much better than most of the trackpads I've used. The only other time I felt this comfortable with the tap-to-click function was with a Macbook.

The only real complaint I have against it is the glossy screen. loving glossy screens!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I've read the OP, so I know I'm supposed to wait for Haswell.
However, I'm currently looking at a Thinkpad Edge E330, because I need a notebook sooner rather than later. The most I could justify waiting (and that would hurt) is maybe a month. No one knows when Edges with Haswell are coming out, I take it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

What exactly would I have to do to replace the 1TB with a 240gb+ SSD drive, and use the 1TB in the optical bay as storage if I were to get a y410p or y510p? It would be a very basic and easy install, and I would probably need to reinstall the OS and stuff onto the SSD, right?

It would be a very easy and basic install. You would need to reinstall the OS onto your SSD, but you should want to get rid of all of the pre-installed bloat anyway, so that's a wash.

1) Open the panel covering the drive (get a screwdriver)
2) Remove the drive
3) Put the drive in the enclosure and screw it in place
4) Unscrew the optical drive and pull it out
5) Push the enclosure into the optical bay, screw it in
6) Put your SSD in the old HDD's place
7) Install OS onto your SSD, either with an external DVD drive or a USB stick

Maybe 1-2 hours total. It's extremely easy, does not require any specialized knowledge so long as you're smart enough to be able to use a screwdriver. There are a hundred million guides online for doing this with whatever specific laptop you happen to have, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Are there still any known goon Dell sellers to get a discount? I remember ryansomethingorother was selling stuff, I'd like to see just how cheap I can get a haswell XPS 12.

Also anyone know how hard it is to change the ram/hdd in a xps 12?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 26, 2013