Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Thanks guys, I went to Pikes for lunch and had several people try and sell to me, but I've got an interview today for a Law Enforcement IT job and if I get it I'll probably have to piss in a cup.
Possibly related, but what the general requirements to joining say a state police "cyber crimes division"? Massive amounts of forensics experience or do you need to join and work your way over from detective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

incoherent posted:

I've went back and forth with his book and the Self-paced. It is good book to augment. I would recommend signing up for safari books as you're going to get pretty much all the good books in addition to the MS ones.

The MS books provide examples to lab out with and they walk you though each step.

Can you give me links to what you are referring to. I do not want to get or select the wrong item(s).

Thanks in advance.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, it's up and running now. Self paced, fairly mundane. It's basically a set of exercises you do in a virtual lab according to slides and a book that you should buy but I guess you don't have to. Honestly I wouldn't recommend this to someone who wasn't already somewhat familiar with vSphere, but as a means to knock out your cheap VCP classroom prereq. it's pretty decent.

The lab machines are super slow :(

Yeah this is my complaint about it too. It really is just a hurdle to jump over to be able to take the exam. I won't learn much if anything from it. Also I don't like the instructors speaking voice being a New Englander.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

Can you give me links to what you are referring to. I do not want to get or select the wrong item(s).

Thanks in advance.

http://www.safaribooksonline.com is the site. Its a subscription service, but they have all the major books for access. If you go here, you can sign up for 20/mo for 6 months. (this is not a referral, its just the link on the website).

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
How does the CD access work then? The book descriptions all talk about the CD.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Ozu posted:

Possibly related, but what the general requirements to joining say a state police "cyber crimes division"? Massive amounts of forensics experience or do you need to join and work your way over from detective?

Most of the guys I've ever met in that position were police officers first. The Fed puts on some really intensive computer forensics class at FLETC in Georgia, and to qualify go there you don't need to know a whole lot more than the average skilled computer user. Mostly understanding how disks work and some basic command line stuff. The first class (IDEA) is a week and gets everyone up to speed for forensics, but the second class (SCERS) is two weeks and from what I've heard it's a lot harder than the website makes it sound. FLETC also offers a ton of other computer related courses, but those are the big ones. A lot of the other stuff in "Cyber" poo poo is just being savvy about social networking and which hip hops those kids are playing on their boom blasters these days. It is possible to work your way in from the IT side, but it's also possible that at some point you'll likely have to cross over and get sworn in. The exception would be major metro departments.

Here's FLETC's page on it. Technically these are all certs that you would put on your resume so I guess it's relevant.
https://www.fletc.gov/training/programs/technical-operations-division

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Awesome info. Thank you very much.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Got 800 on 70-647 this morning. The scenario questions are hard, having to read the requirements and take notes and then look back and forth between them and the questions adds another layer of difficulty to what is already an exercise in figuring out which answer is more correct in the mind of whoever wrote the test. I spent all day yesterday watching CBT nuggets, including everything on CA/PKI, which helped a lot. It's nice to be done with James Conrad.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Congrats! That finishes your :EA right?

You done for a while or are you going to hit the 2012 stuff?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Yep, that's it, took me long enough, all the other exams are pre-R2 and the desktop one is vista. Going to take a break and then look at Cisco next, our company has a knowledge deficit there and it's becoming more of a problem.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

scheduled my ICND2 for next Friday. I'm going to be super burnt out by the end of next week. I have a Fibre Channel/iSCSI storage class at work all week while I'll be studying for this test.

Gonna be good times, but I've put off actually taking the test too long

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
My Cisco stuff starts Monday, they don't even have the new books yet. After coming off my failure for 70-642 I am not having hope for the new CCNA course material.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

sanchez posted:

Yep, that's it, took me long enough, all the other exams are pre-R2 and the desktop one is vista. Going to take a break and then look at Cisco next, our company has a knowledge deficit there and it's becoming more of a problem.

That's how I got my first big networking job, saw a shortage of personal that knew Cisco, learned it, got a new job.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
VCAP-DCD on the books, wonder how this will go

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Trying to think ahead a bit. The class is going to start with a CCENT goal which I believe is the new 100-101 test. What lab equipment on the cheap should I keep my eye out for in order to setup a home practice lab?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Psydude once recommended:
2-3 2950 switches
2 2600 routers
misc cabling and 2 wan cards

Alternatively:
GNS3

Alternatively:
I've been learning a bit from the NetSim program from Boson but it costs $$.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There's a dedicated home lab thread here in SH/SC now, FYI.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I tried giving GNS3 a look and it just didnt work. That was 8 months ago though.

Thanks for the home lab thread tip!

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 25, 2013

workape
Jul 23, 2002

MrBigglesworth posted:

I tried giving GNS3 a look and it just didnt work. That was 8 months ago though.

Thanks for the home lab thread tip!

What are you having issues with GNS3 doing specifically? It may be that you don't have the appropriate iOS image for what you are trying. Are you getting a specific error? I've managed to finally replicate the IPExpert topology in GNS3 this past week, it's got Ethernet, serial, frame relay, multiple routing protocols, redistribution, multicast, etc. I've got the base configs laid down if anyone else is using ip expert for studying and is interested in a copy of the GNS3 set up let me know.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
The biggest obstacle was getting an IOS image that they recommended. As I have no IOS devices I had no way of legally procuring it. And being that I want legit software I didn't look to the obvious places.

Also, just the setup itself was crazy (even before IOS was involved) there were like 13 different files you had to download. It just seemed it would be more streamlined to have an installation package for all the stuff they provided from the SourceForge link. Again, this was many moons ago I havent checked to see if it has been updated since.

Edit=and now I have the confusion of GNS3 AND GNS3 Workbench.....ugh.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

They have an all-in-one installer that takes care of the whole shebang. And I'm not positive, but you may be able to download some versions of 12.X from the Cisco website without having the devices registered to your CCO account.

ROUTE is 100% doable through GNS3, and I'd actually recommend it because it's the easiest way and cheapest way to create a lot of the topologies that the lab book and other practice exercises recommend.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Which they though? GNS3 or GNS3 Workbench?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
In theory you can pick up a 3750 on eBay and rip it's IOS. Then download VMWare player and the GNS3 Workbench VMware image. Then you can use the 3750 ios image in gns3.

Even using ios images in GNS3 is a legal grey area though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can you even use a switch image in GNS3? I haven't touched it in a while but last time I checked the ASICs in switches prevented you from that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Martytoof posted:

Can you even use a switch image in GNS3? I haven't touched it in a while but last time I checked the ASICs in switches prevented you from that.

Nah you can't. That's the only shortcoming of GNS3. You can do Cisco routers, Juniper routers, Cisco ASAs, IP phones, this, that, the other thing, but... not switches.

Boson NetSim lets you do switches, as does Cisco Packet Tracer. NetSim is really nice, but kinda convoluted. Packet Tracer is really nice, but a bit limited (doesn't have anything other than 1xxx and 2xxx routers).

GNS3 is amazing when you figure out how to hook up GNS3 routers with real hardware switches. When you're got a home router hooked up to a home switch hooked up to a GNS3 network which is going through multiple routers, a Juniper thing here and there, an ASA, and some VMs running Unity software and software VoIP phones... man, that's livin'. :clint:

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I had meant to buy a 3725. Made a mistake there. 'c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T10.bin' is the recommended image for GNS3 workbench.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ToG posted:

I had meant to buy a 3725. Made a mistake there. 'c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T10.bin' is the recommended image for GNS3 workbench.

Ah yeah, that makes more sense :)

I should have figured that's what you meant.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
OK, so confused now, do I want GNS3 or GNS3 Workbench????

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrBigglesworth posted:

OK, so confused now, do I want GNS3 or GNS3 Workbench????

GNS3 Workbench is just a virtual machine image that runs GNS3 in a dedicated linux machine and comes with some labs and stuff to work on. I thought it was a little bit of a pain in the rear end to use compared to just plain old GNS3 on my computer, but to each their own.

VVV Truth fistbump, Marty. :hfive:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 26, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. I think it's worth investing the time to learn how to set up GNS3 yourself rather than going for some prepackaged ISO.

I don't mean to dunk on anyone's ability or anything, but if you're going for a CCNA you should probably have enough skillset to not be completely flustered by the app, at least to the point where you can tell if any problems you're experiencing are faults in GNS3 or just something you're not doing right.

I realize that sounds kind of dickish, but it's my viewpoint on the whole prepackaged GNS3 thing.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Once I've achieved my CCNA (hopefully) in a couple of weeks, I was thinking about trying to work on a Linux certification.

I'm just looking at the scope of the RHCSA and it looks pretty straightforward. Am I massively underestimating it? FWIW I have precisely zero enterprise Linux experience, but have been a Linux user at home off-and-on now for years, and I'm perfectly comfortable at the command prompt, writing shell scripts, compiling from source etc.

Also, would I be able to use Fedora for studying, or is it going to contain material specific to RHEL?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

moron posted:

Once I've achieved my CCNA (hopefully) in a couple of weeks, I was thinking about trying to work on a Linux certification.

I'm just looking at the scope of the RHCSA and it looks pretty straightforward. Am I massively underestimating it? FWIW I have precisely zero enterprise Linux experience, but have been a Linux user at home off-and-on now for years, and I'm perfectly comfortable at the command prompt, writing shell scripts, compiling from source etc.

Also, would I be able to use Fedora for studying, or is it going to contain material specific to RHEL?

I'd say that you should either use an evaluation version of RHEL or use CentOS. It's pretty straightforward and easy to get an evaluation copy of RHEL though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CentOS. Or you can also use AWS Free tier if you need to have the RHEL badge.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ozu posted:

CentOS. Or you can also use AWS Free tier if you need to have the RHEL badge.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

I'm admittedly not that familiar with AWS, but how does that help with RHEL?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Set up Amazon EC2 server with RHEL.

Connect
Learn

Free Tier:
750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux/UNIX or RHEL† Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month*

† The following Linux variants are not eligible for the free usage tier as a software license is required: SuSe Linux Enterprise Server..

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I'd say that you should either use an evaluation version of RHEL or use CentOS. It's pretty straightforward and easy to get an evaluation copy of RHEL though.

Yeah Fedora is different enough that it's not appropriate, but CentOS is also free and is literally just RHEL with trademarks like logos changed out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

KetTarma posted:

Set up Amazon EC2 server with RHEL.

Connect
Learn

Free Tier:
750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux/UNIX or RHEL† Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month*

† The following Linux variants are not eligible for the free usage tier as a software license is required: SuSe Linux Enterprise Server..

Oh hot drat that's kinda cool

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Alternatively, load CentOS into a VM on your desktop or whatever.

...or do what I do and put it on your school netbook :getin:

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
Finished MSFT 70-685 with 700 points, the minimum passing score.

Was pretty drat sure I would fail.

I'm annoyed at Transcender for providing completely different prep material than what I actually encountered. Oh well, I now have my MCSA in Windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Yeah Fedora is different enough that it's not appropriate, but CentOS is also free and is literally just RHEL with trademarks like logos changed out.

If you ever talk to a Redhat rep, try and drop CentOS somewhere in the conversation. When I did, the sales team emitted some primal hiss and began to speak at length about how CentOS is different than Redhat.

Anyway, to get on topic, I started reading about the RHCSA lately. I got the impression that it was easy as well. But I don't know anyone who's taken the test, so I don't know for sure.