Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't get the strip title.

"Last in the Coffin." What might that be referring to? Think of something you might find at a hardware store... something that gets hammered into a coffin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

greatn posted:

What does Sabine even have class levels in? Her CR seems a little low for any of these guys at this point.

She's a rogue.

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't get the strip title.

Last nail (Nale) in the coffin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Tarquin is completely hosed. His whole "he was just cluttering up the obvious narrative arc between me and you" thing is going to bite him in the rear end so so hard.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Tarquin is completely hosed. His whole "he was just cluttering up the obvious narrative arc between me and you" thing is going to bite him in the rear end so so hard.

Especially when he said that everyone who met Nale wanted him dead. That's just setting up to be offed by the two who didn't.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I keep my theory that his punishment will be dying a forgettable, almost off-panel death. Maybe raised as a mindless thrall by Xykon or something, not because of any revenge fantasy, but because it would just be so fitting. Maybe Sabine will help orchestrate it all somehow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just cast clone on Elan. You'll have an evil twin who wants to kill him. Nale problem solved. Hey maybe they already did when he was a baby as part of the divorce settlement so they'd each have one.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I will be so sad if she kills Tarquin.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

On the one hand, Sabine can't possibly kill Tarquin. He's a mastermind tactician, has a mastery of Knowledge: Plot that exceeds that of Elan and he's got tricks up his sleeve that have further tricks up their sleeve.

On the other, he apparently doesn't consider Sabine a threat or he forgot her entirely, which according to Plot means she's going to kill or at least seriously inconvenience him.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

What does Sabine even have class levels in? Her CR seems a little low for any of these guys at this point.

I'm pretty sure someone said that she had Rogue levels at some point, but I'm not sure we've ever seen her sneak attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nimby posted:

On the one hand, Sabine can't possibly kill Tarquin. He's a mastermind tactician, has a mastery of Knowledge: Plot that exceeds that of Elan and he's got tricks up his sleeve that have further tricks up their sleeve.

On the other, he apparently doesn't consider Sabine a threat or he forgot her entirely, which according to Plot means she's going to kill or at least seriously inconvenience him.

Tarquin has a master of plot but doesn't understand the plot he is in. He's utterly convinced that he is setting himself up as the dramatic rival to the hero and... he's not. He's taking over for Nale, the goofy "evil twin" of the party's good-natured comic relief. The guy who exists to fail, repeatedly, in humiliating ways and who just got ignominiously swept off the board.

He's good at rules-lawyering the plot but he isn't as good at reading it as Elan is and that is going to be his downfall.

(Not to mention that V is literally sitting right there while all this happens.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 26, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

V has a bit of a bad track record when it comes to telling his teammates really important bits. Hopefully he'll spill the beans on at least one of them after this.

Tarquin's whole plan relies on the idea that one day a hero will come along and defeat him. I'm looking forward to seeing how the narrative dynamic changes when it's a devil with a grudge instead of a hero.

Not the plan about being the secret ruler of the evil empire, though, he's got that one in the bag, but the legend thing.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The moment Tarquin finds out that Elan is the comic relief and realizes he's a side villain at best will be amazing. I love Tarquin and all, but it's pretty obvious he's setting himself up for a massive ego-shattering fall here. All it takes is Roy mentioning offhand that he's the leader of the party and Tarquin will have a massive breakdown when he realizes the narrative implications of it.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Does he still think that Elan leads the party? Tarquin seems to recognize that Roy is the brains of the group after that Holy Word ambush.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

greatn posted:

Oh, a plasma screen! Nice.

...:neckbeard:

And... Wow, Tarquin really is a thorough S.O.B. I doubt Sabine will kill him, but if she were to, say, kill his friend... Well, getting the satisfaction that he'd be well and truly hosed to a slow death by dehydration if he didn't bother giving his other buddies any idea of where he was would strike me as just as good to her.

Even if he still has a means of getting out, he'd most likely have to leave his entire standing army behind, meaning he's still screwed if any of the other countries that aren't under his buddies' control decide to seize the advantage while the Order continues on to the final Gate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Tarquin knows that Elan isn't the leader of the Order, and he even remarks that it's because Bards are very underpowered, even though they shouldn't be. Hell, Elan even did nothing but use Inspire Courage in the first fight and his song was "Try, try, try not to get in the way!" right in front of Tarquin. There's no doubt about Elan's place in the team to his father.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

TurninTrix posted:

Does he still think that Elan leads the party? Tarquin seems to recognize that Roy is the brains of the group after that Holy Word ambush.

It's key to his whole delusion about Elan being the big hero to his main villain. It's common for groups to have a 'smart guy' that isn't the leader, so recognizing that Roy is a tactical genius doesn't interfere with anything on his end.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tarquin's first words in this extended conversation that's been going on were a request for Roy to 'send my other son up here.' I don't see any reason for him to presume that Elan is THE Big Hero, he just knows he is one of THE Big Heroes, and he definitely also knows that he isn't the leader.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I love how Tarquin describes Nale with almost the very same words some of the people in here did.

Also have to love some people in GITP being in denial about Nale's definitive death. "The dagger has a drop of his blood! Of course Tarquin will resurrect him when his Psion isn't watching!".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I love how Tarquin describes Nale with almost the very same words some of the people in here did.

Also have to love some people in GITP being in denial about Nale's definitive death. "The dagger has a drop of his blood! Of course Tarquin will resurrect him when his Psion isn't watching!".

"Does it have to be an actual drop of blood, or does it work with dried bits?!"

And this all assumes Nale would swallow his pride to let a servant of the man who killed him and whom he explicitly outlined as hating right before he died bring him back for whatever scheme Tarquin has.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Disintegrate doesn't stop True Resurrection. All you need to do is find a 17th level cleric and 25,000gp worth of diamonds.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Give them a chance for some melodrama."

Tarquin understands stories, but I'm not sure he understands people at all.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Drakyn posted:

Tarquin's first words in this extended conversation that's been going on were a request for Roy to 'send my other son up here.' I don't see any reason for him to presume that Elan is THE Big Hero, he just knows he is one of THE Big Heroes, and he definitely also knows that he isn't the leader.

Huh, guess I forgot about that. My point about him not realizing that Elan is the comic relief still stands, though. I reread some stuff, and after the ambush in the Pyramid Tarquin was questioning why Roy "held Elan back" from combat. He was also confused about Elan standing there and playing the lute during the fight where he was pretending to be Thog. He's definitely made some wrong assumptions about Elan's combat prowess. He seems to be under the impression that Elan is the best combatant in the group.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Disintegrate doesn't stop True Resurrection. All you need to do is find a 17th level cleric and 25,000gp worth of diamonds.

Does it still have the requirement that the target be willing to come back, though?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Angela Christine posted:

"Give them a chance for some melodrama."

Tarquin understands stories, but I'm not sure he understands people at all.

There's a world of difference between not knowing that people have feelings and simply not caring in the least.

It's almost like he's an evil villain who regularly runs roughshod over others for crass material gain.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

greatn posted:

rogue, probably, given that she used to be Haley's opposite back when that was a thing for the linear guild

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Regalingualius posted:

Does it still have the requirement that the target be willing to come back, though?

No, but the target doesn't know who is raising them, only their alignment. And since Durkula is now Evil, Elan could ask for him to cast the spell and Nale would probably accept under the impression it was Sabine who had found a cleric.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
I get the feeling the title is also an indicator that Rich is done culling the cast. Literally, the last in the coffin. At least for a while. I don't see Tarquin dying anytime soon, by Sabine's hand or Elan's. And it may push off whatever is going to axe Belkar for a while yet, too.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Really, unless you had very particular reasons to believe that there was someone with plans for you that you'd rather stay dead than allow to be carried out, why wouldn't you accept a rez regardless of the cleric's alignment?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

mcswizzle posted:

I get the feeling the title is also an indicator that Rich is done culling the cast. Literally, the last in the coffin. At least for a while. I don't see Tarquin dying anytime soon, by Sabine's hand or Elan's. And it may push off whatever is going to axe Belkar for a while yet, too.

I'm thinking the same. Rich just killed/vamped Durkon and killed off 2 villains, while building up Tarquin's character. Killing him right now would be too much, too soon and a bit of an anticlimax.

Though if Rich has been following Game of Thrones, he might do it just to spite the readers like George R.R. Martin.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ZearothK posted:

Reminds me of V's contemptuous "Now can we please resume saving the world?" after disintegrating that other irritating third-tier villain.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Slashrat posted:

Really, unless you had very particular reasons to believe that there was someone with plans for you that you'd rather stay dead than allow to be carried out, why wouldn't you accept a rez regardless of the cleric's alignment?

The main idea is that if an evil priest resurrects you, and you don't have any evil priest friends, they probably want to torture you or capture your soul. I'm not sure why you'd refuse resurrection by a good priest unless you're a paranoid idiot or you're happy with your afterlife.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can see Sabine's revenge plot as one of those separate-but-influential storyarcs like the recent history of Gobbotopia.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Who What Now posted:

And who was the Cleric in Tarquin's adventuring group? Oh that's right!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Alchenar posted:

And who was the Cleric in Tarquin's adventuring group? Oh that's right!

That's okay, because they have a spare!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A lot of people are under the assumption that Tarquin thinks he's the villain of this story. He's not and he knows it. He's thinks he's the villain of the next story which will happen once Elan wraps up that saving the world thing. Which is a major part of why he's so blase about events right now; the outcome doesn't really matter to him beyond not wanting to see the world destroyed. He'll still be there once that story (and the comic) wraps up.

Of course, it looks like he just set himself up to being kicked over as a subplot to this story and isn't aware enough to know it's happening.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if Nale does get a resurrection for a dramatic moment in the final arc. It would be a good way to give him a moment of small redemption, a big twist for Tarquin, and let the Sabine plot with him wrap up.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

That's okay, because they have a spare!

Who? The lady with Tarquin right now is a Psion.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

terminal mehmet posted:

Durkula.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Is the Order 17th level, though? I don't think Durkula is gonna be gaining many more levels due to his ECL modifier on account of being a vampire.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

terminal mehmet posted:

It's a quote from this comic http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0881.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm looking forward to the heads exploding when the fiends just kill her off for being a possible monkey wrench in their plans for the snarl.

"But her unresolved plot!" if you only off a character after they have no more stories in them you get a tensionless story.