Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Friedpundit posted:

Anyone know of a way I can see bigger versions of those Zatoichi covers?

I might be able to post something, I'll have to check and see if it's okay though. I'll have an update this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridley327
Feb 9, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Maybe not entirely. I notice Zatoichi 1989 is conspicuously absent.

IIRC, Media Blasters have the rights to that film. It's available for streaming on Hulu.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Origami Dali posted:

Maybe not entirely. I notice Zatoichi 1989 is conspicuously absent.

Correct: http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1012-zatoichi-the-blind-swordsman

The set is 1962-1973, with 25 films for $179.96. (Which is a hell of a deal - Just under $7.20 per film.)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Friedpundit posted:

Anyone know of a way I can see bigger versions of those Zatoichi covers?

Right click the cover you want to see and select "open image in new tab". Replace the "w100" at the end of the filename in the url with "original" and you can see a larger version. Not huge, but still.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Red posted:

Correct: http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1012-zatoichi-the-blind-swordsman

The set is 1962-1973, with 25 films for $179.96. (Which is a hell of a deal - Just under $7.20 per film.)

And if you wait till the B&N sale, 50% off the SRP is about $113 (about $4.50 a film). I'm positively giddy about getting this.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Hewlett posted:

And if you wait till the B&N sale, 50% off the SRP is about $113 (about $4.50 a film). I'm positively giddy about getting this.

Can someone sell me on these Zatoichi films? I hadn't heard of them until listening to the Criterion Cast podcast a few days ago where they discussed the rumoured Zatoichi set possibly coming. They were excited and wondering how they were going to release it. Now that this massive 27-disc set is on the way, I'm thinking this is may be too much money for a potential blind buy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

friendo55 posted:

Can someone sell me on these Zatoichi films? I hadn't heard of them until listening to the Criterion Cast podcast a few days ago where they discussed the rumoured Zatoichi set possibly coming. They were excited and wondering how they were going to release it. Now that this massive 27-disc set is on the way, I'm thinking this is may be too much money for a potential blind buy.

You could always pay for a month of Hulu Plus, sample them, and make your decision that way.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I don't even think you need Hulu plus, because it's letting me watch them for free. :confused:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, I think the Zatoichis are default for free on Hulu; they keep a few staples consistently free, like Hoop Dreams.

As for me, I remember catching snippets of them every so often when I was a teenager, since they would always shown them weekend afternoons on IFC. They were always great fun to watch, even if I was a bit lost since I would always tune in in the middle of them.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

morestuff posted:

You could always pay for a month of Hulu Plus, sample them, and make your decision that way.

I'm in Canada and thus have zero access to Hulu. :(

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

You might find some Zatoichi on youtube.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
There's definitely a great blind swordsman/blind buy pun to be made here but I just can't seem to make it happen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion confirmed via email that City Lights will only have the original 1931 soundtrack. No re-recording. Unfortunate, but it's part of the stipulations by the Chaplin Estate. At least the original should sound great considering the miracles worked on other early films like Vampyr and M by Criterion, as well as Modern Times (which is one of the richest sounding mono tracks I've heard).

Also, they put out a statement about switching dual format on their site;
http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/2873-why-dual-format

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
ComicsAlliance has an article about the artwork used in the upcoming Zatoichi set.

And apologies for the shameless plug, but I'm selling my Blow Out and Charade blu-rays in SA Mart if anyone's interested.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/2483-flash-sale

The last Criterion.com sale was on September 24 of last year, so can we expect one this year at about the same time?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ComicsAlliance has an article about the artwork used in the upcoming Zatoichi set.

And apologies for the shameless plug, but I'm selling my Blow Out and Charade blu-rays in SA Mart if anyone's interested.

I know one of the artists who worked on that.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I wonder how long they were working on this set. I doubt Criterion would release anything that didn't get their best restoration efforts.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Red posted:

I think so. Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Darjeeling all got BD re-releases.

Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom didn't get a Criterion release.

Which sucks, because Moonrise is by far my favourite Anderson film.

I just saw that Tokyo Story is getting a Blu-Ray release in November, which was briefly mentioned in this thread, and I am hoping that I can grab that in BN's November sale.

e: Along with the John Cassavetes five films BR that is getting released in October, which I just found out about now.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 26, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Twin Cinema posted:

e: Along with the John Cassavetes five films BR that is getting released in October, which I just found out about now.

Oh, nice, I had no idea about that one. Might have to pick it up because I've seen Faces and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie but not the rest.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Twin Cinema posted:

Which sucks, because Moonrise is by far my favourite Anderson film.

Darjeeling had a lovely Fox release for a few years before Criterion released it, if I remember right. Give it time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

kaujot posted:

Darjeeling had a lovely Fox release for a few years before Criterion released it, if I remember right. Give it time.

That release was DVD-only, though, wasn't it?

The existing release for Moonrise Kingdom appears to be fairly decent - DVD/BD/UV/Digital Copy

Extras:
• Featurette: A Look Inside Moonrise Kingdom (3:07)
• Welcome to the Island of New Penzance (Murray, Willis, Norton, Anderson - 6:11)
• Set Tour With Bill Murray (3:09)

Source: DVD Beaver

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Red posted:

The existing release for Moonrise Kingdom appears to be fairly decent - DVD/BD/UV/Digital Copy

Extras:
• Featurette: A Look Inside Moonrise Kingdom (3:07)
• Welcome to the Island of New Penzance (Murray, Willis, Norton, Anderson - 6:11)
• Set Tour With Bill Murray (3:09)

Source: DVD Beaver

The existing release of Fantastic Mr. Fox is also good...

- Making Mr. Fox Fantastic (1080p, 44:48)
- A Beginner's Guide to Whack-Bat (1080p, 1:12)
- Fantastic Mr. Fox: The World of Roald Dahl (1080i, 3:00)
- Theatrical Trailer (1080p, 2:27)

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
Both of those releases look beautiful to boot, imo. In addition to being pretty drat cheap. All a Criterion release would be good for in this case is more special features; Moonrise Kingdom's in particular are VERY press-kit-y.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Red posted:

The Fox release? Yeah, maybe, though I don't really remember. What does that matter though?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

juan the owl posted:

Both of those releases look beautiful to boot, imo. In addition to being pretty drat cheap. All a Criterion release would be good for in this case is more special features; Moonrise Kingdom's in particular are VERY press-kit-y.

Which is why I want Criterion to release it.

But, looking at my previous post, I should have mentioned that the Moonrise Kingdom BR is an excellent release in terms of quality (and price!), but I would have liked more special features. Now that I have thought about it for more than a few seconds, though, I don't know if I would be willing to pay the price for those special features, rendering my last post moot.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

kaujot posted:

The Fox release? Yeah, maybe, though I don't really remember. What does that matter though?

The poster(s) asking about Darjeeling were specifically asking about which Anderson films had gotten a Blu-Ray "upgrade" from the initial DVD release years before BD was the new media standard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Twin Cinema posted:

Which is why I want Criterion to release it.

But, looking at my previous post, I should have mentioned that the Moonrise Kingdom BR is an excellent release in terms of quality (and price!), but I would have liked more special features. Now that I have thought about it for more than a few seconds, though, I don't know if I would be willing to pay the price for those special features, rendering my last post moot.

The main thing I'd spring for in both cases would be a Wes Anderson commentary track; I love it on Royal Tenenbaums, and having it on my second-and-third favorite Anderson films would be wonderful.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Any idea if Criterion has plans for more Kaurismaki? Have been going through most of their releases and really enjoying them, but his others films don't seem to be available/have crummy releases. Would especially love to see the trilogy of Drifting Clouds/Man Without a Past/Lights in the Dusk.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
From today's newsletter. No idea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

robix smash posted:

From today's newsletter. No idea.

A Single Man?

:psyduck:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's probably Persona. They have it on iTunes as coming Sept. 17, so that might end up being a December title.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

It's probably Persona. They have it on iTunes as coming Sept. 17, so that might end up being a December title.

I was thinking "if it's Persona, then why aren't they women?". Then it hit me. Person A. :doh:

Great news, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Today's Amazon Gold Box is made up of some recent releases (all Blu unless noted);

On the Waterfront
Badlands
The Thin Red Line
Richard III
The Qatsi Trilogy
The Darjeeling Limited
The Rules of the Game
Three Colors Trilogy (DVD)
The Blob
The Last Emperor (4-disc DVD)
When Horror Came to Shochiku (Eclipse DVD)

All are around 50% off.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Eraserhead's coming to the Music Box in Chicago with a new 35mm print in early October With other possible-soon-releases in the past, this usually means it'll be announced in this batch or the next.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Criterion of Goodfellas would make me happy. To be fair any top quality release of that film would make me happy, but that is something I would be so drat pumped for.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rapdawg posted:

Criterion of Goodfellas would make me happy. To be fair any top quality release of that film would make me happy, but that is something I would be so drat pumped for.

The current editions are quite packed, even if they use an older master. Warner does amazing work, so the eventual 4K remaster should be great. They just have to release it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Just an FYI to any Washington D.C. goons, tomorrow at 2pm the National Gallery of Art is showing Closely Watched Trains for free with a Q&A with director Jiri Menzel. I've been to their director Q&As before and they are always a lot of fun.

Plus I've never seen the film before, so I am excited for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

December Releases:

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970, Elio Petri) - Dual Format
Nashville (1975, Robert Altman) - Dual Format
Grey Gardens - Blu-Ray

Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project Vol. 1 - Dual Format (3-Blu/6-DVD)
Touki Bouki, Redes, A River Called Titras, Dry Summer, Trances, and The Housemaid

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 16, 2013

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
December releases are up and I'll let somebody else post a big summary but yes yes yes yes yesssss

e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Aw poo poo yeaaaaaaa.