Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i have a hakko 508, which is just a very basic 40w pen type. its ok i guess, no worse than similarly priced wellers and such. im no solder pro but i wonder how much a nicer station would help. i still have trouble getting even small wires hot enough to make the solder flow properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

i have a hakko 508, which is just a very basic 40w pen type. its ok i guess, no worse than similarly priced wellers and such. im no solder pro but i wonder how much a nicer station would help. i still have trouble getting even small wires hot enough to make the solder flow properly

i regularly use 25 watt pieces of poo poo that cost ten buxx and i do not have that problem, maybe you are not wetting your tip properly or something???

wet your tip everyday

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh wet the tip before every joint basically. just a tiny drop, enough to make a liquid connection so the heat conducts

if the tip isn't shiny, and instead is dusty gray/brown/yellow with old oxides, it's hosed up. melt solder (rosin-core only) all over it and roll it around until you get a bunch of black dross rising to the top and the solder starts to stick instead of balling up. then keep adding more and wiping it off until the whole tip is shiny metallic coated. always make sure the tip is shiny and metallic before you start soldering

tip maintenance is like 95% of getting a good connection

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
maintain this one weird old tip

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

yeh wet the tip before every joint basically. just a tiny drop, enough to make a liquid connection so the heat conducts

if the tip isn't shiny, and instead is dusty gray/brown/yellow with old oxides, it's hosed up. melt solder (rosin-core only) all over it and roll it around until you get a bunch of black dross rising to the top and the solder starts to stick instead of balling up. then keep adding more and wiping it off until the whole tip is shiny metallic coated. always make sure the tip is shiny and metallic before you start soldering

tip maintenance is like 95% of getting a good connection

this is v. helpful, i didnt know the process for tip wetting

but then again most goons dont!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dr. Honked posted:

maintain this one weird old tip

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also gently caress wet sponges, get yourself one of these

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
this week's project: same as last week, but now in THREETHREETHREEDEEDEEDEE

so far i've got lighting figured out; holy hell it takes a long time to light a sphere though. basically doing the vector math at each point on its surface to figure out the intensity (dot product of the normal vector with the unit vector pointing at the light source)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Werthog 95 posted:

don't post R2D2 genitals tia

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so far i've got lighting figured out; holy hell it takes a long time to light a sphere though. basically doing the vector math at each point on its surface to figure out the intensity (dot product of the normal vector with the unit vector pointing at the light source)

ur rly smart

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

aren't their lubraires that do this for you

or are you doing it for ~*ThE ChAlLeNgE*~

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

aren't their lubraires that do this for you

or are you doing it for ~*ThE ChAlLeNgE*~

dude just leave him be hell have one of them nonbias thingamabobs you like so much running in no time.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Most people play with their python to avoid blue balls gj

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Nice!

is this part of a bigger project or just fun experiments (not to say that "just fun" is a bad thing)

cistps: last week i finally managed to mock a 3d perspective with sprites, now i need to reverse-engineer a bunch of crap i hard-coded into the algorithms to make them work with arbitrary screen resolutions

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

oh i'm sure i could do like

code:
import 3d

ball=([320,240,0],[127,127,255],80)
light = [500,500,500]

3d.drawlitball(ball,light)
and be done but yeah i'm doing it to learn mainly

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

if you're gonna make yourself suffer you might as well use C, it'll probably at least be a lil faster. probably not much tho. would be interesting to see the difference

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

idk seems like that'd double the suffering. suffer the math or suffer the programming imo

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
if he decides to savagely optimize it in c down the road at least he'll already understand the fundamental algorithms

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i imagine there are some significant speedups that i could do, mainly in the areas of simplifying the trig functions and making sure each pixel within the defined area is only called once

oh and that pixels on the other side of the ball from the light source aren't touched

right now it calls a trig function five times per pixel which is definitely way overkill

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oh i'm sure i could do like

code:
import 3d

ball=([320,240,0],[127,127,255],80)
light = [500,500,500]

3d.drawlitball(ball,light)
and be done but yeah i'm doing it to learn mainly

i respect it

are you using an accepted falloff algorithm or just normal directions?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

now throw some specularity on dat ho

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i respect it

are you using an accepted falloff algorithm or just normal directions?

not sure exactly what you mean but i'm first calculating the intensity of light hitting a point as (some constant)/(distance from point to light source)2 and then multiplying that by the dot product of the surface normal (unit) vector and the unit vector from the point to the light source to get the actual brightness of the point

(then the point gets drawn as just its x and y coordinates; i'll mess around with depth and visual field and camera angles and poo poo later)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root for your lighting math needs

this isnt a spoiler of your own future work because this is something i can pmuch guarantee you never arrive at independently while also being cool enough and simple enough to understand

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey if carmack could do it why not this guy

man I would have been so much more into math in high school if each unit culminated in some sick graphics demos using what we learned

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

my problem with programming is i get sidetracked a lot

FOR EXAMPLE i thought "man, my lit sphere thing looks like a planet's day/night cycle, i wonder if i could make it look more like a planet by putting clouds on it"

and then "the clouds should evolve with time, though, and look realistic; i wonder how hard it is to do 2-D CFD on the surface of a sphere"

so now i'm bashing together a silly little fluid mechanics program; right now it's only going on a regular 2-D plane but it's interesting watching it evolve:

(red is x-velocity, blue is y-velocity at each point)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Werthog 95 posted:

got one of those

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

so now i'm bashing together a silly little fluid mechanics program; right now it's only going on a regular 2-D plane but it's interesting watching it evolve:

neat, I wish I studied more these physics instead of just observing the patterns in meteorological maps when I worked with these things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

got one of those

$8 from fasttech

not sure exactly what you mean but i'm first calculating the intensity of light hitting a point as (some constant)/(distance from point to light source)2 and then multiplying that by the dot product of the surface normal (unit) vector and the unit vector from the point to the light source to get the actual brightness of the point

(then the point gets drawn as just its x and y coordinates; i'll mess around with depth and visual field and camera angles and poo poo later)

I don't mean to judge coz what you're doing is light years ahead of what I can do but [and u might not care] but that falloff your using [the reflection dimming as the angle increases] I don't think is very physically accurate at all. u may not care but either way I respect your work! u doing well m8

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
wow fukken nice qwerty.

i just got collision kinda working a little bit, some issues with call order and such. you're an inspiration and god speed to applying that to your 3d sphere

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

qwerty go download + play with Unity3D. you will be suitably impressed. you can manipulate as much or as little of the low-level stuff as you want.

(i spent the day w/ a very similar blue sphere. trying to implement a player-manipulable mesh in such a way that when i scrap spherical coords in favour of a cubed sphere, it won't break everything)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

I know you like creating your own implementation of vectors and dot products and stuff and it's neat doing it once but consider using numpy arrays because it'll be a great skill to have in your sleeve.

numpy is kinda painful at first because the data structures aren't as straightforward to use as the built-ins but hey it's fortran-like numerics calculations speed at your reach :science:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

im just going to echo what everyone else is saying, this is some cool stuff you are doing. are you still getting graphics through pygame? or was that someone else? in addition to whats been suggested, programming with opengl can get you some speedup by offloading display functions to your graphics card, and creating a little 3d solar system was one of the first exercises i did. but it might be a little too close to the "import 3d" stuff you want to avoid

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i dunno if i'll do anything substantially more interesting with 3d stuff but i'll probably look into opengl and such if i do

this is definitely just a learning exercise for me; there's nothing practical about it at all

(yeah i'm still using pygame for these things)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you own mate go have a beer

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
yeah seriously qwerty that poo poo owns, super jealous

my little javascript thing is finally complete(maybe)

don't think I'll add many more features at this point but it was a fun ride

SquatBot

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

final thing for tonight: made the ball bounce around in 3d space with a light just off to the right of the screen

tomorrow perhaps... two balls! i already wrote the collision algorithm from my bouncysticky 2d ball program to work in 3d so that should be straightforward; harder will be getting the balls to cast shadows on each other

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

daaamn

i wish i was smart enough to do stuff like that

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

earthbound fight background simulator lookin good

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Socracheese posted:

earthbound fight background simulator lookin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

dur posted: