Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

I'm looking forward to the heads exploding when the fiends just kill her off for being a possible monkey wrench in their plans for the snarl.

"But her unresolved plot!" if you only off a character after they have no more stories in them you get a tensionless story.

If you off a character after spending long periods of time setting up an interesting conflict, you get bloated meaningless stories. Killing characters off just to be shocking is something only a bad writer does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ah. I hate it when your spare goes flat.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you off a character after spending long periods of time setting up an interesting conflict, you get bloated meaningless stories. Killing characters off just to be shocking is something only a bad writer does.

If the writer telegraphs that there's more to a character's arc, then axes the character, then that's the revelation that the story is different than you can be led to believe. Which, done right, is the good kind of shocking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If the writer telegraphs that there's more to a character's arc, then axes the character, then that's the revelation that the story is different than you can be led to believe. Which, done right, is the good kind of shocking.

That is true, but that is generally done early on when setting the tone of the story, not 3/4ths of the way through after another (series of) shocking death which seems to primarily exist to set up the character to do more things. It could happen but I'd be willing to bet money that Sabine is coming out of this with her own narrative that's probably going to end up throwing a serious monkey wrench in someone's world-domination plans. (Not the least of which because "the love of a demon for a sociopath helps save the world" is the kind of role reversal that OotS loves.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Who What Now posted:

Disintegrate doesn't stop True Resurrection. All you need to do is find a 17th level cleric and 25,000gp worth of diamonds.
I don't think Durkon or Redcloak would be willing to bring Nale back.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well that answers that question on if Nale will be coming back.

Yeah, Sabine is pissed. I have to wonder where the story's going to go with her now.

Also, heh, Plasma Screen.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Psst, they made the plasma screen joke themselves the first time it appeared.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The real joke is on all of you, plasma is yellow.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CapnAndy posted:

I don't think Durkon or Redcloak would be willing to bring Nale back.

Durkula is still friends with Elan, and I can easily see Elan wanting to bring his brother back in a misguided attempt to try to get his brother to atone or to right his ignoble death.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Durkula is still friends with Elan, and I can easily see Elan wanting to bring his brother back in a misguided attempt to try to get his brother to atone or to right his ignoble death.
He's also evil and dislikes Nale enough to respond to a job offer with a slaughter-fest. I don't see him bringing Nale back.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

My bet is that we'll see Sabine sneaking into Tarquin's place to steal the dagger he killed Nale with...or maybe the cloth he used to clean said dagger off. Then all she needs is a 13th level cleric along with some of Nale's blood and she's good to go.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Blackheart posted:

I keep my theory that his punishment will be dying a forgettable, almost off-panel death. Maybe raised as a mindless thrall by Xykon or something, not because of any revenge fantasy, but because it would just be so fitting. Maybe Sabine will help orchestrate it all somehow.

"Note: Tarquin died on the way back to his home planet"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jng2058 posted:

My bet is that we'll see Sabine sneaking into Tarquin's place to steal the dagger he killed Nale with...or maybe the cloth he used to clean said dagger off. Then all she needs is a 13th level cleric along with some of Nale's blood and she's good to go.

Any blood on that knife was removed from the body before Nale's death (note his eyes weren't yet exes when the knife was withdrawn), and as such it doesn't qualify for Raise Dead. Rich can handle things however he likes, but I doubt he'd cheat that rule in order to undo what's a pretty drat good way, narratively speaking, for Nale to exit. If we see more of Nale I expect it will be because Sabine visits him in hell. After all, we've already seen the lawful good afterlife.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sir Kodiak posted:

Any blood on that knife was removed from the body before Nale's death (note his eyes weren't yet exes when the knife was withdrawn), and as such it doesn't qualify for Raise Dead.

I was actually about to ask this exact question.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zogundar posted:

"Note: Tarquin died on the way back to his home planet"

"I have a message. General... Tarquin's pterodactyl was shot down... over the Great Barren Desert. It spun in... there were no survivors."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Colonel Cool posted:

"I have a message. General... Tarquin's pterodactyl was shot down... over the Great Barren Desert. It spun in... there were no survivors."
Holy poo poo.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
What if someone wished Nale back to life?

What? I mean hypothetically.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

reignofevil posted:

Then he'd still be as useless as he was before we saw Tarquin?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

reignofevil posted:

It would work. Wish let's you replicate any spell level 9 or less and that includes True Ressurection

Sir Kodiak posted:

Any blood on that knife was removed from the body before Nale's death (note his eyes weren't yet exes when the knife was withdrawn), and as such it doesn't qualify for Raise Dead. Rich can handle things however he likes, but I doubt he'd cheat that rule in order to undo what's a pretty drat good way, narratively speaking, for Nale to exit. If we see more of Nale I expect it will be because Sabine visits him in hell. After all, we've already seen the lawful good afterlife.

That's a pretty subtle point, but a good one, I'll admit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hypothetically, a wish can not restore someone to life, but it can put them in a state where they can be raised. You could wish for a body, for example.

Miracle also would suffice, and bring them back directly, but if you know Miracle you know True Resurrection anyway.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Blackheart posted:

I keep my theory that his punishment will be dying a forgettable, almost off-panel death. Maybe raised as a mindless thrall by Xykon or something, not because of any revenge fantasy, but because it would just be so fitting. Maybe Sabine will help orchestrate it all somehow.

Also, Sabin killing him basically off panel would definitely destroy his dreams of story immortality. Nobody really remembers the villain who got assassinated by his son's ex girlfriend in an underhand matter.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

e X posted:

Also, Sabin killing him basically off panel would definitely destroy his dreams of story immortality.

He'll suplex the train Tarquin's in. It never made it to the station.

Be interesting to see what angle Sabine takes to getting revenge given that Tarquin is probably not going to be caught off-guard by a shape-shifter and is probably appropriately plot-paranoid of a lover's revenge. Especially now that bringing Nale back is completely out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CapnAndy posted:

He's also evil and dislikes Nale enough to respond to a job offer with a slaughter-fest. I don't see him bringing Nale back.

He's also Lawful, and deeply loyal to his friends, something that we've been shown before isn't something that's unique to Good aligned characters. Besides that, Elan's one sole power is his ability to persuade his friends when he really wants to. I don't think it's likely, but it's far from impossible.

-EDIT-

I don't think for a second Nale is going to be resurrected until the main plot is resolved, though. He's out of the game.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 26, 2013

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Guyver posted:

Blood plasma is yellow? Ew. No one except people like you would have gotten the joke though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Who What Now posted:

He's also Lawful, and deeply loyal to his friends, something that we've been shown before isn't something that's unique to Good aligned characters. Besides that, Elan's one sole power is his ability to persuade his friends when he really wants to. I don't think it's likely, but it's far from impossible.

-EDIT-

I don't think for a second Nale is going to be resurrected until the main plot is resolved, though. He's out of the game.

Yeah, looking at the description on the D&D wiki, you can True Resurrect someone that died up to 10 years ago per caster level. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if, after the story's done, we get an epilogue at some point in the future showing Sabine forming a new group with the sole purpose of levelling up a caster who can cast it (assuming succubi are long-lived, of course).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

D&D SRD posted:

A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell. A wish can revive a dead creature whose body has been destroyed, but the task takes two wishes, one to recreate the body and another to infuse the body with life again. A wish cannot prevent a character who was brought back to life from losing an experience level.

So yeah, two Wishes and she's good. Or one Wish and a Raise Dead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

Be interesting to see what angle Sabine takes to getting revenge given that Tarquin is probably not going to be caught off-guard by a shape-shifter and is probably appropriately plot-paranoid of a lover's revenge. Especially now that bringing Nale back is completely out.
I still think the fiends are going to be very pissed off themselves. They're officially out of mortal pawns, I somehow doubt they're pleased.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Ah, Tarquin, this? This is your Thrawn oversight. This is what's leading up to your 'But it was so artistically done'. This is the issue every villain with legit brains crashes into. Do you recognize this? No?

Understanding the power of story is great right until you realize that doesn't mean you have your path all figured out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Or they have a system already set up just in case with a bit of blood stored somewhere safe.

Not that it will happen, of course, just that Nale returning and saving the day while taking out his dad wouldn't be out of the question.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Or they have a system already set up just in case with a bit of blood stored somewhere safe.

There is no method of bringing the dead back to life in D&D 3.5 where a vial of blood drawn before death is an assistance. Rich could invent one, it's his story, but then he could do the same thing with true-name based resurrection, true-love based resurrection, or resurrection based around a clown nose kept in Nale's pocket for a year. Body parts are only useful in raising the dead if taken after death in order to keep adventurers from doing precisely this.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I'm surprised that V is still strapped to the table. They can't have a lot of time left on his claim after the temple escape, golem fight, reuniting with Durkon, talking to Tarquinn and Nale's execution.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Tarquin is completely hosed. His whole "he was just cluttering up the obvious narrative arc between me and you" thing is going to bite him in the rear end so so hard.

Tarquin is definitely setting himself up to dying like a chump with no one ever even knowing or caring.

jng2058 posted:

So yeah, two Wishes and she's good. Or one Wish and a Raise Dead.

How much trouble did they have finding a Cleric who could resurrect Roy? Durkon was pretty much the only one they could use, and he's a PC. I'm imagining that people who can resurrect the living are in short supply in this particular world.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Guyver posted:

Actually, it is our poo poo diets that make it that way.

Compare healthy on the left to standard fast food eating out of shape goon on the right

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Fried Chicken posted:

Compare healthy on the left to standard fast food eating out of shape goon on the right

That straight up looks like a bag of bacon grease.
I want to see how fat that dude was.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Fried Chicken posted:

Jesus, you can't even see through the bag on the right. :gonk:

Is that all just fat or what?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Calaveron posted:

How much trouble did they have finding a Cleric who could resurrect Roy? Durkon was pretty much the only one they could use, and he's a PC. I'm imagining that people who can resurrect the living are in short supply in this particular world.

How hard was it for Nale to find Hilgya? Or Leeky? Or Zz'ditri? From an in-game standpoint, Sabine is a Succubus with access to mind control magic, shapeshifting, rogue infiltration skills, and no compunction about using any or all of that, plus brutal murder on top, to get what she wants. Not to mention we've seen, albeit in a bonus strip, that she's hundreds or thousands of years old and has a nearly endless list of fiends in her little black book to call on for help.

"Hey Gzz'nar, you're looking good. Say, are you still working for that cult down in the Dampened Dungeon? You are? Great! I need a favor, sweetie..."

From a story standpoint, Sabine is an antagonist and whatever difficulties she may or may not have in screwing with the protagonists will likely occur mostly if not completely off-panel. Especially since the Linear Guild only ever shows up once every other book or so, such that if Sabine does find a way to bring Nale back, they'll probably skip the whole next book and show up in the last one.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fried Chicken posted:

You could still reasonably call both of those yellow. It's sure as hell not instantly-recognize-it blood red.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

morcant posted:

Jesus, you can't even see through the bag on the right. :gonk:

Is that all just fat or what?
high concentration of blood triglycerides apparently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglyceride

Cabbit posted:

You could still reasonably call both of those yellow. It's sure as hell not instantly-recognize-it blood red.

Yeah, I thought the difference was more extreme. Then when I found the picture and accompany explanation, I wanted to share something I had learned :flashfact:

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 27, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jng2058 posted:

NALE

IS

NOT

COMING

BACK

I mean yes, I can see it being a motivation for Sabine's upcoming Roaring Rampage of Revenge, but Nale himself will play no further part in the story.

That's why he got disintegrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

sebmojo posted:

NALE

IS

NOT

COMING

BACK

I mean yes, I can see it being a motivation for Sabine's upcoming Roaring Rampage of Revenge, but Nale himself will play no further part in the story.

That's why he got disintegrated.

Facts will never get in the way of speculation.