Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ol qwerty bastard posted:

final thing for tonight: made the ball bounce around in 3d space with a light just off to the right of the screen

tomorrow perhaps... two balls! i already wrote the collision algorithm from my bouncysticky 2d ball program to work in 3d so that should be straightforward; harder will be getting the balls to cast shadows on each other

orns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

final thing for tonight: made the ball bounce around in 3d space with a light just off to the right of the screen

tomorrow perhaps... two balls! i already wrote the collision algorithm from my bouncysticky 2d ball program to work in 3d so that should be straightforward; harder will be getting the balls to cast shadows on each other

hahahahaa, this is awesome

you go qwerty

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

make the walls light up when you hit them

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

lol balls

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
gonna buy three electromechanical pinballs from the mid-late 70s. i do not have room for 'em but gently caress it, it's a good deal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thought you said electrochemical ,loll

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

orbs

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

echinopsis posted:

thought you said electrochemical ,loll

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

802.11weed posted:

gonna buy three electromechanical pinballs from the mid-late 70s. i do not have room for 'em but gently caress it, it's a good deal

that owns

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

802.11weed posted:

late 70s is probably the last time any of them didn't have any parts missing

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

802.11weed posted:

retheme one of them. and give me the other two.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yospos pinball feat. milkie multiball

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Werthog 95 posted:

retheme one of them. and give me the other two.

i'd totally do a retheme if i found one in decent mechanical condition but with ruined backboard and playfield

war on terror w/ reduce price of gas multiball

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
still writing my vector function library

oh my god vectors suck so much

but at least when i've got all these basic functions, i can just call them when i'm doing 3d stuff and i don't have to think about angles and cosines and all that bullshit

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i got inspired and im trying to make a thing:

turns out python does not have any great libs that I could find that can handle drawing polygons anti-aliased, plz tell me if there is a good one tia

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

but at least when i've got all these basic functions, i can just call them when i'm doing 3d stuff and i don't have to think about angles and cosines and all that bullshit
playing w/ low-level stuff is great when it's fun + cool, but if you get to the point where you're all like

it's time to import a library (numpy in this case). don't let boilerplate get in the way of interesting stuff

btw rather than doing v_add(v1, v2), just overload (+) so that you can write v1+v2 instead

http://docs.python.org/2/reference/datamodel.html#special-method-names

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 27, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Socracheese posted:

i got inspired and im trying to make a thing:

turns out python does not have any great libs that I could find that can handle drawing polygons anti-aliased, plz tell me if there is a good one tia

make your own

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
cps: discovered interfaces break large parts of unity. welp.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
pygame includes an anti-aliased draw library hth

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I really want to start programming but it's really intimidating and I don't have much free time.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Ana5000 posted:

I really want to start programming but it's really intimidating and I don't have much free time.

do some python. i'm a dumb idiot with no free time at all and even i learned to do some useful stuff with it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do some c its the best language anyways

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

program in forth

its the one true language

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
somebody make cobol for arduino

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mido posted:

program in forth

its the one true language

yo check this poo poo out http://www.excamera.com/sphinx/fpga-j1.html

quote:

The CPU was designed to run Forth programs very efficiently: the machine’s instructions are so close to Forth that there is little benefit to writing code in assembler. Effectively Forth is the assembly language. J1 runs at about 100 Forth MIPS on a typical FPGA. This compares with about 0.1 Forth MIPS for a traditional threaded Forth running on an embedded 8-bit CPU.
same guy made the gameduino which uses it

of course all the lol retro shitlords who glorify old school console development just write java poo poo for their ouyas instead

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Bloody posted:

make your own

i respect it when people take the long road and do that but i aint got the fuckin time to write some wack-rear end anti-aliased polygon drawin' algorithms right now, i have 5 cs classes and a job, I banged that gif out during a boring lecture

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

still writing my vector function library

maybe you should put all this vector stuff in a class or at least in a separate module idk

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah that should be in a Vector class and you could overload the operators to do exactly what you have made so you don't have to type v_add(v1, v2) you could just v1+v2 and get the same result

that's what i'm working on now but i loving fail at linear algebra

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dur posted:

do some python. i'm a dumb idiot with no free time at all and even i learned to do some useful stuff with it.

the problem with python is that it owns so much and when I think about coding my arduino it's like "fuxk bro why can't I just do this or that" and eveything takes a loving hour to sort out or make it work well

python just gave me the tools to do what I wanted while c is the programming equivalent of voting in the new pope

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

#include smoke.h

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

wait, what does #include do?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

the problem with python is that it owns so much and when I think about coding my arduino it's like "fuxk bro why can't I just do this or that" and eveything takes a loving hour to sort out or make it work well

python just gave me the tools to do what I wanted while c is the programming equivalent of voting in the new pope

dont make me go on my embedded spergrant again please

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dur posted:

wait, what does #include do?
it's the chimney for the smoke or something idk

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I wrote a buttbot for my native language last year and these days I decided to put it on twitter. I lost count of how many times it got suspended (I guess almost 20).

People seem to like it but I guess there are always 2 or 3 people in a group of hundreds that reports the account as spam.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when you build a twitbot to you subscribe to certain tags or text and get notifications about it or do u just do some kind of polling/searching for new twits that match?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm looking up the stream of recent tweets with the api that are in portuguese and that are not retweets. There are no other criteria, for some reason twitter returns a lot of tweets in spanish and sometimes polish (?). no idea why

https://twitter.com/bundalizador

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's gotta be a lot of tweets tho. do you respond to each one or do you pick at random cause otherwise wouldn't u get throttled real fast?

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Shaggar posted:

that's gotta be a lot of tweets tho. do you respond to each one or do you pick at random cause otherwise wouldn't u get throttled real fast?

Thread.Sleep(5000)

duh

Ferr
Sep 27, 2002

Serious Business Orc
College Slice
I do improv comedy to force myself to interact with real humans and not spend all my time on computers not talking to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Ferr posted:

I do improv comedy to force myself to interact with real humans and not spend all my time on computers not talking to anyone.

post the improv u dork