Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jimbozig posted:

This is, I think, my first time in this thread. I just wandered in to see how bad the stuff being posted here was. Maybe it was humorous, or entertaining. So I clicked "last page" to check out moronic takes on current events. I didn't even make it one third of the way through the above article before my eyes refused to relay the words to my brain. gently caress people. How can someone get literally everything so badly wrong?

It's almost as though there was a media ecosystem with no concern for reality that continually validates fallacious modes of thought and existing prejudices, and builds an alternate reality from those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

quote:

First, put the blame for Trayvon Martin's death where it belongs.
You mean on the guy who killed him? Oh, who am I kidding, of course you don't :suicide:

It's funny how people like the author of this article insist that every bad thing that happens to a poor and/or black person is because they're lazy/entitled/[insert your favorite dogwhistle] and should take responsibility for themselves, but when a white (half-Hispanic, whatever) guy shoots a black teenager suddenly the shooter's individual choices don't matter and it's all the black kid's fault. It's almost as if the "personal responsibility" talking point actually has nothing to do with responsibility at all!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Opposing Farce posted:

You mean on the guy who killed him? Oh, who am I kidding, of course you don't :suicide:

It's funny how people like the author of this article insist that every bad thing that happens to a poor and/or black person is because they're lazy/entitled/[insert your favorite dogwhistle] and should take responsibility for themselves, but when a white (half-Hispanic, whatever) guy shoots a black teenager suddenly the shooter's individual choices don't matter and it's all the black kid's fault. It's almost as if the "personal responsibility" talking point actually has nothing to do with responsibility at all!

After doing my time in the poo poo show that was the Trayvon Martin shooting thread on Something Awful, I was just surprised to see them suggest Trayvon had 35 pounds on Zimmerman. Even with all the wrong headed racist stuff you saw in that thread, no one ever so monumentally misstated objective fact that they had Trayvon outweighing Zimmerman.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The county I grew up is having their annual fair, and got a relatively well known AD/DC cover band, Hell's Belles (all women group) to perform at the fair. Now AC/DC doesn't have too controversial music, but it didn't stop the crazies from coming out:

http://www.centralkitsapreporter.com/opinion/220733881.html

quote:

The Kitsap County Fair is having a satanic music group as entertainment. The Hell's Belles are from Bremerton, and they work for the devil.

On the front of the Kitsap Sun, there is a color picture of one of the Hell's Belles flashing the sign of the devil.

What I want to know, is next year, will the fair give equal time to a Christian music group? If the Christians cannot have equal time, then the taxpayers are sponsoring, and yes, promoting Satan, the prince of all that is evil.

In the two page spread the Kitsap Sun gave to them (for free advertisement, I might add), they freely admitted they would not get into the darker elements of their music at the fair.

Well, wow, I am so grateful for that, you devil-worshippers! You are really lucky this year, the devil himself doesn't show up and pitchfork you at the fair.

A good moniker for the fair this year would be, "Come on down, y'all and see what you're in for."

Here's another idea - if everybody in power at the fair hates Heaven so much, why don't we call it The Sample of Hell - Kitsap County Style.

There's no charge, you'll get that later.

Great bit of fun. Well, I won't be there, folks. My destiny is Heaven with Jesus Christ, because it is in Him I trust.

I challenge the Central Kitsap Reporter to print this letter, but have doubts it is too truthful and scary.

Too bad. Tried to warn you people. Talk about scary - your lack of love of God should scare you.

Jan VanWyk

Poulsbo

:rock:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes, Bremerton is overflowing with Satanic power! That's why they have...um...err...so much meth?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

seiferguy posted:

The county I grew up is having their annual fair, and got a relatively well known AD/DC cover band, Hell's Belles (all women group) to perform at the fair. Now AC/DC doesn't have too controversial music, but it didn't stop the crazies from coming out:

Is that actually what he means by "the sign of the devil?"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

VideoTapir posted:

Is that actually what he means by "the sign of the devil?"

Yep, throwing the horns is the sign of satan. I guess because of Dio.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The funny part is, Dio got the gesture from his mother, to whom it was a sign to ward off evil influences.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I realize that the newspaper is a near-dead medium and 80% of small town readership are old kooks who never learned about the Internet, but really, this is what's fit to print in 2013?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

seiferguy posted:

I want to circulate a petition to replace Hell's Belles with some good old-fashioned family-friendly Mayhem :black101:

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I want to circulate a petition to replace Hell's Belles with some good old-fashioned family-friendly Mayhem :black101:

If AC/DC is getting this lady riled up, extreme forms of metal would probably cause her mind to implode. Perhaps hammer smash her face.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SeraphSlaughter posted:

If AC/DC is getting this lady riled up, extreme forms of metal would probably cause her mind to implode. Perhaps hammer smash her face.

If you're not careful with those references, you might end up with every bone broken.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

I'v always wondered if you can sue someone for slander or otherwise stick it to them for falsely claiming you are an adherent of a certain religion, like Satanism. It's pure and simple character assassination by falsehood: almost no one actually worships the devil. I mean, even BIG CAPITAL S LaVeyan Satanism isn't about worshiping the devil.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Probably not, they almost always claim the devil is deceiving them into doing his bidding even if they think they aren't.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Nathilus posted:

I'v always wondered if you can sue someone for slander or otherwise stick it to them for falsely claiming you are an adherent of a certain religion, like Satanism. It's pure and simple character assassination by falsehood: almost no one actually worships the devil. I mean, even BIG CAPITAL S LaVeyan Satanism isn't about worshiping the devil.

One of the key parts of a libel charge is that you need to prove that the person making the libel is knowingly making false statements. Also, you have to show that other people could potentially believe the lie being told. So a libel prosecution against this women would hinge upon her being smarter then she seems, and everyone else being stupid.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Patrick Spens posted:

One of the key parts of a libel charge is that you need to prove that the person making the libel is knowingly making false statements. Also, you have to show that other people could potentially believe the lie being told. So a libel prosecution against this women would hinge upon her being smarter then she seems, and everyone else being stupid.

I figured there was some sort of arcane legal reason why it isn't possible, since you never see it happen. Thanks for the clarification. Honestly, it seems like a pretty good threshold to me, even if it omits this kind of obvious rumor-mongering.

Eventually, I think we're going to come to have different values about the value of communication and information, such that pissing in the well as it were will be much more highly frowned upon. It's not a very brave prediction, since the last 200 or so years have been a case study in our advancement when it comes to this sphere. We still have a long way to go though, there's still a lot of tolerated snake oil and quackery out there, to say nothing of all the flat out malicious untruths that get spread around.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

quote:

According to the Media, President Obama and the slick-haired Al Sharpton, we white devils are supposed to feel very sorry for the plight of the black teen.
I believe Americans, by and large, do have sympathy for any person or group who’ve had life deal them a bad hand.

However, young black thugs, you’ve got to work with us a little bit because you’re kind of operating against the storyline the aforementioned are singing about y’all, and thus, making it difficult for us to soulfully commiserate.

Of what, pray tell, do I speak?

Well, homeslice, it goes something like this: For us to give a crap about your below-par existence we’d like to hear less and less about…

- Your ghastly grades in school

- Your ridiculous dropout rates

- Your colossal out of wedlock birthrates

- Your embracing of a musical culture that celebrates the shooting of cops and doing filthy, vile things to someone’s daughter

- Your love affair with drugs and alcohol

- Your #hatethem tweets aimed at white people

- Your flash mobbing and robbing places and people

- Your audacity to blame everybody and their dog for your odious behavior

- And your ginormous, misplaced racial chip on your shoulder

Yes, if you could/would chill on some of that stuff, well … That’d be great. That would make us crackers think, “Hey, maybe you’re serious about getting out of the ditch you’re in.”

Another difficult thing that makes it hard for us to believe you’re just poor, helpless victims of the machine is when a couple of teens from your crew gun down an innocent, twenty-two-year-old, white, Aussie student just to spice up the inherent boredom which accompanies the dog-days of summer. That act of uncut evil helps us not. Yep, that heinous stunt really makes all this “poor you” crap fly right out our windows.

And lastly, and I hate to be negative, but there was one more incident perpetrated by two black teens this week that also unraveled the sweet story Sharpton and the President would have us believe. It was the beating death of an eighty-eight-year-old, WWII vet in Spokane, Washington. That demonic deed, coupled with the murder of Chris Lane this week, makes it impossible for anyone with a brain to feel anything towards your personal dilemma except, “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.”

Yes, the brutal murder of someone’s grandpa and the senseless slaying of someone’s son by black thugs this past week do nothing but reinforce what the FBI National Crime Victimization Survey concluded, namely, that young black males are seven times more likely to commit murder than people of other races.

So, young black thugs, if you’d like us to empathize, trust and help you with a hand-up, howzabout cease and desist with the inhumane behavior, huh? Until then, we’ll be suspicious of young black teens, traveling in groups, taking an unusual interest in our person, especially if they’re dressed like gangbangers and are acting suspiciously.

Call us weird.

Why do all of these urban feral thug youts have a racial chip on their shoulder? Now excuse for a moment, there's a black guy standing by my house I need to call the cops.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Flash mobs are a black thing?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Flash mobs are a black thing?

Flash mob has two weird definitions right now. It can mean a bunch of people showing up to a mall and dancing or a large group of teenagers showing up in one place and causing trouble.

Here's an example from earlier this year:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Teens-Arrested-After-Large-FIght-in-Center-City-202189591.html

Basically a bunch of kids, possibly a few hundred, show up in one place and something stupid like a fight usually breaks out. Racists usually like to make it sound like these are huge roving gangs of black kids just attacking people at random, instead of just teenage stupidity writ large. Its become kind of a thing in the past couple years because social media makes these type of mass gatherings easy to organize.

Chandragupta
Sep 2, 2009
Why is there a narrative that there are bands of black guys wandering around looking for white people to murder? All of these conservative posts fail to mention that black people are disproportionatly the victims of violent crime.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Chandragupta posted:

Why is there a narrative that there are bands of black guys wandering around looking for white people to murder? All of these conservative posts fail to mention that black people are disproportionatly the victims of violent crime.

Because to right-wingers only white people are real.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Because to right-wingers only white people are real.

And any other black person they hurt is probably a criminal and part of the problem!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nevvy Z posted:

And any other black person they hurt is probably a criminal and part of the problem!

Some of them believe this is a plus and not a minus. Black on black violence is not bad because it results in fewer of them. In fact, they argue the best thing to do with black people is just to let them kill each other (the term is urban ferals). It's only a problem when they branch out.

Reading the Freep thread is hard sometimes.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

President Reagan, not a racist man.

quote:

There you go again, Hollywood.

You’ve taken a great story about a real person and real events and twisted it into a bunch of lies.

You took the true story of Eugene Allen, the White House butler who served eight presidents from 1952 to 1986, and turned it into a clichéd “message movie.”

“Lee Daniels’ The Butler’” stars Forest Whitaker as Cecil Gaines, a fictional character supposedly based on Eugene Allen’s real life.

But, let’s compare the two White House butlers.

Guess which one grew up in segregated Virginia, got a job at the White House and rose to become maître d’hôtel, the highest position in White House service?

Guess which one had a happy, quiet life and was married to the same woman for 65 years? And who had one son who served honorably in Vietnam and never made a peep of protest through the pre- and post-civil rights era?

Now guess which butler grew up on a Georgia farm, watched the boss rape his mother and then, when his father protested the rape, watched the boss put a bullet through his father’s head?

Guess which butler feels the pain of America’s racial injustices so deeply that he quits his White House job and joins his son in a protest movement?

And guess which butler has a wife (Oprah Winfrey) who becomes an alcoholic and has a cheap affair with the guy next door? (I’m surprised it wasn’t the vice president.)

After comparing Hollywood’s absurd version of Eugene Allen’s life story with the truth, you wonder why the producers didn’t just call it “The Butler from Another Planet.”

Screenwriter Danny Strong says he was trying to present a “backstage kind of view of the White House” that portrayed presidents and first ladies as they really were in everyday life.

Well, I was backstage at the White House — a few hundred times. I met and knew the real butler, Mr. Allen, and I knew a little about my father.

Portraying Ronald Reagan as a racist because he was in favor of lifting economic sanctions against South Africa is simplistic and dishonest.

If you knew my father, you’d know he was the last person on Earth you would call a racist.

If Strong had gotten his “facts” from the Reagan biographies, he’d have learned that when my father was playing football at Eureka College one of his best friends was a black teammate.

Strong also would have learned that my father invited black players home for dinner and once, when two players were not allowed to stay in the local hotel, he invited them to stay overnight at his house.

Screenwriter Strong also might have found out that when my father was governor of California he appointed more blacks to positions of power than any of predecessors — combined.

It’s appalling to me that someone is trying to imply my father was a racist. He and Nancy and the rest of the Reagan family treated Mr. Allen with the utmost respect.

It was Nancy Reagan who invited the butler to dinner — not to work but as guest. And it was my father who promoted Mr. Allen to maître d’hôtel.

The real story of the White House butler doesn’t imply racism at all. It’s simply Hollywood liberals wanting to believe something about my father that was never there.

My father’s position on lifting the South African sanctions in the ’80s had nothing to do with the narrow issue of race. It had to do with the geopolitics of the Cold War.

But, facts don’t matter to Hollywood’s creative propagandists. Truth is too complicated and not dramatic enough for scriptwriters, who think in minute terms, not the big picture, when it comes to a conservative.

Despite what Hollywood’s liberal hacks believe, my father didn’t see people in colors. He saw them as individual Americans. If the liberals in Hollywood — and Washington — ever start looking at people the way he did, the country will be a lot better off.

Michael Reagan is a political consultant and founder and chairman of The Reagan Group and president of The Reagan Legacy Foundation.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mike's never going to get over the fact that his dad didn't care about him, is he?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

Mike's never going to get over the fact that his dad didn't care about him, is he?

Repostin' this because it makes me giggle every time:

quote:

In 1964 he graduated from the Judson School, a boarding school outside of Scottsdale, Arizona. At his high school graduation, Ronald Reagan introduced himself to his son by saying, "My name is Ronald Reagan. What's yours?" He replied, "I'm your son Mike." "Oh," said Ronald Reagan. "I didn't recognize you."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah, every article Michael Reagan has ever written should be subtitled "Daddy! Daddy, do you love me yet?"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, every article Michael Reagan has ever written should be subtitled "Daddy! Daddy, do you love me yet?"

loving yikes.

I've never paid much attention to the Reagan family, but at this point Ron Jr. gets all the attention because he's a liberal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

D-drat.

Honestly he almost had a fair point about how everything has to be TO THE EXTREME in Hollywood, so of course we have to have some kind of lynching moment. But it kind of got lost in all the distant father worship.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

He was raped as a kid and spent his life terrified that the nude photos of him that his rapist took would be used to humiliate Ronny. That's not something I want to make fun of him for, but the dude is messed up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

He was raped as a kid and spent his life terrified that the nude photos of him that his rapist took would be used to humiliate Ronny. That's not something I want to make fun of him for, but the dude is messed up.

Jesus loving Christ. That's beyond horrible.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

You know this sorta reminds me of Richard Dawkins and other adults who have had horrible things happen to them as children and they have just convinced themselves it's solved with no lasting repercussions.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

LP97S posted:

You know this sorta reminds me of Richard Dawkins.

What happened to him? (Wikipedia says nothing)

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

JDM3 posted:

What happened to him? (Wikipedia says nothing)

http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2012/12/22/physical-versus-mental-child-abuse

In his own words

Richard Dawkins posted:

Incidentally, I was myself sexually abused by a teacher when I was about nine or ten years old. It was a very unpleasant and embarrassing experience, but the mental trauma was soon exorcised by comparing notes with my contemporaries who had suffered it previously at the hands of the same master. Thank goodness, I have never personally experienced what it is like to believe – really and truly and deeply believe ­– in hell. But I think it can be plausibly argued that such a deeply held belief might cause a child more long-lasting mental trauma than the temporary embarrassment of mild physical abuse.

He tried to use it as an argument that teaching kids about hell is worst than child abuse because he was abused as a child and he's fine. I think he needs some help.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

LP97S posted:

http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2012/12/22/physical-versus-mental-child-abuse
He tried to use it as an argument that teaching kids about hell is worst than child abuse because he was abused as a child and he's fine. I think he needs some help.

Now that you bring it up, I do remember reading that. So where does "as bad as Hitler" fit into the "religion is worse than child abuse" ranking schematic?

Honestly - I have read his work, agree with most of the arguments, and am a committed atheist (however I live in the Bible belt, go to church and mostly keep my mouth shut in order to fit in, etc. :can: (my self-serving hypothesis is that there are a LOT of us)) However where I disagree with him is his insistence that religion (and churches) is a totally bad thing. Of course there are bad parts, but on the whole I think the positives outweigh the negatives. (another :can:, I know)

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I think the dude has a right to complain about his father being portrayed as a racist if he feels it is unfair.

I do not think he has a point complaining about a fictional character experiencing things which are definitively part of the black American experience, just because there was a real guy somewhere that it didn't happen to.

That said, boy that film sounds ham-handed. Then again the plot to Precious was ham-handed too and I liked that a lot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it looks like it hits the Precious notes of 'this is really hamfisted and over the top but also somehow a pretty enjoyable movie because of how dedicated everyone is'.

Of course it uses a real figure as a stand in for a general experience so now anyone like Mike can run around going 'ah ha the real guy in that position knew his fuckin place and didn't protest, LIARS!'

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Seriously? Wow, now I kinda feel bad. Still, doesn't change the fact that he's a regressive rear end in a top hat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Seriously? Wow, now I kinda feel bad. Still, doesn't change the fact that he's a regressive rear end in a top hat.

Bad things can happen to bad people too.

The thing that really makes me sad is thinking about what Ronny did when (if) the kid disclosed what happened. Being raised by Reagan probably counts as child abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wasn't it him that Reagan gave his first allowance, then taxed it at 95% because "that's what I pay?"

• Locked thread