Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Just popping in to say that I received my signed bookplate today, along with four Icon Postcards. Apparently, I have a three-postcard relationship with the Diabolist, and one point with the Archmage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
...but it doesn't say you pick them once PER LEVEL. It just says you pick them once. End of line.

I mean it makes sense what you guys are saying. But it doesn't say that in the book. Is that just a community decided interpretation, or did those two crucial words just escape the writers, the editors and all of the testers?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Well, considering that absolutely everything in the entire section is speaking in reference to incremental advances towards the character's next level, I wouldn't think they needed to write that. They reset every level. Everything in that section resets every level because that's the entire point of that entire section.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
So I have managed to get my D&D group super excited about 13A and we're just about to convert over. I am (slightly) concerned about amount of healing/ability to use recoveries in fights, though - it seems like having a cleric is a huge asset in this regard (or failing that, a bard) - is someone going to be 'forced' into one of these classes, or are there enough secret special heal backup powers amongst the other classes that we could get by?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If your players are smart, they won't need to use more than 1 or 2 recoveries per fight. We didn't have a healer from level 1-3 and did fine (we had a bard and a paladin).

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Majuju posted:

So I have managed to get my D&D group super excited about 13A and we're just about to convert over. I am (slightly) concerned about amount of healing/ability to use recoveries in fights, though - it seems like having a cleric is a huge asset in this regard (or failing that, a bard) - is someone going to be 'forced' into one of these classes, or are there enough secret special heal backup powers amongst the other classes that we could get by?

Every player is able to auto-succeed at a rally once a combat, guaranteeing themselves the ability to use at least one recovery a fight. After that, it's a normal save to rally, which isn't that difficult, and doesn't burn a turn if it fails. Clerics and Bards are nice in that (should they feel benevolent) they allow characters to spend a recovery without the random chance of failing to rally/without a heavier damage dealer spending their turn to rally... but it is by no means a party requirement.

As for the second question, many classes have options for special healing backup powers in some form or another. Characters likely to get into the fray and take hits are usually capable of gaining temporary health or mitigating damage in some way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Evil Mastermind posted:

So now that it's looking like 13th Age/the Archmage Engine is a success, how long will it be until we get the Star Frontiers-esque sci-fi game "31st Age"?

Um how hard/soft do you want your space future? Cause I'd love to see Colony Calender 1st Age where all the classes are replaced by different types of mechs.

Rangers are stuck in Ball Gundams.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Doublehex posted:

...but it doesn't say you pick them once PER LEVEL. It just says you pick them once. End of line.

I mean it makes sense what you guys are saying. But it doesn't say that in the book. Is that just a community decided interpretation, or did those two crucial words just escape the writers, the editors and all of the testers?

I hadn't actually checked the book before and you're right about what's literally written there. I think it is a mistake.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Majuju posted:

Fights go super fast. If you're worried about not having a healer, the solution is to win faster.

And then burn all your recoveries after the fight.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

OmniDesol posted:

Every player is able to auto-succeed at a rally once a combat, guaranteeing themselves the ability to use at least one recovery a fight. After that, it's a normal save to rally, which isn't that difficult, and doesn't burn a turn if it fails. Clerics and Bards are nice in that (should they feel benevolent) they allow characters to spend a recovery without the random chance of failing to rally/without a heavier damage dealer spending their turn to rally... but it is by no means a party requirement.

As for the second question, many classes have options for special healing backup powers in some form or another. Characters likely to get into the fray and take hits are usually capable of gaining temporary health or mitigating damage in some way.

If they have a hard time, that is what healing potions are for. :) From what I've seen only really hard fights call for a dedicated healer. And even in those, people forget to Rally, etc.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Doublehex posted:

quote:

When you gain an incremental advance, choose one of the traits of your next level to receive immediately instead of waiting until you level up.
You can take each incremental advance only once
There's no need to say 'once per level' because the preceding paragraph specifies incremental advances are specific to a level. The book isn't written in bulletproof 4e-style legalese, true, but the only way to misinterpret this section is to ignore the context of the previous paragraph, and even if you do it obviously doesn't make sense, as you pointed out earlier.

They've not written broken rules, they've written very slightly ambiguous rules and none of the editors or testers picked up on it because the ambiguity is so slight and the correct interpretation so obvious that this is probably the first time it's caused any more than a half-second pause whilst reading.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Talkie Toaster posted:

There's no need to say 'once per level' because the preceding paragraph specifies incremental advances are specific to a level. The book isn't written in bulletproof 4e-style legalese, true, but the only way to misinterpret this section is to ignore the context of the previous paragraph, and even if you do it obviously doesn't make sense, as you pointed out earlier.

They've not written broken rules, they've written very slightly ambiguous rules and none of the editors or testers picked up on it because the ambiguity is so slight and the correct interpretation so obvious that this is probably the first time it's caused any more than a half-second pause whilst reading.

It's actually pretty easily to misinterpret this as: "As you wait to level up your GM can let you pick an advance that is from your next level, but you can pick each advance only once for your character." The correct answer isn't obvious because it's fairly easy to misinterpret it. My entire group missed on it and I'm sure we aren't alone on that.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Doublehex posted:

It's actually pretty easily to misinterpret this as: "As you wait to level up your GM can let you pick an advance that is from your next level, but you can pick each advance only once for your character." The correct answer isn't obvious because it's fairly easy to misinterpret it. My entire group missed on it and I'm sure we aren't alone on that.

This is how we did it too, each advance can only be picked once for the character. We never did Blood and Thunder until recently and when I saw it gave two advances in one level I started wondering.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
It certainly doesn't help that there's only one checkbox for the advances on the character sheet (except for powers). I suppose you're supposed to erase all of them when you level up, but it does give the impression that you're only supposed to get each one once ever.

Cras
May 2, 2006

if wise be he who wields it
So, do you guys think that fact that the Ranger basic melee attack can use either DEX or STR for the attack, but uses only STR for the damage is intentional? I could see it going either way.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Cras posted:

So, do you guys think that fact that the Ranger basic melee attack can use either DEX or STR for the attack, but uses only STR for the damage is intentional? I could see it going either way.

I'm curious on that one, too. It doesn't seem like it should work that way, but maybe they though a melee ranger dumping strength would be a problem?

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

I also found it confusing for Bards and Rangers can use STR or DEX for their attacks. Is it highest? Lowest? Player's choice? I wish they would say the circumstances for each.

Cras
May 2, 2006

if wise be he who wields it

Doublehex posted:

I also found it confusing for Bards and Rangers can use STR or DEX for their attacks. Is it highest? Lowest? Player's choice? I wish they would say the circumstances for each.

It's definitely player's choice. It says so on page 82, in the ability scores section of the Bard class overview.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I have a question about "Engaged". I've read the section a few times and it's unclear for me.

If 'A' is engaged with 'B' and 'B' is engaged with 'C' is 'A' also engaged with 'C'? Or is it dependent on basing like they mention in the book and only the minis that can touch each other are engaged?

Basically whether its a rugby scrum or more tactically limited.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I find it's often a judgement call. If all the participants are man-sized, then I figure everyone in the brawl is engaged, but two people could be on opposite sides of a big old golem and not be engaged. Though if the PC specifically wants to just engage one part of the mess, I usually let them do it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Alright, we can shelve this but before we do, I'm curious about something.
Was the alternate stat system something you were still interested in?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's an alternate/additional Icon I worked out (I also have plans for The Green, The Silver, The Bronze, and the Knight Commander)

The White

In the icy lands far to the North of the Dragon Empire, a forgotten icon stirs. It's fairly well known that the Wizard King (now better known as the Lich King) killed the White Dragon in a massive confrontation. Whether this is a descendant of the White, or the White returned is unknown. What is known is that the White controls the Northern Wastes. The nomadic tribes that wander these frozen lands send their best warriors every five years to battle for the White's favor.

The unworthy are slain (and/or eaten by the White). The worthy receive the Frozen Brand, a symbol of the White's favor, and sent back to their tribes to function as honored advisers and leaders. Those who particularly catch the White's eye receive a different blessing. They are preserved in ice by a careful application of the White's draconic breath. It is said that when the White has a large enough army, he will reverse the spell holding them in suspended animation, and the barbarian army will sweep forth and slay the Lich King.

Quote: "Once, the Wizard King visited upon us great horrors and strife. When the time is right, we shall return the favor, ten-fold."

Usual Location His lair in the Northern Wastes, but they travel a lot to determine that no foes threaten his lands.

Common Knowledge: It was rumored that the line of White Dragons had ended, thanks to the Wizard King, but instead, they settled in the Northern Wastes and seemed happy in that frozen climate. The Northern Barbarian Tribes pay homage to these dragons and send them tribute and battle for their favor.

Adventurers and the Icon: Usually, the view of the White is quite conflicted. Barbarians and other such Northerners may have battled for the White's favor (and then left their tribe to seek adventure and glory in warmer climes). Missions for the White usually seek to harm the White's enemies (chief amongst them the Lich King). Other adventurers usually receive commissions to seek out artifacts and material from past ages.

Allies: The White is uneasy allies with The Three (as much as one dragon ever allies with others). Other allies are more convenience based (if they seek to harm the Lich King, then they will seek a temporary truce).

Enemies: The Lich King is said to be quite perturbed that a foe they had thought long since destroyed has returned. The Emperor worries that the White could lead a barbarian army into the Empire in search of the Lich King and cause the Empire strife.

History The White has waxed and waned in past ages, as different monsters have assumed the title.

The True Danger Everything will be fine, unless the agents of the White uncover the mystic Draconic Amulet of Winter's Chill, then the Northern Wastes will expand into fertile lands currently held by the Empire, and the White will see that the time to avenge ancient wrongs has come.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sigh. Have yet to receive response from email about damaged replacement books.

Slightly disappointed here.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
So this might be a dumb question, but in the Wizard class entry it says:

13th Age pg. 144 posted:

No matter how you want your wizard to learn spells, you can handle a certain number of spells each day. They don’t have to be the same spells each day. Every time you take a full heal-up, you
can swap around your spells. Go ahead and assume that all the wizard spells are part of the basic spellbook package, and swap them in and out as you will.

As far as I can see no other spell casting class can do this? It seems - maybe not overpowered - but it doesn't make much sense to me. Does it mean that Wizard's can use the same daily spell multiple times if they want to? I'm actually asking because one of my player's is a cleric, and I thought he might be able to do that same, but there doesn't seem to be a mention of it in the class write up.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

thefakenews posted:

As far as I can see no other spell casting class can do this? It seems - maybe not overpowered - but it doesn't make much sense to me. Does it mean that Wizard's can use the same daily spell multiple times if they want to? I'm actually asking because one of my player's is a cleric, and I thought he might be able to do that same, but there doesn't seem to be a mention of it in the class write up.

Nope, the wizard needs to take the High Arcana talent to be able to prep the same spell twice.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

thefakenews posted:

On p76 in the Shifting Choices section it says "You can change the spells you can cast after each full heal-up. We don't see much reason to penalize or favor some spellcasters over others on this count. If your PC is a spellcaster and you want to choose different spells that are legal for your character, go ahead." So the cleric can change spells around as he wishes. But he can't ready the same spell twice.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

On p76 in the Shifting Choices section it says "You can change the spells you can cast after each full heal-up. We don't see much reason to penalize or favor some spellcasters over others on this count. If your PC is a spellcaster and you want to choose different spells that are legal for your character, go ahead." So the cleric can change spells around as he wishes. But he can't ready the same spell twice.

Thanks. I was sure I read about it somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Man, barbarians in this game, let me tell you. I resumed DMing my campaign today after a brief hiatus, and party level 2 party managed to bluff their way past the guards of the brewery they were infiltrating (one encounter with a large number of level 1 enemies) to the demons inside (a second encounter with fewer, higher level monsters).

Long story short, the barbarian waited outside and because of their shenanigans the party initiated hostilities with both encounters at once. By some lucky rolls and quick thinking the barbarian managed to defeat almost the whole of the first encounter by himself in less time than it took the rest of the party with the second.

It was glorious.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Daaamn. What was he fighting?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Jackard posted:

Was the alternate stat system something you were still interested in?

Crap. Thanks for reminding me. I have it written up and need to send it to Cat for the next Page XX (Hey Cat! Incoming!) Here's the link for everyone else if you're still interested.

Also, based on a bunch of feedback, I'll be doing a skill challenge book.. booklet.. pamphlet.. thing.. probably for October. With 13 True Ways looming ever-closer in the distance I didn't quite want to touch the 'more class options' that handily dominated that survey yet. Currently it's around 6000-some words and I'm not even half done writing.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Crap. Thanks for reminding me. I have it written up and need to send it to Cat for the next Page XX (Hey Cat! Incoming!) Here's the link for everyone else if you're still interested.

Also, based on a bunch of feedback, I'll be doing a skill challenge book.. booklet.. pamphlet.. thing.. probably for October. With 13 True Ways looming ever-closer in the distance I didn't quite want to touch the 'more class options' that handily dominated that survey yet. Currently it's around 6000-some words and I'm not even half done writing.

Looks like interesting stuff. I don't know if my group would go for it, but I can definitely see where it's a viable alternative, since I'm sort of in the DTAS camp. Keep us updated on these projects.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Yaaay Keith Baker made a post about running Eberron in 13th Age!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Oh God, I am panicking! GMing on Saturday at PAX and I hope I can work with people's weird and wacky One Unique Things! :O

Guys, if you're GMing and someone comes across a really weird OUT, how have you dealt with it?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

En Fuego posted:

Oh God, I am panicking! GMing on Saturday at PAX and I hope I can work with people's weird and wacky One Unique Things! :O

Guys, if you're GMing and someone comes across a really weird OUT, how have you dealt with it?

Embrace it, and work with the player to shape it. As you and the player kinda work off the rough edges, it'll come to you. :)

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

En Fuego posted:

Here's an advice post I wrote on One Unique Things. It's a bit long to repost here, but a lot of it is how to use an OUT to influence a setting or a story. Actually I have no idea why I didn't repost it here but there it is anyway. The examples are all either my characters or the characters from the thread who you can find out more about by either reading the OP or listening to the podcast. You should probably do both.

Basically, an OUT tells you what the player is interested in exploring in the world. It's them literally telling you "here is something special and interesting and worth exploring". That makes it good motivation, a good plot hook, a good way to define the setting and it lets the player do some of the work for you. As the GM, you don't have to worry about if its plausible or not, as long as it doesn't make the character unbeatable or anything, it's basically a thing you can take and run with and the more you do it, the more interested the player will be.

So basically, the weird ones are the fun ones. They're also easy because you already know how most characters are going to react to it (namely, weirded out). They're also the ones that are easy to reward with plot hooks, though you should definitely pay attention to the more mundane ones and try and come up with some sort of interesting consequence so the player can still feel special.

You might not be able to cover every OUT in depth over one session, but at least try to give people a moment for them, even (especially) if it means breaking the rules to do it. There's a really good example in the book of someone with a mechanical heart who was attacked (and critted) by a spear-wielding foe, but the GM decided it hit the heart and glanced off it, reducing it to a regular hit. Little things like that that make people feel clever for coming up with something creative and unique are a great way to make a 13th Age session memorable because its something you're not likely to get in regular D&D.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kenderama posted:

Embrace it, and work with the player to shape it. As you and the player kinda work off the rough edges, it'll come to you. :)

One of my current players has never tried roleplaying games in his life. He chose, as his one unique thing, "My singing summons cats that spring out of the earth" and took background "Tenor +3" along with it. I embraced it, and it worked really nicely: he did things like using the cats to trip a villain he was chasing. It was a natural 20, so we decided that the bad guy was running down a flight of stairs.

Thus began the legend of the singin' dancin' half-orc Paladin, and his magical crit-kittens.

Generally speaking if a one unique thing is a special power that seems way too extreme, have them tie it in with a background. For example in my previous group, one of my players had as his Unique Thing "Is a Ghost" and he would have all the standard ghostly powers, i.e. invisibility, walking through walls, etc. Which seemed a bit much, so we had a background called 'I'm not dead!' where the character was convinced he wasn't a ghost, meaning his ghostly powers could fail if he got self-conscious.

In practice, it just meant that he had to beat the same DC as the other players while still getting a fun unique thing. For example, two players were sneaking after a cultist to find out where his base was. If we have a standard rogue with a background "stealthy +3" stick to the shadows or dive from the rooftops, then if he fails to beat his opponent's Wisdom roll I'd say "you make too much noise and are caught!" If we have the ghost with the background "I'm not dead! +3" try to turn invisible, then if he fails to beat his opponent's Wisdom roll, I'd say "You stand there sheepishly while realizing that living people totally don't turn invisible, and as you start to solidify again, the cultist turns around to give a cry of alarm!"

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Thanks guys. Awesome stuff.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

En Fuego posted:

Had a guy "I can see the one true path of my fate as a glowing line leading me to my destiny". Convenient railroading device!

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

-Fish- posted:

Had a guy "I can see the one true path of my fate as a glowing line leading me to my destiny". Convenient railroading device!

Someone either really liked Fable 2's objective finding mechanic, or really hated it and is trying to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

En Fuego posted:

Just this weekend, a player sat down and said "I can't perceive lies." Sounds like a disaster, right? Can't fool him? Use that to your advantage. Have one player's best friend NPC flat-out bullcrap her and tell the other player "you just missed like 3 seconds of that conversation." Now you have an enemy that the players hesitate to flat-out hit with sharp objects. Add redshirts and go for it.

• Locked thread