Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

YOTJ first, then resign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Yeah. It's much harder to gain employment when you're unemployed. Just tough it out and start dumping resumes.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
True true. I'll stick it out for a bit - But it's really getting to me at the moment. The reason why the job was so great early on was that the call level was at a level where I could not only devote the time needed, but also learn about what the issue was, how a particular program/system worked etc.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm so sick of being on the helpdesk here. It's out of control.

There's 4 of us, for an organization with 1500+ people across 80 locations. Today, one person is out sick, one person "will be in late" because he has to "check on a friend's cat", another person has been outside on a personal call for the last 30 minutes, annnnnddd... then there's me, logged into the phone queue taking back-to-back calls.

And the best part? There's no repercussions! Well, the best part for them. Oh well, at least the CIO sees how awesome I am (i.e. I actually do a job, good or not), and knows that I should be on the fast track to server/networking stuff.

It feels good to vent now and then :unsmith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our call center (for customer service calls, not IT calls) have to ask their manager to even go to the bathroom.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Thankfully it's not that bad for me. If I need to take a phone call or go to the bathroom, I can. But there's no system in place for lunch breaks. If I go out for lunch, calls will get logged to me. People will still need updates on their calls etc. So most of the time I just eat a sandwich at 12, take 5 minutes, then dive straight back in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't get paid for lunch and it's 45 minutes. I've been here for 10 years and I've finally trained people that if they call me over lunch, I won't be answering my phone.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QPZIL posted:

There's 4 of us, for an organization with 1500+ people across 80 locations. Today, one person is out sick, one person "will be in late" because he has to "check on a friend's cat", another person has been outside on a personal call for the last 30 minutes, annnnnddd... then there's me, logged into the phone queue taking back-to-back calls.
STORY TWIST: Cat-checking guy fixes the CEO's home computer, gets promoted.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Yeah, this happens when you don't push back, which sets unrealistic expectations. Not that pushing back is easy to do when you're on helpdesk so that's understandable, but when someone gives you a "top priority" ticket followed by another 5 minutes later, you don't say "OK", you say "which of these do you want doing because it's not possible to complete both at once". Let the manager make that decision and let them take responsibility for it. Same for the lunch break, email your line manager when you start your lunch break if you have to, and if a ticket doesn't get a response that's their problem.

In a lot of lovely places this would probably lead to lovely managers trying to make your life worse, but if you're planning on leaving anyway what do you have to lose? There's just as much chance that someone will sit up and take notice of what's going on and do something about it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Ahh good 3 day weekend coming up, should be able to finish clean up the OP.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My current hell: I get about 4 hours worth of ticket requests every day. I also have a backlog with several multi-day projects that need to be worked. Throw in a couple 6+ hour software deploys, a few hour long meetings, and the occasional fire. Label everything as "priority" and stir until you are bent and broken. There just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that I'm being asked to do.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

At first when I started here and it started to get busy, I was perfectly fine with just working after I got home, doing everything that could be done remotely, remotely.

But recently I've realised it's just not worth the effort. It's not getting me any extra recognition, it may make the next day slightly easier but it's loving up my work-life balance.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

At first when I started here and it started to get busy, I was perfectly fine with just working after I got home, doing everything that could be done remotely, remotely.

But recently I've realised it's just not worth the effort. It's not getting me any extra recognition, it may make the next day slightly easier but it's loving up my work-life balance.

Work-life balance should never be an issue for helpdesk. Never take anything home with you unless you're getting paid overtime for it. period.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Ahh good 3 day weekend coming up, should be able to finish clean up the OP.
You meant to say "ahh good 3 day weekend coming up, should be able to ignore the OP since no one reads it and instead spend the weekend with family and friends, ignoring the internet".

Ain't doin shiiiiiit this weekend. Love when I've already decided that on Tuesday.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You meant to say "ahh good 3 day weekend coming up, should be able to ignore the OP since no one reads it and instead spend the weekend with family and friends, ignoring the internet".

Ain't doin shiiiiiit this weekend. Love when I've already decided that on Tuesday.

And my wife wonders why Labor Day is my favorite holiday.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Nah my work gave me some tickets to this cool event for friday night, free openbar/food buffett, so I can work on it. If nothing else I want to it be a somewhat "atleast read the first page before asking how do I IT" apparently my last thread helped some people as I have met some people in CS:GO "Oh hey are you dilbert from SA?" and some other forums I joined.

And probably redo the VMware thread OP as the 5.5 NDA's are lifted.

Probably going to add a YoTJ section for "when it's time to realize you need to YoTJ"

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 27, 2013

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

HatfulOfHollow posted:

My current hell: I get about 4 hours worth of ticket requests every day. I also have a backlog with several multi-day projects that need to be worked. Throw in a couple 6+ hour software deploys, a few hour long meetings, and the occasional fire. Label everything as "priority" and stir until you are bent and broken. There just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that I'm being asked to do.

When I got into situations like this I got management involved.

"Here are my current tasks. Everything is priority 1. Please prioritize these for me."

Customer asks why you aren't working on their thing? Contact my boss. The boss gets true visibility into how much you're overloaded, you and the customer are constantly contacting him for updates & prioritization, and hopefully he'll finally crack and hire someone else or find someone to offload your work onto.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

True true. I'll stick it out for a bit - But it's really getting to me at the moment. The reason why the job was so great early on was that the call level was at a level where I could not only devote the time needed, but also learn about what the issue was, how a particular program/system worked etc.
Number one thing to remember: it's just a job, and it can be your choice whether to let it rub on your state of mind.

Thankfully it's not that bad for me. If I need to take a phone call or go to the bathroom, I can. But there's no system in place for lunch breaks. If I go out for lunch, calls will get logged to me. People will still need updates on their calls etc. So most of the time I just eat a sandwich at 12, take 5 minutes, then dive straight back in.
This is a typical example. Take your loving lunch break. If the calls get logged to you, work them out before queuing again.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

There just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that I'm being asked to do.
Then accomplish what you have time to, notify and communicate professionally, then go the gently caress home.

GreenNight posted:

Our call center (for customer service calls, not IT calls) have to ask their manager to even go to the bathroom.
Cute.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 27, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

GreenNight posted:

Do you work at a Kindergarten?

Also, are you 5?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This is illegal, you are REQUIRED a 30 minute break from work every 6 hours of work, whether this break is paid or unpaid doesn't matter. Now, it is definitely up to you to take this break or not, but if you stop working for 30 minutes for lunch your employer can't do poo poo about it if you work 6 or more hours. If your employer tries to stop you, you are well within your rights to inform uhh I forget the drat gov't agency at the moment.

Unless you are not from the US, in which case I don't know law, but I would guess it is at minimum this since we have the worst labor laws in the country world derp derp.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 27, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Number one thing to remember: it's just a job, and it can be your choice whether to let it rub on your state of mind.

This is a typical example. Take your loving lunch break. If the calls get logged to you, work them out before queuing again.

Then accomplish what you have time to, notify and communicate professionally, then go the gently caress home.

Cute.

I agree with all of this. I'll try and take the full hour tomorrow.

MF_James posted:

This is illegal, you are REQUIRED a 30 minute break from work every 6 hours of work, whether this break is paid or unpaid doesn't matter. Now, it is definitely up to you to take this break or not, but if you stop working for 30 minutes for lunch your employer can't do poo poo about it if you work 6 or more hours. If your employer tries to stop you, you are well within your rights to inform uhh I forget the drat gov't agency at the moment.

Unless you are not from the US, in which case I don't know law, but I would guess it is at minimum this since we have the worst labor laws in the country world derp derp.

It's illegal if they were to say "You cannot take a lunch break", yes. I am not taking a break out of choice. (In the UK, by the way.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MF_James posted:

I don't know what US you're living in, but at least on a Federal level, the only rule is that you have to get paid overtime for every hour over 40 and they can't pay you less than minimum wage. Anything else is either a state specific law, a union negotiated benefit or your employer giving breaks because it increases productivity.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know what US you're living in, but at least on a Federal level, the only rule is that you have to get paid overtime for every hour over 40 and they can't pay you less than minimum wage. Anything else is either a state specific law, a union negotiated benefit or your employer giving breaks because it increases productivity.

Well, I guess that it's an illinois DOL law, I thought it was a federal law, my mistake

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah it's not federal but state by state: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/meal.htm

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Any good resources in spec'ing out places to move for IT jobs?

My current way is looking at DICE/indeed and VMware Partner locator, then google-fu'ing the VAR's/MSP's in the area, followed by looking up the city's growth and such.

Any easier way? I really don't want to be in the Virginia area for long after I hit 25.

Currently into

Charlotte, NC (Research Triangle) (really strongly leaning to here)
St. Louis/Nashville
Cleveland Ohio
Washington/Oregon State

Mostly wanting to avoid Texas, California, unless there are some sweet offerings in those states.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Mostly wanting to avoid Texas, California, unless there are some sweet offerings in those states.
Whyzat? I'm moving to the Dallas Metroplex largely because of the IT in the area.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Charlotte, NC (Research Triangle) (really strongly leaning to here)
The triangle isn't too bad, but NC is still loving NC, and your happiness will be proportional to the distance between you and it.
Why would you not want to move to Cali?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Join me and Moey in CO. It owns out here :smugdog:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

evil_bunnY posted:

The triangle isn't too bad, but NC is still loving NC, and your happiness will be proportional to the distance between you and it.

As a central-NC resident, and the fiance of a Charlotte native, I agree with this sentiment.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Probably because California's laws, taxes, and culture are toxic as gently caress.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Probably because California's laws, taxes, and culture are toxic as gently caress.

But the weather makes up for it amirite?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

MF_James posted:

But the weather makes up for it amirite?

Only if you're on the coast or up north in "practically Oregon". Down south it's literally roadrunner and coyote territory, in the center off the coast it's Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton, and Sacramento. All the good weather in the world can't fix Fresno.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Docjowles posted:

I'm here too, not that I ever post much.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Moey'll help you save on moving costs as well!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Texas is a loving hotbed of tech jobs right now. DFW is always needing IT folks, Austin is loving hipster central and lots of companies are shifting operations from California to Austin. Apple, Cisco, thechive.com, General Motors opened a big IT center in Austin. Houston has a massive need for IT with all their energy company HQ's down there, and San Antonio is home to Rackspace, Joint Base San Antonio and has a fair bit of tech and energy companies around as well.

Not to mention cost of living here rocks. I live like a loving king out here compared to guys making double my salary in the bay area.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I actually got a job offer with GM in Austin.

For less money than I make now.

I was like "thanks but no thanks."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ursine Asylum posted:

Because the job title implies what the company is willing to pay you, generally based on the average of {job title} in the area. If company A wants to hire you as a "Senior Systems Engineer" and company B wants to hire you as "Computer Assistant II", it can end up being pretty telling exactly what your potential for advancement in the company is, not to mention the respect for your work you'll get when you're there.

I should point out that this also has a lot to do with varying levels of compliance with your state engineering board. In theory, the title "engineer" is actually a legally protected term that implies a level of legal liability for the work; in practice it is highly dependent on your local board's enforcement. In Texas, for example, they will throw the book at your company for claiming the title without licensure; to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

So don't worry about the title itself too too much, especially if it's a company with offices in several states or is international.

And yeah, title creep is also spreading to "architect" as well; which their regulatory boards are also beginning to take notice of, for many of the same reasons.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
You'll have to take my senior title from my cold dead hands

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Docjowles posted:

Speaking of, still hiring Operations people in Denver: http://www.xero.com/us/about/careers/

I've finally managed to get a goon referral hired (in Wellington, not Denver) so now I just need to wait a few months for that sweet sweet cash bonus.

Things bugging me right now: I'm working from home while I recover from a cold, and dealing with a crisis when you're in a different place to everyone else is a huge pain in the rear end. When I'm there I can just stand up and see if the guys I need are at their desks and start Getting poo poo Done. But at home I have no real way of knowing what the rest of the team is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Pretty much this, not saying if I was offered a :krad: vmware job I wouldn't take it but this is the not totally for moving there part of it.

Texas is the same way, not a fan of the State/Laws/etc but if offered a good job I could probably suck it up.

evil_bunnY posted:

Compared to VA I'll take it. Land's fairly cheap, Taxes seem to be lower than VA, and plenty of jobs in that area. As well as knowning there are decent VMware/Net/Storage jobs there

Docjowles posted:

Don't really know how living in the mile high club would play with my low blood pressure problem.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 28, 2013

• Locked thread