Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I've determined that it's not me that sucks, but my regular teammates and their lovely passing. We had someone from another team help us out last week since we were short, and he kept making these spot-on ground crosses that I was able to drill on-target while attacking the box at a full sprint, without missing a beat. Ended up with 2 goals and 2 assists in a 7-5 victory.

I still suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lazlow posted:

No, I can't even feel it, and I didn't really notice it until the bruise started to appear.

Got worse problems now, though. Had our first scrimmage for the season and the other team was short, so one of our center backs switched over, a giant Cameroonian. I got the ball at the top of the 18, squared it up for a straight-on shot, and he came and planted that size 14 right in front of the ball about half a second before I hit it, full force. Needless to say, being nearly a foot shorter and probably 50 lbs lighter I went down straight over, but not before my foot got bent back what felt like 180 degrees. Maybe I'm being a whiny bitch (I am), but gently caress, blocking a shot like that is what you do when you want to take someone out. You don't do it to your own teammate, Jesus.

Got it on ice now, hurts like a motherfucker.

I wish I'd thought of this. 4 months ago I tackled a guy trying to hit a 30 yard piledriver. Since I'm not very big my style of tackling is nicking the ball off the opponent's toe and then getting away from him as quick as I can with the ball. In this case I managed the first part and then took the full force of his boot right on the top of my foot. Ironically, he had spent the previous 30 minutes trying to hurt me but was suddenly all apologetic when he managed it accidentally. It still aches quite a bit but if I rest it for any length of time I'll lose all my fitness right as the new season is starting. Unless I take up swimming or cycling I guess (ugh).

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Looks like I have no choice now - barely got any sleep last night because every time I moved the pain woke me up. Went to the doc this morning, and long story short, got my entire lower leg in a moon boot for the next 2-4 weeks. I should be good to go come the start of the season, but it'll take me a while to get fit again.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
There's a special place in hell reserved for those who say they will pay five a side and then don't bother to inform you they won't be turning up. I called the lad 10 minutes into our hour long slot on the pitch to him saying "oh yeah, i got to work and realised i'd forgotten my kit". Didn't occur to him to tell me he'd done this. Needless to say, he won't be invited back next week.

Ugh.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Do any of y'all play in Philly? Just moved to north Philly and I'm looking for some spots

edit: walked outside, found a field, started kicking a ball, 30+ people showed up and there were mad games. And holy gently caress people play fast out here, I had no time on the ball and was entirely useless the whole time.

grvm fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 15, 2013

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
How effective is practicing with one of those mini soccer balls? My place is pretty small so I'd figure I can practice my footwork/dribbling with the mini ball indoors. Am I just wasting my time and just get a regular sized ball?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

How effective is practicing with one of those mini soccer balls? My place is pretty small so I'd figure I can practice my footwork/dribbling with the mini ball indoors. Am I just wasting my time and just get a regular sized ball?

It definitely helps your close control since you have to be a lot more precise.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Geno posted:

I do the same, I just keep it at my feet as I'm doing chores or whatever. It definitely helped improve control with my left foot.

BISCUIT_TINS
Dec 23, 2008
I'm gonna be playing right back next season, and one thing I've always struggled with is crossing while running. I can cross fine from a standing position but I can't get my head around crossing while running - foot positioning, where to hit the ball etc. Can anybody help me with this?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

BISCUIT_TINS posted:

I'm gonna be playing right back next season, and one thing I've always struggled with is crossing while running. I can cross fine from a standing position but I can't get my head around crossing while running - foot positioning, where to hit the ball etc. Can anybody help me with this?

Start your kicking motion before you're physically where you want to cross the ball from, this comes with practice but have a cross in mind before you do it. This will prevent you from hooking one in and falling over backwards with the ball going nowhere. Don't try to scoop the ball up with the top of your foot like you're chipping it, you use the inside/front portion of your boot to get the lift you want. This is easier said than done and takes a bit of practice, but once it clicks you'll find this whole maneuver a lot easier. If you have the space, dribble the ball a little further forward than you normally would for your last touch before the cross and try to hit the ball as it's barely moving forward.

All of this takes practice, but placing the cross in the correct way on your foot can be practiced against a wall. Place the ball stationary somewhere then run parallel with the wall and try to pick a spot on it that you want to hit. As you get better at this try doing it with the ball moving.

BISCUIT_TINS
Dec 23, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

Start your kicking motion before you're physically where you want to cross the ball from, this comes with practice but have a cross in mind before you do it. This will prevent you from hooking one in and falling over backwards with the ball going nowhere. Don't try to scoop the ball up with the top of your foot like you're chipping it, you use the inside/front portion of your boot to get the lift you want. This is easier said than done and takes a bit of practice, but once it clicks you'll find this whole maneuver a lot easier. If you have the space, dribble the ball a little further forward than you normally would for your last touch before the cross and try to hit the ball as it's barely moving forward.

All of this takes practice, but placing the cross in the correct way on your foot can be practiced against a wall. Place the ball stationary somewhere then run parallel with the wall and try to pick a spot on it that you want to hit. As you get better at this try doing it with the ball moving.

Excellent, just what I was looking for! Cheers very much mate

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BISCUIT_TINS posted:

You'll want to make sure your hips are turning toward the target as you cross the ball as well. Trying to snatch at the ball will lead to you skewing it out of bounds as you'll be hitting across the ball causing it to spin toward the goal as opposed to away when you turn your body.

Turning your hips will generate more power too, kinda like a golf swing.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Focus on where you are planting your foot and the rest is just instinct/momentum.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Holy poo poo lads. I bought new futsal boots because mine were getting old and poo poo. Played my first game in them on Monday, hit the crossbar from half way. Played for a casual team tonight and hit the crossbar again from half way, then scored after a dribble from inside my own half, and to top it off then scored a scissor kick from a corner. I'm pretty sure I can die complete now, I'm never topping that.

Ludicrous Gibs
Apr 22, 2008

I've just started playing 11-a-side on a Saturday - in goal. Does anyone have any good resources or favourite videos for improving yourself in goal? I feel shockingly out of my depth and over-committed at this level of play.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ludicrous Gibs posted:

I've just started playing 11-a-side on a Saturday - in goal. Does anyone have any good resources or favourite videos for improving yourself in goal? I feel shockingly out of my depth and over-committed at this level of play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqOxNspUPyE

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Ludicrous Gibs posted:

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/

Start at the top with footwork and positioning and work your way down.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

knew what this would be before I clicked it. thank you for not letting me down.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scored 4 goals in my game today(11v11). First time I've scored 4 in a game since I was 13.

That's my football story for the day.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shrapnac posted:

Scored 4 goals in my game today(11v11). First time I've scored 4 in a game since I was 13.

That's my football story for the day.

That's a lot of goals. Were the other team really that poo poo, or are you just amazing

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NinjaSteve posted:

That's a lot of goals. Were the other team really that poo poo, or are you just amazing

Yes.

(We won 9-0 :ssh:)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So, I don't know why but a lot of my long passes seem to curve instead of going straight. Can someone explain to me how to stop this?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

So, I don't know why but a lot of my long passes seem to curve instead of going straight. Can someone explain to me how to stop this?

You're hitting across the ball instead of through it.

If you "punch" through the ball it will go straight. Once you hit across it you impart spin. There's no harm in using that spin though, as long as you make sure you compensate for how much the ball will turn.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
So I've just been diagnosed with tendinitis in my foot/lower leg. Soccer season starts tomorrow and I'm signed up for 3-4 matches per week. Does anyone have experience dealing with tendinitis and could give me some tips on match prep/recovery?

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
e: double post

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Akbar posted:

So I've just been diagnosed with tendinitis in my foot/lower leg. Soccer season starts tomorrow and I'm signed up for 3-4 matches per week. Does anyone have experience dealing with tendinitis and could give me some tips on match prep/recovery?

HTFU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

You're hitting across the ball instead of through it.

If you "punch" through the ball it will go straight. Once you hit across it you impart spin. There's no harm in using that spin though, as long as you make sure you compensate for how much the ball will turn.

That makes sense. I noticed that if I dont follow through it won't curve as much if at all. Thanks. I thought it was because my foot was angled weird or there was something hosed up with my follow through.

I'm getting better with first touches, I just have difficulty stopping the ball if a pass is rocketed towards me. Usually it ends up bouncing off my foot about 10 feet or so.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

That makes sense. I noticed that if I dont follow through it won't curve as much if at all. Thanks. I thought it was because my foot was angled weird or there was something hosed up with my follow through.

I'm getting better with first touches, I just have difficulty stopping the ball if a pass is rocketed towards me. Usually it ends up bouncing off my foot about 10 feet or so.

Well it's like a golf swing to use a tired analogy. If one thing is out of synch it all is but if everything is curving it's because you're coming across the ball. I have a buddy who never plays soccer but if we go out and knock the ball around he can bend it like crazy, but with no control. Naturally you hit across the ball which causes spin. If you put your laces through the ball it goes straight, once you start to use the instep for more than short passes you'll spin the ball.

Everyone has problems if you rocket a ball at them, don't worry about that. Having a silky first touch isn't easy and it honestly separates the good players from the high class players. (Full disclosure, I have the touch of a rapist.)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Why did everyone on my regular team have to die last season? gently caress "house teams" up their stupid rear end. Everyone plays like they're a forward, including the god drat keeper going on kamikaze runs. The next time I end up the sole defender against a 3-man onrush I just may earn myself a red card.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Akbar posted:

Well poo poo isn't going to get any better if you're playing 3-4 times a week. That's for sure.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Akbar posted:

I've got tendinitis in my heel, it's a bitch, and I only play 6-a-side on Sundays. Rest is the best cure, and Vinestalk is right, 3-4 games per week is gonna hurt.

Just realized I should be reading this thread more, given that I started playing Sunday league last November, (literally my first football since 2nd grade) and I've actually picked it up quite well, all things considered. Plus I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs, so I don't exactly fit the mold. (Stoke City, maybe)

My training methods are questionable though. Mostly kicking around in the backyard with my dog, Reggie.

Here he is returning a ball:

Skill balls are perfect, he can catch them out of the air and I honestly feel like it helps me when I move to a full-sized ball.

Usually I aim for one of the three brown spots there, which have been worn down by Reggie sprinting into that area. What's nice is the path on the right rounds the tree and spits the ball out the back, so when I rip a ball down that alley, it ricochets and drives the dog nuts.

The downside of practicing with a German Shepherd is that my open-field dribbling skills are pretty weak. I'm good at shielding the ball and hold-up play, (as much as there can be in an indoor field) but when I have a lot of space in front of me, I'm not the best at moving into it. I usually work from the back, making the occasional run up front.

The lawn looks like poo poo because I rent and my landlord mows once per moon cycle or something.

Either way, without a doubt the most fun I've had playing a sport. Also my footwork in the post playing basketball has improved, which is a nice bonus.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

So I've been playing five a side 3 times a week for the last couple of months. I play in goal and defense.

Any tips from goalkeepers about dealing with and/or avoiding bruised fingers? Last week I got a bruised index finger on my right hand from a kick, and tonight I stopped a really hard shot with the tip of my thumb and now it's all bruised. This last one was mostly bad technique I guess.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Drogadon posted:

So I've been playing five a side 3 times a week for the last couple of months. I play in goal and defense.

Any tips from goalkeepers about dealing with and/or avoiding bruised fingers? Last week I got a bruised index finger on my right hand from a kick, and tonight I stopped a really hard shot with the tip of my thumb and now it's all bruised. This last one was mostly bad technique I guess.

Are you wearing gloves?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Get proper gloves and just practice at stopping shots. Youre doing it wrong if your hand hurts.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Drogadon posted:

Stop trying to stop shots with your fabulous spirit fingers?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Drogadon posted:

1. Fist the ball away
2. Don't try to catch the ball
3. Don't try to stop the ball
4. Redirect the ball

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I knew keepers who always used to tape their fingers. I don't know how useful that is, though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Adulterous Hitler posted:

1. Fist the ball away
2. Don't try to catch the ball
3. Don't try to stop the ball
4. Redirect the ball

Actually catching the ball is cool and good. I'm American so was just naturally really good at goalkeeping, like all my countrymen. I got some good gloves and was all set.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Yes, I do wear gloves. I think my mistake was probably trying to catch that shot then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just punch it. My keeper generally only grabs the ball during corners and rollers.