Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
1. D - The king cut our hair. We are more than a simple servant.

2. D - We are not a dog. But Snarls is.

3. A - Kids.

4. G - I really am worried that he'll turn into a huge loving brat. What an rear end in a top hat.

5. A - Adding that we scare the kids off by saying we will eat them if they mess with us.

6. Don't care.

7. F - Out of a sense of duty.

8. D

9. L - Because education. If we are smart then not only do we cast off the image of a savage cannibal but also we are smart.

10. A - Of course

11. G - That's just me.

Basscop fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

Backpacks have not been invented yet. Bags have been.

Really. Do they have bags with ropes? So that they can wear the bag and have their hands free. This is an important issue.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

No one has thought of purses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
1. Where did you sleep each night?
D. Anything that pisses Keza off is a good thing

2. When Danal threw the ball I...
D. gently caress you Danal we're not your servant but we will at some point get it on with your sister.

3. When Danal does his pranks I...
D. Danal stop being a dick.

4. Danal ignored me at first when I told him he HAD to do something, so I...
F. Listen to me you little brat

5. How much does this bother me?
F. One day they'll feel our wrath

6. I decided to...
E. When in the palace...

7. When Danal is sent to clean the temple I....(Pick the one that MOST represents your motivation)
B. Jokes are fun

8. Speaking of gods, what do you believe?
C. We've been lied to too many times, if god wants us to believe in him he can come down and tell us so in a clear open fashion, gently caress this cryptic bullshit.

9. When I am not playing with Danal, my favorite thing to do is...
These two:
B. Knowing how to defend ourselves is good
L. Knowing how to read and speak is good.

10. Did I help Danal sneak out?
A. Getting into trouble is fun

11. When I really think about it, I honestly think that Danal is my....
B. Brother. He's a dumbass but he's our dumbass.
[/quote]

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
D, our own room. Growing boy needs his space, but it's still close to our friend.

D, go fetch Snarls. It's the best compromise between embarassing our buddy and asserting our independence. We're 13 now, we can't get bossed around like that by an eight-year-old, even if he's a cool eight-year-old.

E: Help Danal mess with people who deserve it, not the poor servants. Kid-pranks are fun and we should have quality time with Danal, but let's take the opportunity to direct him away from being an awful brat - we don't want him to grow up into a Joffrey Lannister, and besides, mom's a servant so let's have some sympathy for them. There's got to be someone in the palace who deserves our 'attentions.'

G, try again and stop him from being a brat. If he doesn't get straightened out soon he's going to be terrible.

F, don't change, just seethe. Haters gonna hate. (it's us, we're the hater)

6. I decided to...
E, get that rich skirt. Clothes make the man, and hey, it's about time we leverage the whole "best friends with the prince" thing. Besides, what teenager is going to turn down the chance for sweet clothes?

7. When Danal is sent to clean the temple I....(Pick the one that MOST represents your motivation)
B. Friends don't let friends clean an entire temple alone.

G, and voting for SogolPlan:

Sogol posted:

G Belief? We don't need to believe. These gods exist. We have been spoken to. We have seen 'demons' and been. in the workshop of a god. We are wearing god made sandals and carrying around a god made flute. Belief is not necessary. How could we not believe in the various powers of entire multiple pantheons. So called demons. Yes. El pantheon. Yes. Melachim. Yes. Probably the stuff we heard about the Sun, Moon and Stars is true too. Why wouldn't it be. This is just what so about the world. We are respectful and curious.

K, watch Tudiya because Tudiya is kind of awesome and we have a lot to learn from him about the more mature parts of Being Awesome, which we're now old enough to appreciate.

A. ADVENTURE.

A. I've never seen a brotherly relationship where the younger one is dominant, but it can absolutely happen with kid friends.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1.C
2.D+I
3.A
4.F+G
5.C
6.C Robes when we're doing official stuff, loin cloth when we're in private. Basically 7changing clothes for the occasion. I guess we can ask for a skirt when we're of age?
7.B
8.E
9.B
10.A
11.A

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm posting this to say that I'm changing my vote for #9 from L to B. I want us to impress the king and win many boons from him (I would most like for us to win the princess' hand, but I'll settle for being rich and powerful). The best way to earn boons is to kill monsters and other enemies of El's children. To beat monsters, we need to train in the martial arts, and the Melachim's temple seems to be the best place to learn.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. C
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. A
6. C
7. A
8. B
9. C
10. C
11. G

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I'm not going to write a treatise about each of my choices, I just tried to pick some things that might steer us in a more independent direction.

1. D
2. D
3. D
4. D
5. C
6. C
7. E
8. E
9. M
(This was the toughest choice. I also liked King time, flute, and swimming)
10. B (no sword)
11. B

I'm interested in learning more about the Melachim. This is the path to becoming a mighty (wo?)man!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

C. We wouldn't want our own room, we've never known anyone who slept in a room alone since the families at home all shared a one room shack. We sleep with our family.

D. We're not a dog.

H. Help him, of course! ... But only if no one is likely to get hurt. If Danal proposes or tries to do something dangerous, I explain why I can't support it, and if he persists, I tell Tudiya (or Keza, if he's unavailable).

H. I try again because I am worried what Danal will become if he turns into a brat AND I am worried that will effect me negatively!

D. I... I am fine... *sniffle* really. I am in denial. It bothers me but I do not admit it to myself.

6. I decided to...
C. A robe like everyone else. No point trying to make ourselves look like a weirdo.

B. Go help him, of course! Danal is my friend. I try to keep him entertained by telling him jokes as we clean together.

B. I am uncertain what I believe, but I observe the religious practices other people follow.

F. Since swimming has been our favorite thing ever for our whole lives, it makes sense that we'd keep swimming if we could. Alone in the water is where we can really be ourself.

B. Yes, I did, but only a few times and I took a sword I "borrowed" like Danal said to. Apparently having adventures is a normal thing for his family.

A.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

No one has thought of purses.

Holy poo poo. How will we lig around 100 lbs of stolen loot when we go on a dungeon crawl? This will limit our adventuring abilities.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Holy poo poo. How will we lig around 100 lbs of stolen loot when we go on a dungeon crawl? This will limit our adventuring abilities.

Kill a big monster and stuff it full of gold and jewels, then drag it along behind us. When it gets full to bursting, stuff it inside an even better monster and repeat. This is what the real Enkidu would do.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

C. In my own bed in my mother's room because I love her so much! I did not want her to be lonely since I spend all day with Danal.

D. I did not get the ball because I am not a dog! But Snarls Barkley was with us so I told him to get it! He is very smart and he did!

B. I cover for him when he gets caught so he does not get in trouble.

D. I try again because I love Danal and I do not want him to get hurt!

E. Alright. I admit it. It does bother me. I try even harder to fit in because of it. I try to act like other people act.

6. I decided to...
C. A robe like everyone else.

B. Go help him, of course! Danal is my friend. I try to keep him entertained by telling him jokes as we clean together.

B. I am uncertain what I believe, but I observe the religious practices other people follow.

K. Sometimes I get to watch Tudiya do king stuff! He usually does not mind as long as I am quiet because I am Danal's friend. I like to follow him around and watch! Danal says it is boring!

A. Yes, I did. It was something we did regularly and I took a sword I "borrowed" like Danal said to.

A. Best friend.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. A
2. D
3. A
4. D
5. B
6. C
7. A
8. E
9. L
10. A
11. B

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I have carefully read each post. No one HAD to write anything extra, but it gave me extra insight into how you see your character, which I found useful. Do we have any volunteers to do a spreadsheet count? We might get an update late tonight if someone else can do the tally, if not the next update likely tomorrow night or the next.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
There was no choice on how much to spoil the dog. Nothing less than a giant bed with feather pillows and stuffed animals for our fat spoiled puppy.

1D
2D
3A/b
4G
5E
6 CWhen Hanging out with Danal/E when doing more formal stuff.
7B
8A
9K (Danals a bit of an idiot. We need to be ably to act as a proper advisor when we're older.
10A
11B

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 27, 2013

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
F. I have my own room, near Danal, but sometimes I sleep in Danal's room too. When I think my mother is lonely I sleep in her room instead.

H. I got the ball, but threw it to Naomi, and then asked her to throw it to Danal! Danal, Naomi, and I played a game of catch that day.

E. Help him, of course! But if a prank seems dangerous, I try to convince him to stop.

D. I try again because I love Danal and I do not want him to get hurt!

E. Alright. I admit it. It does bother me. I try even harder to fit in because of it. I try to act like other people act.

6. I decided to...
C. A robe like everyone else.

E. I go by myself because when I do, I get to spend time withe Zebanetha. Sometimes people are mean to me because I am different but Zebanetha is always VERY nice to me! And he knows great stories! Almost as good as Ishamals!

E. I do believe in El, but I like the Melachim more! Their stories are more exciting and it is more fun to go to their temple!

L. Spend time with Rathal, Danal's oldest sister. She is trying to teach me and Danal to count and to write but it is HARD! Danal is not learning much from her and neither am I, but I spend extra time with her alone, so try to learn! If I learn this before Danal does, I can help him learn it.

A. Yes, I did. It was something we did regularly and I took a sword I "borrowed" like Danal said to.

B. Brother.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 27, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1 C
2 D
3 A
4 F
5 B
6 C
7 E
8 A
9 L
10 A, yes sword
11 B

Absum
May 28, 2013

1 C
2 D
3 A
4 G
5 D
6 C
7 E

Sogol posted:

8- Belief
G Belief? We don't need to believe. These gods exist. We have been spoken to. We have seen 'demons' and been. in the workshop of a god. We are wearing god made sandals and carrying around a god made flute. Belief is not necessary. How could we not believe in the various powers of entire multiple pantheons. So called demons. Yes. El pantheon. Yes. Melachim. Yes. Probably the stuff we heard about the Sun, Moon and Stars is true too. Why wouldn't it be. This is just what so about the world. We are respectful and curious.

9 L
10 B, with sword
11 B

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
1.D
2.D
3.C
4.F
5.C
6.E
7.C
8.A
9.I
10.A
11.B

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1D
2D

Pththya-lyi posted:

H. Help him, of course! ... But only if no one is likely to get hurt. If Danal proposes or tries to do something dangerous, I explain why I can't support it, and if he persists, I tell Tudiya (or Keza, if he's unavailable).
4G. I try again because I am worried what Danal will become if he turns into a brat. But be a little empathetic about it, not pushy. "I used to do that too, till I found out how people react or felt afterward."
5B
6C
7C (with E as a close second)
8A
9K (Though I really like A and H)
10. Did I help Danal sneak out? B#1 Yes, I did, but only a few times and I took a sword I "borrowed" like Danal said to.
11B

Uberwill
May 1, 2007

我的中文不是很好
1. D
2. D
3. B
4. G
5. E
6. C
7. E
8. E
9. I
10. A
11. D

We are prematurely cynical, while still yearning for acceptance. We love Danal, but fear him and the loss of his patronage. We know what slavery is, and we know what pets are, and we know that we are treated like both. We should be looking for a way out.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

I'm working on a spreadsheet count

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Spreadsheet is up. Let me know if I made any mistakes.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Thank you for your help, Shadowglass. On several questions you have combined tallies I do not understand, like 4 and 5, but the individual counts helped.

Update goes up tonight. Voting is quasi-closed. You can still vote, if a vote changes radically we will change the result but for the ones that are close, they stand at whatever tally we have now, unless the results change in a big way.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

Thank you for your help, Shadowglass. On several questions you have combined tallies I do not understand, like 4 and 5, but the individual counts helped.

Update goes up tonight. Voting is quasi-closed. You can still vote, if a vote changes radically we will change the result but for the ones that are close, they stand at whatever tally we have now, unless the results change in a big way.

I actually forgot to vote myself. :bang:

For 4, I simply grouped the choices which start with "Don't try again..." (for some reason) and the choices which start with "Try again..." (for some reason) + F which is also trying again, just a bit differently :)

For 5, I guess you could say that both B and D are kind of grey areas. So we could just group A+C and E+F?

We wouldn't need these groupings if we used a score voting system. :eng101: Everybody can give a score of 0-5 or 0-10 to each choice based on how much they like it (you can give the same score to different choices). :)

My votes:
1. D
2. D
3. A
4. G
5. C
6. C
7. B
8. B
9. L
10. A + sword
11. A

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
A. Danal's bed is huge! I slept in it of course, just Danal said he wanted me to.

D. I did not get the ball because I am not a dog! But Snarls Barkley was with us so I told him to get it! He is very smart and he did!

A. Help him, of course!

F. I am Enkidel! I flew, faced the demon Asherah and lived! I can handle a spoiled brat! I BELIEVE I can get Danal to do what I say and if I act like I can, he will do what I say! It is all about confidence!

B. I would be upset but Danal says not to let them get to me. Danal makes me feel better.

A. Keep wearing a loincloth because I like it!

A. Go help him, of course! Danal is my friend. I want to help him finish as quick as he can so we can have fun!

G. Believe in Asherah, El, and Melachim, but do not follow them. Observe same religious practices as those around me to fit in. Like going to Melachim temple more.

K. Sometimes I get to watch Tudiya do king stuff! He usually does not mind as long as I am quiet because I am Danal's friend. I like to follow him around and watch! Danal says it is boring!

A. Best friend.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
After looking at the votes, I am disappointed that only one other person wants to practice on the magic flute. You guys would rather learn things from a mundane girl rather than a magic flute created by a god/angel. Pfft.

We could have become a rock star and tame beasts with our music and all that cool stuff!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Yep, the only thing we'll learn from that girl is what it feels like to have a broken heart.

:emo:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

After looking at the votes, I am disappointed that only one other person wants to practice on the magic flute. You guys would rather learn things from a mundane girl rather than a magic flute created by a god/angel. Pfft.

We could have become a rock star and tame beasts with our music and all that cool stuff!

What's up flute buddy? :hfive:

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Screw that, swimming! Information flows down the river, you know! Think of all we might learn! And find! Think of all we might find, hidden away along the river bottom! We could even find a magic flute!

One that plays.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Screw that, swimming! Information flows down the river, you know! Think of all we might learn! And find! Think of all we might find, hidden away along the river bottom! We could even find a magic flute!

One that plays.

This sounds like a terrible idea, likely only to yield a magical, cursed ring.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'm aware voting is essentially closed, but I got in late last night and only caught up just before I went to bed. For the sake of records, my vote:

1. D
2. E
3. B
4. H
5. E
6. C
7. E
8. B
9. L
10. A
11. F

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am mostly done with the update, but I still have more to write and I am exhausted. The next update should be tomorrow evening.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I considered voting for flute stuff because it would likely impress Naomi, but what I really want is for us to marry her. I do want Naomi to love us - I wouldn't want us to marry her if she didn't - but what's important is that we get permission from her father. (Yeah, we could always elope, but making her live in exile from her home and family isn't fair to her.) She's a princess, so she's either going to get married to seal a political alliance or given as a boon to a guy who impressed the king. We can't make a political alliance because we don't represent a nation, so we will have to settle for being impressive. A warrior king like Tudiya will be most impressed by a warrior, so I want us to become a great warrior!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pththya-lyi posted:

I considered voting for flute stuff because it would likely impress Naomi, but what I really want is for us to marry her. I do want Naomi to love us - I wouldn't want us to marry her if she didn't - but what's important is that we get permission from her father. (Yeah, we could always elope, but making her live in exile from her home and family isn't fair to her.) She's a princess, so she's either going to get married to seal a political alliance or given as a boon to a guy who impressed the king. We can't make a political alliance because we don't represent a nation, so we will have to settle for being impressive. A warrior king like Tudiya will be most impressed by a warrior, so I want us to become a great warrior!

Whoa dude, slow sown, we just met the girl. This is going to be like Hannah in moments all over again isn't it.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Two years have passed. Danal is 7 and you are 13. You are growing at breakneck speed and are well on your way to becoming a beast of myth in your own right. You are a few inches shy of six feet tall with bits of peach fuzz growing on your face. Your hunger may rival that of Asherah.

You are the terror of the kitchens of Tudiya's home and make frequent visits there. Unlike Asherah, your hunger can indeed be satisfied, for a time at least. Your mother keeps a jar full of seaweed cakes ever ready for you, they are not exactly like the ones from your village, they use river reeds, not seaweed, but you can feel her love in them.

When you first came to your new home, Danal would share his food with you and so you ate food of the finest quality. Keza put a stop to that however and you now generally eat whatever the servants and slaves in Tudiya's home eat, lots of bread, rice, onions, fish and occasionally, some meat. You also get a fair amount of beer, a drink popular with men of all ages in the city, free and slave.

When you first arrived Danal asked you to share his bed, a bed he shares with quite a few dogs, but you told him you wanted your own room.

Keza agreed and accompanied by several other slaves, lead you into the outdoor kennel attached to Danal's room and told you to take your pick of any of the small huts Danal's dogs often sleep in. The other slaves laughed. Humiliated, you stormed off in silence. When you told Danal what happened he was very upset and told his father, who gave you a room right next to Danal's. When Keza learned that you went behind her back, she was furious and has since taken her vengeance upon you in countless ways big and small since.

It is not unusual to find one of your meals left for you in a dog bowl, nor is it unusual to return to your room and find a neat pile of dog excitement waiting for you, Keza to arrive soon after and punish you for making a mess, or blaming it on Snarls Barkley who has never made a mess in your room. Keza is firmly of the opinion that you are an animal. She does not like you very much.

You have had revenge of your own sort however. Snarls Barkley has grown to adult size and despite it generally being agreed upon in Tudiya's home that he is uglier than sin, he is very, very smart.

After returning to your bed one evening to find a "present" waiting for you, Snarls Barkley snuck into Keza's room and deposited several presents of her own on her bed, in her cosmetics and (and you have still not figured out how) on her ceiling. Keza, upon discovering this stormed after you filled with rage, only to find you playing with Danal outside.

Danal has committed countless small pranks against the other occupants of Tudiya's home and you generally helped him, laughing all the while. Sometimes the two of you were caught, sometimes you were not, but you always saved your most ridiculous pranks for Keza.

Danal, as young children do, lacked any meaningful sense of self preservation and sometimes proposed truly dangerous pranks. You have acted like Danal's older brother in this regard and have done your best to keep him from doing anything truly dangerous.

Most of Danal's sisters are married and have children even older than you, but Naomi, Danal's youngest sister lives in Tudiya's home. She is only a few years older than you and quite pretty.

When you first met Naomi you did not know who she was. She asked Danal who you were and Danal said "He is mine! And he is really smart! Look! Go get the ball Enkidel!" And then threw a ball. This was not the first time Danal did such a thing either, he was quite fond of you but often expressed himself in a less than artful manner.

You whistled and pointed Snarls Barkley, ever at your side, to get the ball, which he did, then stood upon his hind legs and offered it to the laughing Naomi. She seems to find you foreign and interesting and has had many questions for you about your village. She seems to like you and appreciate the positive influence you have had on Danal.

You have have indeed had a positive influence on Danal. For as long as you have known him he has been your best friend, but he is also pushy and at times, unreasonably stubborn. You could see the figurative writing on the wall. Danal already was, or was swiftly becoming, a spoiled brat. Left alone to his own devices without enough adult supervision his pranks began to take a dark, possibly cruel edge on slaves which had no recourse at all. Your initial efforts to change his behavior were ignored and you were afraid that you might lose Danal's friendship if you tried again. You feared what would happen with your next attempt, but you are Enkidel, named in honor of the great wild-man Enkidu, you faced the hunger of the demon Asherah and lived! You could handle one spoiled brat!

And indeed you could. You stopped ASKING Danal to do things or not do things and started TELLING him so! Danal's reaction was swift. At first he was shocked you would TELL him to do anything but he swiftly obeyed. Danal's pranks decreased in number and in their cruelty.

You have been a good source of moral guidance to a socially isolated child who was going down a bad path. Unlike Basscop and certain river rainbow trout related events which has nothing to do with you or events at hand, you are a good person and you should feel good about yourself, you have done a good deed, well done.

Tudiya, whether or not he has acknowledged your positive influence on Danal, has since taken a greater interest in you and the slaves and servants in Tudiya's home seem to be slightly friendlier to you since you helped lessen the Danal-prank related terror in their lives.

Still, not everyone is nice to you, indeed, many people in the city are rude to you and children often giggle and point at the "cannibal" as you go by, however, your decision to start wearing a robe like everyone else in the city has done quite a bit to help lessen the scorn you receive when you walk around the city. You may be dark skinned and speak strangely and have different colored hair, but at least your genitals are no longer swinging in the literal breeze, as they did before.

Danal helped you get several different colored robes as well as a few belts. They are not the robes of the rich and powerful, but they are not the robes of a slave either, though some slaves of the rich do dress lavishly.

No one has yet to spell out to you your social standing and you do not know if you are a slave, servant or free. To the city, you are simply a member of Tudiya's household, but then again, so are his slaves, servants, donkeys and dogs.

When people are mean to you, you feel many different ways. Sometimes it makes you upset, sometimes you do not care, sometimes you try to fit in harder because of it and sometimes you do not. Danal has come to your defense in the city streets many times when you are called a cannibal.

It is widely believed in Zepath and presumably other cities that at the edge of civilization are cannibals. Your knowledge of the wider world is still hazy. You know Zepath is the southern most city of the cities of Ur and you know the names of a few others. You know Zepath was built by a descendant of Labaras who was an explorer and that Baitel is the oldest, largest and most holy city, far to the northeast, near Mount Har. Zepath is some distance to the sea, but the closest of the cities of Ur, apparently. The people of Zepath rarely go to the sea or make use of it. After all, the remote wilderness is filled with monsters and cannibals and only heroes, kings and Mighty Men dare explore far beyond settled lands.

Not that you could count that high, but the population of Zepath is measured in thousands, not tens of thousands, including outlying farms. The city walls are only about ten feet tall and not wide enough to easily stand upon, they are a barrier to beyond the city, nothing more.

Danal finds what he calls "King Stuff" incredibly boring but you do not. You generally tag along when Danal is forced to watch his father do "King Stuff". There is no "throne room" in Tudiya's large home and most matters of state take place on a platform near the market where Tudiya greeted his people when he returned to the city, or in the market itself. Tudiya takes a fancy chair and places it in an empty market stall and sits on it beneath an awning not at all unlike the one used for other market stalls, as if he was setting up his own shop. He might be between two fig sellers one day and beside a potter the next, there is no set location.

For a few hours every day Tudiya sits in the King's Chair and resolves the disputes of people in the city and deals with criminals. On occasion Ishamal does it on behalf of Tudiya, if the King is out of the city. Danal is bored to tears by this. You found it interesting and often went to watch Tudiya when Danal was not forced to go along. Once, Tudiya even asked you what you thought about an argument two fruit sellers had and Tudiya agreed with you!

You were in the streets more often than you were supposed to be. At first you snuck out with a sword, as Danal asked, climbing over the outer wall of Tudiya's estate with him, then ambled about the city as children were want to do. On one occasion a few months ago you, finished climbing over and helped Danal down and then turned around to and walked face first into eight and a half feet of heavily muscled King, who waited for you there, arms folded. As you began to stammer in shock, Tudiya laughed and told you to use the gate from now on, but to leave the sword behind, as it was more likely to do more harm than good in your hands.

Despite Keza complaining to him about your supposed flaws, mischief and misconduct at every opportunity, you seem to have made a good impression on Tudiya.

Danal now generally does what YOU want to do and follows YOU around, you seem to have become the dominant partner in this relationship, for now at least.

Danal, as the son of the King is apparently required to help keep the temple of El clean. Danal finds this very boring and you have helped him pass the time by telling him jokes as the two of you clean the altar, sweep the floor and take care of animals stored in the temple pens. Zebanetha, the High Priest of El in thr city is an old man and has always been friendly to you, even when you wore a loincloth. You do not know how old he is, but you know he is from Baitel and probably not a relative of Tudiya, at least not a close one anyway and certainly not one of his descendants.

You have learned that most people in the city are as old as they look, however some men, namely Tudiya and his family are much older than they look, but only the men and only a handful of them. You have learned that as they are descendants of the great hero, Labaras, they have long lives. You have also learned that Tudiya is well over a hundred and that he has outlived many of his grandchildren. He has had male grandchildren with apparent supernatural abilities, such as Aaron, who you traveled to Zepath with, but Aaron is the only one you are aware of. Danal is the only son of Tudiya you are aware of.

All of this you overheard or figured out over time, you never actually asked anyone as you feared it might be rude or perhaps you simply did not care?

Danal's eldest sister Rathal, an old woman, has spent many long hours trying to teach Danal to count and to read and you have been beside him for many of these lessons. Danal finds these lessons incredibly boring and he has little patience for them. He has learned to count and you too, have learned to count. Somewhat. In your time away from Danal, you have spent a great deal of time with Rathal, who seems to enjoy your company and is generally nice to you. Your ability to count has expanded from one to ten, lots, many-lots to one to a hundred. You still get a bit confused the closer you get to a hundred and you lack any useful mathematical skills beyond counting and very simple addition. After... an excessive amount of time, you have learned the symbols to write your name, even if you do not really understand them.

With your new found freedom to explore the city, you have had the opportunity to go to many interesting places and meet many interesting people!

You may be called names and giggled at by young children, mothers may pull children close and look at you oddly as you go by, but Shushem is dead and with the exception of a few youthful fights in the city, at least one of which you many have instigated, no one has hit you at all. You spend most of your time with Danal enjoying your youth and have few if any real responsibilities. You have plenty to eat, a warm bed to sleep in, a little brother in Danal, a beloved Snarls Barkley who has given you his undying doggy devotion, a great deal of love from your mother and some other friends we shall get to soon.

Some observers might even say you have a good and happy life and one much happier than the abuse you suffered at the hands of Shushem in your village of Athar.

You still do not know if you are a servant, slave or free, no one has spelled it out to you, you do not truly know. Slaves generally have jobs and labor to do and the only labor you have ever done is joining Danal in whatever tasks he has been given. If you had to do them at all has always been unclear, the adults in your life simply assume you join Danal in whatever he is doing.

1. How much do you care if you are a slave, or free? This is not asking what you will do now, but how you feel about the idea and what you are now considering doing, some day. If it turns out you are a slave and want to do something about that, that would be a later vote, this is just asking how you feel about the idea.

A. Danal is my best friend, my brother and will always be! Tudiya is kind to me and trusts me enough to take his young son into the city unsupervised. My life is good. I am content to be a slave, if I am because I know I will always have a good place here.

B. I do not care if I am a slave or free. I just do not think about it. Danal and Tudiya do not treat me as if I am a slave, so why would I ever think about it?

C. My life is good and I am happy, but I would prefer to not be a slave.

D. The idea I am a slave bothers me, if I am.

E. It REALLY bothers me if it turns out I am a slave! I want to be free!

F. If it turns out I am a slave, I WILL be free! I will run away to another city or even back to my village! Eventually...

G. If it turns out I am a slave, I WILL be free! I will ask Tudiya to free me.

H. If it turns out I am a slave, I WILL be free! I will do something spectacular and heroic to earn my freedom! When I will do this is unspecified, for now.

I. If it turns out I am a slave, I WILL be free! I will earn lots of money and buy my freedom!

J. If it turns out I am a slave, I WILL be free! There are some adults in my life who might help me, I will ask one one of them to buy my freedom.

K. If it turns out I am a slave, I WILL be free! I have paid REAL close attention to Tudiya as he sits on the King's Chair! I will make a legal argument to him that I am a free man under the law!

L. Sometimes the Temple of the Melachim buys slaves to go become monster slayers and heroes! I will ask them to buy me!

M. Something else. Fill in.

You were told that Tudiya would consult with his counsel on what to do with you and think about it. It has been a little over two years. No one has told you anything. Have they forgotten about it? Have they made a decision and for whatever reason, not told you yet? Could Tudiya still be thinking about it? Could asking effect the outcome, or does it not matter?

2. Do you want to ask anyone if you are a slave or free? If so, who?

A. No. Feel free to share your reason, but you certainly do not have to.

B. Yes. Tudiya.

C. Yes. Your mother.

D. Yes. Keza.

E. Yes. Ishamal.

F. Yes. Danal.

F. Yes. Zebanetha, the High Priest of El.

G. Yes. Bareen, the High Priestess of the Temple of the Melachim. They are friendly to slaves

H. Barkof.

I. Aaron.

J. Naomi, Danal's slightly older than you sister.

K. Yes. Rathal, Danal's old sister.

L. Yes. Snarls Barkley.

M. Yes. El. Pray for an answer.

N. Yes. A Melachim, aka a Sky Giant, pray for guidance, they help people in trouble!

O. Yes. Asherah. Pray.

P. Do your very best to try to mimic a divining ritual you saw Shushem do to find out. You have no idea how but you could try to puzzle it out. This is probably a complete waste of time.

Q. And if you really want to waste your time, look for wisdom in music! Try to divine an answer in the music of the magical flute! You have no particular reason to even suspect this might work and are probably an idiot if you think it would! You probably want to get drunk for the heck of it if you try this route, since that makes as much sense as thinking this would work at all.

R. Music and sea shell reading is not ridiculously foolish enough. I saw a fortune teller in the market try to tell the future in the way chicken entrails were spread out. I will try that!

S. No no! Not good enough! One step further! I will try to divine an answer from the placement and composition of Snarl Barkley's droppings and become an Ofalmancer in then process! The worry that I might be a slave has affected me so much I am probably becoming unhinged if I think this is a good idea. Keep sharp things away from me.

T. Try something else. Fill in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 5, 2013

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
K: Launch a legal claim against the the box cage slavery! Let's get all KoDP up in here.

S: Becoming an Ofalmancer seems like a good idea.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Reason our way to freedom!

Get it straight from mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I am really happy with our current path and development. :buddy:

1. H
2. A

Tudiya has shown to be wise, and if anyone could change our status it would be him. I am under the impression that we are not a slave, though. We don't get told to do anything and don't appear to have any restrictions. We could simply ask if we may travel freely and see the world.

How is our mother doing, or is the same as last time because this update was just the effects of our voting?

Have we made any progress on flute playing?