Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

EuphrosyneD posted:

Finished MSFT 70-685 with 700 points, the minimum passing score.

Was pretty drat sure I would fail.

I'm annoyed at Transcender for providing completely different prep material than what I actually encountered. Oh well, I now have my MCSA in Windows 7.

Tell me about it. Anyway in my ccna course now. We are using netacad which will include packet tracer. New ride new direction. Hope it turns out better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
VMware is adding a certification tier below VCP, for those of you who don't have access to the course this might be a good way to make inroads.

http://blogs.vmware.com/education/2013/08/stand-out-from-the-crowd-vca.html

Earning VMware Certified Associate (VCA) certification demonstrates your foundational understanding of virtualization technology. You'll be more confident when interacting with your customers, colleagues, and management and be better positioned to take advantage of career opportunities in an evolving IT industry. Get started today!

e: The exam blueprint for the VCAD makes it look pretty damned easy

Differentiate physical and virtual storage
Explain the use of shared storage in a vSphere implementation
Differentiate VMFS and NFS datastores
Explain Thin Provisioning
Differentiate VMware disaster recovery/disaster tolerance technologies
Identify capabilities of Storage I/O Control
Identify capabilities of Storage DRS
Explain VMware virtual storage technologies

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 27, 2013

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The A+ of virtualization. Adding it to the list!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If that's the syllabus it does make me wonder how seriously the new cert will be taken. I've never been a full-time "VMware and nothing else" admin and I feel like I could pass what Fruit Stripe posted with a weekend of cramming. It sounds like "read our marketing bullet points back to us".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think a VMware and nothing else admin role exists. It's always going to be a part of something else like Storage or Servers

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I think their description of it tells pretty much the whole story.

It seems like it's meant to make sure you understand virtualization as it applies to VMware at a high level, nothing more. It gives people a more approachable entry point into their certs, and when you're done with it you can probably have a discussion about virtualization and not sound like an idiot.

Sounds good for sales engineers and the like, as well.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

VMware is adding a certification tier below VCP, for those of you who don't have access to the course this might be a good way to make inroads.

Earning VMware Certified Associate (VCA) certification demonstrates your foundational understanding of virtualization technology. You'll be more confident when interacting with your customers, colleagues, and management and be better positioned to take advantage of career opportunities in an evolving IT industry. Get started today!

So they basically copied the VSTP and made it the VCA, great.... Oh well it should help some of my ICM students morale boost of find weak points.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Differentiate physical and virtual storage"

...seriously? How is that even an exam topic?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

QPZIL posted:

"Differentiate physical and virtual storage"

...seriously? How is that even an exam topic?

You would be suprised how hard it is for some of the older IT folk to grasp that idea.

Not to mention that RDM's are still used in specific cases.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

swampcow posted:

If you ever talk to a Redhat rep, try and drop CentOS somewhere in the conversation. When I did, the sales team emitted some primal hiss and began to speak at length about how CentOS is different than Redhat.

Anyway, to get on topic, I started reading about the RHCSA lately. I got the impression that it was easy as well. But I don't know anyone who's taken the test, so I don't know for sure.

I wouldn't call it easy as hell, but if you've got any experience actually being a Red Hat admin it's significantly easier than studying for most tests. You're given a box and a list of tasks to accomplish, it doesn't matter how you get it done so long as it does what they ask after a cold boot without user interaction. Couple that with man and info pages and people with a decent understanding of the OS and what needs doing could possibly fuddle their way through.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

You would be suprised how hard it is for some of the older IT folk to grasp that idea.

Not to mention that RDM's are still used in specific cases.

Reminds me of a scene from Zoolander.

"It's in the computer??"

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Good deal, looking into the workforce mobility one.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
I can say if you administer a VMware environment and are familiar with all the optional components of the vSphere suite and associated datacenter products you should have no problem passing the VCA-DCV.

There is also a 50% off code readily available if you know how to work a search engine.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

VMware should launch a technet-style option for learning.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

incoherent posted:

What do you mean?

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

They used to have something called the VMTN Subscription that was pretty much the same thing, but they killed it off inexplicably a few years back. There are occasional rumblings about it coming back, but who knows if that will ever happen.

Partners have access to rolling sets of 60-day keys to be used for customer demos, evals, and POCs. It's slightly annoying to replace keys every two months, but it's free. Never hurts to ask them to share.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got my CCNA and half of my Server 2012 MCSA in 2 months, and my manager sends out an email saying, "everybody be sure to tell QPZIL good job."

My coworker just got her A+ after a year of studying, and both our manager and the director of IT sent out email saying what an inspiration she was and how she's bettering the entire department and how we can all learn from her hard work and determination, and how it's a grand achievement.

:smithicide:

Whatever, I've scheduled my last MCSA exam, and I'm already studying for the CCDA (which seems pretty straightforward) and the JNCIA (which will take like a week tops) and the ROUTE portion of the CCNP. I'll show them determination and grand achievements :getin:

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

There are worse problems to have. You should be grateful that your management actually gives praise.

Not to sound bitter or anything.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

swampcow posted:

There are worse problems to have. You should be grateful that your management actually gives praise.

That's fair. My post was just venting about something minor after a long week of a bunch of other lovely stuff here, so I'm probably just a little oversensitive at the moment :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My workpace doesn't really care about certifications and none of my co-workers know I have any kind of certification at all. I don't want things to get weird. I'm not even telling my boss I'm taking the VCP class at a local community college this semester.

I'm ashamed of my certifications :smith:

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

skipdogg posted:

I'm ashamed of my certifications :smith:

Welcome to certifiers anonymous

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I guess I just see it in my head as "Oh Skip has his MCSE, lets throw all this poo poo in his lap since he's certified"

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

swampcow posted:

I've had to explain to my boss what CCNP Security, CCNA Security and CCNA Routing and Switching are. Also Security+.

I even made this stupid graph to explain them to him one time.

:(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Haydez posted:

I've had to explain to my boss what CCNP Security, CCNA Security and CCNA Routing and Switching are. Also Security+.

I even made this stupid graph to explain them to him one time.

:(

Mr. Haydez, I don't see Security+ anywhere on your graph... so is that more than a CCIE Wireless or does it rank just below CCNA Voice?
:manning:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
No guys, CISSP is the CCIE of security.

Duh. Now here's a memo with the new office policy banning thumb drives.

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard
Does anyone know a good site to buy/take practice exams for the Intermediate ITIL exams, specifically the service life cycle tiers?

EDIT: Calling the CISSP the CCIE of security is a stretch.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I hope the DCD is challenging anyone else studying for it?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

teejayh posted:

EDIT: Calling the CISSP the CCIE of security is a stretch.

That is the joke :ms:

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard

Docjowles posted:

I'm so stoooooooooooooooooooooooooopid

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Docjowles posted:

Hell it's not even the CCIE written of security but drat if some people don't think it is for some reason. Mostly because there are so many clueless people when it comes to security.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone here taken the VCAP-DCD?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 29, 2013

Barnsey
Apr 19, 2005
Any project managers in here? Any advice for certs after Prince2 ? Also any technical PMs out there who think technical certs are worth it? I've done my CCNA and a couple of MCP's (Support background) but I can't say they have served me that well within Project Management.

Barnsey fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 29, 2013

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone here taken the VCAP-DCD?

I've taken every revision of the vCAP-DCD exam. It's a collection of multiple choice, drag and drop and mock "visio" scenarios. You'll typically be given a set of requirements with a lot of mundane details that may have no basis in reality. It's up to you to answer the question within the scope of the requirements they give you.

They are testing your ability to follow direction, pay attention to details and align requirements to VMware solutions. I can't go into specifics but you may well be asked to design something that completely ignores best practices for instance.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Barnsey posted:

Any project managers in here? Any advice for certs after Prince2 ? Also any technical PMs out there who think technical certs are worth it? I've done my CCNA and a couple of MCP's (Support background) but I can't say they have served me that well within Project Management.

Have you looked into the PMP? I'm not that familiar with Prince2 but just looking at wikipedia it seems like it's pretty close. Might be worth looking into: pmi.org

As for technical certs I'm not sure either. I think more just being able to go between a technical group and stakeholder/management group and translate would serve you well. I'm a newbie PM though

Barnsey
Apr 19, 2005

smokmnky posted:

Have you looked into the PMP? I'm not that familiar with Prince2 but just looking at wikipedia it seems like it's pretty close. Might be worth looking into: pmi.org

As for technical certs I'm not sure either. I think more just being able to go between a technical group and stakeholder/management group and translate would serve you well. I'm a newbie PM though

Yea, heard about that but I work in UK government and it's based on Prince2 methodology so guess it makes sense to go down that route. I think I would be going over old ground if I was to go for the PMP.

I guess the next logical step for me is to look at MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) or some kind of business related management course. Ideally I want to be involved in more IT strategic decisions but it just feels like management have a hard on for the intense technical guys.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Woo. 70-465 down with a 906. Do I dare shoot for the 88-986 now?

Barnsey posted:

Also any technical PMs out there who think technical certs are worth it?

Speaking from the opposite end of it: I love a PM who is technical enough to follow along but ask clarifying questions when I get too detailed/miss the bigger picture, but it's horrible working with a PM who thinks he knows your technical stuff and tries to contradict/override you constantly.

What do you want to achieve with the technical certs? More employability? Camaraderie with you devs?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Tonight was the first meeting of my VCP class. I was really surprised by the demographics of it. Because the VCP requires the classroom component, I expected it to be 30 people like myself - relatively young, relatively eager. In actual fact, there were about 20 people who admitted to having no virtualization experience. They're apparently taking the class as a curiosity. In response to the question who works with vSphere on a daily basis, only me and one other guy said yes. Not what I was expecting at all.

keseph posted:

Woo. 70-465 down with a 906. Do I dare shoot for the 88-986 now?
I never stop being impressed by people who reach that level of anything. An MCSE in SQL Server, you play at a very high level.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Tonight was the first meeting of my VCP class. I was really surprised by the demographics of it. Because the VCP requires the classroom component, I expected it to be 30 people like myself - relatively young, relatively eager. In actual fact, there were about 20 people who admitted to having no virtualization experience. They're apparently taking the class as a curiosity. In response to the question who works with vSphere on a daily basis, only me and one other guy said yes. Not what I was expecting at all.

I have not done the class because I have not gotten around to it but several people on my team have, mostly as a check box so they can get the cert, and they have said similar things. They see lots of folks who have never used VMware and now more networking people that are trying to bone up on SDN.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Hi all-

I'm taking my CCNA next week, the -802 combined test. I've collected several sources of practice tests, and none of them have any cli simulation questions in them - it's all multiple choice or t/f. Is that accurate? Can anyone that's taken it recently confirm if there are any simulated "type in the commands to make this happen" questions. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah there generally are a bunch of IT directors or managers in the class to see what all the sales guys free lunches are for. It's kinda surprising how many people still have yet to go virtual.

It's actually part of the reason I got this job because my lab partner for IC and VCAP was the VP of my current company