Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Bringing this thread back to life with a question! :toot:

So after about four months of being too busy for dolls I stumbled upon a combination I've been looking for (MNF female body, Karsh head) for a good price. The problem? The body is on the pink side while the head is on the yellow side. Is it possible to blush them so they match better? Can I do it with pastels, or will I have to find someone to airbrush it? Or must I go one step beyond and dye the sucker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

Bringing this thread back to life with a question! :toot:

So after about four months of being too busy for dolls I stumbled upon a combination I've been looking for (MNF female body, Karsh head) for a good price. The problem? The body is on the pink side while the head is on the yellow side. Is it possible to blush them so they match better? Can I do it with pastels, or will I have to find someone to airbrush it? Or must I go one step beyond and dye the sucker?

It is possible to blush them, I recommend blushing the head to match the body because you touch it less and you'll be giving it a faceup anyway. You could also airbrush it or dye it, but you don't need to if you don't want to. Unless it's horribly different, then you might have to.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
As a reward for cleaning the gently caress out of a really gross basement at my job, I got to keep anything cool that I found! And what did I find but a full bag of brand new, untouched human hair wefts!!! I'm gonna try making my first non-yarn wig soon. My boy's a Yo-SD and has a pretty gross faceup with grey eyebrows, so this will be...interesting.

I also found a bag of braided mohair. Just locks of it, not on the hide. Has anyone ever made a wig with that?

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
This looks like a lot of fun so I am giving it a go! Got a Lagoona Blue on sale and I'm trying to make a maleficent out of her. Here is a not so great cell phone shot of what she looks like so far:

I was going to start drawing all the detail into her face tonight but have hit a bit of a roadblock. I mostly bought supplies on the cheap since this was my first project and I wasn't sure if I'd ever do it again, but that is starting to catch up with me. I'm not sure if it's my sealant or my watercolor pencils causing the issue, but the pencil pigment wont really stick to her face. You can see some faint lines in the pic of where her eyebrows should be and I only got those by really gouging the pencil down on there and scrubbing back and forth. What brand of pencils do you guys use that you are getting such nice results from? I think I'd like to try getting some of those before hassling with new sealant as a pencil or two should be cheaper to try out first. I may just go ahead and finish this one up using all acrylic paint but in the future it would be nice to get that pretty, dainty pencil work as that was what really drew me into trying this out in the first place.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I'm used to faceups done with chalk pastels, not pencils. I know of charcoal pencils, maybe there are chalk pencils?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've had great results out of Crayola watercolor pencils, and I'm trying to remember what the brand is for the white one I needed for another doll...

If you have an art supply store, you can probably ask, and also likely be able to buy single pencils, so you can just get the color you need instead of paying for a bunch that you'll never use.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've been out of the hobby for a while (despite still owning like six dolls) and I had forgotten how expensive everything was. It was all "this doll outfit is how much!?" and I'm like, wait, I've bought that stuff. Weird.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Pick posted:

I've been out of the hobby for a while (despite still owning like six dolls) and I had forgotten how expensive everything was. It was all "this doll outfit is how much!?" and I'm like, wait, I've bought that stuff. Weird.

Yeah. That's why my PukiPuki still doesn't have real clothes. Or a wig. Or why my 60cm Happydoll Dorothy still has the crappy self-done faceup and only one real outfit.

In my book, though, that Dorothy is still the best $700 I spent student loan money on, because my chances of getting one when I finally have real money would have been next to none...I don't think I've ever seen one up for sale secondhand, and HappyDoll is out of business.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Yeah, clothes are crazy-expensive. If you don't mind handmade I've found some nice outfits on Etsy, and it's not that hard at all to make little sock sweaters! :v:

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Pick posted:

Reasons I'm glad I sew. Thought I did splurge once for my Iplehouse Benny and bought her a bunch of clothes on sale. But then SHOES.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
The girl who made her doll a double amputee doesn't sound so crazy now that I know the horrors of looking for doll shoes. Kevin has one pair of regular black Converse, and I'm just gonna make everything he wears match those.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My Froggy Stuff does have shoe and sneaker instructions for those interested.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.

taiyoko posted:

I've had great results out of Crayola watercolor pencils, and I'm trying to remember what the brand is for the white one I needed for another doll...

If you have an art supply store, you can probably ask, and also likely be able to buy single pencils, so you can just get the color you need instead of paying for a bunch that you'll never use.

The white I use is from Derwent. I picked up a set of Derwent watercolor pencils on eBay for like $15 shipped since my local supplier didn't sell singles.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Hey all! I've disappeared for like a million years, but I'm super proud of the faceups I've done tonight and had to share. My Dollshe is still naked, but goddamn is he purdy!

And this MH CAM mummy belongs to sunsweet from this thread. :)

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
Is there a separate thread for playline dolls? I don't want to clog up this thread with posts about non-BJDs if there's a better place for it.

Update on boy MH shoes: Fashionista Ken shoes fit pretty much perfectly. GI Joe boots fit fine in the foot, but are very, very wide around the actual leg. I've tried slitting a pair down the back and rubberbanding them so that they overlap, but they don't stay that way very well. I may try boiling them to see if that helps.

I still want to find some cute lady shoes for them. I've been thinking about buying some 16" fashion doll (like Gene Tyler) shoes to see if they're wide enough (because they're certainly long enough), but I'm a little nervous about it.

I should probably just suck it up and learn to make them, really.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Those two faceups are gorgeous. I love the way you do shading.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

Is there a separate thread for playline dolls? I don't want to clog up this thread with posts about non-BJDs if there's a better place for it.

Update on boy MH shoes: Fashionista Ken shoes fit pretty much perfectly. GI Joe boots fit fine in the foot, but are very, very wide around the actual leg. I've tried slitting a pair down the back and rubberbanding them so that they overlap, but they don't stay that way very well. I may try boiling them to see if that helps.

I still want to find some cute lady shoes for them. I've been thinking about buying some 16" fashion doll (like Gene Tyler) shoes to see if they're wide enough (because they're certainly long enough), but I'm a little nervous about it.

I should probably just suck it up and learn to make them, really.

For the girls Winx shoes fit with a bit of squeezing from what I've seen!

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

moonsour posted:

For the girls Winx shoes fit with a bit of squeezing from what I've seen!

Oh, yeah, I have no trouble finding shoes for the girl dolls any more. My problem is with finding girl shoes for the boy dolls.

Like I said, I'll probably just have to make them myself.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

Oh, yeah, I have no trouble finding shoes for the girl dolls any more. My problem is with finding girl shoes for the boy dolls.

Like I said, I'll probably just have to make them myself.

If you do end up making some for yourself, I would love to buy a pair or two from you!

What about clothes? Like, have you tried at fitting girl clothes on the boy dolls at all?

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

sunsweet posted:

If you do end up making some for yourself, I would love to buy a pair or two from you!

What about clothes? Like, have you tried at fitting girl clothes on the boy dolls at all?

Oh, definitely! Barbie and Stardoll clothes fit wonderfully, so anything similarly sized should work. With Barbie pants you might want to take them in a little at the hip, since they're curvier than the dude body will support and it can look funny.
I hear that Bratz clothes fit, but I think they'd sit kind of low and you'd run into that issue where you sit the doll down and their butt jumps right through the velcro.
I also imagine that Bratzillaz or Ever After High clothes would fit decently, since they're a bit thicker than MH girls. I haven't tried, though. When I do, I'll report back.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

Oh, definitely! Barbie and Stardoll clothes fit wonderfully, so anything similarly sized should work. With Barbie pants you might want to take them in a little at the hip, since they're curvier than the dude body will support and it can look funny.
I hear that Bratz clothes fit, but I think they'd sit kind of low and you'd run into that issue where you sit the doll down and their butt jumps right through the velcro.
I also imagine that Bratzillaz or Ever After High clothes would fit decently, since they're a bit thicker than MH girls. I haven't tried, though. When I do, I'll report back.

Awesome! I can tell you that newer, wider Bratz tops will usually stretch to fit and that some of the pants actually fit really nicely. They certainly fit the guy dolls better than the girls. I'll have to take a few photos to show off. The Bratz boy tops and jackets are a bit too big for them, from what I've noticed.

I'm definitely looking forward to finding out what other girl clothes will fit them. Today I got a box of wigs and a dress in the mail, and I imagine I'll have a lot of fun with those whenever I can get around to photographing.

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

sunsweet posted:

Awesome! I can tell you that newer, wider Bratz tops will usually stretch to fit and that some of the pants actually fit really nicely. They certainly fit the guy dolls better than the girls. I'll have to take a few photos to show off. The Bratz boy tops and jackets are a bit too big for them, from what I've noticed.

I'm definitely looking forward to finding out what other girl clothes will fit them. Today I got a box of wigs and a dress in the mail, and I imagine I'll have a lot of fun with those whenever I can get around to photographing.

Bratzillaz report so far: bottoms fit perfectly; tops with two sleeves will not close, but tops with one or no sleeves will.

Newer Bratz does seem pretty different - the quality seems significantly better, and did they change the body mold or something? I have a couple of Boutique playsets and I wasn't expecting much from them, but they were surprisingly good! :D

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

Bratzillaz report so far: bottoms fit perfectly; tops with two sleeves will not close, but tops with one or no sleeves will.

Newer Bratz does seem pretty different - the quality seems significantly better, and did they change the body mold or something? I have a couple of Boutique playsets and I wasn't expecting much from them, but they were surprisingly good! :D

The newer Bratz dolls have way different bodies, much less stylised than the old ones are. I'm not really sure when they changed the bodies, but I'm fairly sure it was within the past 18 months. The one Bratz tops barely fit the girl MH dolls, and now they fit the guys, as you've noticed.

That's good to hear about Bratzillaz dolls; I've seen them on clearance a lot recently. Might have to get a swimsuit or something from one of their weird glow-in-the-dark budget dolls.

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
Also, and I forgot to mention this in any of the previous posts, but Re-ment clothes fit the dudes pretty well, if you're willing to overlap the Velcro on the bottoms generously (or move it a bit).

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Ever After High clothes should fit perfectly. Shoes *definitely* fit, and the EAH bodies in general look like a nixed MH prototype that they made into a new line. The waist is a little thicker, but I've seen MH clothes on EAH bodies and vis versa.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Has anyone ever ordered clothes from Freedom Teller? My Kamau needs to not look like a streaker.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Pick posted:

Has anyone ever ordered clothes from Freedom Teller? My Kamau needs to not look like a streaker.

I haven't bought from the Freedom Teller website itself, but I bought plenty of FT clothes through Iplehouse back in the day; their stuff is high quality and generally just... worth having.

I will say that their SD13 clothes are generously cut to fit a wide range of ~60cm dolls, and thus tend to be baggy on slimmer dolls. However, their EID and SID stuff is cut specifically for the Iplehouse dolls, and the fit should be good.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Anybody know where I can find cute clothes for my 60cm Happydoll girl? I've had a bit of luck with a Dollmore Model F dress, but most of what they have on offer is too mature a look for my girl. I want more cutesy, EGL-ish style and finding things that fit her boobs is such a pain.

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
Hate to bump an old thread, but I wanted to know if anyone here makes clothes for the Bratzillaz dolls? I honestly have no talent for sewing, and would be interested in perhaps commissioning a couple of outfits for the doll that I have. Or would Monster High clothes fit her?

I can't afford a lot, but I just want my doll to have something more to wear than the clothes it came in, I want to pose her and take pretty pictures!

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

QueenOfMistakes posted:

Hate to bump an old thread, but I wanted to know if anyone here makes clothes for the Bratzillaz dolls? I honestly have no talent for sewing, and would be interested in perhaps commissioning a couple of outfits for the doll that I have. Or would Monster High clothes fit her?

I can't afford a lot, but I just want my doll to have something more to wear than the clothes it came in, I want to pose her and take pretty pictures!

Monster High girl clothes are generally too small for the Bratzillas bodies -- MH torsos are longer and thinner. Some MH girl pieces stretch onto MH boys, so I'd imagine that they'd stretch onto Bratzillaz as well. Skirts that velcro all the way open (Scaris Draculaura's skirt), or that stretch over the doll without any sort of closures (Dead Tired Clawdeen's shorts, Create-a-Monster Werewolf's dress) are your best bets.

I did a little looking, and Winx Club skirts should fit. I think regular Bratz dolls nowadays have the same sort of body that the Bratzillaz have, but I don't have one that I could look at right now.

I know you didn't ask about shoes, but I read that Bratzillaz feet a bit too big for MH shoes, even though MH dolls can wear Bratzillaz shoes.

By the way, which Bratzillaz doll did you end up getting?

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.

sunsweet posted:

Monster High girl clothes are generally too small for the Bratzillas bodies -- MH torsos are longer and thinner. Some MH girl pieces stretch onto MH boys, so I'd imagine that they'd stretch onto Bratzillaz as well. Skirts that velcro all the way open (Scaris Draculaura's skirt), or that stretch over the doll without any sort of closures (Dead Tired Clawdeen's shorts, Create-a-Monster Werewolf's dress) are your best bets.

I did a little looking, and Winx Club skirts should fit. I think regular Bratz dolls nowadays have the same sort of body that the Bratzillaz have, but I don't have one that I could look at right now.

I know you didn't ask about shoes, but I read that Bratzillaz feet a bit too big for MH shoes, even though MH dolls can wear Bratzillaz shoes.

By the way, which Bratzillaz doll did you end up getting?

Thanks, that's really helpful!

I ended up getting Meygana Broomstix, she was being sold in a charity shop with her original clothes and Jade J'Adore's dress and boots in a bag. Thought she was cute and got a decent bargain, I think I paid about £3 for her.

I used to collect the old Bratz dolls but lost most of them in a move last year, the only one I still have is a Jade.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Not quite on-topic question maybe-ish-I'm not sure:

I looked over this thread and got really inspired by the mods linked, and I've been working on converting a cheapass plastic doll, just playing about. I'm getting towards finished, and I'm looking towards painting it. Can anyone give advice (or tell me where to find a tutorial) on how to prime the finished thing, get it into a state where I can start on the faceup, and ideally get a surface that I can remove the faceup from if needed? It'll be my first attempt at a faceup, so I think it'll need a few attempts.

Current plan is to prime it with spray, basecoat the metal/dark areas in black, then apply a couple coats of matte laquer before starting. I have no idea if that'll work at all, I've not done anything like this, so please tell me if that's a horrible idea!

From a couple of days ago, it's a bit more advanced now. (Sorry about the lovely quality!)

He's so happy about it!

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
Hi thread! I hope this isn't considered bumping an old thread for nothing :ohdear:

In the past I used to like making clothes for Barbie dolls. Now, years later, I found out about BJD's. I'd love to get back into making doll clothes again, but I don't have that much interest in the actual dolls and I don't want to end up with boxes full of doll clothing. I do love seeing what other people do with them (the sane ones anyway), but I don't think it's for me. I just want to design and make doll clothes.

From looking around the internet I get the feeling there is a bit of a market for well-made clothes for dolls. How exactly would one get into that? Since I don't really have an interest in the dolls themselves I was thinking of maybe starting out with a relatively cheap Monster High doll to get things going. Would clothes in this size sell or should I start out with other sizes? And how do I do that without having to buy an expensive doll? I'm not exactly looking to make lots of money, but I would like to sell most of the things I make so I don't have to choose between storing them forever or throwing them out.

Or am I way off and should I resign myself to making pretty things and then keeping them in the attic forever?

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

Decent and fashionable clothes for the boy Monster High dolls are relatively hard to come by, so that might not be a bad place to start. Most of them come wearing cargo shorts and tank tops, so different pieces would probably be nice. The girl dolls are also wildly popular, of course, but more people tend to make more clothing for them.

As for patterns, Google Image Search turns up some free ones that you can try out just to get the basic sizing and proportions. MH dolls have long legs, shorter torsos, and a very curved spine. One nice thing is that you can make clothing with tight sleeves, since the forearms/hands are made to pop off easily.

Here's a pattern for sheath dress for a girl doll: http://shannaniganart.blogspot.com/2011/11/ok-i-lied.html

If you want to get your own doll to make patterns off of, there are some budget lines, like Dead Tired, Skull Shores, and Music Festival. Dead Tired Abbey is $6.99 on Amazon right now, and of course eBay has dolls (sometimes headless) on the cheap.

sunsweet fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 21, 2013

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
You could also hop on Den of Angels and ask people to make tape dress forms of their dolls. That's also a good market to sell in, as there are a lot of buyers.

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.

Purple Prophecy posted:

Hi thread! I hope this isn't considered bumping an old thread for nothing :ohdear:

In the past I used to like making clothes for Barbie dolls. Now, years later, I found out about BJD's. I'd love to get back into making doll clothes again, but I don't have that much interest in the actual dolls and I don't want to end up with boxes full of doll clothing. I do love seeing what other people do with them (the sane ones anyway), but I don't think it's for me. I just want to design and make doll clothes.

From looking around the internet I get the feeling there is a bit of a market for well-made clothes for dolls. How exactly would one get into that? Since I don't really have an interest in the dolls themselves I was thinking of maybe starting out with a relatively cheap Monster High doll to get things going. Would clothes in this size sell or should I start out with other sizes? And how do I do that without having to buy an expensive doll? I'm not exactly looking to make lots of money, but I would like to sell most of the things I make so I don't have to choose between storing them forever or throwing them out.

Or am I way off and should I resign myself to making pretty things and then keeping them in the attic forever?

I would totally, utterly love it if you were to make clothes for the Bratzillaz dolls. I can't find ANY on etsy, and I'd love to have some new dresses for mine. Mostly I'm after a Hatsune Miku outfit, but casual stuff would be fantastic too.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Purple Prophecy posted:

If you buy the MH dolls without accessories, they come pretty cheap. Walmart here (upstate NY) has Scaris, Music Festival and Dance Class dolls for $9. And like sunsweet said, you can get dolls on ebay really cheap. A couple of weeks ago I saw a set of 4-5 doll bodies missing heads and various parts for only $7. The MH (female) dolls have the same proportions and sizes, so you could just frankendoll them together if all you need them for is the fit. :)

content:
Speaking of MH, I'll show my first custom doll.
It's Draculaura (Scaris). I sanded down her textured undies and seams, and blushed the head and body. Painted on a new face and made her a fur wig and a simple dress.

And here's a closeup and the manicure and pedicure

And here is the body (the blushing isn't showing that well in that lighting but you can see the sanding. :nws: for doll nipples
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/GKBaf3f.jpg

Funosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 23, 2013

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe
I have a friend who makes high-end clothes for BJDs. I know that she does commissions, and I also know that she is having financial hard times. She does beautiful work.

http://www.blackhillsdolldesigns.com/

I wonder if she could be persuaded to take on a few jobs that some of you might need done. I can vouch for the quality of her work, and I have seen some of the costumes she has done for regular sized (human) models. Just throwing it out there.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I caved and ordered an MSD because Mystic Kids was having an event. I've always kind of wanted one of those weird event dolls, so with my MSD Francis sculpt I'll be getting a weird rabbit blob thing. Photos will arrive when the dolls do.

In the meantime, I take weird photos of the dolls I have now. This set features my other odd obsession - erasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berryblood
Sep 12, 2009

Joining in with a picture of my used MSD that I'm pretty sure had horrible things done to her. My husband got her body sans head for around $100. I grabbed a head, wig and chest replacement and some eyes. I'm terrified of attempting the face up, but this is what practice heads are for. I just killed (maybe?) and $5 Obitsu head my husband got with pastel practice.

Working on making her into Volaloid Haku.

My phone is fighting the fact that I want some newer pictures in her nice kimono. Also pictures of what looks like carved up hands at the wrists. I'm fairly certain that's what happened. So many things to fix.

Also, who's doing DoA invites? I would very much like one for berryblood20 at hotmail.
edit: Mwahaha! Finally got my lovely cell phone pictures. I really need to get a new camera. Anyway, pretty long sleeve kimono:

And her hands. I'm almost thinking the person that took her to Manadrake used the wrong sized hands. It's kind of bad.

Berryblood fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 15, 2013

• Locked thread