Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
You know the US sports media is bad when you're cheering for a Fox channel over, well, anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like NBCSN because they give full coverage to cool niche sports like yachting, and mid-tier GT/touring car racing from Mid-Ohio, and Indycars, and they clearly try, no matter how unpopular what they're showing is, to put on a good show, and a nice presentation. I don't even know what sports FS1 is actually showing right now, except maybe the NASCAR trucks, and that's just a holdover from Speed.

Also, their (NBCSN) soccer/F1 coverage is legitimately great.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't even know what sports FS1 is actually showing right now, except maybe the NASCAR trucks, and that's just a holdover from Speed.
They have some really big college football games this year, so I assume that's what they're banking on drawing people to the channel. Right now, it's mostly whatever is left of their racing and soccer rights(they still have the Champion's League). I think they get a UFC event every so often, as that is what they opened with.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FOX gets the World Cup in 2018. God help us if Gus Johnson is still as bad at soccer as he is in 2013.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Wolfy posted:

They have some really big college football games this year, so I assume that's what they're banking on drawing people to the channel. Right now, it's mostly whatever is left of their racing and soccer rights(they still have the Champion's League). I think they get a UFC event every so often, as that is what they opened with.

I would think their big draw right now is UFC programming. They got 1.7 million to watch a card opening night. Next year they split the baseball regular season rights with regular Fox (and will also probably air some playoff games). And starting in 2015 they get the rights to golf's US Open. There's something Gus can do

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Vertical Lime posted:

Next year they split the baseball regular season rights with regular Fox (and will also probably air some playoff games). And starting in 2015 they get the rights to golf's US Open. There's something Gus can do

Have they specified yet how many games are going to FS1 and how many are going to be on Fox? Is FS1 getting just the Saturday games or do they get any weekday games?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

FOX gets the World Cup in 2018. God help us if Gus Johnson is still as bad at soccer as he is in 2013.

Ugh he's awful. It's like they just said "OK Gus, now a team is a side, the field is the pitch, and you always say nil instead of zero. You're on, we're live!"

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ugh he's awful. It's like they just said "OK Gus, now a team is a side, the field is the pitch, and you always say nil instead of zero. You're on, we're live!"

That's why people hate him? Well now Gus Johnson as a soccer announcer rules.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Groucho Marxist posted:

That's why people hate him? Well now Gus Johnson as a soccer announcer rules.

I mute the television every time Gus Johnson commentates on a Champions League game because he is so utterly poo poo at it. I get that it's his thing to raise his voice at every single thing but his style of commentating doesn't work for football at all.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Either that or he's quiet for long stretches because he doesn't know what's going on

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

oh em gee bee ess posted:

I mute the television every time Gus Johnson commentates on a Champions League game because he is so utterly poo poo at it. I get that it's his thing to raise his voice at every single thing but his style of commentating doesn't work for football at all.

No, it's actually really awesome for football, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTV-uUkXTbw

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

MourningView posted:

No, it's actually really awesome for football, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTV-uUkXTbw

So if I wanted to be a fantastic commentator all I need to do is orgasm every time an exciting thing happens? For moments like that it is warranted, it was an amazing catch and an improbable circumstance but having the same loving reaction to what should be regarded as a relatively mundane thing gets annoying.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A hail mary is not a mundane thing at all, I'm not sure you actually watched that video!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I think he means Gus Johnson uses that same excited tone of voice for everything happening on the field, not just ridiculous Hail Marys and such (or whatever the soccer equivalent would be).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Generally speaking I feel like he gets excited mostly for exciting things. Sports are very exciting!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

MourningView posted:

As an interesting (maybe) aside, Mike Sims-Walker just signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL.

Apparently that is all this nation gets in exchange for Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Gus Johnson is pretty rad, and has been modulating his tone for a lot of years broadcasting a variety of sports.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

MourningView posted:

Generally speaking I feel like he gets excited mostly for exciting things. Sports are very exciting!

He also has some superpower where the craziest poo poo always happens to the games he calls.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Groucho Marxist posted:

He also has some superpower where the craziest poo poo always happens to the games he calls.

You plebeians and your sports where things happen.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Gus Johnson has also been very honest in admitting that he knew zilch about soccer going into the gig and that Fox Sports President Eric Shanks thrust the job upon him with the expectation he'd learn how to call games pretty much on the fly.

You can poo poo on the guy all you want but he's certainly working hard to try and figure things out.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Gus Johnson is the anti-Joe Buck and should call everything (except boxing he's really bad at that)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MMQB has a good breakdown of all the NFL pregame shows this year

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/29/2013-nfl-season-tv/

tl;dr don't watch the NFL pregame shows.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Gus Johnson owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74BG0YFKUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEIeD91vIc

And of course "My name's Al Harrington and I get buckets".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWDJdcAbX4

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I hope the trend of adding more and more dumbasses to yell about football continues and by this time in 10 years, pregame shows have approximately 57 people sitting at the desk.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

haljordan posted:

I hope the trend of adding more and more dumbasses to yell about football continues and by this time in 10 years, pregame shows have approximately 57 people sitting at the desk.

We're getting there!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

To liven things up, there should be only one microphone and the hosts have to engage in hand-to-hand combat for the right to speak into it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

Fox Sports Live is really enjoyable so far, although I have to wonder if the panel segments are going to become untenable since one has to wait sometimes up to 7-9 minutes to see highlights. If they decide that's the case, it's hardly going to be worth paying Andy Roddick the money to sit and chime in once an hour. However, the highlights ARE far superior to SportsCenter. They show everything, whether it be horse racing, UFC, La Liga matches - they even had a goddamned KHL (Russia's NHL run by criminals) fight highlight.

I'm actually digging the panel, and I'm not normally someone who likes that stuff. The other day they were talking about Jeter and retirement and it was actually a fascinating segment. Instead of a bunch of screaming hyperbole, they all gave their personal experiences and were thoroughly honest about it. I thought Roddick's examples of how he couldn't recover as fast as he used to was insightful.

Still not a show I'd go out of my way to see, but I'm finding myself tuning in at night when nothing is on and I'm cleaning up the house or catching up on work.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

The article: "Expect to see more of Trent Dilfer this season."

'That's cool I really want to see more of Trent Dilfer' - no one on Earth

I'm not surprised that Randy Moss will show up on FOX NFL Sunday because it seemed like that was always the plan but they just have to wait for someone else to step out first.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 29, 2013

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrlqL2vmGA

I feel like I really need to start watching Keith Olbermann's show now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Benne posted:

Then what do we do on Sunday from when we wake up to 1pm ET?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Josh Lyman posted:

Then what do we do on Sunday from when we wake up to 1pm ET?

Sleep later.

Don't watch NFL pregame shows and you'll have a better life. Maybe read Mike Tanier's preview 2-3 times instead.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

NFL Pregame shows are still a bunch of guys just sitting around laughing? Didn't Robert Smigel or someone like him do a cartoon parodying all of those pregame shows and it was literally just them laughing the entire time? I haven't watched one of those programs in years and I've been out of the country for almost 5 years

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

NFL pregame shows are only good when the hosts get pissed at each other over some stupid joke. On-air tension is the only redeeming factor.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Akileese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrlqL2vmGA

I feel like I really need to start watching Keith Olbermann's show now.
It's basically the same format he had for Countdown--complete with Worst Person in the (Sports) World--but without the countdown format. It's so much more watchable (and I generally agreed with Olbermann's MSNBC rants). Tennis is throwing the broadcast schedule off though; usually the live broadcast is at 11 with a rebroadcast immediately afterward, but the last couple nights it's been shuffled over to ESPNNews. My DVR is turning into Olbermann Roulette, trying to figure out which of the five recordings labeled "Olbermann" is actually Keith :v:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

NFL Pregame shows are still a bunch of guys just sitting around laughing? Didn't Robert Smigel or someone like him do a cartoon parodying all of those pregame shows and it was literally just them laughing the entire time? I haven't watched one of those programs in years and I've been out of the country for almost 5 years

Generally their idea of fixing it has been to add even more people to talk over each other. Football on the west coast kinda sucks, but at least that dumb poo poo is mostly over by the time I wake up.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

Generally their idea of fixing it has been to add even more people to talk over each other. Football on the west coast kinda sucks, but at least that dumb poo poo is mostly over by the time I wake up.

I wish I could still sleep until noon but I'm awake by 7am, even on weekends, so maybe I just need to move to the Best Coast to escape the awfulness.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think the "NFL Today" had a drat good formula going on.

1 anchor who seemed very knowledgeable about the game.
1 former athlete
1 reporter
1 (racist) gambling guy

I don't need to hear Shannon Sharpe (the worst) on my TV, nor Ray Lewis. Keep the thing simple.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Gus Johnson owns, gently caress da haters

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Fox Sports Southwest hired Craig James

Burn Fox to the loving ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The NFL shows don't seem to hit this one, but the college does: why should I care what Washed Up Coach or Washed Up Player that Couldn't Hack It in the NFL thinks? Haven't the demonstrated that they are objectively bad at football?