Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JosephWongKS posted:

If it's run in a shoujo magazine, this means that the story will involve a love / romance element. Given that this is set in the world of Shingeki no Kyojin, I surmise that Levi's backstory is that he used to have a boyfriend or girlfriend who ended up being eaten by a Titan.

Wasn't Levi a thief before he was recruited into the corp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JosephWongKS posted:

If it's run in a shoujo magazine, this means that the story will involve a love / romance element. Given that this is set in the world of Shingeki no Kyojin, I surmise that Levi's backstory is that he used to have a boyfriend or girlfriend who ended up being eaten by a Titan.

If there was one type of magazine that I would expect to see Attack on Titan in it would definitely be a Shoujo magazine.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If you live in the SnK world, chances are than 50% or more of the people you knew have been devoured by a Titan, so this is like predicting the next tide or sunrise.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I bet Hajime Isayama is just rolling with all of these spinoffs and other stuff and thinks it's all completely hilarious.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not reading a school comedy. gently caress that garbage.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would read the poo poo out of it if Isayama was involved. Any kind of fanservice he touches turns to gold :swoon:

coathat
May 21, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That ones been going on for a while. http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=76129

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
From the anime thread (bolding is mine):

socialsecurity posted:

Eren wants to kill all of the titans, there are no moral qualms about that. They are literally a army of mindless super giants out to eat every last human and have almost succeeded.

I'd love to see his reaction if we get to the appearance of Monkey-Titan before the end of Season 1 of the anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

From the anime thread (bolding is mine):

I'd love to see his reaction if we get to the appearance of Monkey-Titan before the end of Season 1 of the anime.

There's also the way it's being strongly hinted at that feral Titans are ordinary people transformed into flesh-hungry monsters whilst remaining dimly aware of all the horrible poo poo the meat-mecha they're riding in is doing. Not only that, but going feral appears to be curable somehow. That adds a much more complex moral element to Eren's "MURDER ALL TITANS" schtick.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Darth Walrus posted:

There's also the way it's being strongly hinted at that feral Titans are ordinary people transformed into flesh-hungry monsters whilst remaining dimly aware of all the horrible poo poo the meat-mecha they're riding in is doing. Not only that, but going feral appears to be curable somehow. That adds a much more complex moral element to Eren's "MURDER ALL TITANS" schtick.

This doesn't strike me as that kind of manga. So far, only one human-titan was even remotely mentally stable and she had to eat a dude, who was most likely a human-titan already, to regain consciousness some undetermined amount of time later. Even if they could cure titanitis, they most likely wouldn't if it meant creating a potential human-titan and still sleep soundly at night. The fact that the humanoid thing trying to bite you in half was at some point in time human is going to be a moral footnote at best. Hell, it might instill an even greater fervor in Eren and the Genocide Corps, knowing that any titan out there might be capable to turning people into more titans.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

This doesn't strike me as that kind of manga. So far, only one human-titan was even remotely mentally stable and she had to eat a dude, who was most likely a human-titan already, to regain consciousness some undetermined amount of time later.

We still don't know those two events are connected - at least, in that way. All Berik's death tells us is that Ymir hit the Titan village either before or around the time she regained her humanity. Honestly, this 'you have to eat a human-Titan to be cured' stuff really is reminding me of that weird 'you have to be eaten by a Titan to transform into one' stuff. It has far too many holes, and I doubt it has much more grounding to it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

We still don't know those two events are connected - at least, in that way. All Berik's death tells us is that Ymir hit the Titan village either before or around the time she regained her humanity. Honestly, this 'you have to eat a human-Titan to be cured' stuff really is reminding me of that weird 'you have to be eaten by a Titan to transform into one' stuff. It has far too many holes, and I doubt it has much more grounding to it.

I dont know why but I got the impression that Ymir ate Berik shortly before human titans started infiltrating the walls. i.e shortly before the stiry began.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The monkey titan is the king or someone close to him. He doesn't know about the 3DMG because he's just that isolated and corrupt (remember the Military Police required special permission to use the 3DMG inside the capital, I bet a lot of aristocrats have never seen it before)

The walls are the titan equivalent of discovering agriculture instead of hunter-gathering :gonk:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Elotana posted:

The monkey titan is the king or someone close to him. He doesn't know about the 3DMG because he's just that isolated and corrupt (remember the Military Police required special permission to use the 3DMG inside the capital, I bet a lot of aristocrats have never seen it before)

The walls are the titan equivalent of discovering agriculture instead of hunter-gathering :gonk:

I think it would go beyond isolated and straight into retarded for a human to question whether another human from the same place as he is spoke the same language.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

I think it would go beyond isolated and straight into retarded for a human to question whether another human from the same place as he is spoke the same language.

Maybe the monkey titan is just that hilariously inbred - isolated noble castes are known for that. Inbreeding would also explain his physical deformities.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
It wasn't a serious theory. Honestly I'll be very impressed if Isayama reveals him without it feeling like an rear end-pull in some way, but he pulled it off for the other Titans too.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Monkey titan is Son Wukong, and Attack on Titan is just another version of Journey to the West.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Monkey titan is Son Wukong, and Attack on Titan is just another version of Journey to the West.

Holy poo poo, does that mean that all the other Titans are extensions of his body through the hair-cloning spell?

Also, a giant pig Titan would be loving terrifying.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Elotana posted:

The monkey titan is the king or someone close to him.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Monkey titan is Son Wukong,
Monkey titan is the Prince of all Saiyans

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jackard posted:

They'll have to blow up the moon.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Jackard posted:

But who is Goku

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Who's most likely to have a great amount of unexplained power who will have an unknown until now family member show up and tell them everything about their past?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I don't know. It'd have to be someone who stood up to fight them, got "killed" and then stronger than ever and turned out to be a Saiyan.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

He'd be a 15m class titan, 20 if you count the hair.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BizarroAzrael posted:

They'll have to blow up the moon.
Twice, if I recall the anime correctly.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I can't seem to find any production photos of the live action film. Have they even started filming it yet?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MustelaFuro posted:

I can't seem to find any production photos of the live action film. Have they even started filming it yet?
Stalled due to disputes over script and who will be the director.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Before the fall's Prologue is up, and 4-chan is 50/50 making GBS threads on it/liking it.

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan_btf/0/2034/1

I kinda like the art style, but it kinda reminds me of an old White Wolf artist I hated. I'd want to see more titans before I judge though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AxeBreaker posted:

Before the fall's Prologue is up, and 4-chan is 50/50 making GBS threads on it/liking it.

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan_btf/0/2034/1

I kinda like the art style, but it kinda reminds me of an old White Wolf artist I hated. I'd want to see more titans before I judge though.

Ive been out of date with this thread, can someone explain to me what is this thing?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

It's a new, prequel (set 70 years earlier) spin-off manga based on a series of light novels that has already been released. It's got a different writer and artist from the main series.

It'll probably be several months before I can decide if I really like it or not, because it's monthly like the original.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Their city seems to have a different style of architecture. I wonder if this was intentional or not. Maybe the prequel takes place in a previously unseen section of the kingdom, maybe the dude just wasn't paying attention.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 30, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MustelaFuro posted:

Hate to break it to you, but 90% of live action movies based on anime get stuck in development hell and never see the light of day. The few that make it through are usually terrible.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

RatHat posted:

Hate to break it to you, but 90% of live action movies based on anime get stuck in development hell and never see the light of day. The few that make it through are usually terrible.

Still waiting on Cowboy Bebop and Eva.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I can't seem to find it, but I could've swore somewhere in the manga it was said that "Ymir stole their (Bert and Reiner's tribe's) secrets", and since that event is the only one in which we know Ymir interacted with their tribe I think that's where the theory comes that they somehow get the ability to transform back by eating human-titans. Also Ymir suggests that she thinks that Bert and Reiner's people want to eat her, which again implies that somehow powers are transferred by being eaten.

Also, notice how more than anything titans care about eating the human-titans? Like they'll drop everything and start sprinting and go try to eat a human-titan if they hear the sound of it in distress. A theory is that titans pretty much all just want to eat a human-titan so they can go back to being human, either consciously or sub-consciously, which is why they go around eating humans constantly (on the off chance that it's actually a human-titan).

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

RatHat posted:

Hentai Kamen owned though so there's always the stray great one

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Live action Eva may have slim chance of getting resurrected now, with the success of pacific rim. IIRC it actually got to the pre-production phase in late 2008/early 2009. They had a script, sponsors and where going to announce a director and everything. But then it fell back into development hell when ADV collapsed.

I don't think that SnK would really work in live action though. The 3D gear presents a massive challenge to the special effects team to make it work without massively straining on my suspension of disbelief. I'm willing to give it a pass in the comic/show because cartoon physics, but live action (outside of specific circumstance) operates on different rules. Maybe I just haven't seen enough over the top action movies to have a concept of how something like this might be done :shrug:.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
SnK's human movement is basically Spiderman so there's already a precedent set for live action 3d movement at least.

Pacific Rim sets the standard for Titan combat. :black101:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Spiderman and Pacific Rim also cost $200m+ a pop. I will generously estimate the odds of Attack on Titan getting a nine-figure budget at 'infinitesimally above zero'.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

AxeBreaker posted:

It's a new, prequel (set 70 years earlier) spin-off manga based on a series of light novels that has already been released. It's got a different writer and artist from the main series.

It'll probably be several months before I can decide if I really like it or not, because it's monthly like the original.

Does anyone know if this story is canon? I doubt it but you never know if it might provide some hints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Does anyone know if this story is canon? I doubt it but you never know if it might provide some hints.

Since its not written by Isayama, you're probably better off assuming not canon unless told otherwise. Considering the "unknown past event" as the setting, I'm guessing it'll end up as something that can be in canon but doesn't have any major canonical effects.