Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
1: B: We don't really care, because it doesn't really come up in our thoughts, or make a whole lot of sense to us. We've got more or less exactly what we want here, so even if we've come up against the idea of slaves by seeing other people in society, I don't think we'd really draw the connection. The big thing, to me, however is that the idea of a slave wouldn't seem particularly foreign to us: how would our position as a 'slave' differ from what we grew up knowing, as basically a slave to Asherah? The idea that there are big, powerful beings, mortal and divine, that tell us what to do is just a part of life. Being free, being a slave, what's the difference? If we did eventually end up in a situation where we were being treated like property and told to do something we hated, I imagine we'd just give it the old 'screw that' and take off, just like we always did with Dad.

So yeah, unless we actually get forced to comply by soldiers or something when we dare to disobey, I just don't see it coming up.

2: A: Same reasons as above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am debating between being a noble slave, Protector of the Heir and being a noble 'savage' for whom freedom is like air. For the 'noble slave' option i think we will need to get a lot more educated and able, though we are not lacking in will or courage it seems. Would it be possible to get an answer about our status first? I like being the noble slave that wins freedom over time I guess.

For info:
F Z the high priest. I feel he might give us a balanced perspective. I would also like to ask a couple of people to get a filled out view. Beyond Z I might want to ask the question 'how do you tell if someone is a slave?' In antiquity being a slave was considered a matter of destiny, though this may not be like that. If it is that, then we might really want to investigate who our father actually is, as that might make a difference. Was Mom a slave in Baitel? She does not seem to be

If we are a slave then I think I will go with:
H winning our freedom through service and heroism, if we find that this is a custom. Maybe combine this with K, making the argument and then proving our worth. Can we ask (Ishamal maybe) if there is some rite of passage for manhood that Danal will have to face at some point? We know about something like that from the village don't we?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 29, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

To answer questions about your mother and flute:

Your mother is still a cook, a servant, but a free woman. Her job keeps her busy, but she seems happy. Snarls Barkley seems pretty fond of her as well. You see her during your many trips to the kitchen for your six or so daily meals. She works for Keza, a slave who commands all the servants and slaves in Tudiya's home who has been working her harder as a consequence of her hatred for you but your mother does not complain and does her best to hide Keza's abuse.

Your mother still on a regular basis expresses to you how happy she is that the two of you are finally safe, that you escaped Athar and are now in civilization.

You have not spent much time practicing with your flute, magical or mundane. The magical flute still lets you play masterpieces but for a reason you have yet to figure out, you cannot play such wonders in front of others. It works fine on your dog.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

Would it be possible to get an answer about our status first? I like being the noble slave that wins freedom over time I guess.

THE VARIOUS IDEAS FLOATED IN QUESTION ONE ARE NOT A VOTE TO GO DO THEM, NOW.

They are a poll to see how you feel about your lot in life and future speculation. If you run off to join the circus, that would be a future vote, you do not even know if you are a slave right now. You very well may not be. You do not know.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1A.
2A.

If there are negative consequences to being a slave, we have yet to see them. Enkidel is much too young to understand or appreciate the meaning of such abstract and intangible concepts as freedom, so I don't think it would bother him until he becomes of a certain ages and notices what sets a slave apart from a free man.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Sogol posted:

I am debating between being a noble slave, Protector of the Heir and being a noble 'savage' for whom freedom is like air. For the 'noble slave' option i think we will need to get a lot more educated and able, though we are not lacking in will or courage it seems. Would it be possible to get an answer about our status first? I like being the noble slave that wins freedom over time I guess.

For info:
F Z the high priest. I feel he might give us a balanced perspective. I would also like to ask a couple of people to get a filled out view. Beyond Z I might want to ask the question 'how do you tell if someone is a slave?' In antiquity being a slave was considered a matter of destiny, though this may not be like that. If it is that, then we might really want to investigate who our father actually is, as that might make a difference. Was Mom a slave in Baitel? She does not seem to be

If we are a slave then I think I will go with:
H winning our freedom through service and heroism, if we find that this is a custom. Maybe combine this with K, making the argument and then proving our worth. Can we ask (Ishamal maybe) if there is some rite of passage for manhood that Danal will have to face at some point? We know about something like that from the village don't we?

This. I agree with this. (I do understand that we're picking attitudes, not actions, at the moment.)

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Disargeria posted:

I am really happy with our current path and development. :buddy:

1. H
2. A

Tudiya has shown to be wise, and if anyone could change our status it would be him. I am under the impression that we are not a slave, though. We don't get told to do anything and don't appear to have any restrictions. We could simply ask if we may travel freely and see the world.

How is our mother doing, or is the same as last time because this update was just the effects of our voting?

Have we made any progress on flute playing?

I really like how we're coming along too.

I do think we're a slave though. I think we are being used as Danal's companion, and probably a future adviser. For what it's worth, that's not necessarily a bad thing and we may have significant social standing from this when we're older. Still, freedom would be great.

So I say:

We haven't thought about it. When the time comes up to be freed, I'd suggest a heroic deed of some kind. I think the king and the people in general would respond well to that, and with our size (and I'm pretty sure we have at least some of that divine juice Tudiyah and Danal have) it should be doable.

Then we consult with the Priest and the High Priestess both, and then our mother. Information from multiple sources! Not putting letters because you're repeating F in the second list.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

1. G
2. L our dog is probably the smartest person we know C and then B If Mom doesn't give us a straight non-slippery answer head to the source and ask the boss man about it.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Voting
1. H
2. Q

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1. H
2. G

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. C, we don't really care, but no one would like being a slave.

2. A, I don't really feel it matters to us at the moment. If it ever presents some sort of immediate problem we can go ask, but we are happy right now.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
1. B: The important people in our life don't treat us like slaves, that's what matters.

2. C: And maybe sneak out something about our dad...?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I say kill two birds with one stone. Draw up a set of arguments about why we aren't a slave, ask the king if we are a slave, and THEN make our case why we're free.

2: B, 1: K

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

THE VARIOUS IDEAS FLOATED IN QUESTION ONE ARE NOT A VOTE TO GO DO THEM, NOW.

They are a poll to see how you feel about your lot in life and future speculation. If you run off to join the circus, that would be a future vote, you do not even know if you are a slave right now. You very well may not be. You do not know.

There's a circus?!?

Sorry to have blurred the lines. I get that it is attitudinal, was just bumbling through what I felt our attitude might be. That said I think it is probably:

B until such a time as we encounter that this is a bad thing. I don't feel we have been socialized and so don't adhere or hold ourselves account to external morays about this yet. We seem to have a fierce loyalty to Danal that is more of an organizing principle than our social status.

For asking, it is still the priest.

If we had encountered really oppressive constraints associated with our status then I would go with the hero/legal route, but so far really only Keza, who thinks we are an animal. Keza :argh:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. All men were free in our village, how could we possibly not be too? And didn't we already provide well over our slave price in pearls, if indeed we could have been enslaved? To suggest we are another man's property is utterly confusing and nonsensical; surely Tudiya will see reason and agree! K

2. F Zeb is a learned man with affection for us that understands the inner workings of the city, and also has no visible stake in lying to us either way. He's the best bet for getting a straight answer.

Snarls is the best, btw. :chord:

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 29, 2013

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
1E
2B

Being a slave could be very very troublesome for us in the future. Lets find out and fix the situation

Also: Asking the kind is probably the wisest course of action. He likes us and we are a 13 yo kid. It could also lead to some interesting options for us if it turns out well.

Best case scenario he says no and laughs.

Basscop fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 30, 2013

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. C
2. C

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
1:K, using a variation of H as reasoning. Enkidel has already done some pretty impressive things, and all at a very young age. He heard supernatural prophesies, flew with Ashera's power, fought off the primal hunger of Ashera, was miraculously healed by the Melachim, discovered a mystic grotto, had a conversation with a sentient Artifact, received two magically-imbued/holy items without suffering any negative consequences, and befriended a semi-divine King while posing as older brother and mentor to said King's demigod son. Despite Enkidel's earlier fun with Danal, he is not a pet, plaything, or toy. He is not a beast of burden or a slave. If slavery in this culture is based on a combination of debt and social rank, then Enkidel must be free by definition.

2:E. He may try to deflect Enkidel as he has in the past, but I get the feeling he'll be more open now that Enki has grown up a bit.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1.K.Make it legal or if it syncs up with other votes, K+G: merging asking/arguing, mixing subjectivity with legalism.
2.Q music, but without getting drunk. Add O and pray to El about it too if it does not conflict. If neither works, I'd ask Tudiya with B, but that might be just my opinion.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Reason our way to freedom!

Get it straight from mom.

I wish to elaborate on this. Sure, we know our numbers better, but our greatest feat since moving into the city, besides changing Danal's attitude, is learning the law from a great king such as Tudiyah. I'm sure we've seen some criminal trials, most likely more of civil disputes between tradesman, farmers and possibly slaves if they have a right to a trial in this society. We have seen justice from Tudiyah in action at an impressionable age. As a child we were taught through fear, intimidation and pain. We have seen that is not the only way. In a way, our life under Sushem was probably more slavelike than we are now. We might equate slavery with how our "father" treated us, and dislike the idea of us as a slave whatsoever. If this choice wins out, I expect us to pore over every further ruling from Tudiyah, learn to read or ask people to read the laws of society to us to find any flaw in the law about our status under Tudiyah.

I expect us to fight for our freedom through just interpretation of the law. I expect us to be Jack McCoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjG2AMYiyrg&t=180s

Also, we have Danal's ear. As we impart our advice on him, try to teach him as he gets older to learn leadership skills. Let him see the potential consequences of his actions, work with him to keep being a better person, and how to handle groups of people. We know this somewhat due to our training under Sushem, but we probably see a lot more from how Tudiyah acts as king. Danal is young and doesn't see the importance of some of the duties of a King. we need to show him that. I can see us being an adviser and a friend to the future king, but we don't want to keep him viewing us as superior forever. I wouldn't be good for our future in court or his. Danal should grow up seeing us as his brother, an equal who looks out for his interest but allows him to lead.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
poo poo. Practice your drat flute.

Question: Who knows the most about prophecies, voices, magic, magic items, angels? I want to know who we can ask about the flute, sandals, the night we got them, and the voices we heard.

Question 2: Anything different about our magic sandals? Still muddy?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

poo poo. Practice your drat flute.

Question: Who knows the most about prophecies, voices, magic, magic items, angels? I want to know who we can ask about the flute, sandals, the night we got them, and the voices we heard.
Tudiya, Ishamal and Zebaneth all seem to be pretty on the ball about more than strictly mundane matters, Tudiya and Ishamal both having demonstrated more than strictly human abilities and Zebaneth leading a temple.

Ishamal is said to be the oldest man in the city. Bareen is a woman in a patriarchal society and runs the smaller temple of the Melachim in the city, she is abnormally tall for a woman and "old" despite not looking old, she may also be a good source.

There are a number of fortune tellers, potion gawkers and charm sellers in the city but their reliability is unclear, you have never actually tried their wares.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Question 2: Anything different about our magic sandals? Still muddy?
Still muddy. Still supremely comfortable.

They have grown with the size of your feet.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 30, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1. L Hey we wanted to be heroes right?

2. A Don't bring it up officially. They'll let us know our status when we're a man I bet.

Actually. Do we know when is the age of manhood in this place? How good a fighter is Bareen? Do the Melachim temple often go out on expeditions? Can we ask Tudiya / the high priest why he lives so long?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Actually. Do we know when is the age of manhood in this place?

You do. It is 16.

How good a fighter is Bareen?
Bareen has spared with Barkof. She lost, but she was able to keep pace with him for a time. Swordplay rings out with great regularity from the yard beside the Temple of the Melachim. She generally beats "normal men" who show up.

Do the Melachim temple often go out on expeditions?

They go once or twice a year, sometimes skipping a year here and there. They frequently do not come back. Sometimes they do, with monster skulls and treasure to show for their efforts. Their temple is decorated with trophies of their victories, dedicated to whatever Melachim they think guided them to victory that day.

Can we ask Tudiya / the high priest why he lives so long?
You once, shortly after you met him, asked Tudiya why he was so tall. He told you it was because the "Blood of Labaras". It is no secret that the descendants of Labaras are especially large, long lived and sometimes have powers such as the sorts you may have seen used, even if you did not understand them.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

They have grown with the size of your feet.

Best. Footwear. Ever.

So the sandals will prevent our feet from ever getting sore, right?

Question: Do we we still get tired if we run or job with the sandals on?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You do. However you do not tire from walking while wearing them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
K B Lawyerin'll do, and it could have some good side effects. And only Tudiya's opinions really matter in this city.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
1E
2B

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

BS.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
1: K
2: B

And if we aren't acknowledged to be free, then there shall come a time when we will baptize our freedom in the blood of our oppressors. Everything we've seen so far indicates that violence solves all problems.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. C
2. L

I believe we should continue to learn, but we also need to learn some martial skills. Whatever weapon we decide we want to be good at, we should start trying to get lessons with.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
K. I'm all for proving our worth to the king with intelligent legal discussions, if it infact turns out we're a slave.
This will make us look much less like a savage and have people see us in a new light.

H. Barkof, I just really want a conversation with the guy since we're headed down a road taking on a similar role to him as Danal's second, advisor, confidant, and bodyguard.

Diogines- It's been two years has anyone told us the final fate of Enkidu after we expressed interest on the caravan trip?
If it's something horrible can you tell it to us as a flashback of Keza spitting venom at us?

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
1. C
2. C

Do our sandals allow us to fall from heights unharmed?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BoyG posted:

Do our sandals allow us to fall from heights unharmed?

I doubt it. I think they just let us walk/run without ever getting tired or fatigued.

If we wanted ones for falling, we should have grabbed these ones

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GloriousDemon posted:

K. I'm all for proving our worth to the king with intelligent legal discussions, if it infact turns out we're a slave.
This will make us look much less like a savage and have people see us in a new light.

I was initially going to go for option C, but this convinced me. Let's show people that we may have been raised in the wild, but momma didn't raise no fools! Bonus points if somewhere during our argument we say something like "Now, I'm just a simple country boy, so I hope you'll help explain this to me, but..."

And while we're at it, let's go the full bold barbarian route that cuts straight to the heart of the matter!

K and A.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
1. K
2. C

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

We have a tie between not asking anyone and asking your mother. Voting closes in 30 minutes.

If you change your vote, which you are allowed to do, please clearly indicate so in a new vote

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Alright, I'd rather ask Mom than nobody, so I'll change to C. My first vote remains K.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
F. If it turns out I am a slave, I WILL be free! I will run away to another city or even back to my village! Eventually...

B. Yes. Tudiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
K
C