Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
With GFWL on the way out, I'm looking at some of the games I have kicking around that use it to try to 100% them achievement-wise, but there's a few I've barely started. What can people advise me in Bulletstorm, GTA4, Resident Evil 5, and Viva Pinata? (missables particularly, but general advice would be great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flatluigi posted:

With GFWL on the way out, I'm looking at some of the games I have kicking around that use it to try to 100% them achievement-wise, but there's a few I've barely started. What can people advise me in Bulletstorm, GTA4, Resident Evil 5, and Viva Pinata? (missables particularly, but general advice would be great)

Bulletstorm has online achievements. I don't know about the other games but you might want to check those as well.

GTA4 has an achievement requiring you to beat the story missions in 30 hours. The statistic figures to about 3 missions an hour which is doable but time is counted at all moments. You can reload a save but every time you die the clock doesn't stop or restart.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I've decided to finally play through Freelancer after never having really touched the singleplayer and just doing dogfights with friends online.

What should I know? And any recommended mods?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Any advice on Final Fantasy 2 on the PSP?

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
I've had the X3 games (Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude) sitting in my Steam account for ages but never really touched them. I've enjoyed a whole range of space combat/trade/sim games so figured I'd get something out of these games eventually, but I also understand they can be a bit esoteric.

Should I play all three, or should I skip any of them? Any newbie traps that could gently caress me up in the long run? Basically, what should I be doing in my first few hours of the game(s)?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I found Recettear in my steam library and was thinking about giving it a go. Anyone have advice on this? Is it simply something like Chocobo's Dungeon with a small store mini game?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ughhhh posted:

I found Recettear in my steam library and was thinking about giving it a go. Anyone have advice on this? Is it simply something like Chocobo's Dungeon with a small store mini game?

There's a lot of tips but the gist of it is to ignore Tear's 120% recommendation and do something like 105%. This is cheap enough to get everyone to like you and by the time your payments start racking up it vastly increases the money people are willing to give you. The little girl has next to no budget at first so if she ever complains about price you should severely under price the item because she turns into Moneybags late game.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

flatluigi posted:

Resident Evil 5, Viva Piņata
The single most important advice: play it co-op if possible.
If the achievements are the same as on 360 there are no missables. Actually, RE5 is an absolute blast to 100% and has great replayability, which is good because you need to do multiple runs to pop all achievements. By the end you'll have guns with infinite ammo that willl one-shot bosses which gave you grief earlier. It's great!

Viva Piņata is surprisingly fun. No missables here either, but the game is a time sink; one achievement is for playing the game for 50 hours!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Anything for Virtue's Last Reward?

I'm playing the 3DS eShop version so I don't have to worry about the infamous save-corrupting bug. I read an LP of 999 so I have a general idea of what to expect and the previous story.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

ughhhh posted:

The most important thing that I had to learn is that a customer's purchasing power (wallet size) depends on their relationship to you. The average markup you could get away with is ~120%, but at least early in the game, you should do price dumping and sell at 104% / buy at 60%, so that you'll make some profit and also have a good chance of improving relationship (getting a heart popup). Customers start off with a couple of thou in their wallets, but given love they can afford up to several hundred thousand.

Focus on buying and selling items from the wholesalers instead of dungeoncrawling. Dungeons are not profitable until well later, you'll need the money, and you won't have a lot of inventory space for dungeon loot if you're low merchant level. Only go to dungeons once you've secured the amount of money you need to pay back the debt for the week.

Don't immediately sell items you craft, unless you really need the money to pay debt. Low level crafted items can become components for high level ones.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 29, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sonance posted:

I've had the X3 games (Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude) sitting in my Steam account for ages but never really touched them. I've enjoyed a whole range of space combat/trade/sim games so figured I'd get something out of these games eventually, but I also understand they can be a bit esoteric.

Should I play all three, or should I skip any of them? Any newbie traps that could gently caress me up in the long run? Basically, what should I be doing in my first few hours of the game(s)?
They're not sequels so much as improvements. Only play the most recent.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

torjus posted:

The single most important advice: play it co-op if possible.
If the achievements are the same as on 360 there are no missables. Actually, RE5 is an absolute blast to 100% and has great replayability, which is good because you need to do multiple runs to pop all achievements. By the end you'll have guns with infinite ammo that willl one-shot bosses which gave you grief earlier. It's great!

Viva Piņata is surprisingly fun. No missables here either, but the game is a time sink; one achievement is for playing the game for 50 hours!

This Viva Pinata talk reminded me that I really want to play it again . I recall you need some kind of wonky live account to play it on pc though and you need to be online all the time (right?), is it feasible to play on a modern pc, preferably without needing outdated windows live bloatware?

Maybe I should just unbox my 360 again and play that version if I can find it cheap...

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 29, 2013

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Shibawanko posted:

This Viva Pinata talk reminded me that I really want to play it again . I recall you need some kind of wonky live account to play it on pc though and you need to be online all the time (right?), is it feasible to play on a modern pc, preferably without needing outdated windows live bloatware?

Maybe I should just unbox my 360 again and play that version if I can find it cheap...
I have only played it on 360, and I'm sure you can get it extremely cheap, either alone or bundled with Forza 2.

It got a sequel (Trouble in Paradise), but I never "finished" it as I was kinda burned out on the concept. Some of the things in TiP relies on the Xbox Live camera.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Anything for Shogun 2? I played some single player and did ok. Then I jumped into coop and within 10 turns, Everyone is at war with me. Last turn we survived I had a full army (still just the two basic units, no time to get anything else) in my base, plus my allies full army and we had 4 full stack armies from different clans attack us. Why is the coop so drat hard? Any strats?

Shalcar is doing an LP of vanilla Shogun 2 right now, which besides showing the game, is aimed at helping new players understand the game. He has a gone through the early game atm, and written up some posts about the math of the economy, and distilled the essence down if you don't care for equations, as well as providing some tips to how to deal with the broken balance of the various upgrade trees. I suggest you check it out in the LP subforum.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 29, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sonance posted:

Skip to Albion Prelude, these games improve mechanics gradually and replace plot missions but plot is pretty unimportant as it's more a sandbox than a guided tour. Run plot missions you're given at the start as those are generally well-rewarding and easy early on, when plot gets tough go off to do your own stuff for money, reputation and shinier ships. Then come back to main plot and secondary ones that you probably unlocked through reputation/combat ratings.
As for newbie traps - don't ever pilot a trade ship yourself, that is slow and boring as hell - there are commands to order it remotely or even automate fully. You can be shooting space pirates in a fighter while trade autopilot is padding your bank account, it is more fun and pays pretty well too.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Just got Far Cry 3, Sonic Generations, and Gears of War 3. What do I need to know? I've played all the other Gears games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Count Chocula posted:

Just got Far Cry 3, Sonic Generations, and Gears of War 3. What do I need to know? I've played all the other Gears games.

Something for Gears of War 3 - Sniper Rifles no longer use standard ammo (:argh:), and the Retro Lancer is a great Locust-killer if you don't mind the recoil (fire in short bursts and it kills things over long distances just fine).

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Count Chocula posted:

Far Cry 3 is pretty intuitive and has a good tutorial, so there's not much:

Play on Hard, it's too easy on Medium and dying isn't a big deal.

In standard game you will have way way too much money; too much because by some astonishingly stupid design decision your wallet is limited in size. If you find yourself out of options as for where to spend your money, then you can buy all possible attachments for all possible guns.

The quest to hunt the critter you need for the largest loot backpack comes from the outpost north of Badtown, if I remember correctly.

Remember to save manually before quitting, in case you had been exploring and not done a mission for a while, which would have autosaved.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask: is there a thread on Might and Magic: Duel of Champions? I couldn't see one for all my ctrl+fing. If not, any tips?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pigdog posted:

Far Cry 3 is pretty intuitive and has a good tutorial, so there's not much:

Play on Hard, it's too easy on Medium and dying isn't a big deal.

In standard game you will have way way too much money; too much because by some astonishingly stupid design decision your wallet is limited in size. If you find yourself out of options as for where to spend your money, then you can buy all possible attachments for all possible guns.

The quest to hunt the critter you need for the largest loot backpack comes from the outpost north of Badtown, if I remember correctly.

Remember to save manually before quitting, in case you had been exploring and not done a mission for a while, which would have autosaved.

Adding to this, there's a skill on the skill tree called Jungle Run that improves your crouched moving speed. Prioritize the stealth skills and health buffs.
It's not explained very well in the game, but use the camera to tag and "wallhack" enemies. It has a longer range to do so than other weapons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Anything for Virtue's Last Reward?

I'm playing the 3DS eShop version so I don't have to worry about the infamous save-corrupting bug. I read an LP of 999 so I have a general idea of what to expect and the previous story.
The game is super straightforward. Thanks to the excellent flowchart system, it's easy to keep track of where you are and you are able to jump to any point you've been to before. You'll figure it out in seconds.

That said, you should play on Easy so you get more dialogue in puzzle rooms. Then turn it back to Hard and revisit them with the solutions to get the Gold Files. Also hitting Y(?) lets you skip already read dialogue.

Also be aware that they didn't "fix" the save-corrupting bug so much that they just disabled saving in the PEC room altogether. I think technically it can still occur in the Crew Quarters. Basically I would still avoid saving in any puzzle room if possible. Remember, thanks to the flowchart you can always duck back to a previous point and save there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Also be aware that they didn't "fix" the save-corrupting bug so much that they just disabled saving in the PEC room altogether. I think technically it can still occur in the Crew Quarters. Basically I would still avoid saving in any puzzle room if possible. Remember, thanks to the flowchart you can always duck back to a previous point and save there.

The Crew Quarters bug is a different one - something about the poster-scratching puzzle can (on very rare occasions) cut out all recognition of the touchscreen, requiring a reboot. Also just play on Hard Mode. There's no good reason at all to play on Easy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The idea was that you opened up more conversations with the other characters on Easy. And since you can re-visit and instantly open the safes on a second attempt, you didn't lose anything by doing so. I played the entire game on Hard but the idea of having more dialogue seemed appealing.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

In Farcry 3 there are hunting side missions. "Kill 3 warthogs at a certain point with weapon X" and that weapon will be at the start point. Its not always a good weapon with any/no attachments. Fortunately if you have an upgraded version of that weapon already you have already modded out you can take it along with you to use which can make it easier.

The game might look difficult at first as you are weak as hell, enemies are all around and you can't carry much ammo but really the missions aren't too difficult. However it can be worthwhile for a few hours early on to clear out a few bases, climb towers and hunt for pelts and hides. This will remove enemies from areas, unlock weapons, increase your xp to use on upgrades and allow you to carry more weapons/ammo/money. The last, hunting is highly useful as your ammo carrying capacity at the start is not good for mid to large scale confrontations and you can easily find yourself running out. Though you can pick up enemy weapons.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
What of Dragon Commander?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Here's an odd one, any tips for World of Warcraft?

The last time I played it was years ago, like Burning Crusade era. I was gifted some gametime and a part of me wants to see what has changed and other part is typical MMO self loathing.

Any leveling tips would be helpful (I rolled a panda shaman) or anything I should know in general; such as things I should avoid doing, things I should be saving for, etc.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Mayor McCheese posted:

The last time I played it was years ago, like Burning Crusade era. I was gifted some gametime and a part of me wants to see what has changed and other part is typical MMO self loathing.

Any leveling tips would be helpful (I rolled a panda shaman) or anything I should know in general; such as things I should avoid doing, things I should be saving for, etc.

Dungeons seem to be the fastest way to level once you hit 15. Don't feel too bad about kicking horrible people (not for being bad, for being dicks), the votekick usually passes if you explain why.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

Levelling is dead easy now. There's so many quests in each zone that you will never have to grind mobs to level, and there is no need for a levelling guide of any kind. Go to a level appropriate area and start questing until you reach the level for another zone, then move on. Simples.

The big thing to save up for is riding training - not as expensive as it used to be but still quite a hefty sum for a first character.

A good way to make gold when levelling (one I didn't do and suffered for it) is to take two gathering professions (skinning and either mining or herbalism) and sell what you gather on the Auction House. This will help you pay for mounts and bags and such. Then, once you're a higher level, or even capped, you can use an online guide to level up crafting professions pretty quickly. Such as Engineering, which is the best profession.

There's a whole stickied thread of handy hints in the WoW subforum.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything to know for XCOM: declassified or whatever the proper name is?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Cool, thanks guys!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything to know for XCOM: declassified or whatever the proper name is?

Use Battle Focus all the time. If it has been more then 10 seconds and you haven't used Battle Focus you're wrong.

If you don't give your squadmates directions, they aren't very good. If you tell them to fire at a target, they do much more damage.

Spam your abilities. Things that give you reduced cooldowns are really good. When hiring new Agents, choosing the reduced cooldown perk is a good idea.

If you see a Minion Commander or Tech Commander make them your first target. They can throw out drones that heal.

Try to always use abilities to compliment each other. Using Lift then Critical Shot is crazy powerful.

Spam your abilities.

For Dispatch missions think about the ranks of the Agents when it comes to the order you send them. If you send a Rank 4 and another Rank 4 right after him on an 8 difficulty mission, you can only send those two. If you send a Rank 4, then a Rank 3, and put another Rank 4, you didn't hit the cap until the third soldier. All three can go.

This is an XCOM game, so the hardest missions are the first ones after the tutorial. Once you find better weapons and get some levels it gets easier. Death is also permanent. Flanking enemies does a lot of damage.

All the classes are useful. Take different combinations of classes to see how they pair together.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Spore page on the wiki looked a bit anaemic, so I'll throw like a million tips in here to beef it out.

Generally, being a Social player is easier than an Aggressive player. Siren Song, Fireworks and Black Cloud are broken as gently caress and make those stages a breeze. Aggressive playthroughs are more fun IMO. Omnivore/adaptable players will have stronger Space Stage passives.

Fun tips - hold A whilst adding or dragging a part for asymmetry. Shift and Ctrl in Building and Vehicle editors allow free horizontal and vertical movement so you can make cooler stuff.

It's possible (and easy) to grab every cell part in the first stage. Grab some defences and jaws and go hunting for cells with the part you want.

Siren Song can be used on creatures hostile (red angry face) to you, allowing you to socialize with them - the first successful socialize will reset them to ambivalent (yellow). Use this to grab a strong pack member if you want.

Generally, after each brain/pack expansion, your species will migrate. Try and get as much done as possible between mating/evolution so you have a lot of new parts and DNA to play with and delay migration.

Destroying the eggs of a species instantly makes you their sworn enemy.

If you see a bunch of weird green pods at a nest, that species is evolving. They will turn up next time you mate/respawn.

Any pack members of a different species will be put in your pen in the Tribal Stage, getting you free food no matter what your diet is. Eggs rock.

Beware if you have the Creepy and Cute pack installed - these parts will be added to bones and rewards in the Creature stage. Their stats are okay, but if you don't want to use them you're a bit boned as the game likes to throw them at you and be coy with the vanilla parts.

You can edit your creatures before entering the Tribal stage - take the time to pretty up your creature, because once you click the tick, your penismonster is a penismonster forever.

Upgrade your costume regularly in Tribal - the stats can give you an edge.

Getting lots of food in Tribal boils down to a) abusing the hell out of your Chieftain's food ability (Storm, Fish, Traps) and b) getting a full pen of wild animals for eggs. You can easily roll in 500+ food at the later stages.

Most interactions in the Tribal stage can be brute forced by simply bringing enough people along. Leave one or two behind to guard the food/babies. Take everyone for the very last social/fight because it doesn't matter by then.

Click your campfire with creatures selected to make them dance. :3:

Take a few weapons no matter your alignment - all tribes after the first one are not big fans of you, so getting axes to fend off raids is a priority.

Civilization stage is boring as hell - 30 minutes of designing buildings, followed by zerg-rushing everyone until you can use your "I Win" ability. Blast through it asap, because Space Stage rocks.

Shop around in Space Stage - it's important to get a good route between empires going, selling spice to the highest bidder and buying your tools from the cheapest seller. Health, energy upgrades and cargo space are a priority, followed by pretty much whatever you need at the moment.

Empires have a star rating next to them, which tells you how tough any ships they give to your fleet are. Try and use only 3-5 star rated empires as your fleet members.

Destroyed enemy ships often drop money tokens, which you can abduct to get paid.

Certain empires pay lots of cash for artifacts. Make a note of what their philosophy is!

For the love of god, find some good creators and Sporecasts and buddy/subscribe to them. 90% of content on the Sporepedia is poo poo, but you'll occasionally find some savants that make awesome stuff. They are your lifeline to a good time and pretty-looking things.

Everyone has their own special snowflake empire/coalition/federation/fanfiction. Get used to it.

Most user-made Galactic Adventures are terrible combat slogfests, or at least somewhat combat oriented. Grab some Warrior parts (claws and laser) or Shaman parts (poison, bees, mind meld) or don't play them at all.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

The Deleter posted:

The Spore page on the wiki looked a bit anaemic, so I'll throw like a million tips in here to beef it out.

Thanks. I've added these to the wiki page.

As well as the Far Cry 3 tips above, and the XCOM Declassified tips.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone have any tips for Eador? I'm on the first shard and I can pretty much beat any combat, but I don't see a way to actually defend my territories, so when I take over a territory and the enemy inevitably takes it back, they somehow poo poo out like 9 units to defend it which means I have to slog my way back. The only thing I can do is make an outpost, but those are prohibitively expensive for me right now.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Eador? I'm on the first shard and I can pretty much beat any combat, but I don't see a way to actually defend my territories, so when I take over a territory and the enemy inevitably takes it back, they somehow poo poo out like 9 units to defend it which means I have to slog my way back. The only thing I can do is make an outpost, but those are prohibitively expensive for me right now.

This is an easy one: when you click on the province, one of the little circles is the option to hire a province defense force of some kind: local militia, adventurers, brute squad, elves etc. You should put them in most provinces and they're pretty cheap, between 30-80 gold for about 9 units that can't leave the province. They seem to get more powerful the longer it's been since you've hired them, so my province defense that I've had for 20 turns can easily put down local revolts, but they still get wrecked by armies led by the enemy hero.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Yeah, hiring guards is the main thing. Keep in mind the enemy gets to buy bigger and badder guards over time, so as much as you'd love exploring everything with your heroes, it's usually better to rush the enemy as soon as possible, unless you want to fight huge pain in the rear end high level guards in every province.

The other major defensive tool are Forts, which you can unlock with a second level castle or so. Make sure you actually garrison them with something! Even if there's a measly one peasant garrisoned in them, they still present a major obstacle which will tie the enemy hero down for several turns while he sieges, and while he sieges he cannot run away. Thus forts also function as "hero traps" which let you actually kill the annoying enemy attackers and not have them escape every time you try to fight them. You can hire new troops for your heroes in them, too, which is also a big thing.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 1, 2013

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
A couple of tips for Far Cry 3 when you first start out. Aside from all of the above mentioned tips, two things...

1. The "throw rock" ability, to distract enemies, is invaluable, use it often. Makes stealth a breeze. It's easy to forget about the rock throw.

2. Shortly after the game starts and you've done a few tutorial missions, if you head towards the radio tower, you'll find a 4 wheeler, do that mission.

Treser
Sep 2, 2013

It's not supposed to be safe

Just got Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition and I loving suck at it. Could use some help. It's like every game against AI I just get annihilated. I can rarely go on the actual offensive since I get lovely as gently caress rolls.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

InK105 posted:

Just got Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition and I loving suck at it. Could use some help. It's like every game against AI I just get annihilated. I can rarely go on the actual offensive since I get lovely as gently caress rolls.
The tips for the game are the same as for regular blood bowl, but to the point:

Good starting teams are Amazon, Norse, Humans, and Orcs. Amazons start with Dodge, without being as frail or expensive as elves, and their Blitzers start with the amazing combination of Block and Dodge (often referred to as Blodge). Norse all get Block, which means they're very good at winning tackles they really shouldn't. Humans are versatile, and have dudes who can do just about anything you need. (Don't get an Ogre right away.) Orcs are like humans, but with more emphasis on the bashing (Both Orc Blitzers and Black Orc Blockers are INSANE).

If you have a player with some kind of permanent injury, retire and replace him as soon as you can afford to. You're always, always better off just replacing him with a fresh newbie than throwing more and more SPP at someone who's at a disadvantage. And just keeping him on the bench for sentimental value is even worse, as he'll be artificially inflating your team value.

In the same vein, make sure to spread your SPP around. It takes 6 SPP to get your first upgrade, but to get your second takes 16, so whenever you can, spread out things like who you pass to, who makes the TDs, etc. There will naturally be some people who level faster than others, of course, but try to do what you can. (Throwers and Catchers tend to get lots of them just for completed passes, and a lucky Blitzer can level in a game or two just from causing casualties.)

A good team should have a full roster, an extra lineman, and 3 rerolls. 4's probably too many, 2's almost certainly not enough. Don't bother with cheerleaders or assistant coaches until very late-season, and Fan Factor isn't exactly hugely important in LRB5. You'll probably be fine just putting it at 2 or 3 and just forgetting about it.

Since a single failed roll ends your turn, start with the roll-less actions (getting up, moving dudes who won't have to dodge, etc), then go to the highest-priority, highest-probability-of-success actions and go from there. That way, even if you do fail your first roll, you haven't lost a whole turn.

You can only reroll any die once. So if you try to pick up a ball, fail, and reroll that die with a skill, you won't then be able to re-reroll it with a team reroll if that fails.

When upgrading dudes, if you can get a stat-up, do. Although you could theoretically argue that AV isn't worth the upgrade, in just about every other situation it definitely, definitely always is. Otherwise, go for Block and/or Dodge if you can, someone with both will only be taken down by 1/6 tackles. Other good skills, depending on role: Guard, Accurate, Tackle, Sure Hands, Nerves of Steel... Generally, things that have a constant effect that you don't have to remember to use and that will come up often.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slavik posted:

In Farcry 3 ... However it can be worthwhile for a few hours early on to clear out a few bases, climb towers and hunt for pelts and hides. This will remove enemies from areas, unlock weapons, increase your xp to use on upgrades and allow you to carry more weapons/ammo/money.

Finally, some of the skills are unlocked only after certain story missions are completed. At the beginning, focusing on playing missions until you see an ink monster (really hard to miss :D ) which unlocks most - if not all - of the skill trees.