Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Hey gang I noticed talk of bitrates, chrome extensions and even the radio creeping on to the hallowed turf of the monthly PL thread so thought I'd make this one where you can talk about the audiovisual side of things safe in the knowledge that you're boring fewer innocent people to death.

UK-wise it's been a great year for televised foot. Exciting developments include:

• You can now miss all your favourite goals with BT Broadband - Patchy Service That Costs A Bomb(tm)
  • Now TV means you can hire Sky for 24 hours for £10 (I think) to catch the biggest games interspersed with more ads than you'd ever thought possible
  • And there has been a shake-up on MOTD. Hansen is history, Lineker does haggard interviews in profile and the latest league standings are brought to you from inside the Crystal Dome. Of course we won't be discussing that in here. MOTD and what Nikolai likes to call the Colin Murray Chuckle Hour can be debated at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515567

Anyway if you want to expound on ESPN3, indict ITV Sport or rant about Radio 5 loving Live here's a good place to do it.
Me? I'll stick to https://www.wiziwig.tv and http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive thanks. :cheers:

e. Whoops got the bbc url wrong!

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-blind Hero
Apr 26, 2010
Masonity made this excellent post in the prem thread explaining how to get Al Jazeera Sport working from outside Middle East. I think it should be here too.

Masonity posted:

An Idiots Guide to Al Jazeera

Step 1:
Go to https://hola.org/ and download either the Firefox or Chrome addon. Don't mess around with the actual .exe.

Step 2:
Click Here to start making Al Jazeera sports think you are located in Egypt. It really is as simple as clicking that link once Hola is installed.

Step 3:
Go to http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv and click "subscribe now". Enter your name and email address and choose a random country. Egypt would match your Hola but it isn't important.

Step 4:
Scroll up, make sure you have chosen the time you want to subscribe for. I do monthly at $19 myself.

Step 5:
Click "pay with paypal" and "continue to secure payment". At this point it is a standard paypal transaction.

Step 6:
Any time you want to watch Al Jazeera, make sure you are using the browser with Hola installed, then just go to http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv , sign in and either choose a channel or go to schedule. It's fairly intuitive.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

^^ beaten, but this is more in depth

Al-Jazeera: Watch all leagues for $19 / £12.55 month!

What is it?

Middle-east region locked online sport streaming service (flash-based). Covers the Premiership, La Liga, Champs, Europa, and loads of other leagues/sports to boot!

How do I get it?

Connect using Google Chrome or Firefox web browser and a free extension, spoofing your location to Eygpt. Monthly subs via Paypal or Card. No checks are done to ensure you're actually from the middle east.

iOS/Android/Windows Phone apps are available, but required a separate paid-for VPN to the middle east to work (see https://www.overplay.net/ for example). Hola is available for Android, but does not allow the app to be downloaded.

Is this illegal?

No, you're paying for a service - not stealing it. The original content owners may not be happy that you're not using your regional provider, and may ask Al Jazeera to tighten up it's screening process. A court case in the UK has already indicated watching content from outside your region is not illegal: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

1. Download and install Google Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
2. Install Hola unblocker: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en
3. Install the Al Jazeera filter script: https://hola.org/unblocker?hscript=96ea7120675c1578&sites=Aljazeera-Sport
4. Ensure Hola is set to on (click on the flaming face icon)
5. Visit Al Jazeera: https://secure.en.aljazeerasport.tv/buy (note the Hola face should now be an Eygpt flag)
6. Pick your subscription type for the "Full Sports Package". Most have gone with the $19 monthly fee to avoid losing money if this is ever blocked. If you're feeling confident, go for 3 months or the whole season up front and save money
7. Enter your name (fake or real) plus a working email address
8. Set country prefix to Eygpt
9. Leave phone blank
10. Set password & reminder
11. Choose PayPal or Card payment. Either work, and regions are not checked
12. Continue to secure payment
13. Follow on screen info

Watching & hints

Bookmark: http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Schedule

This page does not auto load a stream, and has a quick at-a-glance countdown to the sporting events. Note that sometimes there are additional channels running with English language commentaries.

Click a channel/event or press Watch Now.

You will be asked to sign in again, I use the Google Password caching to allow one-click access to the stream.

If you get geo-blocked warning, check Hola has the Eygpt flag. If not, click it to enable it.

Stream quality: varies, and the flash player isnt efficient. Old/Slow PCs will drop quality. Same with poor broadband. HD streams are run via Akamai at 400kb/s. Expect HD streams to vary between SD and HD while watching the game. 90% of the time it will be HD.

Commentary: there is a drop down at the bottom right of the stream. English language commentary is often accessible via this but isn't a given.

KCER added:
If you get Al-Jazeera sign in ONCE on and leave it open all day if you intend on watching multiple games. If you constantly close and reopen Hola you presumably use various locations in Egypt and you risk getting your account blocked for suspicious login activity, like I did!

They'll unblock it for you, but they'll also leave a note on your account that you've previously been blocked for account sharing.

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 30, 2013

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
After Arsenal became the second club to get complaints about whacking a great big camera in front of fans paying £1 a minute to watch their side, the Premier League hit back:

ESPN posted:

"The investment brought by TV companies has benefited fans in terms of facilities," a Premier League spokesman told the newspaper. "Old Trafford's capacity was 44,000 at the start of the Premier League. It is now 75,000, and even grounds like Craven Cottage are being looked at in terms of improving stands, so the camera and other media facilities will be a part of that process.

"Match-going fans are top of the 'supporter hierarchy' and that needs to be recognised."

I actually think TV-watching fans are top of the 'supporter hierarchy', and understandably so. The Emirates could lie empty week after week (and frequently does by the sound of things!) without too many problems, but cut off the TV money and we'd be back in the dark days of the 80s, when Liverpool used to win things.

Pretty cool that 'followers' from Chinese Taipei have more influence than season ticket holders.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
If you get Al-Jazeera sign in ONCE on and leave it open all day if you intend on watching multiple games. If you constantly close and reopen Hola you presumably use various locations in Egypt and you risk getting your account blocked for suspicious login activity, like I did!

They'll unblock it for you, but they'll also leave a note on your account that you've previously been blocked for account sharing.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

kcer posted:

Added, cheers!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What's happening with full games on AJ? Noticed Chelsea vs United is up as a full game being the first BPL game for them to do this with.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Noice. Does anyone have any advice on how to get Al-Jazeera sports running on Android systems? Would love to watch a bit of footy on me HTC One.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Machinegunboyo posted:

Noice. Does anyone have any advice on how to get Al-Jazeera sports running on Android systems? Would love to watch a bit of footy on me HTC One.

Hola app for android?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hola&hl=en_GB

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

The Hola apps seems to work well but the Al Jazeera site seems to have issues with flash. Was hoping there might be a way to work around that.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I've been thinking about getting Al Jazeera for a while.

Would it work and be in HD If I linked the TV up to the laptop?

Thrifting Day! fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 30, 2013

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

The Natural posted:

I've been thinking about getting Al Jazeera for a while.

Would it work and be in HD If I linked the TV up to the laptop?

If the game you are watching is in HD, and you link up your HDTV via an HDMI cable, then yes. But as mentioned, the Al Jazeera stream drops in and out of HD from time to time depending on your connection (and probably their server load). I don't know how one of their SD streams will look blown up on a large TV, but probably not great.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Americans:

NBC Sports stream. Every game. Live. It rules. Use it. It's free.

Cheers.

WP

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Sky Sports
New Addition: Jamie Carragher
Notable Commentators: Martin Tyler, Rob Hawthrone, Alan Parry
Notable Co-Commentators: Gary Neville, Niall Quinn
Notable Pundits: Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Souness, Jamie Carragher
Notable Presenters: Ed Chamberlain, David Jones, Jeff Stelling

Saturday
2.30pm - Saturday Night Football - Team Talk
David Jones and Jamie Redknapp preview the 3pm kick offs
3.00pm - Soccer Saturday (also 12 - 6pm on Sky Sports News HD)
Jeff Stelling and the boys return with all the news, views and analysis
5pm - Saturday Night Football - Live
David Jones and Jamie Redknapp debate the early matches and present the live late match under a live studio audience.
Sunday
1pm - Super Sunday
Up to two live matches with analysis from Graeme Souness, Niall Quinn and more. Presented by Ed Chamberlain.
Monday
7 - 11pm - Monday Night Football
Detailed analysis of the weekend's matches and talking points in a new look studio. Ed Chamberlain with Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher
Also Sky Sports is offering Sky Sports 1 for free to anyone on the opening day of the Premier League as part of their “Project Purple” plan.

BT Sport
Replaced ESPN UK matches, but with some 1st choice pick

Commentators: Ian Darke, Darren Fletcher (formerly of BBC Radio, not Man Utd. midfielder)
Co-Commentator: Michael Owen
Pundits: David James, Steve McManaman, Owen Hargreaves
Presenter: Jake Humphrey (formerly of BBC F1 coverage)
Special Contributor: Mark Halsey, the referee, will provide some type of role. Ray Stubbs as Chief Football Reporter.

12:45 PM Premier League matches

BBC
Have Premier League highlights
Presenter: Gary Linekar (MOTD), Mark Chapman (MOTD2)
Pundits: Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer, Mark Lawrensen in a more limited role, Gus Poyet, Robbie Fowler, Les Ferdinand, Michael Owen, Robbie Savage and Gianluca Vialli

USA
NBC
Replaced FOX and ESPN.
Commentators: Arlo White
Co-Commentators: Lee Dixon or Graham Le Saux (Premier League)
Pundits: Robbie Earle, Robbie Mustoe, Kyle Martino
Presenter: Rebecca Lowe
Special Contributor: Gary Linekar

Schedule:
Saturday
4:30 AM NBCSN
7:00 AM NBCSN, NBC Premier League Extra Time
9:30 AM NBC
Sunday
5:30 AM NBCSN
8:00 AM NBCSN
Monday
12:00 PM NBCSN

Non-Arlo White matches will have the World Feed commentators.

Premier League Extra Time is an overflow channels for all other matches not aired on any of the NBC family of network. Right now it is available on DirecTV, DISH Network, AT&T U-verse, Cablevision’s Optimum, Comcast Xfinity TV and Suddenlink.

All matches will be streamed through NBC Sports Live Extra
Currently, the following TV providers that offer their subscribers access to NBC Sports Live Extra are xFinity Comcast, Cablevision, DISH, Mediacom, RCN, Suddenlink, Verizon FiOS, WOW!, AT&T U-verse, and whatever is on the picture http://worldsoccertalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/nbc-sports-live-extra-provider-list-reg.jpg.

Other Programs
Match of the Day — Modeled on the BBC show of the same name, this two-hour highlights show will be shown every Saturday. The show will re-air on Sunday mornings.
Match of the Day 2 — Modeled on the BBC show of the same name, this 90-minute show will feature highlights from Sunday’s matches.
Premier League Countdown — A preview of the 2013-14 Premier League season.
Premier League Download — The show will feature celebrity supporters, comedians and journalists who will discuss what they love and loathe about the league.
Premier League 36 — NBC Sports Network’s 36 Series will follow footballers for the 36 hours leading up to a match in a unique behind-the-scenes documentary.
Premier League Goal Zone — A 30-minute program airing after matches on Sunday with highlights of all the goals scored on Saturday and Sunday.
Game Cut-Downs — On Monday nights, NBC Sports Network will present a two-hour show featuring shorter versions of the Man United and Manchester City games. On Tuesdays, a two-hour show will feature highlights from Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham matches.
Premier League Review — The popular show that features highlights of games will be shown by NBC Sports.
Premier League Preview — The popular preview show returns to NBC Sports.
Premier League World — The weekly magazine show produced by Premier League returns to television.

Other countries:
Canada - TSN, Rogers Sportsnet
Middle East - Al-Jazeera Sports with Richard Keys and Andy Gray in Doha
New Zealand - Paid online service

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Weaponized Cum posted:

Americans:

NBC Sports stream. Every game. Live. It rules. Use it. It's free.

Define free? Free as in "anyone can watch this stuff on the website" or "free if you're paying for an NBC Sports package or have a contract from an approved cable provider" or something?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Define free? Free as in "anyone can watch this stuff on the website" or "free if you're paying for an NBC Sports package"?

2nd one. Also, you will need a cable provider that has an agreement with NBC too.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

psyer posted:

2nd one. Also, you will need a cable provider that has an agreement with NBC too.

Balls. I was hoping some creative DNS fuckery could've unlocked access. Oh well, guess I'll keep paying for Al-Jazeera and hoping the TV situation in Finland unfucks itself.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Balls. I was hoping some creative DNS fuckery could've unlocked access. Oh well, guess I'll keep paying for Al-Jazeera and hoping the TV situation in Finland unfucks itself.

If you know someone in the US that has cable account, you could do that.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Der Shovel posted:

Define free? Free as in "anyone can watch this stuff on the website" or "free if you're paying for an NBC Sports package or have a contract from an approved cable provider" or something?

Free as in "I don't even have cable and I use my girlfriend's best friend's sister comcast account to watch footy" free.

Figure it out.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
With a U-verse basic package I get NBC Sports as well as Fox Sports (including 2, which I'm watching the UCL Supercup on as of this post)

Half-blind Hero
Apr 26, 2010

Machinegunboyo posted:

You have 2 choices.

1 Get Dolphin browser. It has flash built in but it seems to not work for everybody. Like me. But it takes secs to find out so try it first.

2nd option is to sideload in the last flash release which was for 4.0. You can google it or it may even be on androiddrawer.com (free android app repository of old releases). This method only works with the android browser. This is the approach I use and it works very well. The basic browser has a "dont sleep while browsing" option as well that is really handy.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Premier League World Feed Commentators:
Man City v. Hull: Peter Drury, Chris Waddle
Cardiff City v. Everton: Gary Taphouse, Tony Gale
Newcastle v. Fulham: David Stowell, Garry Birtles
Norwich v. Southampton: Phil Blacker, Brian Little
West Ham v. Stoke City: Joe Speight and Dean Sturridge
West Brom v. Swansea: Tony Jones and Barry Horne
Arsenal v. Tottenham: Peter Drury, David Pleat

NBC will have Arlo White and Lee Dixon doing Crystal Palace and White with Graeme Le Saux for Liverpool v. Manchester United.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Palace-Sunderland as the nationally-broadcast NBC game is going to be mouth-wateringly good

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Urgh, the AJS website is being a piece of poo poo again. I log in, then the page randomly refreshes itself and the sign in button flashes to sign out a couple of times and then I get the classic "login attempts exceeded" message.

When the thing works it's quite good, but the website is such a massive pain in the rear end that I don't think I'll resub for next month to be honest.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Arlo White used to cover darts and snooker for BBC 5 Live not too long ago. I only remember him because of his silly name. How did he get a job commentating for NBC? Good on him I guess.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Monday Bandele posted:

Arlo White used to cover darts and snooker for BBC 5 Live not too long ago. I only remember him because of his silly name. How did he get a job commentating for NBC? Good on him I guess.

He first became the radio/TV commentator for the Seattle Sounders in America. At Seattle, he became very popular with the MLS fans that when NBC got the MLS TV rights, NBC hired him to be the lead guy for their coverage. After that NBC got the Premier League rights and they felt that Arlo was good enough for them to be the lead guy for the Premier League for their coverage.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this al jazeera thing is unbelievably dench

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Think I am going to sink a months subscription into AJ this week.

I would hate to ruin this thread with tech talk but my laptop doesn't have a HDMI outlet. is there a HDMI to USB converter that will not affect the quality of the output onto my big massive telly?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Urgh, the AJS website is being a piece of poo poo again. I log in, then the page randomly refreshes itself and the sign in button flashes to sign out a couple of times and then I get the classic "login attempts exceeded" message.

When the thing works it's quite good, but the website is such a massive pain in the rear end that I don't think I'll resub for next month to be honest.

It depends on what page you click the login button. Try doing it on the Schedule page, and it shouldn't loop.

britishbornandbread posted:

Think I am going to sink a months subscription into AJ this week.

I would hate to ruin this thread with tech talk but my laptop doesn't have a HDMI outlet. is there a HDMI to USB converter that will not affect the quality of the output onto my big massive telly?

USB2 doesn't have the bandwidth to route uncompressed 1080p over it. You'll always be compromising quality when using one of those converters on USB2. Not sure about USB3 even if your laptop has it, the CPU may not be fast enough to support good quality 1080p.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
that's a shame. oh well. I can always use my laptop on its own and watch but i would have liked to put the telly to good use!

Thank you for the reply.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does the TV you want to output to support DVI/VGA? You can run it through that you just don't get sound outputting through the TV

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Weaponized Cum posted:

Free as in "I don't even have cable and I use my girlfriend's best friend's sister comcast account to watch footy" free.

Figure it out.
Yeah I use my parents Directv account (I personally don't own a TV) And it owns. NBC have blown me away.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Half-blind Hero posted:

You have 2 choices.

1 Get Dolphin browser. It has flash built in but it seems to not work for everybody. Like me. But it takes secs to find out so try it first.

2nd option is to sideload in the last flash release which was for 4.0. You can google it or it may even be on androiddrawer.com (free android app repository of old releases). This method only works with the android browser. This is the approach I use and it works very well. The basic browser has a "dont sleep while browsing" option as well that is really handy.

Thanks for this brudda. I will admit though, neither seemed to work for me. I downloaded an archived flash APK file that was for Android 4.0 and installed, but all browsers (including the Android one) still say I need flash installed. I'm real poo poo at this.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

vaginal culture posted:

Yeah I use my parents Directv account (I personally don't own a TV) And it owns. NBC have blown me away.

You are the ultimate spurs fan imo.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I only have one complaint about AJS and that's this loving Pepsi advert. Every. Single. Break. It is driving me insane.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Pipski posted:

I only have one complaint about AJS and that's this loving Pepsi advert. Every. Single. Break. It is driving me insane.
to be fair, who hasn't spontaneously gone to "ROCK Concert" after getting high on sweet sweet carmel color and corn syrup?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Pipski posted:

Yolo!

Tark
Sep 29, 2005
We had a great service in Finland by Canal+ where they had 5 HD football channels and simultaneously showed all matches + all matches on demand whenever, all for something like 10 euros a month.

This year another big channel bought rights for the prem and stopped the service entirely, and now we're at the mercy of match lottery hopefully picking the games that we want to see for the 1-2 channels they show football on. The rest will not be shown. gently caress this poo poo, buy the rights but don't show the games, good loving deal.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Pipski posted:

I like that literally only Pepsi & Ford have brought adverts, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

It's Y'Allah, isn't it? Screaming for God to put a decent drink in their hands

• Locked thread