Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Awesome. I get written up at work for roughly no reason ("someone last week complained about you. We don't know why, or who, or when exactly, but she wasn't happy. So we're giving you a written warning.") and now my roommates are kicking me out when their lease expires october 1st for no reason at all. Just great. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That sounds completely plausible.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
lovely management and fickle roommates are implausible to you? What a charmed life you have lived.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Finally tried bone marrow. Gonna have to say, that was interesting; so there's two ways to get butter from cows. Nearly a disaster when I found out the bread I made had started to mold. I'm not too proud to say that I cut the tainted parts off first because drat it I wanted to eat my marrow on garlic-rubbed bread.

Also, is there a name for the concept of deglazing a pan while you're still cooking in it, or like going from a sautee to quick braise thing? I've done it making homefries for breakfast to cook them through and then, once they're cooked down, crisp them up. Recently been trying it with broccoli and such to pick up any fond/burnt-on bits/flavor before plating. Or am I butchering the idea of cooking stuff and I should just par-boil potatoes in the first case and make a sauce in the second?

e: condolences on the job/home situation, that sucks

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 29, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Yawgmoth posted:

Awesome. I get written up at work for roughly no reason ("someone last week complained about you. We don't know why, or who, or when exactly, but she wasn't happy. So we're giving you a written warning.") and now my roommates are kicking me out when their lease expires october 1st for no reason at all. Just great. :suicide:

Blows. Hope it gets better. it will

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

You work for idiots.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jonesy posted:

Also, is there a name for the concept of deglazing a pan while you're still cooking in it, or like going from a sautee to quick braise thing? I've done it making homefries for breakfast to cook them through and then, once they're cooked down, crisp them up. Recently been trying it with broccoli and such to pick up any fond/burnt-on bits/flavor before plating. Or am I butchering the idea of cooking stuff and I should just par-boil potatoes in the first case and make a sauce in the second?
What are you doing exactly? Adding liquid to a dry pan with fond is just deglazing, even if you do it with food in there.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

That's about it, thanks! for some reason I thought deglazing meant getting removing stuff from the pan first.

Basically, the way it works out is all the fond bits go directly onto whatever veg I've got in the pan as the liquid boils off, cleaning my pan and making my food that little bit more tasty.

Although when I'm cooking homefries/breakfast potatoes, I would put in a bit of water, cover the pan and sorta steam them before cooking the liquid off and crisping them up and such.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 29, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Soo, the coworker "allergic" to curry brought ambrosia salad to the potluck.

Also, I hosed up dino.'s rice; I didn't realize it called for 4 cups of uncooked basmati and it is SOUR. :gonk: I ended up having about 6 cups of cooked rice, so I'm hoping it mellowed out a bit overnight since I can't go home and make more rice to mix in. Not that I care if my coworkers hate it. Blerg.

e: My coworker from the Caribbean sees it and is like "Salad! At least someone brought veggies, haha!" You poor, poor man. :negative:

e2: The recipe from the op of the south indian cooking thread:

dino. posted:

Lemon Rice
This is the most basic, simple version. More elaborate versions involve adding roasted nuts, curry leaves, sesame oil (the Indian kind, of course; the Chinese kind is too strong in flavour), sesame seeds, etc. I wanted this version to be the simplest possible.

• 4 cups Basmati rice
  • 2 TB canola, peanut, or sunflower oil
  • ½ tsp black mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp urad daal OR chana daal OR tuvar daal OR yellow split peas OR 1 hanful of nuts
  • 2 pinches asafoetida (if you have it; if you don’t leave it out)
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • 2 TB chopped fresh ginger
  • 3 lemons, zested and juiced
  • Salt, to taste
Cook the basmati rice according to the directions. I use a rice cooker, so I haven’t had to do it on the stove.

I checked deeper into the thread and misread dino.'s answer to the same question I had when I intially posted, it is in fact 4 cups of cooked rice. But this recipe has three lemons and what you're saying is that I should've used less than half that?

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 29, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
No, it's not four cups of uncooked rice, it's 4 cups of cooked rice.
It's about my normal amount I cook, (I cook a meal to serve 4, which is usually use 1.5 cups of uncooked rice/cous cous to give me a quantity of 4 cups after it's cooked).
Zest and juice of one lemon is not too much for 4 cups of cooked rice/cous cous

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
The recipe does say three but lemons are variable in size and tartness so you might have bigger/more sour lemons than dino uses. If it is too sour for your taste use less next time. Add the lemon one at a time and taste.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
As much as I love the guy, he posts a different version every time I think.
I have never seen the post before that says 3 lemons, though I have seen one saying the zest of one lemon and the juice of two. Edit and maybe two lemons zested and juiced...

But originally he just had one lemon.
http://altveg.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/lemon-rice-recipe.html?q=lemon

quote:

Dino's altvegan blogspot:

4 cups of long grain white rice, cooked and cooled on a plate or cookie sheet
2 tablespoons peanut, canola, or corn oil (NOT sesame oil)
1/2 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon hulled sesame seeds
2 stalks curry leaves (optional; do not ask what to substitute. If you don't have them, don't use them, full stop.)
1 handful of peanuts, cashews, or slivered almonds (optional)
1 piece of ginger, about the length of your thumb, grated (NOT peeled)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
Juice of 1 lemon + zest
Salt, to taste (I usually end up sprinkling on a generous bit with the cooking rice, but the final dish often has so much flavour that I don't even miss it when I forget to add salt)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 29, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Yeah, I'm not too bothered by it and I'll probably try again in the near future because it's very cheap to make and I could definitely see where I went wrong and how to adjust it more to my tastes next time. I'll try the blog recipe next time, thank you!

I probably shouldn't make things for the first time ever at potlucks either, lesson learned. Potluck cooking (For work at least) sucks the joy right out of me though no matter what I'm making, I don't know what it is. I should probably find a new job if I'm this bitter about cooking a simple dish for the douches.

edit: VVVVV http://allthatsleftarethecrumbs.blogspot.ca/2010/12/crab-cakes-with-lemon-yogurt-sauce.html

This person says the tang of greek yogurt in place of the mayo goes well with the crab meat, so you could probably figure out how to swap it into most recipes.

Honestly I think Greek yogurt is a worthy adversary to mayo in a lot of applications because it's healthy and really rich and creamy.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 29, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, mayo and I haven't been on the best of terms for a few years now. God knows why. I really want to make up aome crab cakes though. Any thoughts on a substitute for mayo? I don't know that the traditional subs (sour cream or yoghurt) would work out that well, but I might be wrong.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I'm a fan of using mashed avocado personally, although I don't know if it'll handle higher heat as well as mayo, so you'd probably want to bake them.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 29, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Toshimo posted:

So, mayo and I haven't been on the best of terms for a few years now. God knows why. I really want to make up aome crab cakes though. Any thoughts on a substitute for mayo? I don't know that the traditional subs (sour cream or yoghurt) would work out that well, but I might be wrong.

You ever make your own mayo? It's leaps and bounds better and a different taste from traditional, jarred, mayo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Doh004 posted:

You ever make your own mayo? It's leaps and bounds better and a different taste from traditional, jarred, mayo.

It's not a taste thing. It's a "gives me the awful shits" thing.

acco
Apr 1, 2010

Toshimo posted:

That could very easily be caused by one of the many non-mayo ingredients in commercial mayo. Unless you have similar problems with one of the base ingredients of a simple mayonnaise, I'd consider trying it worth the risk to try, but I'm not the one thats going to be stuck on the ivory throne if it still causes problems.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Toshimo posted:

This doesn't make sense at all. It's oil suspended in an egg yolk with some form of acid.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fo3 posted:

As much as I love the guy, he posts a different version every time I think.
I have never seen the post before that says 3 lemons, though I have seen one saying the zest of one lemon and the juice of two. Edit and maybe two lemons zested and juiced...

But originally he just had one lemon.
http://altveg.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/lemon-rice-recipe.html?q=lemon

I love you too, Fo3. It changes so often, because it's like one of those really /really/ basic recipes that you've made so many times that it's kind of forgiving. For me (and most of my folk), it'd be like giving a recipe for rice with furikake, or cereal and milk or something. It's such a basic thing that nailing down exact recipes for it is drat near impossible. I've had experiences in the past where I'll make the same exact version as before, but the sourness is totally different, because the lemons weren't as cooperative, if that makes sense?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
While we're on the subject, dino, what's your opinion on frozen whole curry leaves again?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

While we're on the subject, dino, what's your opinion on frozen whole curry leaves again?
Fresh if you can get em.
Freeze if you can't.

I believe.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

dino. posted:

I love you too, Fo3. It changes so often, because it's like one of those really /really/ basic recipes that you've made so many times that it's kind of forgiving. For me (and most of my folk), it'd be like giving a recipe for rice with furikake, or cereal and milk or something. It's such a basic thing that nailing down exact recipes for it is drat near impossible. I've had experiences in the past where I'll make the same exact version as before, but the sourness is totally different, because the lemons weren't as cooperative, if that makes sense?
Hi dino. :) The sourness of the rice definitely mellowed out overnight, now that it's absorbed into the rice more it's very flavourful and tangy as opposed to instant-lemonface reaction I had yesterday. My coworkers even enjoyed it and some grabbed seconds, I was really surprised! (By my coworkers, not the tastiness of your recipes.)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steakandchips posted:

Fresh if you can get em.
Freeze if you can't.

I believe.

^ That. My mother sent me huge bags full, and I threw them in the freezer as soon as they arrived. My sister-in-law prefers to dry them in the microwave, and that does have merit as well, because she does it so quickly. You nuke it for two minute increments until it's completely dried. Then, you throw it into tightly sealed containers, and put it away. Her dried ones taste just fine after a year of being on the shelf. For me, however, I like the frozen, because I find that they refresh with a bit of thawing, and then I can use them exactly like fresh (such as in dishes where you're meant to see and eat the leaves). The dried ones turn an unappetising colour, so I tend to avoid it. The taste, however, is just fine whether dried or frozen.

Nothing at all will taste like the ones you just picked from your garden a few seconds ago though.

@Clavetika: It does tend to get mellow as time goes on, which is why my sister-in-law does her utmost to see to it that every bite is eaten when I make a batch at her house. OK, that's a lie. It's because drat near everyone loves lemon rice. I talked to Casu, who says it's become a staple in his house. Whenever he has company, he'll throw on a pot of lemon rice, and watch it get /devoured/.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

dino. posted:

I talked to Casu, who says it's become a staple in his house. Whenever he has company, he'll throw on a pot of lemon rice, and watch it get /devoured/.

Yep. I make lemon rice like 3 times a week, and repeat guests request it a lot as well.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

In the future, I'll probably use one lemon if I'm planning on serving it immediately, and two lemons if it's being made in advance for something. Thanks again you guys. :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Oh man curry leaves. I love funky flavors and smells. I just couldn't take the curry leaves.Except I have no choice because there are like 7 middle-eastern weddings booked before the end of the year.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Clavietika posted:

In the future, I'll probably use one lemon if I'm planning on serving it immediately, and two lemons if it's being made in advance for something. Thanks again you guys. :)
If I had to save that rice I'd sweat some onions in some garlic confit oil and warm up the rice in that before serving. Garlic confit + lemon + onion = good and the base for all my root veg purees.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

If I had to save that rice I'd sweat some onions in some garlic confit oil and warm up the rice in that before serving. Garlic confit + lemon + onion = good and the base for all my root veg purees.

Good god that sounds delicious.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

That does sound delicious. What do you use root veg purees for? I want to try to make one and spread it on toast, but there are probably better things to do use them.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Just finished a week of eating my way across Hebei Provence in China. All of the food owned, with the exception of some tiny filet of meat(?) suspended in gelatin. It had no flavor and really seemed to serve no purpose. That seemed like a Mrs. Gunderson special. That, and chicken feet. It was my first time trying chicken feet, and I have to say, I was not a fan. No flavor, and a texture nightmare for my philistine mouth. Altogether, A+, would eat/go again. :china:

Plus, a County-level party leader bought me my very own antique copy of Mao's Little Red Book :3:.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

contrapants posted:

That does sound delicious. What do you use root veg purees for? I want to try to make one and spread it on toast, but there are probably better things to do use them.
Pretty much everything - they're a staple in high-end restaurants in Paris. When I say puree, I mean totally Vita-prep'd/Thermomix'd into oblivion so that the feeling is that of thickened cream and it behaves more like a condiment for meat than as a mash.

Like, for example, butternut squash puree + lamb (or lobster, apparently), celery root puree + ANYTHING (lamb, beef, smoked trout, sweetbreads), parsnip puree and whatever... honestly, anything that goes w/ lemon, garlic, onion and a root vegetable, which is... almost every meat. This, by the way, makes catering dinner parties really, really, really easy.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Been in Prague for a day now and have eaten quite well so far. Had some boiled beef neck with bread dumplings in a horseradish sauce earlier. Friend of the family is taking me out tonight. Last time I see him he was very much like Steve Martin character in the wild and crazy guys sketch from SNL.

Any other places that you can recommend would be awesome. I head to Frankfurt in a few days. All I know is that I have to try some doner. Not sure what else I should try there.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

antisodachrist posted:

Been in Prague for a day now and have eaten quite well so far. Had some boiled beef neck with bread dumplings in a horseradish sauce earlier. Friend of the family is taking me out tonight. Last time I see him he was very much like Steve Martin character in the wild and crazy guys sketch from SNL.

Any other places that you can recommend would be awesome. I head to Frankfurt in a few days. All I know is that I have to try some doner. Not sure what else I should try there.

I apologize for not knowing the name of the awesome place I ate, but if you come across a dish of rabbit in cream sauce with dumplings and red cabbage, order that poo poo as fast as you can. I haven't been to prague in 6 or 7 years, and I still can taste that poo poo like it's in my mouth right now. so goooddd.

also if you go to a place that serves velkopopovicky kozel beer, order the cerny - it's a dark, malty sweet beer that blew my mind one fateful day so long ago. I'd probably just die happy right now if you gave me a glass of that and the aforementioned rabbit dish.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of dying happy, I'm getting married tomorrow :)

~wish me luck goons~~ ^_^

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

mindphlux posted:

~wish me luck goons~~

maybe I'll take a photo for y'all ^_^ super excited about all our awesome food and the folks who're catering! and marrying a nice girl, I guess. ;)

Don't do it.

Congrats!! I signed the papers myself this past Monday and have the ceremony next Sat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Congrats, wedding goons! May the force be with you!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

I apologize for not knowing the name of the awesome place I ate, but if you come across a dish of rabbit in cream sauce with dumplings and red cabbage, order that poo poo as fast as you can. I haven't been to prague in 6 or 7 years, and I still can taste that poo poo like it's in my mouth right now. so goooddd.

also if you go to a place that serves velkopopovicky kozel beer, order the cerny - it's a dark, malty sweet beer that blew my mind one fateful day so long ago. I'd probably just die happy right now if you gave me a glass of that and the aforementioned rabbit dish.

Both good pieces of advice. Velkopopovicky Kozel cerne is among the best in a country that makes (and drinks) an obscene amount of great beer. Just be aware there's a slight social stigma to a man drinking dark beers - they're maltier, sweeter, and less hoppy, and considered women's beers because of that even though plenty of women drink the golden lagers. There's an urban legend that if a man drinks dark beer his breasts will grow. Same for women, really, but that's considered a good thing.

Two good places (of hundreds) to eat in Prague:

- U Fleku. Oldest continually-operating pub in the world, I think. They serve one beer that they brew themselves, same recipe they've used since the 1300s. It's not available anywhere else. The beer is excellent, worth paying higher prices and tolerating the touristy atmosphere to experience.

- U Pinkasu. Site of the first ever tapping of Pilsner Urquell, which is very low on my list of Good Czech Beers but much better on tap than it is in the States. The food here is phenomenal, especially the pork knuckle (actually lower haunch) which should be devoured skin, fat, and all. They may have that rabbit in cream sauce thing. They definitely have roasted duck with two kinds of dumplings and two kinds of cabbage, which I might just pick for my death row meal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Both good pieces of advice. Velkopopovicky Kozel cerne is among the best in a country that makes (and drinks) an obscene amount of great beer. Just be aware there's a slight social stigma to a man drinking dark beers - they're maltier, sweeter, and less hoppy, and considered women's beers because of that even though plenty of women drink the golden lagers. There's an urban legend that if a man drinks dark beer his breasts will grow. Same for women, really, but that's considered a good thing.

Two good places (of hundreds) to eat in Prague:

- U Fleku. Oldest continually-operating pub in the world, I think. They serve one beer that they brew themselves, same recipe they've used since the 1300s. It's not available anywhere else. The beer is excellent, worth paying higher prices and tolerating the touristy atmosphere to experience.

- U Pinkasu. Site of the first ever tapping of Pilsner Urquell, which is very low on my list of Good Czech Beers but much better on tap than it is in the States. The food here is phenomenal, especially the pork knuckle (actually lower haunch) which should be devoured skin, fat, and all. They may have that rabbit in cream sauce thing. They definitely have roasted duck with two kinds of dumplings and two kinds of cabbage, which I might just pick for my death row meal.

You're, uh, you're not planning on murdering anyone, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

mindphlux posted:

~wish me luck goons~~ ^_^

Congrats and best of luck fellow goon.