Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

QuarkJets posted:

It would be a very easy and basic install. You would need to reinstall the OS onto your SSD, but you should want to get rid of all of the pre-installed bloat anyway, so that's a wash.

1) Open the panel covering the drive (get a screwdriver)
2) Remove the drive
3) Put the drive in the enclosure and screw it in place
4) Unscrew the optical drive and pull it out
5) Push the enclosure into the optical bay, screw it in
6) Put your SSD in the old HDD's place
7) Install OS onto your SSD, either with an external DVD drive or a USB stick

Maybe 1-2 hours total. It's extremely easy, does not require any specialized knowledge so long as you're smart enough to be able to use a screwdriver. There are a hundred million guides online for doing this with whatever specific laptop you happen to have, too.

Here's a basic one, but I ordered the Y410 recently and I wouldn't mind a more detailed one either. It looks to be fairly simple though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Specific to the y510p, here is what I had to do to replace the stock HDD with a standard SSD (not the mSATA kind):

1) Take the battery out
2) Unscrew all the screws on the bottom
3) Take whatever is in the ultrabay slot out
4) Remove the bottom
5) Unscrew 2 screws holding down the stock HDD and the metal frame piece the stock HDD is fastened to
6) Pull the HDD and metal frame out (Note: Pull straight back until the drive is no longer connected, then lift the whole thing up and out)
7) Unscrew the HDD from the metal frame
8) Screw the SSD in the frame in its place. There is some kind of foil wraping around the stock HDD, I left it there and just screwed the SSD in with it, but I suppose you can take it out if you want
9) Snap the frame back in
10) Screw the 2 screws holding the frame in the laptop back in
11) Put the bottom back on, snap the ultrabay slot back in, and put all the other screws back in

There is no compartment specifically holding the HDD, so you have to remove the whole bottom which is annoying, but not really difficult. You could get it done in 20-30 minutes while having no clue what you are doing or 10 minutes if you have done it before and know exactly what you are doing.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."
BabyRyoga, one more question, how are the built in speakers? I walk away from my laptop a lot/ have a fan running and would still like to be able to hear the sound.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
Oh, and is the battery sealed in?

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

A) It's pretty good at managing heat as far as gaming laptops go

B) Negligibly; SLI setups run way hotter, causing the CPU to get throttled down, resulting in almost no performance gain

C) If I had my choice, I'd take the Y410P instead of the Y510P.

Thanks for the input. I didn't consider that the SLI GPUs would render the CPU to dip in performance because of the heat it generates.

The Y410P is a great contender and a single GT 750M should be able to run most modern games natively. I was thinking that the SLI GPUs will extend the life of the laptop for future games to come. Best bet is to take the misses to Fry's so she can try them out firsthand. It's a relief to hear that the Y510P (with SLI GPUs?) handles heat very well--which only means that the Y410P will do just as well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Laptop speakers all tend to suck

a_m_a_t posted:

I'm on the fence here because I've been eyeing a single graphics card y510p for a while. Since it will be my main computer, I'm worried about the screen size since I'm upgrading from a 16" laptop and I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with the smaller screen of the y410p.

I'm only planning to use it for surfing and moderate gaming (Skyrim being the game with the toughest requirements).

Also, for a non-techy person, is there a walkthrough for replacing the hard drive in this computer with an SSD?

Go into an electronics stores that has laptops on display and try the different sizes. 16" is pretty abnormally large, I'm sure you'd feel find on a 15", and a 14" isn't that much smaller

There are a hundred walkthroughs for replacing your laptop hard drive, it's really easy so long as you have a screwdriver and functioning arms

Mitsune posted:

Thanks for the input. I didn't consider that the SLI GPUs would render the CPU to dip in performance because of the heat it generates.

The Y410P is a great contender and a single GT 750M should be able to run most modern games natively. I was thinking that the SLI GPUs will extend the life of the laptop for future games to come. Best bet is to take the misses to Fry's so she can try them out firsthand. It's a relief to hear that the Y510P (with SLI GPUs?) handles heat very well--which only means that the Y410P will do just as well.

The Y150P without SLI GPUs does a decent job of handling heat. The SLI GPUs won't extend the life of the laptop specifically because they don't really provide a huge performance boost unless you're only playing for 5 minutes (IE not playing long enough for the heat from your SLI graphics to cause the entire laptop to get throttled down before it starts to melt)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 30, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Indeed, buy one of these and plug your stereo in to it. Has about a 25' line of sight range (once you pull out the useless metal weight) and ~15' range through most furniture. Most laptops worth buying these days have BT as an option. Not bad for $20, I've certainly gotten my use out of it so far. Works with phones, etc too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Indeed, buy one of these and plug your stereo in to it. Has about a 25' line of sight range (once you pull out the useless metal weight) and ~15' range through most furniture. Most laptops worth buying these days have BT as an option. Not bad for $20, I've certainly gotten my use out of it so far. Works with phones, etc too.

And if you don't have a stereo (like if you're in a hotel room or something) then I like these

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh hey, refurbished Chromebooks are on sale again

Samsung 11.6" refurbished Chromebook for $170 w/ free shipping

I don't like this one nearly as much as the last one, the hard drive is only 16GB of flash memory (whereas the Acer has a 320GB HDD)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

If you're in Australia and you're thinking of getting a T440s, this thinks they'll be available in "October".

Not seen anything for here in the states of course :smith:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Naffer posted:

A hands-on review of the 440s was posted on a german forum. Translated link:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...G-BILDER-VIDEOS

The short video showing the clickpad makes it look unbelievably bad. There's no way Lenovo would actually ship that is there?

That's a slightly different sound than what you get on the Helix's trackpad, a more rattley sound.

The one problem I have with the trackpad or its drivers is that if your finger is on the trackpad, and you press any key, it requires you to lift your finger off the trackpad before it's willing to register physical clicks. I sometimes do this when using the trackpoint mouse, and now keeping my fingers off the trackpad is becoming subconsciously learned behavior.

Edit: Apparently this doesn't happen if you set PalmCheck to the minimum behavior setting. It should allow physical clicks in all settings though.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 30, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
... Wait, there's no touchpad on the 440? I somehow managed to miss this entirely.

Jesus I thought the little ball in the center of the keyboard (I don't know its name okay) went out of fashion 8 years ago.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

The Iron Rose posted:

... Wait, there's no touchpad on the 440? I somehow managed to miss this entirely.

What. Yes there is.

The Iron Rose posted:

Jesus I thought the little ball in the center of the keyboard (I don't know its name okay) went out of fashion 8 years ago.

If it's the Lenovo version it's the TrackPoint(TM) a.k.a. nipplemouse clitmouse mousenub or pointy thingy. It's a joystick not a ball.

dcgrp
Jun 23, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Out of fashion? I hope not! I bought a personal Thinkpad because it had one of those. I use it exclusively for mousing/scrolling. I'll even go so far as to play a FPS game with it.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Naffer posted:

A hands-on review of the 440s was posted on a german forum. Translated link:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...G-BILDER-VIDEOS

The short video showing the clickpad makes it look unbelievably bad. There's no way Lenovo would actually ship that is there?

Apparently the trackpoint is now unusable. Good job Lenovo!

Soooo, has anyone experience with the Delll 64xx series?

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 30, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boner Slam posted:

Soooo, has anyone experience with the Delll 64xx series?
They're serviceable machines, but nobody buys them for their personal laptop when they have a choice of buying anything else. You only buy Dell because your company has an account with them, or you're getting some blowout deal from Slickdeals.

But if you're going Dell, get the 6xxx series, the 5xxx Latitudes are utter poo poo. Everything has been cut that can be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

But some of them have Beats!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my now old Lenovo G550 with something a bit more practical. I'd like a screen smaller than 15.6, thin and light if possible, and a decent battery life. Being able to play some last gen games would be nice too. Id love an SSD, and don't need an optical drive. Primary use is watching movies and internet poo poo. My budget maxes out at 800, but less is better of course.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Boner Slam posted:

Apparently the trackpoint is now unusable. Good job Lenovo!

It seems usable to me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Iron Rose posted:

The nipple mouse is the superior laptop input device by miles. You don't have to take your fingers off the home row for general usage, scrolling is far more natural, and I've even successfully played Starcraft and DOTA 2 with it happily.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Just found an article about the design changes on the T440s. It says that the T440s should show up in Australia in October so I hope that means the US is still on target for September.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I don't want to have to switch the sound input from my laptop speakers to my stereo ones. The sound doesn't have to be good. It just has to be loud.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If youre going to use a laptop for more than 5 minutes just buy a loving mouse

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Socrates16 posted:

I don't want to have to switch the sound input from my laptop speakers to my stereo ones. The sound doesn't have to be good. It just has to be loud.

Laptop speakers are all lovely, and there's nothing that you can do about it. You can boost them with software, but then the sound quality goes to poo poo. I mean fingers on a chalkboard kind of poo poo.

Switching the sound to bluetooth is a trivial 2-second process in most cases and it's the only way that you're going to get any real volume (that or an external speaker that you cart around)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and I was hoping to get a recommendation from the thread. I want something high end, with good gaming capabilities. Obviously I don't need it to run Metro: Last Light on super ultra 16x AA setting, but something that can play recent games and make them look good. Price range is up to $2000, give or take a couple hundred depending on if it's really worth the extra money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got the XPS12 with a 128gb SSD, because the price to upgrade was ridiculous.

It's split into about 5 partitions. If I buy my own larger SSD, how will cloning this over go? Should the partitions be scaled up or are their sizes absolute?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Requested_Username posted:

So I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and I was hoping to get a recommendation from the thread. I want something high end, with good gaming capabilities. Obviously I don't need it to run Metro: Last Light on super ultra 16x AA setting, but something that can play recent games and make them look good. Price range is up to $2000, give or take a couple hundred depending on if it's really worth the extra money.

Entry level 'gaming' laptop seems to be the Lenovo Y410P/510P. Past that you are looking at Alienware/Sager/Asus/MSI/Razer. What you need to figure out is just what size screen and how much performance you really want, and we can make recommendations.

FYI, here is my post I made earlier this month concerning my Sager NP9150

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 30, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

shrughes posted:

It seems usable to me.

The reviewer says the buttons are now no longer in a good position. Additionally if you rest your thumb on the pad, which is pretty natural while using the nipple, it sometimes does not register clicks anymore.

go3 posted:

The trackpoint is actually pretty good to use instead of a mouse, to a point where I don't really see a reason to sub a mouse.
If you do not have a trackpoint, by all means, carry your mouse along.
However the nipple has some advantages even over a real mouse, for example that you can keep your hands in perfect writing position even while using the mouse. I even used to play ego-shooters with the nipple, which works surprisingly well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

go3 posted:

Or a MacBook :lol:

In all seriousness the Lenovo trackpoint is pretty drat sweet.

Aphrodite posted:

I got the XPS12 with a 128gb SSD, because the price to upgrade was ridiculous.

It's split into about 5 partitions. If I buy my own larger SSD, how will cloning this over go? Should the partitions be scaled up or are their sizes absolute?
Recovery partitions and such can be left just fine. You'll just want to re-size the C: drive. You may have to do it twice, once really small to get it fit on the SSD and then after the clone, re-size it to the max size of free space.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

go3 posted:

Entry level 'gaming' laptop seems to be the Lenovo Y410P/510P. Past that you are looking at Alienware/Sager/Asus/MSI/Razer. What you need to figure out is just what size screen and how much performance you really want, and we can make recommendations.

17' screens seem like overkill to me, 15' seems like it'd be solid, give or take. I'd rather not get something that weighs 12 lbs and is covered in s1ck LED enhancement lights for optical gaming refraction or whatever. Colored keyboard illumination is fine of course. in terms of power it's really as much as I can get for up to $2k without being a complete and total rip off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Recovery partitions and such can be left just fine. You'll just want to re-size the C: drive. You may have to do it twice, once really small to get it fit on the SSD and then after the clone, re-size it to the max size of free space.

Why the (potential) need for the first re-size?

Also since there's only the one slot so I'm going to have to save it as an image onto an external drive and then clone it onto the new drive, if that impacts anything.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Requested_Username posted:

17' screens seem like overkill to me, 15' seems like it'd be solid, give or take. I'd rather not get something that weighs 12 lbs and is covered in s1ck LED enhancement lights for optical gaming refraction or whatever. Colored keyboard illumination is fine of course. in terms of power it's really as much as I can get for up to $2k without being a complete and total rip off.

The Sager NP8265 is probably as 'normal' looking as you will get in a 15.6" gaming laptop. Also, do not go with AMD graphics.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
From the above article on the T440s:

quote:

The difference between the TrackPoint on the ThinkPad T440s than on previous models is the lack of physical left- and right-click buttons. These buttons are now logically mapped onto the touchpad, which is a large, single button.

Ugh, I was looking forward to this as my potential new laptop (to replace an older thinkpad), but this is almost a deal breaker. Ill be waiting to see first hand reviews, I guess.

Blurb
Jul 1, 2007

go3 posted:

The Sager NP8265 is probably as 'normal' looking as you will get in a 15.6" gaming laptop. Also, do not go with AMD graphics.

Seems to me bang for buck this is probably the best off the shelf mid priced gaming laptop around at the moment too. Placing an order tonight.

* spelling *

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

drk posted:

From the above article on the T440s:

Ugh, I was looking forward to this as my potential new laptop (to replace an older thinkpad), but this is almost a deal breaker. Ill be waiting to see first hand reviews, I guess.

Do they have tap-to-click? I don't like having to touch the actual button in the pad until you hear the 'click', I just like tapping on it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

go3 posted:

I'm a little new to xoticPC, does the "No Operating System Standard - Drivers (Windows 7 & 8) + Utility Software Only" option mean that I need to install my own OS on it when it arrives?

e: also, is RAID storage worth it and if so, should I use RAID-0 or RAID-1?

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 30, 2013

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand the difference between MSATA and SATA.

I have 2.5 inch SSD that I bought for my desktop PC some time ago. I have it connected via a (I think) regular SATA cable.

Can I use that drive on a laptop that has an MSATA connection or will I need a special adapter or a whole new drive?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I don't understand the difference between MSATA and SATA.

I have 2.5 inch SSD that I bought for my desktop PC some time ago. I have it connected via a (I think) regular SATA cable.

Can I use that drive on a laptop that has an MSATA connection or will I need a special adapter or a whole new drive?

mSATA drives are a much smaller form factor and use a different connector.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So while we're waiting for more Haswell HD5000+ laptops to come out, what do we think the low-end price point is going to be on these initially? More than $1k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is in the OP:

quote:

A word on upgrading your wifi
Buy it.

intel advanced wifi ultimate vs advanced
6300 - 802.11 a/g/n http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...-6300-brief.pdf

6205 - 802.11 a/b/g/n http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...-6205-brief.pdf

Why?

I have an Intel Centrino 2100 or something like that. I just pulled a 22ms ping, 33.77 down and 9.45 up off of speedtest.net.

Why should I upgrade?