Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

My vote is to ask Tudiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Voting H B

Tudiya will be honest and straight with us, he respects us enough I think to not lie to us about that.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Due to the delay, voting remains open till I get home in a few hours.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I vote that we take Danal, all the dogs and the (nameless?) monkey and join the Circus! We will be the Royal Zepathian Dog Show and Extravaganza! The audience will not understand our flute playing, but the dogs will love it.

How does Monkey react to the flute?

Edit: we should find an appropriate canine mount for Monkey.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 30, 2013

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. H We don't need charity. We can earn our freedom!
2. B Straight from the horse's mouth!

I also think we should do S in private, because it's funny.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
ask mom

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
H B

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
1. B
2. B

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Recap of questions answered between the main update:

To answer questions about your mother and flute:

Your mother is still a cook, a servant, but a free woman. Her job keeps her busy, but she seems happy. Snarls Barkley seems pretty fond of her as well. You see her during your many trips to the kitchen for your six or so daily meals. She works for Keza, a slave who commands all the servants and slaves in Tudiya's home who has been working her harder as a consequence of her hatred for you but your mother does not complain and does her best to hide Keza's abuse.

Your mother still on a regular basis expresses to you how happy she is that the two of you are finally safe, that you escaped Athar and are now in civilization.

You have not spent much time practicing with your flute, magical or mundane. The magical flute still lets you play masterpieces but for a reason you have yet to figure out, you cannot play such wonders in front of others. It works fine on your dog.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

poo poo. Practice your drat flute.

Question: Who knows the most about prophecies, voices, magic, magic items, angels? I want to know who we can ask about the flute, sandals, the night we got them, and the voices we heard.
Tudiya, Ishamal and Zebaneth all seem to be pretty on the ball about more than strictly mundane matters, Tudiya and Ishamal both having demonstrated more than strictly human abilities and Zebaneth leading a temple.

Ishamal is said to be the oldest man in the city. Bareen is a woman in a patriarchal society and runs the smaller temple of the Melachim in the city, she is abnormally tall for a woman and "old" despite not looking old, she may also be a good source.

There are a number of fortune tellers, potion gawkers and charm sellers in the city but their reliability is unclear, you have never actually tried their wares.

Question 2: Anything different about our magic sandals? Still muddy?
Still muddy. Still supremely comfortable.

They have grown with the size of your feet.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Actually. Do we know when is the age of manhood in this place?

You do. It is 16.

How good a fighter is Bareen?
Bareen has sparred with Barkof. She lost, but she was able to keep pace with him for a time. Swordplay rings out with great regularity from the yard beside the Temple of the Melachim. She generally beats "normal men" who show up.

Do the Melachim temple often go out on expeditions?

They go once or twice a year, sometimes skipping a year here and there. They frequently do not come back. Sometimes they do, with monster skulls and treasure to show for their efforts. Their temple is decorated with trophies of their victories, dedicated to whatever Melachim they think guided them to victory that day.

Can we ask Tudiya / the high priest why he lives so long?
You once, shortly after you met him, asked Tudiya why he was so tall. He told you it was because the "Blood of Labaras". It is no secret that the descendants of Labaras are especially large, long lived and sometimes have powers such as the sorts you may have seen used, even if you did not understand them.

Best. Footwear. Ever.

So the sandals will prevent our feet from ever getting sore, right?

Question: Do we we still get tired if we run or job with the sandals on?
You do. However you do not tire from walking while wearing them.

Life has been good to you, but one thing has increasingly been on your mind and troubling you. You have learned what a servant is and what a slave is.

A servant is a poor person who works for rich people and is paid by having a place to live and food.

A slave is a person owned by another. Some are taken in war. Some are made slaves to pay off debts, for a time or for their whole lives. Some people are made slaves as a punishment for crimes or to repay their victims or famillies. Some people are born slaves and some people who are descended from slaves, are free. Most slaves work in the fields, or make bricks but not every slave is a laborer. There are slaves who are skilled craftsmen, scribes, a few who are priests at the Temple of the Melachim and some who are merchants, who go to other cities and return. Some are even given command over free servants, such as Keza, a slave.

Yet slaves owe all of their time to their masters, no matter how gentle, they can only wed at their masters leave and may lose their own children. Few masters would kill their slaves, for even laborers are valuable livestock, but that does not mean every slave is gently treated. For every scribe who does his masters accounts, there are dozens more sweltering beneath the heat in the fields. On one occasion you saw a slave who struck his master brought before Tudiya as he sat upon the King's Seat in the market. Tudiya questioned the slave and learned that the slave struck his master, a foul man with a bad reputation who was pointlessly brutalizing another slave. Once he confirmed that the slave before him had struck his master, Tudiya had the slave put to death and then, took all of the man's slaves from him and fined him as well.

What, are you?

The loss of your freedom... The idea that you ARE a slave has caused you increasingly to worry. You have not yet worked up the courage to ask any of the adults in your life and some days as you watch Tudiya oversee disputes in the market, you have even gone over arguments in your mind, to try to argue that if you ARE a slave, you should not be!

Finally, you ask your mother. At first she changes the topic, but you keep at it and finally get an answer out of her.

She gives you a hug, places a hand on each of your shoulders and sighs. "I do not know Sweetling. I think you may be, but what of it? Has Tudiya been unkind to you, or Danal? Aren't you happy here? Danal is a little boy now Sweetling, but he will not be forever and he will have need of you, even when he is a man. You are almost a man sweetling, what do you want out of life?"

Question 1: Well, what do you say to your mother in response?

A. Fill in. What do you want out of life? You can even fill this in an skip the list if you want to!
B. I want to be a fisherman!
C. I want to be a farmer
D. I want to one of the Mighty Men, like Barkof and Aaron!
E. I want to be king!
F. I want to be a smith!
H. I want to be a scribe!
I. I have a magical flute even if you don't believe me and I want to be a musician!
J. I want to be a wildman like Enkidu!
K. I want to be a priest!
L. I want to go home to Athar! (The village)
M. I want to be a hero like from the stories!
N. I want to be a great explorer like Zepa, grandson of Labaras, the founder of Zepath and see the world!
O. I want to be a traveling monster slayer!
P. I want to go convert the people of Athar to El and save them from Asherah!
Q. I want to be an advisor to Danal when he is king!
R. I want to serve Danal when he is king, but I do not know how.
S. I want to serve Tudiya.

Question 2: Do you want to ask anyone else if you are a slave?

A. No. You have thought about it further or been calmed down by your mothers words and do not care anymore.
B. Yes. Tudiya.
C. Yes. Keza.
D. Yes. Ishamal.
E. Yes. Danal.
F. Yes. Zebanetha, the High Priest of El.
G. Yes. Bareen, the High Priestess of the Temple of the Melachim. They are friendly to slaves
H. Barkof.
I. Aaron.
J. Naomi, Danal's slightly older than you sister.
K. Yes. Rathal, Danal's old sister.
L. Yes. Snarls Barkley.
M. Yes. El. Pray for an answer.
N. Yes. A Melachim, aka a Sky Giant, pray for guidance, they help people in trouble!
O. Yes. Asherah. Pray.
P. Try something else. Fill in.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 5, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think P for number 1 actually puts us into several categories here. It means we want to be hero, priest, monster slayer, and travel back to Athar. It may also mean we wish to be like the wild Enkidu and travel after we have completed our task, and in the solitude of the journey we may play our magic flute to our heart's content or further refine our natural ability at it.

Vote icons here: http://imgur.com/a/2q3kU

eta: Oh, hey, QRS didn't appear to be options when I voted. Adviser to Danal and Tudiyah would also be cool, maybe that after we have done our thing in Athar? Or use that to do our thing.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 31, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
1. 2.

Exploring sounds cool. Founding a city would probably allow us to be a King, as well, if we ever did that. As for 2, go straight to the top, get the answer.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Voting ditto.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
D

A

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
P and L. I think Snarls understands this situation far better than us. He is a very clever dog, after all.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
N the world is so much larger than we had ever imagined. Currently I don't think this conflicts with R and may in fact be a way to serve Danal. I don't see why this wouldn't be the case. We don't really have 'ambition' to gain this and that, but do have a lot of curiosity and a 'moral compass' (thanks for the beatings Dad). This is one of the ways we might be different.

F Zeb is ancient. He has never cared where we were from or that we were different. He will give us a straight answer, some good counsel, and maybe even a rockin' story related to our situation, whatever that may turn out to be.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

N + G. Our trip to the city made a big impression on us, and we want to go forth and seek the open road once more (becoming a mighty hero along the way, natch). Besides, as much as we love Danal and our Mother, we will always be made to feel different here and know the city cannot ever truly be our home (or at least that's what our current adolescent angst tells us).

Also, G because if the Melachim are friendly to slaves, they're probably waaaay more likely to help us figure out a legal loophole if we are in fact enslaved.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
1:A. "That's just it, mother: I want to be able to choose what I want to be!"

2:P, ask the townsfolk, and ask them why. Enkidel may be a slave. The people may generally agree. But why should Enkidel be a slave? Do they have any reason that cannot be refuted? If Enkidel is going to present a case for freedom to Tudiya, he'd better have a good understanding of the opposing arguments and preperation to make a case for why he doesn't conform to their reasoning.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Q, B Let's get this straight from the source.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. N
2. L

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1. N
2. M

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
You guys really want to seek legal guidance from god?! Ya'll know he's just gonna plead the fifth.

Tudiya has never lied to us, always made time for us, and treated us like adults. Let's just ask him directly if we are a slave. While we're at it we can have a discussion about the flute.

I think we should say:
1:S. I want to serve Tudiya.... But I want it to be my choice to serve him!
2:B. Take this talk to Tudiya.

The temple of Melachim may be 'friendly' to slaves from our perspective but this could mean they are only treated to good rations and sleeping quarters. I already envision Bareen maybe unfairly using the slaves as soldiers and worship fuel to keep herself powerful and youthful. She likely has no reason or desire to free slaves. I not saying don't talk to her just to be careful, Tudiya has his reasons to hate her and the temple and they may be more than WRONG GODS.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. N
2. A

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
M: Hero from the stories. This is vague enough. Who knows what we want to be yet.
B: Ask Tudiya: Just ask the actual guy who decides anyway.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Question 1: I don't know. I think Enkindel's life has been too hectic and unguided for him to have decided on a path he wants specifically to take. All he knows is that his life involves heroes and monsters and stories. I want to say he'd go with M, I guess, be a hero, as that leaves him most likely to have an interesting life, but I don't really know if he's all that eager; it's great to play at adventures, but how much do we really want to tangle with Asherah again? I think Enkindel just wants to have a life full of discovery, he's fascinated by all that's out there. Hell, he's even got those great sandals for walking around exploring. Well hell, actually, I guess I've just found the answer: N, Explorer.

I may shift that to Not-P later on though, I'm unsure. While I think explorer is suitable, I'm much more certain P is the last thing he'd want to do. Anything like returning to Asherah's domain of influence is going to scare the poo poo out of him, and even if we did want to return to 'help' our people (which I'm not sure we would, I'm not convinced Enkindel would really think his people have it all that bad, it was only he himself who got beaten a lot, everyone else was pretty chill), I don't see why we'd want to do it as a missionary for El, who I think we are grateful towards, and believe in, but not necessarily any more strongly than any other deity.

Question 2: Well, I didn't really want to ask anyone, but now that we have, and have determined we are indeed curious, I think we'd better just man up and take it straight to the king. B: Take it to Tudiya. Nobody will know our status better, and I think we'll gain some pretty decent King-points by being bold and straightforward; we want an answer, we get it, no mucking about, tiptoeing to our mummy or whispering to other servants.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1: A. "That's just it, mother: I want to be able to choose what I want to be!"
2: B

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

D, B

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Come on, how can anyone be voting for anything else? This puts us dead center in the conflict between the powers. It lets us go home, but go home with power rather than as a beggar. We've been pretty consistent in saying that we aren't sure exactly what we believe and we are willing to entertain the idea that many powers may exist, but we absolutely know that Asherah is bad news. We were saved from the insatiable hunger of Asherah by the followers of El, and that was unquestionably a good thing.

Why go hunt random monsters when there is a big bad preying on thousands of people right now? People who don't even know that they can ask El for help, and think they have no choice but to sacrifice their own to appease the beast.

B. If even our mom doesn't know, the only one who knows for sure is the king. May as well go to the source.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Come on, how can anyone be voting for anything else? This puts us dead center in the conflict between the powers. It lets us go home, but go home with power rather than as a beggar. We've been pretty consistent in saying that we aren't sure exactly what we believe and we are willing to entertain the idea that many powers may exist, but we absolutely know that Asherah is bad news. We were saved from the insatiable hunger of Asherah by the followers of El, and that was unquestionably a good thing.

Why go hunt random monsters when there is a big bad preying on thousands of people right now? People who don't even know that they can ask El for help, and think they have no choice but to sacrifice their own to appease the beast.

B. If even our mom doesn't know, the only one who knows for sure is the king. May as well go to the source.

I agree, but the time for us to hunt down Asherah shall come. Perhaps after we've explored some, and become a famed adventurer, we can take back Athar and make that the spot we build our great city.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
2. B

I want to ask the king if we are a slave.
If we are then we need to ask the king to let us become a traveling monster hunting slave.
We need to be eating demon/monster hearts left right and center.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Angela Christine posted:

we absolutely know that Asherah is bad news.

Do we? How's that? I mean, yes, alright, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you; Asherah is bad news, but so is a hurricane, or a tsunami. I think it's just as justified to view Asherah as a fact of life when living near/on the ocean. It's been pretty clear that there's no real Asherah 'worship', outside of the rites of a select few priests, it's essentially just hope Asherah remains dormant and doesn't eat you, and pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back to fishing after it inevitably does wreck some poo poo.

More to the point though, what's even meant by 'converting' our people? Sucks that people are presumably sacrificed to Asherah, if they are, in order to keep him from devouring everybody, but aside from moving away it doesn't really seem like there's much to do. If our people want to continue living by the sea, they're going to continue living with Asherah; maybe we can convince them to move away, but what about those that don't want to? Are we going to forceably relocate them? Simply 'converting' them to El worship, and leaving them where they are, seems just to be guaranteeing that they'll be feeding Asherah sooner rather than later.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty sure the whole HUNGER thing isn't a good sign. The obvious answer would be to become a hero and rip Asherah's fins off and feed them to him. Or we could forget those losers and be a King's viceroy.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Do we? How's that? I mean, yes, alright, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you; Asherah is bad news, but so is a hurricane, or a tsunami. I think it's just as justified to view Asherah as a fact of life when living near/on the ocean. It's been pretty clear that there's no real Asherah 'worship', outside of the rites of a select few priests, it's essentially just hope Asherah remains dormant and doesn't eat you, and pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back to fishing after it inevitably does wreck some poo poo.

More to the point though, what's even meant by 'converting' our people? Sucks that people are presumably sacrificed to Asherah, if they are, in order to keep him from devouring everybody, but aside from moving away it doesn't really seem like there's much to do. If our people want to continue living by the sea, they're going to continue living with Asherah; maybe we can convince them to move away, but what about those that don't want to? Are we going to forceably relocate them? Simply 'converting' them to El worship, and leaving them where they are, seems just to be guaranteeing that they'll be feeding Asherah sooner rather than later.

That's an awfully defeatist attitude for an entity we don't know much about, other than it's a cannabilistic fishgod thing. Considering Ishamal literally beat the Asherah out of us, I think it's safe to say that Asherah can be fought. Also keep in mind that if all the ocean/sea of the world is Asherah's, than the coastal cities of El's people still exist and operate without feeding Asherah. If they aren't, then that's a pretty clear sign that Asherah isn't really that absolute.

Either way, aiming high isn't a bad thing. We can explore the world while seeking weaknesses to Asherah, to save the likes of Uncle Jorah.

I guess what I'm saying is we need to do the impossible and kill a fishgod. Let's loving do this poo poo and aim high. If it's a stupid, childish fantasy let's make our stupid childish fantasy something that is badass as opposed to a generic "I want to be a hero."

eta: For in character reasons, we are Enkidel the reborn wild man Enkidu. We were named by the divine king Tudiyah of Zepath, who cut our hair and anointed us. We have felt the hunger of the demon-god Asherah, and we have fought it. We have received visions from El (or some other entity at least). We have journeyed when we should not have been able to, we have entered a magical dimension and taken treasure when we were but a child. We have, through sheer force of will and presence, cowed a prince and led him onto a righteous path.

We can kill this fucker, and we will kill this fucker.

eta2: We also have a dog that did the impossible and poo poo on Keza's ceiling.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 1, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

SerSpook posted:

That's an awfully defeatist attitude for an entity we don't know much about, other than it's a cannabilistic fishgod thing. Considering Ishamal literally beat the Asherah out of us, I think it's safe to say that Asherah can be fought. Also keep in mind that if all the ocean/sea of the world is Asherah's, than the coastal cities of El's people still exist and operate without feeding Asherah. If they aren't, then that's a pretty clear sign that Asherah isn't really that absolute.

Either way, aiming high isn't a bad thing. We can explore the world while seeking weaknesses to Asherah, to save the likes of Uncle Jorah.

I guess what I'm saying is we need to do the impossible and kill a fishgod. Let's loving do this poo poo and aim high. If it's a stupid, childish fantasy let's make our stupid childish fantasy something that is badass as opposed to a generic "I want to be a hero."

eta: For in character reasons, we are Enkidel the reborn wild man Enkidu. We were named by the divine king Tudiyah of Zepath, who cut our hair and anointed us. We have felt the hunger of the demon-god Asherah, and we have fought it. We have received visions from El (or some other entity at least). We have journeyed when we should not have been able to, we have entered a magical dimension and taken treasure when we were but a child. We have, through sheer force of will and presence, cowed a prince and led him onto a righteous path.

We can kill this fucker, and we will kill this fucker.

Heh, I've nothing against the idea that we might, eventually, find a way to fight Asherah. It's not the path I personally think Enkindel should or would be motivated by, but it's not in itself outrageous. It's the idea that we might just 'go convert our people to El', and everything'll be super, easy as that, that bothers me. If, in exploring the world, we start to see more potential avenues, then maybe we're talking.

As to a couple of other points: are there coastal cities of El? It's a good point I hadn't thought of, actually; pretty sure Diogenes has mentioned there being fishermen and the like around Zepath, so you're right, obviously there are areas where Asherah doesn't constantly lurk. That being said, convincing our people to move somewhere else might not be that much easier, and we don't know if Asherah wouldn't just follow at that point, endangering even more people. Maybe he wouldn't, but until we do know better, it doesn't seem like a terribly sensible course of action.

Asherah can be resisted, certainly, but is he going to, at this point, seem like the sort of thing that can or should be fought, to Enkindel? I'm personally not overwhelmed by Ishamal's feat of strength in saving us from Asherah; certainly he managed something fantastic, but managing to loosen Asherah's grip on us, which was held through a tenuous link we barely grasped, through a tooth and some blood, miles and miles from the ocean, with what seemed to be the direct aid of some sort of divine intermediary, well, that's a far cry from fighting Asherah itself. In character, we didn't fight Asherah, we were snatched, barely, from his jaws while being helplessly and terrifyingly flung through the air, powerless to do anything about it. That seems more like the sort of thing we'd never want to experience again. God, apparently, couldn't 'kill this fucker', merely banish or wound him, I don't think we ought to be chomping at the bit to give it another shot.

So yeah, it's not the idea of eventually coming up against Asherah that I have any qualms with. It's the idea that Enkindel, now, would see heading off to vaguely 'convert' his people to El, and antagonizing Asherah, as his motivation and ultimate goal, instead of a crazy and terrifying notion that's pretty much the equal of getting himself and everybody else he knows eaten.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Heh, I've nothing against the idea that we might, eventually, find a way to fight Asherah. It's not the path I personally think Enkindel should or would be motivated by, but it's not in itself outrageous. It's the idea that we might just 'go convert our people to El', and everything'll be super, easy as that, that bothers me. If, in exploring the world, we start to see more potential avenues, then maybe we're talking.

As to a couple of other points: are there coastal cities of El? It's a good point I hadn't thought of, actually; pretty sure Diogenes has mentioned there being fishermen and the like around Zepath, so you're right, obviously there are areas where Asherah doesn't constantly lurk. That being said, convincing our people to move somewhere else might not be that much easier, and we don't know if Asherah wouldn't just follow at that point, endangering even more people. Maybe he wouldn't, but until we do know better, it doesn't seem like a terribly sensible course of action.

Asherah can be resisted, certainly, but is he going to, at this point, seem like the sort of thing that can or should be fought, to Enkindel? I'm personally not overwhelmed by Ishamal's feat of strength in saving us from Asherah; certainly he managed something fantastic, but managing to loosen Asherah's grip on us, which was held through a tenuous link we barely grasped, through a tooth and some blood, miles and miles from the ocean, with what seemed to be the direct aid of some sort of divine intermediary, well, that's a far cry from fighting Asherah itself. In character, we didn't fight Asherah, we were snatched, barely, from his jaws while being helplessly and terrifyingly flung through the air, powerless to do anything about it. That seems more like the sort of thing we'd never want to experience again. God, apparently, couldn't 'kill this fucker', merely banish or wound him, I don't think we ought to be chomping at the bit to give it another shot.

So yeah, it's not the idea of eventually coming up against Asherah that I have any qualms with. It's the idea that Enkindel, now, would see heading off to vaguely 'convert' his people to El, and antagonizing Asherah, as his motivation and ultimate goal, instead of a crazy and terrifying notion that's pretty much the equal of getting himself and everybody else he knows eaten.

Keep in mind though this isn't actually going off and doing that right now. This is just a question of what we'd like to one day do. Is it really that absurd that we'd want to free people like Uncle Jorah? We know Shushem was an rear end, and we know the people of the village treated us poorly (though the people of Zepath also tend to, at least at times), but ultimately we still had people like not-mom and Uncle Jorah, perhaps more Jalithas being held out there (that's not likely but possible). Uncle Pagam was also cool.

I think Enkidel, one day, would very much like to save people like this. Would he be scared? Yes, but honestly it's roughly the same thing as being a hero or traveling. I think while journeying, Enkidel would specifically be trying to find things that could harm Asherah, or limit his influence.

I don't particularly care about the converting to El thing, though I certainly think it's one strategy to killing fishgod. He needs to eat, and if his people stop feeding him it might weaken him.

eta: We're also 13 and approaching adulthood. Aim high, even if we can never do it it'll push us to greatness. By trying to kill fishgod we're basically going to be trying to do everything, which I think ultimately leads to a more interesting story here.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 1, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also, if we defeat Asherah we might be able to gain dominion of the coast and one day fulfill that old pirate king ambition that was the rationale for so many behind picking Athar in the first place.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Q. Be an advisor to Danal if that doesn't conflict. I'm cool with converting the Atharites to El too.
B. Ask Tudiya about slavendom. Get a straight answer from the top.
Ask: "What am I, in the city of Zepath, when I reach manhood?" not "Am I a slave?" cause we don't want to give anyone the idea. Maybe say "I respect you and wish well for Danal in his future and to serve Zepath wisely with important matters."

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Also, if we defeat Asherah we might be able to gain dominion of the coast and one day fulfill that old pirate king ambition that was the rationale for so many behind picking Athar in the first place.

And my own ambition of founding a city. We will be Pirate City, and our gate will be the skull of Asherah like Zepath's is the skull of a dragon.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

SerSpook posted:

Is it really that absurd that we'd want to free people like Uncle Jorah?

Storywise, I think it's nice to have goals.

If we have people trying to RP and play this straight, then I think it's a weird thing to be arguing about. How do you "free" them? Are they really slaves? If so, what or who are they enslaved to? Asherah? I'm not so sure that we'd see that as slavery any more than these people are slaves to El.

Besides, our few experiences with Asherah would seem to pretty firmly cement him in at least "demigod" category. What kid really thinks "I'm going to go overthrow that demigod that I grew up with?" That would be pretty extraordinary, like a 13-year-old kid seriously plotting to overthrow the US government or something -- and that modern kid would have had examples, etc. to know that it was at least doable and how other people had done similar things.

Killing or overthrowing a demigod? I'm not convinced we'd think of that. You might as well say "I want water to be less wet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Shushem frequently mentioned that we are all slaves to Asherah, yes? That seems to reveal the attitude that the people of Athar have.

We might not know it's doable, but we don't know that it's not, and we have seen Asherah resisted or thwarted a few times. 13 year olds also ten to trend towards recklessness. It really isn't out of character to want to do this in the slightest, in my personal opinion.