Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

nasboat posted:

am I crazy or was the original Streetlight THTT bundle supposed to come with an autographed piece of artwork (maybe just the album cover) by Tomas?

Kinda. I dont think the poster was signed but i still would have liked mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Have they announced what the "special gift" is yet for all of us who gave the money to the band instead of asking for a refund?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Volt Catfish posted:

Have they announced what the "special gift" is yet for all of us who gave the money to the band instead of asking for a refund?

Not yet. I'm going to pretend it's a second BotAR EP.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

It's totally just gonna be whatever extra posters they got laying around.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jeff Summer song #4 is out, email that came with it was pretty funny, song is good too.

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~

Volt Catfish posted:

They said they'll be announcing it soon on their Facebook page.

Streetlight Manifesto posted:

And for all those awaiting the special gift from the pre-orders - we are going to announce what it is and when we'll be sending it soon. Hold your head high and tell your local postman or postwoman "Hello - pretty soon we'll have some business, you and I."

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

lessthankyle posted:

I still think a kickstarter to buy LTJ train tickets out of Gainesville is the way to go.

1. We're really leaving town this time, for real!

There is a very very small chance that I'll get to go see Streetlight in Chicago. I hope my schedule works out. It just happens to be I'm planning a trip around that time to Chicago..

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8XoQsX4aWU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Bah, doesn't even say who's opening.

Not that I live in Boston to begin with.

Nor am I much of a Bosstone fan, outside of Pay Attention.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
get out

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I like The Impression That I Get and Someday I Suppose. :shrug:

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

MondayHotDog posted:

I like The Impression That I Get and Someday I Suppose. :shrug:

Grandmaster.flv posted:

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
They don't really fit the ska bill anymore, but I feel like I have to say that I am deeply impressed with The Aquabats in the last few years and while I already loved their material they have rocketed to being one of my favorite bands of all time. They were in a rough spot a little over a decade ago, losing members left and right and couldn't seem to get a solid release out or in a time frame they wanted, as well as every time there was a hint of a TV show falling on its face.

Now they have a pretty successful show that's fun for all ages, have more control over their own career than ever before, and frankly I think their last album, though wacky and unopposing at first, stands up as some of their best material and I can't wait to see what these guys do in the next couple years.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I don't understand why they just didn't get another trumpet player instead of ditching the horn section entirely and going to rock.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Most likely because it was the direction they were headed in anyway. Even on Floating Eye some of the songs didn't have horns at all, or when they did it's something that would have worked fine with a synth line. It's the same reason Boingo didn't use the horns on their last album, if the songs just don't call for it then don't try to force them in.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I'm glad that I get to see the Bosstones next weekend. I would love to attend a Throwdown one year but not happening this year. Frankly, I don't get the Bosstones hate at all. They've been one of my favorite bands for years and put on an excellent show last summer in Philly.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
One of the nights of Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare here is featuring Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, & "Special Guests". I have my fingers crossed it's Suburban Legends.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I really wish I could get back into Suburban Legends, but I just miss Tim's voice too much.

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of Spring Heeled Jack, I'm enjoying the fact that they are yet another band that decided to do a reunion show and are now touring a bunch. C'mon Slow Gherkin, :getin:

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Lieutenant Dan posted:

One of the nights of Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare here is featuring Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, & "Special Guests". I have my fingers crossed it's Suburban Legends.

Maybe Special Guests means a Goldfinger that doesn't suck.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Olibu posted:

Maybe Special Guests means a Goldfinger that doesn't suck.

i went to a free goldfinger show years ago and they played both superman and their cover of 99 red balloons in the first 10 minutes and then i went home because thats all i cared to see

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
They're one of those bands that Missed The Point as to why they got popular. Like, sure, you don't have to cater to fans, but if there's a reason you got some popularity maybe try sticking with it.

Like I Voted For Kodos. Pretty average ska-punk band but I thought their first album and EP had some fun tracks, a couple love ballads to other ska bands, and a slight variation into other genres a few times. Then they said gently caress it and went synth-pop faster and much less graciously than The Hippos or The Aquabats did.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Why did Suburban Legends switch to Vince as their newer singer, anyway? I think he does a decent job, but I've always wondered.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Olibu posted:

Like I Voted For Kodos. Pretty average ska-punk band but I thought their first album and EP had some fun tracks, a couple love ballads to other ska bands, and a slight variation into other genres a few times. Then they said gently caress it and went synth-pop faster and much less graciously than The Hippos or The Aquabats did.

I couldn't disagree more. I think their first album is kinda boring, the EP is quite good, and My New Obsession is one of my favorite albums of all time. But pop-punk with synths and keyboards is my favorite genre of music.

I've never listened to the Hippos, are they any good?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

MondayHotDog posted:

I couldn't disagree more. I think their first album is kinda boring, the EP is quite good, and My New Obsession is one of my favorite albums of all time. But pop-punk with synths and keyboards is my favorite genre of music.

"Forget The World" is a good album, I think my favorite song off of it is Please. I also like "Heads Are Gonna Roll", but FTW is probably more ska.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

MondayHotDog posted:

To be honest, I probably need to give My New Obsession a new listen, a fresh chance. I'm not saying IV4K were great by any stretch, but I did like the occasional breach of genre entirely (a core song on the first album, a 6-minute soft rock track on the EP) and felt like they had just gone a little too far in the change. Which is weird, because I'm normally all for change and evolution.

ObsidianBeast said it pretty well. Heads Are Gonna Roll is simply one of the best albums in the genre, but they had added in more keyboards and started subtracting the ska a bit.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

MondayHotDog posted:

But pop-punk with synths and keyboards is my favorite genre of music.

Listen to the Hippos.

Also, ska is really my favorite genre but synth pop-punk is a pretty close second. The first two Motion City Soundtrack albums were loving incredible, it really is a shame they suck now. Houston Calls breaking up sucks as well

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Summer Song #5 is out, and it's 7 minutes and 33 seconds! Sounds good so far.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Why did Suburban Legends switch to Vince as their newer singer, anyway? I think he does a decent job, but I've always wondered.
Tim left to be more active in his family, and Vince just filled the roll I guess. :shrug:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

Summer Song #5 is out, and it's 7 minutes and 33 seconds! Sounds good so far.

I got my 7" in the mail today. It's on translucent green vinyl. I have no way of listening to it, I just bought it to support my favorite musician and also for the bonus tracks. Maybe I'll give it to my friend who collects records. That's what I did with my Vacation vinyl (I wanted the t-shirt).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There's really no way to still buy that Summer Club stuff huh? Really bummed I missed on it

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Hat Thoughts posted:

There's really no way to still buy that Summer Club stuff huh? Really bummed I missed on it

To be brutally honest, you're not missing out on too much. His recent solo stuff isn't nearly as good as BTMI! or ASOB.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MondayHotDog posted:

To be brutally honest, you're not missing out on too much. His recent solo stuff isn't nearly as good as BTMI! or ASOB.

MCI is loving amazing, though. It really does sound like a Dillinger Four b-side as covered by BtMI. Just strip the glockenspiel out and you're good to go.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
After action report on the Shindig in Baltimore:

The Bosstones were stone cold professionals as always. I'm sad their set couldn't be longer but they picked great songs for the time they had. Opening with "Old School Off the Bright" was an excellent choice on their part. Even with only an hour on stage Dicky still took the time to introduce every member of the band which no other act, except Joan Jett, did at the festival.

I never thought I'd see Joan Jett with the Bosstones in the same place on the same day but the Blackhearts were awesome. Joan still has a great voice and a ton of energy that all gets conveyed into the audience.

The Dropkick Murphys were ok. Once upon a time they were my favorite band but I didn't know any of the new material they played and could only recognize four or five songs out of their set. I still don't think they sound very good live. They did call the Bosstones their "older brothers" though which won points with me.

All in all the show as a lot of fun, prices were reasonable for a festival, and the line up was eclectic but very good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am super mad I couldn't go to that. I live here and it would have been perfect. And yet, they decided to hold it on Yom Kippur, the one day I absolutely could not swing it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guppy posted:

I am super mad I couldn't go to that. I live here and it would have been perfect. And yet, they decided to hold it on Yom Kippur, the one day I absolutely could not swing it.

This is why I didn't/couldn't go to Roit Fest this year. Last year it was on Rosh Hashanah, which I could at least get away with, but...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
ANOTHER new summer song hit. Haven't listened to it yet, though. Personally I've been really enjoying the summer songs, they sound fairly similar to I Look Like poo poo, so I think if you enjoyed those songs you'd enjoy Summer.

E: And if you hate Eastern Coast or MCI then you hate fun.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 17, 2013

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Hobbit posted:

After action report on the Shindig in Baltimore:

The Bosstones were stone cold professionals as always. I'm sad their set couldn't be longer but they picked great songs for the time they had. Opening with "Old School Off the Bright" was an excellent choice on their part. Even with only an hour on stage Dicky still took the time to introduce every member of the band which no other act, except Joan Jett, did at the festival.

I never thought I'd see Joan Jett with the Bosstones in the same place on the same day but the Blackhearts were awesome. Joan still has a great voice and a ton of energy that all gets conveyed into the audience.

The Dropkick Murphys were ok. Once upon a time they were my favorite band but I didn't know any of the new material they played and could only recognize four or five songs out of their set. I still don't think they sound very good live. They did call the Bosstones their "older brothers" though which won points with me.

All in all the show as a lot of fun, prices were reasonable for a festival, and the line up was eclectic but very good.

Murphys used to be one of my favorite bands too, and seeing the Bosstones with them is what got me into the Bosstones in the first place. They put on an amazing live show. Shame the Murphys went down the toilet though

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

ANOTHER new summer song hit. Haven't listened to it yet, though. Personally I've been really enjoying the summer songs, they sound fairly similar to I Look Like poo poo, so I think if you enjoyed those songs you'd enjoy Summer

i should've bought this :(

I'm really mad I'm missing these, do you think they'll ever be up for individual download? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

3rd Starland show added for The End of the Beginning, opening acts of Dan Potthast, and an "intimate Toh Kay performance." Streetlight setlist will be featuring "exclusive tracks and special requests"
http://www.starlandballroom.com/events/detail/244955

holy poo poo give me all the keasbey nights and botar plz

Just bought a ticket, have no idea how I'm going to get to Sayreville on a work night but fuckit