Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Agatsu posted:

Hi all-

I'm taking my CCNA next week, the -802 combined test. I've collected several sources of practice tests, and none of them have any cli simulation questions in them - it's all multiple choice or t/f. Is that accurate? Can anyone that's taken it recently confirm if there are any simulated "type in the commands to make this happen" questions. Thanks!

The CCNA is guaranteed to have 2-3 simulations on it if I remember correctly. Usually involving something like OSPF, RIP, and setting up some sort of network. Basically any of the examples of stuff they setup in your practice book are probably fair game. Your mileage may differ on the actual simulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Virigoth posted:

The CCNA is guaranteed to have 2-3 simulations on it if I remember correctly. Usually involving something like OSPF, RIP, and setting up some sort of network. Basically any of the examples of stuff they setup in your practice book are probably fair game. Your mileage may differ on the actual simulations.

Thanks Virigoth. None of my practice materials have talked about actual simulations yet, checking these out now. I still have a week, should be enough time to polish out cli stuffs.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Agatsu posted:

Hi all-

I'm taking my CCNA next week, the -802 combined test. I've collected several sources of practice tests, and none of them have any cli simulation questions in them - it's all multiple choice or t/f. Is that accurate? Can anyone that's taken it recently confirm if there are any simulated "type in the commands to make this happen" questions. Thanks!

Anyone that's taken the test can't say what was on it, but Cisco offers a tutorial for the type of questions you'll receive on their website.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Barnsey posted:

Yea, heard about that but I work in UK government and it's based on Prince2 methodology so guess it makes sense to go down that route. I think I would be going over old ground if I was to go for the PMP.

I guess the next logical step for me is to look at MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) or some kind of business related management course. Ideally I want to be involved in more IT strategic decisions but it just feels like management have a hard on for the intense technical guys.

Yeah that's what I figured after going my quick google search on Prince2 it looks to be similar but I think the good thing about a PMP is because it's an internationally recognized cert you might get more milage out of it if you ever decide to leave government work. I can't see why not taking more technical skills would be a downside. I just got my PMP but work doesn't really have a position that I can utilize it full time so I'm moving towards a sysadmin role for now with the hope that in 6-12 mo I can start leading projects and such within that group. I figure it's a good chance to get more hands on with the hardware and software we support while seeing what areas need improvement and trying to bring up solutions from the inside.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Agatsu posted:

Thanks Virigoth. None of my practice materials have talked about actual simulations yet, checking these out now. I still have a week, should be enough time to polish out cli stuffs.

I've been studying CCNA for a few weeks and my practice tests (Boson) have a ton of CLI on them. I do not know if this is realistic or not.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

KetTarma posted:

I've been studying CCNA for a few weeks and my practice tests (Boson) have a ton of CLI on them. I do not know if this is realistic or not.

I started out using the Lammle CCNA study guide book and included cd with practice tests, and I'm learning that the testing style I've been studying with is way oversimplified. I test next Thursday, so I'm happy to learn about this now - while I can pass the tests on the CD, I don't think I'm up to snuff with the actual pearsonvue format. At least I have a few days to correct this.

And just fyi, I'm not asking for anything illegal in terms of actual test content - just trying to familiarize myself with how they are going to ask questions, really. Maybe I'm not the brightest, but so far my impression is this test is serious business. I'll be busting my rear end until Thursday.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Agatsu posted:

I started out using the Lammle CCNA study guide book and included cd with practice tests, and I'm learning that the testing style I've been studying with is way oversimplified. I test next Thursday, so I'm happy to learn about this now - while I can pass the tests on the CD, I don't think I'm up to snuff with the actual pearsonvue format. At least I have a few days to correct this.

And just fyi, I'm not asking for anything illegal in terms of actual test content - just trying to familiarize myself with how they are going to ask questions, really. Maybe I'm not the brightest, but so far my impression is this test is serious business. I'll be busting my rear end until Thursday.

I generally don't kill myself studying for certification tests for my first try. I like to take them, see what is on it and what I have problems with and then study hard and go to pass on the second try. I have killed myself studying for weeks only to take a test and it be nothing like the study guide or vendor example.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Fyi, MS turned SecondShot back on earlier this morning. If you're at all considering getting an MS cert, grab a free voucher now. You don't pay until you pick the exam/pack and book an appointment and they're good through next May.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

dotster posted:

I generally don't kill myself studying for certification tests for my first try. I like to take them, see what is on it and what I have problems with and then study hard and go to pass on the second try. I have killed myself studying for weeks only to take a test and it be nothing like the study guide or vendor example.

While that is by all means an excellent method, I'm fronting the cash on the test out of pocket - I don't have $300 to toss at it for practice. My plan is to rock this all the way through CCNP, so first time passes are my goal.

After having a few hour freakout over reading what the labs are like, I'm confident I can get through this. With a shitton of work, mind you.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

keseph posted:

Fyi, MS turned SecondShot back on earlier this morning. If you're at all considering getting an MS cert, grab a free voucher now. You don't pay until you pick the exam/pack and book an appointment and they're good through next May.

Son of a bitch. I took mine last Wed.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Agatsu posted:

While that is by all means an excellent method, I'm fronting the cash on the test out of pocket - I don't have $300 to toss at it for practice. My plan is to rock this all the way through CCNP, so first time passes are my goal.

After having a few hour freakout over reading what the labs are like, I'm confident I can get through this. With a shitton of work, mind you.

Well that defiantly makes a difference. I am lucky I guess my company pays for all my testing and re-certs. A lot of people I know have had success getting their companies to at least pay for any passed test that is job related.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

keseph posted:

Thank you for the heads up. I already paid for the 686 a couple of weeks ago, but this will be awesome for the server 2012 tests I'll be taking afterwards.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've paid for most of my certifications out of pocket. A few hundred dollars is a drop in the bucket when you consider the ROI on something like a CCNA.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

psydude posted:

I've paid for most of my certifications out of pocket. A few hundred dollars is a drop in the bucket when you consider the ROI on something like a CCNA.

Absolutely true, but I still don't want to pay for it more than once.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

psydude posted:

I guess I am spoiled as I have never worked somewhere that would not pay for cert exams and a few training classes per year. I agree that the cost is trivial vs. the benefit.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I've paid for all of my certifications out of pocket. My prior employer offered to fund my CCNA but also wanted me to sign a one year contract to do so.

Hmmmmmm, $300 or chained down to this hell hole for one more year of hell. Tough decision.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

GOOCHY posted:

I've paid for all of my certifications out of pocket. My prior employer offered to fund my CCNA but also wanted me to sign a one year contract to do so.

Hmmmmmm, $300 or chained down to this hell hole for one more year of hell. Tough decision.

Without some sort of salary increase or a bonus as part of the deal for passing I would only do this if I was very new to IT, probably first year in networking.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

dotster posted:

Without some sort of salary increase or a bonus as part of the deal for passing I would only do this if I was very new to IT, probably first year in networking.

I effectively told them to eat me. Took the test, passed with flying colors, and job jumped for almost $20K in raises.

Don't settle, kids.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

GOOCHY posted:

I paid for all of my MCITP Enterprise Admin, Exchange 2010, and CCNA exams out of pocket due to my employers lovely stance on furthering education for their employees. Even though I had been there 7 years. It took a year to get it all done, but the job offers came quickly, and I've never felt a better sense of catharsis than giving my 2 weeks notice (with nearly 200 vaca hours banked because I killed myself for that job).

So my reward was quitting that poo poo-awful job and moving on to make nearly 2x as much in a better part of the country. So the ROI argument is a good one, but step 1 is almost certainly going to involve peacing out.

e: I should add, that these weren't an effort to educate myself further even. I worked for a firm that consulted specifically on things like AD deployments, Exchange migrations, virtualization, and networking. Being told "no" was absurd.

My new job is great and does things like pay for the required VMWare class, and paid for a couple of us to attend VMWorld last week. I passed my VCP510 with a 405 while I was there, and I remember these things when I am stuck dealing with some late night bullshit. I don't think employers really understand how much simply not saying "no" to helping out with training and certifications help with employee moral.

edit:

GOOCHY posted:

I effectively told them to eat me. Took the test, passed with flying colors, and job jumped for almost $20K in raises.

Don't settle, kids.

Wisdom.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 31, 2013

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

GOOCHY posted:

Don't settle, kids.

Yup, if your company is asking you to take a risk they should expect to compensate you for it.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

keseph posted:

Woo. 70-465 down with a 906. Do I dare shoot for the 88-986 now?

Welp! So much for that idea.
http://sirsql.net/blog/2013/8/30/so-long-mcm

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

That sucks. I don't understand the rational for that...don't you want masters of your technology out there?

Also failed my 70-642. I scored high on everything but network access, which dragged me down. I'm going to spend the next week doubling down and getting that done. Outside of knowing port numbers, most of the questions were "what would you deploy for this solution?".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What the nonsensical hell?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Agatsu posted:

Absolutely true, but I still don't want to pay for it more than once.
Just wanted to say I get it- I assume a lot of the guys in this thread are making IT salaries to at least some degree. On a clerical's salary in a high COL area, gently caress yeah I sweated the thought of having to shell out over $300 on a retake. That's not beer money, it's emergency fund money.

To your earlier questions, without breaking the NDA I think you definitely want to be proficient enough with the CLI that you can pretty thoughtlessly navigate it, at the very least use tab completion and '?' on top of a good feel for the many commands such that you don't need to sit there and think about it. Knowing the poo poo blind from two semesters' worth of labs setting up and tearing down routers and switches was a huge factor in my inishing the test on time.

Best of luck, kick its rear end, fear is the mind-killer etc.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
My second week of CCNA is underway. I am really REALLY liking how the Network Academy is constructed. So far I have not needed to touch the print books as they are exact word for word copies as to what is online.

Getting used to packet tracer and screwing around with a switch with preliminary commands for understanding the CLI.

I like how there are preset activities, it says you need to do XYZ with hand holding, then says do the same thing on Switch 2, but do this (without the handholding) to enforce repetition and retention of the command structure. I have noticed that the labs, as they advance, build on the previous. So instead of just configuring an IP for something in a somewhat later lab, it goes over setting the service password-encryption command, securing the console, setting an enable password etc.

After a few practices of this one lab I can do what I need to to get 100% on that lab without reading the handholding part. Anyway, so far so good, I just hope I dont build up a false sense of confidence like MS did.

As for Networking Academy, the online content is pretty well laid out so far. Easy to read, broken up in nice chunks with accompanying graphics. I really like how it uses Flash to simulate the CLI for learning and testing commands.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

RE: 70-642. All my missed answers are in the supplemental book "Windows ServerŪ 2008 Networking and Network Access Protection (NAP)". A book that is brought up in passing reference in the exam book for the test said book is written for. Microsoft doesn't even recommend this book formally on its exam objectives page.

I'm so livid right now. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I'm not sure if I asked this before, but can Lammle and Odom's materials for the 2007 edition of the CCNA be used over their new books for the new test if you're planning to take the new test? Are the new tests really that different or do they just rearrange, remove and add a few things?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

incoherent posted:

RE: 70-642. All my missed answers are in the supplemental book "Windows ServerŪ 2008 Networking and Network Access Protection (NAP)". A book that is brought up in passing reference in the exam book for the test said book is written for. Microsoft doesn't even recommend this book formally on its exam objectives page.

I'm so livid right now. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Ugh I didn't even know this existed as its one of my weak points as well

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

jane came by posted:

I'm not sure if I asked this before, but can Lammle and Odom's materials for the 2007 edition of the CCNA be used over their new books for the new test if you're planning to take the new test? Are the new tests really that different or do they just rearrange, remove and add a few things?

They're not useless but the new exams go further than the books and add a few new areas of study that I believe weren't normally discussed until CCNP level.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

ToG posted:

They're not useless but the new exams go further than the books and add a few new areas of study that I believe weren't normally discussed until CCNP level.

I know they're retiring the 640-802 CCNA test this month in favor of the new tests you mentioned - but is it safe to assume the current CCNP tests should remain the same for a good while?

Also just to comment per Lammles book - I have it - and after doing some research last week, discovered that the included test materials are pretty weak. Don't lean on being able to pass the test by being able to pass the included quizzing with that book (on the included cd).

I haven't tested yet but I'm glad I went looking for other study materials last week, or I would have been screwed. Still might we will see (I don't think so anymore)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

dotster posted:

That's what I did taking the ICND2 exam Sunday and I think it helped since I thought the new test came out already since I needed a 825 on 45 Q within 75 min. when I thought it was 804 on 50 within 60 min. 7 questions (I counted) also dealt with IPv6 which I had been told wouldn't be on a test pre-9/30

Obviously I failed it (566) but I don't think I wasted $150 on it it gave me a better idea of what the test expected me to know for when I take it again in 3 weeks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm starting my ROUTE studying and I'm learning cool new commands that are going to save me a million years' worth of tediousness. "tclsh" is awesome :stare: I can write a script for my list of pings!

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Island Nation posted:

Obviously I failed it (566) but I don't think I wasted $150 on it it gave me a better idea of what the test expected me to know for when I take it again in 3 weeks.

Taking the test again soon is key. I know tons of people that fail a test and the wait 6-8 months to take it again only to get a whole different test version and basically start over.

I am thinking of taking the CCDE written this week and probably just gonna take it cold to see what it's about.

geera
May 20, 2003
I took the ICND1 class last week and am thinking about when to schedule my CCENT exam. How much time do you all usually give yourselves to study? I don't want to wait 6 weeks or anything like that. Also are there any recommended study materials for the new ICND1 2.0 course? A co-worker of mine took ICND1 several months ago, before it was updated, and it sounds like we covered new material that he didn't (mainly OSPF and IPv6).

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

dotster posted:

Taking the test again soon is key. I know tons of people that fail a test and the wait 6-8 months to take it again only to get a whole different test version and basically start over.

I actually wanted it sooner but the only weekend slot was 3 weeks out. The issue now is having the time to actually study the material (It's almost impossible to do from work).

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

QPZIL posted:

I'm starting my ROUTE studying and I'm learning cool new commands that are going to save me a million years' worth of tediousness. "tclsh" is awesome :stare: I can write a script for my list of pings!

IOS XE will blow your mind

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

dotster posted:

I am thinking of taking the CCDE written this week and probably just gonna take it cold to see what it's about.

The CCDE written is no joke. A triple CCIE consultant that I'm good friends with took the exam and bombed the written so hard that he said he will probably never be able to pass it no matter what he does. It's...a weird exam.

That being said, a CCDE is my ultimate goal and I will hopefully have mine within 5 years, but there is probably a reason there are 25,000+ CCIE R&S and only 100-ish CCDE (even accounting for how long the CCDE has been out). But good luck!

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Protokoll posted:

The CCDE written is no joke. A triple CCIE consultant that I'm good friends with took the exam and bombed the written so hard that he said he will probably never be able to pass it no matter what he does. It's...a weird exam.

That being said, a CCDE is my ultimate goal and I will hopefully have mine within 5 years, but there is probably a reason there are 25,000+ CCIE R&S and only 100-ish CCDE (even accounting for how long the CCDE has been out). But good luck!

Thanks, I just re-certed a with the R&S test about a month ago and I always double up so I only have to worry about it every four years so I need to take a different test. I usually just do R&S and Security but I thought I would change it up.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Sorry, I didn't mean it to come out like that. I hope you nail the loving thing; tests are meant to be passed and/or to teach us lessons in the failing!

I'm actually sitting my R&S written in a few months, so that will be a joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Protokoll posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come out like that. I hope you nail the loving thing; tests are meant to be passed and/or to teach us lessons in the failing!

I'm actually sitting my R&S written in a few months, so that will be a joy.

I wasn't offended. The R&S can be a hard test, I think it is worse now than when I passed back in the multi-protocol days. The CCDE is defiantly different than the rest from talking to friends that have taken it.